• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
verde_team ji

Just my two cents. :) Your own point of view is interesting and your opinion should be respected. Tattoos do not stand in the way of spiritual progress as a Sikh.

... Gurbani does not even mention the word tattoo. So the argument against tattoos cannot be Gurbani based, but rather based on our understanding of the connection between ego and loss of spiritual center. Not on tattoos. And false spirituality can be just as damaging to finding a one's spiritual center as tattoos. Of course discussions of the dangers of ego ...are Gurbani based.

But...Tattoos in a strict sense are not consistent with Sikh identity. The reasons have been explained at length by some thoughtful and reflective members writing on the thread, amidst a lot of emotionalism, which is unfortunate. For some reason, any discussion of tattoos are a lightening rod that attract almost as many sparks as the debate whether Sikhs may eat meat. I am always baffled by the intensity aimed at both topics.

SinghWeapon

SPNer
Sep 4, 2011
Some people get tattoos for show..and to be "coooool". Then theres other people who get tattoos that are of great signifigance to them, they get them for the reason of: perserving a message, remembering a certain event that took place, that when they look at themselves and see the tattoo, they are always reminded of it (whatever the tattoo may be). Your parents name...your family name..something that means alot to you..AN EVENT THAT HAPPENED THAT CHANGED YOUR LIFE FOREVER. For instance..if I had a tattoo on my chest of something very significant and important that I do not want to forget..everytime before I get into the shower, when looking in the mirror, id see that tattoo..and remember what it was that really was. Ya feel me?

Jatti94

SPNer
Nov 8, 2011
this is because Sikhism teaches acceptance of God's will which is why Sikhs are not supposed to remove hait from any part of the body because hair grows, that is the way it is meant to be.

I was always taught this as a child and never got the nerve to question it aloud to anyone, however would cutting your nails not count?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I was always taught this as a child and never got the nerve to question it aloud to anyone, however would cutting your nails not count?
Jatti94 ji welcome to spn and your first post.

Your question is reasonable and worth asking.

It just occurred to me that may be I have a partial answer or some logic that I can share.

We have an eight year old dog. We have to take him to the pet store to get his paw nails clipped. I know any such thing will be unheard of in the farming dogs anywhere or wild dogs or dogs that have lot of ability to run around in open space. So why so for dogs in homes and not in the wild or more free running ones? The answer is that dogs in the wild or similar conditions have a natural activity which grinds these to right size when they run around. Was it the case with human way way back? Perhaps so.

Hence I find a parallel between our needs and others in the animal kingdom with similar needs.

I bet in certain professions and trades people working never cut their nails as these just naturally grind down.

Mind you children without being taught get to bite their nails with their teeth. Some even cry if you ask to cut their nails. So I don't know if this is also instinctive.

So in a way when we got comfy domesticated, we needed to look after certain things and cutting nails is one of these.

Hopefully it kind of makes sense.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

lionsingh

SPNer
Nov 7, 2010
I have ik ong kar tattooed on my right arm !!!

Anyone want to tell me I will go to Hell or be reincarnated as a {censored}roach for that ? :mundaviolin:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I have ik ong kar tattooed on my right arm !!!

Anyone want to tell me I will go to Hell or be reincarnated as a {censored}roach for that ? :mundaviolin:
Lion Singh veer ji Sikhs don't go to hell or heaven no matter what they do. mundahug

They live through what they do here and some escape possible expected results either good or bad, in spite of what they do. This is the mystery of life and it treats Sikhs no different than anyone else. One can simply focus on good to reasonably expect better living but even then there is no guarantee but just a better chance to not get bad/hurtful results.

Sat Sri Akal.

Sikhboy11

SPNer
Nov 22, 2010
I feel that in today's society, we still try to keep sikhism at his most purest form which is obviously good but sikhism has become an opinated religion (not saying other religions aren't) but i feel nowadays people are not! moving with society, i mean 4000 odd years back then when sikhism was formed, of course no one cut their hair or even knew about tattoos but in this society it is hard for one to keep their hair because the world is changing, but with tattoos i feel that it is all down to why do you want it, do you want it to show off and have it as a fashion statement or do you really want it to show your love for sikhi if that is the case then ok fine do it it wouldnt be a sin you would just most probably feel guilt but i just feel that in today's life we make sikhism harder and harder to follow, just when you think finally there's something i can do to feel like sikhs can! fit in with today's society bamm! someone comes along and says "awh noo that's against the religion" and yet we wonder why nobody shows love for sikhism today, it is simply because you just cannot follow every rule of sikhism in today's society but if you do then may god grant you a seat in his kingdom because you truly deserve it!

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
but i feel nowadays people are not! moving with society, i mean 4000 odd years back then when sikhism was formed, of course no one cut their hair or even knew about tattoos but in this society it is hard for one to keep their hair because the world is changing,
Sikhboy11 ji thanks for your post. Can you please clarify the statement underlined about Sikhism 4000 years ago!

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I feel that in today's society, we still try to keep sikhism at his most purest form which is obviously good but sikhism has become an opinated religion (not saying other religions aren't) but i feel nowadays people are not! moving with society, i mean 4000 odd years back then when sikhism was formed, of course no one cut their hair or even knew about tattoos but in this society it is hard for one to keep their hair because the world is changing, but with tattoos i feel that it is all down to why do you want it, do you want it to show off and have it as a fashion statement or do you really want it to show your love for sikhi if that is the case then ok fine do it it wouldnt be a sin you would just most probably feel guilt but i just feel that in today's life we make sikhism harder and harder to follow, just when you think finally there's something i can do to feel like sikhs can! fit in with today's society bamm! someone comes along and says "awh noo that's against the religion" and yet we wonder why nobody shows love for sikhism today, it is simply because you just cannot follow every rule of sikhism in today's society but if you do then may god grant you a seat in his kingdom because you truly deserve it!

Gurfatehji

A slightly Abrahamic view of sikhism here I find, and the time scale is closer than it is to Sikhi, are you sure you are not confusing Sikhism with an Abrahamic religion?

I think in the present day Sikhism is at is most impure, there are too many people coming along and saying 'aw no thats against religion' who have no idea what they are talking about and merely succeed in spreading more rituals and more traditions that are meaningless.

Sikhism is not a religion that is based on guilt or sin, we all try our best to respect the essence of Creator in our heads, if we follow that line, we will have a connection with Creator, if we do not, We will be a slave to the five thieves, and that my friend is it,. no miracles, no hocus pocus, no wierd music while candles flicker, and suddenly, a miracle, the blind man can see, the cripple can walk, none of it,

As for not following every rule in sikhi in todays society, why not? As it happens the most crucial rules are the invisible ones, honesty, love, compassion, truth, making yourself available to help others, keeping hair is not a 'rule' its something that happens to you when you are filled with spirit and connection, not something you do to gain entry to 'heaven', we do not stand in front of white bearded god and say, 'well I wore my turban, can I come in',

We truly deserve NOTHING, we do what we do out of love, with no expectation of reward, no prize, no divine virgins, no ambrosia rice pudding, the only reward is knowing we are acting in consonance with creation, and that should be reward enough

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Harry ji,

Guru Fateh.

We truly deserve NOTHING, we do what we do out of love, with no expectation of reward, no prize, no divine virgins, no ambrosia rice pudding, the only reward is knowing we are acting in consonance with creation, and that should be reward enough

Very well said. Only you could express this idea in such a succulent manner.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: