• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Bhagats Of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
A Brief Introduction on
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Academy Malaysia

"Aayoo sunan paren ko Bani"
The mortal has come to this world to hear and utter the Guru's word.

"Bhagats of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji" aims to provide a detailed narration of the lives of 15 Bhagats whose compositions are included in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. The contents are based on Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji (translation by Giani Hazara Singh and Bhai Vir Singh Ji), Sri Guru Granth Katha Sagar by Pandit Narain Singh, Bhagat Maal, Gurbani De Bhagat Sangkhep Jiwan by Singh Sahib Gyiani Bhai Mani Singh Ji and the Bhagats of the Guru Granth Sahib by Pashaura Singh, Oxford University Press, and Encyclopedia of Sikhism.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
BHAGAT TRILOCHAN JI

Bhagat Trilochan was born in 1267 at village Barsi, district Sholapur in Maharashtra. He belonged to the Vaish caste. He heard about the fame of Bhagat Namdev Ji and reached Narsi Bamni for an audience with him. In his very first meeting, he requested Bhagat Namdev Ji to give him a glimpse of the Almighty. Bhagat Namdev Ji said to Bhagat Trilochan Ji in reply, "You shall also have the sight of Almighty if you contemplate on Him with devotionwhile working with your hands and legs at the same time." However Bhagat Trilochan Ji persuaded Bhagat Namdev Ji to bless him with His glimpse. Bhagat Namdev Ji humbly pleaded to Almighty to fulfill Bhagat Trilochan's request. Bhagat Trilochan Ji adopted Bhagat Namdev Ji as his Guru. Bhagat Trilochan Ji returned to his village and started serving every mendicant who came his way. The company of the holy men liberated him of desire for worldly materials and the fear of death. This resulted in him having glimpses of the Almighty around him.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
There are two versions about this matter. One argues that blind faith is different from idol worship. And another version directs us to Bhagat Dhanna Ji's bani and asks where is it written anything about an idol ?
Both versions do not support the idol worship.

See this video clip for motivation : YouTube - Bhagat Dhanna Jatt - Thakur eats food and works in farms

Jun 1, 2008
Sat shri akal,
oh so it means Bhagat Dhanna ji was not an idol worshiper. people some times convert personal opinions into facts.:yes: tahnk you namjap ji;)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sat shri akal,
oh so it means Bhagat Dhanna ji was not an idol worshiper. people some times convert personal opinions into facts.:yes: tahnk you namjap ji;)

Saint Solioer ji

More and more, and for reasons I do not understand, that there are a lot of people that will twist almost anything about Sikhism and the Holy Granth to suit their purposes. :rolleyes: Just a little reading and it should become clear why Bhagat Dhanna's Bani is included in the Guru Granth, and why it does not support idol worship. Too bad you were badgered on this point. :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
BHAGAT DHANNA JI

In 1416, some 53 years before the parkash of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, Dhanna Ji was born in the Dhuan village near Mumbai to a Jatt family. His parents were very poor farmers.

At a very young age, Dhanna Ji was asked to take care of the family's buffaloes. He worked very hard herding the buffaloes daily.

Outside the village, there was a temple with murthis or statues of deities. Villagers used to stop by in the morning to pay respect to the deities and give food and other offerings. However, these were used by the temple's Brahmin priests or pandit for his own consumption.

Almighty's Worship

Everyday, Dhanna Ji used to observe a pandit called Pandit Tirlochan (don't confuse it with Bhagat Trilochan) rendering his prayer services, ringing the bell, bathing the statues of deities and performing various rituals for the villagers who came to pray.

One day, Dhanna Ji asked the pandit for an explanation of the rituals, the answer of which, are narrated by Bhai Gurdas Ji in Vaar 10 Pauri 13, as follows:-

ਬਾਮ੍ਹਣੁ ਪੂਜੈ ਦੇਵਤੇ ਧੰਨਾ ਗਊ ਚਰਾਵਣਿ ਆਵੈ ।
baamhanu poojai dayvatay dhannaa gaoo charaavani aavai|
A brahman would worship gods (in the form of stone idols) where Dhanna used to graze his cow.

ਧੰਨੈ ਡਿਠਾ ਚਲਿਤੁ ਏਹੁ ਪੂਛੈ ਬਾਮ੍ਹਣੁ ਆਖਿ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ।
dhannai ditdaa chalitu ayhu poochhai baamhanu aakhi sunaavai|
On seeing his worship, Dhanna asked the brahman what he was doing.

ਠਾਕੁਰ ਦੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰੇ ਜੋ ਇਛੈ ਸੋਈ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਵੈ ।
tdaakur dee sayvaa karay jo ichhai soee dhalu paavai|
“Service to the Thakur (God) gives the desired fruit,” replied the brahman.

ਧੰਨਾ ਕਰਦਾ ਜੋਦੜੀ ਮੈ ਭਿ ਦੇਹ ਇਕ ਜੇ ਤੁਧੁ ਭਾਵੈ ।
dhannaa karadaa jodarhee mai bhi dayh ik jay tudhu bhaavai|
Dhanna requested, “O brahman, if you agree kindly give one to me.”

ਪਥਰੁ ਇਕੁ ਲਪੇਟਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੇ ਧੰਨੈ ਨੋ ਗੈਲ ਛੁਡਾਵੈ ।
padaru iku|apayti kari day dhannai no gail chhudaavai|
The brahman rolled a stone, gave it to Dhanna and thus got rid of him.

ਠਾਕੁਰ ਨੋ ਨ੍ਹਾਵਾਲਿ ਕੈ ਛਾਹਿ ਰੋਟੀ ਲੈ ਭੋਗੁ ਚੜ੍ਹਾਵੈ ।
tdaakur no nhaavaali kai chhaahi rotee|ai bhogu charhhaavai|
Dhanna bathed the Thakur and offered him bread and buttermilk.

ਹਥਿ ਜੋੜਿ ਮਿਨਤਿ ਕਰੈ ਪੈਰੀ ਪੈ ਪੈ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਮਨਾਵੈ ।
hadi jorhi minati karai pairee pai pai bahutu manaavai|
With folded hands and falling at the feet of the stone he begged for his service to be accepted.

ਹਉ ਭੀ ਮੁਹੁ ਨ ਜੁਠਾਲਸਾਂ ਤੂ ਰੁਠਾ ਮੈ ਕਿਹੁ ਨ ਸੁਖਾਵੈ ।
hau bhee muhu n jutdaalasaan too rutdaa mai kihu n sukhaavai|
Dhanna said, “I will also not eat because how can I be happy if you are annoyed.”

ਗੋਸਾਈ ਪਰਤਖਿ ਹੋਇ ਰੋਟੀ ਖਾਹਿ ਛਾਹਿ ਮੁਹਿ ਲਾਵੈ ।
gosaaee paratakhi hoi rotee khaahi chhaahi muhi|aavai|
(Seeing his true and loving devotion) God was forced to appear and eat his bread and buttermilk.

ਭੋਲਾ ਭਾਉ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੁ ਮਿਲਾਵੈ ॥੧੩॥
bholaa bhaau gobindu milaavai ॥13॥
In fact, innocence like that of Dhanna makes the sight of the Lord available.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Dhanna Ji, requested the priest to give him one of the (salgram) statues so that he may do his own prayers. In his innocent mind, he felt that by pleasing the Almighty, he would be able to ask for blessings to ease his poverty.

The pandit replied, "The Almighty will not be pleased with you. For one, you are a Jatt. Jatts are not capable of performing ritual prayers or worship and neither does a Jatt have the right to keep the deity. Secondly, you are uneducated. An uneducated man represents the birth of a buffalo. Thirdly, the Almighty does not live anywhere else other than the temple. As such, do not argue, let the Brahmins carry out their responsibility of worship and you continue taking care of your farm.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
The pandits used to touch the murti's mouth with the food and then take it back home for their own meal.

Innocent Dhanna did not know what the pandits did daily (typical idol worship). Dhanna, having complete faith within himself, believed that the offerings were indeed consumed by the murthis.

Almighty's Glimpse

Bhagat Dhanna fasted for 5 whole days without receiving the results as the Almighty did not appear. On the 6th day, observing Dhanna's strong faith and perseverance, the Almighty noted that Dhanna was indeed a true devotee. Letting him down would make the universe believe that prayers go unanswered and people might just abandon their prayers.

Dhanna Ji continued to wait with his eyes focused on the murthi. Within the hour, Dhanna Ji has a vision of Almighty eating the bread with makhan and drinking the lassi.
Dhanna Ji exclaimed, "My Almighty, you have come! You are eating my food!"

The Almighty ate the food and left very little of it as seit parshad and then said, "Dhanna, you may request for something. I am pleased with you."

Dhanna clasped his hands in prayer and said:

ਧੰਨਾ
धंना ॥
Ḏẖannā.
Dhannaa:

ਗੋਪਾਲ ਤੇਰਾ ਆਰਤਾ
गोपाल तेरा आरता ॥
Gopāl ṯerā ārṯā.
O Lord of the world, this is Your lamp-lit worship service.

ਜੋ ਜਨ ਤੁਮਰੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰੰਤੇ ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਕਾਜ ਸਵਾਰਤਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
जो जन तुमरी भगति करंते तिन के काज सवारता ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Jo jan ṯumrī bẖagaṯ karanṯe ṯin ke kāj savāraṯā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
You are the Arranger of the affairs of those humble beings who perform Your devotional worship service. ||1||Pause||

ਦਾਲਿ ਸੀਧਾ ਮਾਗਉ ਘੀਉ
दालि सीधा मागउ घीउ ॥
Ḏāl sīḏẖā māga▫o gẖī▫o.
Lentils, flour and ghee - these things, I beg of You.

ਹਮਰਾ ਖੁਸੀ ਕਰੈ ਨਿਤ ਜੀਉ
हमरा खुसी करै नित जीउ ॥
Hamrā kẖusī karai niṯ jī▫o.
My mind shall ever be pleased.

ਪਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀਆ ਛਾਦਨੁ ਨੀਕਾ
पन्हीआ छादनु नीका ॥
Panĥī▫ā cẖẖāḏan nīkā.
Shoes, fine clothes,

ਅਨਾਜੁ ਮਗਉ ਸਤ ਸੀ ਕਾ ॥੧॥
अनाजु मगउ सत सी का ॥१॥
Anāj maga▫o saṯ sī kā. ||1||
and grain of seven kinds - I beg of You. ||1||

ਗਊ ਭੈਸ ਮਗਉ ਲਾਵੇਰੀ
गऊ भैस मगउ लावेरी ॥
Ga▫ū bẖais maga▫o lāverī.
A milk cow, and a water buffalo, I beg of You,

ਇਕ ਤਾਜਨਿ ਤੁਰੀ ਚੰਗੇਰੀ
इक ताजनि तुरी चंगेरी ॥
Ik ṯājan ṯurī cẖangerī.
and a fine Turkestani horse.

ਘਰ ਕੀ ਗੀਹਨਿ ਚੰਗੀ
घर की गीहनि चंगी ॥
Gẖar kī gīhan cẖangī.
A good wife to care for my home -

ਜਨੁ ਧੰਨਾ ਲੇਵੈ ਮੰਗੀ ॥੨॥੪॥
जनु धंना लेवै मंगी ॥२॥४॥
Jan ḏẖannā levai mangī. ||2||4||
Your humble servant Dhanna begs for these things, Lord. ||2||4||

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
One day Bhagat Ji was passing by the temple where the Pandit Trilochan was performing his worship. Pandit stopped Bhagat Ji:

Pandit : Dhanna, are you worshiping the salgram thakur ?

Dhanna: Now I don't worship the salgram anymore. But for the first five days I was in pain as the Almighty refused to accept the food. I thought he was angry with me, therefore I fasted for 5 days as well. At last on the 6th day, the Almighty appeared before me and consumed the food. From that day onwards, the Almighty consumes food every morning and I finish the left over food of the Almighty. After breakfast the Almighty goes to graze the cows and in the mean time I stay back to do other work.

Pandit: Are you sure the Almighty manifested from the salgram (stone) that I gave you? I have spent my entire life in the Almighty's worship but never before have I seen Him consuming the food physically.

Dhanna: (Surprised) You mean you never had the glimpse of Almighty? Then how do you feed the Almighty daily?

Pandit: We Pandits usually pray and touch a bit of the food offered on the salgram (piece of stone) and consume the food ourselves. This is the practice from ages.

Dhanna: I serve the Almighty and talk with Him all the time.Whenever I call upon Him, He is always there to listen and guide me. I see Him within the entire creation including you.

kiram

SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
"Dhanna: I serve the Almighty and talk with Him all the time.Whenever I call upon Him, He is always there to listen and guide me. I see Him within the entire creation including you."

:wah:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
BHAGAT TRILOCHAN JI

Bhagat Trilochan was born in 1267 at village Barsi, district Sholapur in Maharashtra. He belonged to the Vaish caste. He heard about the fame of Bhagat Namdev Ji and reached Narsi Bamni for an audience with him. In his very first meeting, he requested Bhagat Namdev Ji to give him a glimpse of the Almighty. Bhagat Namdev Ji said to Bhagat Trilochan Ji in reply, "You shall also have the sight of Almighty if you contemplate on Him with devotionwhile working with your hands and legs at the same time." However Bhagat Trilochan Ji persuaded Bhagat Namdev Ji to bless him with His glimpse. Bhagat Namdev Ji humbly pleaded to Almighty to fulfill Bhagat Trilochan's request. Bhagat Trilochan Ji adopted Bhagat Namdev Ji as his Guru. Bhagat Trilochan Ji returned to his village and started serving every mendicant who came his way. The company of the holy men liberated him of desire for worldly materials and the fear of death. This resulted in him having glimpses of the Almighty around him.

Guru Piayare Naamjapp Ji..
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh.

This story is one real jewel of wisdom. Almost everyone i meet wants to get a "glimpse" of the Almighty..in a few seconds after being persuaded to begin Naam japp/Gurbani Vichaar/AmrtiVela paath nitnem etc....even 60 and one 85 year old Gurbani student who joined my class to learn Gurbani and vichaar etc..wanted me to show him..."even for a just a second..what GURU JI..waheguru looks like.....looks like people NEVER CHANGE ??? Bhagat tarlochan ji also wanted to see GOD asap...

2. But what i disagree with is "mendicant".... First of all "POVERTY" is NOT a VIRTUE in Gurmatt. A Sikh of the GURU is a SARDAAR..a KING...becasue He serves the Sacha Patshah..King of Kings...Shaahna da Shenshah.....so being a mendicant is not necessarily "holiness"....a dirty scumbag of a beggar is "despised" ???? becasue he wont engage in HONEST LABOUR and wants free food ??? Gurmatt stresses on Dassan nauhan dee kamii..Honest labour and sharing of its fruits..vehlarr "holy men" who do no work but feed off the labour of householders have no place in Gurmatt/Sikhi. ONLY "naam jamaii" MINUS hard work is a NO NO..and it is proven by the Farming work done by GURU NANAK JI SAHIB....and the other Guru Sahibs who also had work to sustain themsleves and DID NOT CONSUME free gifts ONLY. Many modern day "sants" have no such work and depend solely on sangat donations....these i despise as vehlarr thugghs.
Each genuine holy man follower of Guru nanak ji should have at least a part time JOB that earns honest income for his daily needs...Bhagat Pooran Singh ji had a "job" as well.

Mnay Thanks for this uplifting series...as well as the Womderful shabads you have been putting up recently.....just continue to emphasise that "mere rote parrotting" wont help...each shabd requires love/devotion/pyaar/genuine shrdha...and most importantly GURU CANNOT BE "HURRIED"....to grant our requests !!! I personally can guarantee that GURU JI LISTENS...simply becasue i have the proof that HE DOES...and the one who reads and vichaars Gurbani as it is meant to be will also be HEARD and then he/she willget his/her personal PROOF as well. Tape Players/Cd Players/Dvd Players that play Gurbani Kirtan 24/7 remain Tape players/cd players/dvd players...NO MUKTEE..the Shabds bring JEEWAN MUKTEE ONLY to the genuine SIKHS.

Chardeekalla Jio:thumbup:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Sat shri akal,:D

Most of the stories by Bhai Gurdas are fairy tails:rofl!!:
All the above examples that you have given show that Bhagat Dhanna was an idol worshiper and he even fasted man thats abusive.
I don't consider any of the stories to be true. Bhagat Dhanna was chosen by Guru Nanak to be amongst other Bhagtas he must have exhibited some qualities because of which Guru Sahib selected him.
I guess Bhai Gurudas will earn good money as a bollywood story writer:rofl!!:

Read GURU ARJUN JI SAHIB's Gurbani in SGGS for the REAL story of Bhagat Dhanna Ji.
IN FACT GURU JI took the trouble to MENTION just about EVERY BHAGAT whose bani is inlcuded in the SGGS...AND YES>>>GURU JI TELLS US<<<<< that ALL the Bhagts attained SAINTHOOD through NAAM BHAGTEE. The menial Cobbler Ravidass became famous through the power of Naam Bhagtee...the Lowly weaver Kabir also became a hoisehold name due to Naam Bhagtee....and HEARING HOW THESE BHAGATS DID NAAM BHAGTEE.....DHANNA JI also began to do....NAAM BHAGTEE...declares GURU ARJUN JI.

Guur Arjun Ji makes no mention of any stone...round/square/smooth/saalgram..whatever.....No mention of any pandit brahmin whatever who owned the stone previously... blah blah blah...

WHY did GURU ARJUN JI write this particular shabad....PRECISELY because the Pandit/Brahmin Lobby had begun to spread THIS TALL TALE about the so called stone that a Pandit gave to dhanna....see how "extremely valuable even a throw away discarded stone from a PANDIT can be ?? Even IF a Pandit discards a useless stone..it has the power to bring forth the "bhagwaan" ???? Thats how powerful a Brahmin really is....If you still doubt..READ the Puranas..the Mahabharta..the Ramayan...SEE how even the "Bhagwaans" Krishan Raam etc ALSO have to BOW to the "pandiots/Rishis...clean their Ashrams..sweep their compounds...go BEG food for them........ FIRST and Foremost...before even their "Bhagwaanness" can be established...IN this world the PANDIDIOTS RULE...bhagwaans and bhagats come second....

Still dont beleive it...then READ Bhgat DHANNA JIS OWN Shabds in the SGGS. Find any that confirms the idle-stone theory ?? NONE...ZILCH...WHY didnt Dhanna Ji write a shabad about this all importnant STONE that made him see the Bhagwaan !! ????

2. It is a undeniable FACT that ONLY and ONLY the SGGS has escaped ADULTERATION due to the exteme hard abour done by GURU ARJUN JI SAHIB in METICULOUSLY numbering each and every couplet/shabad etc...so that NOT a word can be added/deleted without being found out....BIT ALL other works..and this inlcudes the Bhai gurdass Varaan ( see how unashamedly a FAKE 41st Vaar was SURREPTIOUSLY ADDED to the 40 Vaars of Bhai gurdass around 1900's )...are open to adulteration..additions deletions..changes etc.

THUS ALL works MUST be judged at the TOUCHSTONE of sacred Gurbani of SGGS. Each must pass this Litmus TEST of GURBANI dee kaswattee te.:whisling:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Gyani Ji,

I'm glad you've involved yourself in this adventure because, yes, like sainty Ji, I too will have some queries from time to time. :yes: The following is a continuation of Bhagat Dhanna Ji.

Continuation from Post #11

Pandit : Although I am physically close to Him, I am not close to him spiritually. Please request the Almighty to bless me with His glimpse as He never turns down the request of His beloved. I will only obtain the Almighty's glimpse upon your blessings as you are the beloved Bhagat of His. You are very great Dhanna, please bless me!

Dhanna : Pandit Ji, let's go to the field now where the Almighty is gazing the cows and I will request Him to bless you His glimpse.

Both of them walked to the field where the Almighty was buzy gazing the cows. Bhagat Dhanna Ji asked the Pandit to look from a distance and said, "The Almighty is just in front there gazing the cows. Look! how handsome He is and the mind becomes calm upon looking at Him. He is more radiant than everything else."
Pandit could not see anything other than the cows roaming freely in the open field. He rubbed his eyes and focused on the direction showed by Bhagat Dhanna. After attempting for a while Pandit said, "I cannot see the Almighty. Will you please forward my request to him?"

Through Bhagat Dhanna Ji, the Almighty blessed Pandit Trilochan with His glimpse and this event became a turning point in the Pandit's life.

The Last Days

Bhagat Dhanna Ji lived a married life engrossed in meditation till his last breath.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
BHAGAT TRILOCHAN JI

BHAGAT TRILOCHAN JI continuation.........

With the passage of time, Bhagat Trilochan became very famous among the saints. One group of another was always present at his place. His wife has to cater to the increasing need for food brought about by daily increase in the number of visiting saints. One day Bhagat Trilochan Ji's wife told him that they need a servant to assist in the increased work load. Bhagat Trilochan Ji sensibly acknowledged this need and acted upon it immediately. On his way out of his house in search of a servant, surprisingly a child at the door in a worn-out shawl and broken shoe. Bhagat Ji inquired, "Where are you from? Who are your parents? Which town are you from?"
The servant child answered, "I don't have any parents and I don't belong to any town. I only stay with those whom my character becomes attuned to and I leave immediately once there is a conflict.

Bhagat Ji asked, "How can there be a conflict?"
Child servant, "My daily consumption of food is approximately 4.5kg to 6.35 kg, therefore sometimes the house owner gets angry with my need for food. When this happens, I leave immediately. It is my responsibility to render services to all the four castes. I don't need anyone's help, because with a focused mind, I am able to complete everything although it requires various skills."

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
The child servant told Bhagat Trilochan that his name was Antarjami (also means the knower of all hearts).Before handing over the chores and duties to Antarjami, Bhagat Trilochan Ji told his wife:"Please do not say any unkind words to this new servant and feed him to his satisfaction, as much as he wants. Do not comment on his eating habits and do not tell anyone about it. Difficulties will come to the person who fusses about it."

Dear members, my imagination is already running wild on what will follow.
:inca:Stay tuned!:happy:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Saints continued to come and go, while Antarjami continued to serve them diligently.
The saints were very pleased with Antarjami
and always praised him as a "bhagat" and "gurmukh'.
These praises brought along with it praises for Trilochan Ji and thw whole town came to know about it.
A year had passed since Antarjami came to Bhagat Trilochan.
One day, Bhagat Ji's wife was chatting with her neighbor.
Her neighbor asked, "Why do you look so depressed?
Your face used to look so radiant but now you are starting to look pale. What is the matter?"
Trilochan's wife said, "I do not know where to start.
I am growing old but the number of saints are growing.
I have to continuously grind the grains for flour. And also, my servant..."
She refrained herself from continuing further but her neighbour urged her to continue:
"Why did you stop. Please tell me, at least you will feel better."
Reluctantly, Bhagat Trilochan's wife continued: "But, Trilochan Ji has warned me not to tell anyone about this,
but because you are like a sister to me, I will tell you but you must not tell anyone.
Our servant is a real glutton, he eats tirelessly and I just can't cope with my cooking for him day and night.
My husband does not say anything to him. I am so fed up. To make matters worse, I am getting older.
If everything in the house is consumed by the servant, what will we eat in our old age.
When we are helpless and have no money in our old age, nobody will bother about us."
The neighbour added: "Bhagat Trilochan Ji is making a mistake; he should not employ such a servant.
Chase him out of the house and replace him with someone else."

As Trilochan's wife was so engrossed in the conversation, she lost track of time and it was already
late for her to cook dinner. She thought that the servant would have already started cooking.
But the servant was "Antarjami" (knower of all hearts) as such he had knowledge of the whole conversation.
He immediately left Trilochan Ji's house in accordance with his condition to Trilochan Ji.
He left the doors ajar and the house unattended.
He disappeared and returned to his original form - the Almighty Himself.
For days, Trilochan Ji searched for the servant but in vain.

One day while he was asleep, a voice cried: "Hey Trilochan, your servant, Antarjami
was indeed "antarjami", the Almighty himself. He came to give you his glimpse (darshan).
The Almighty came to you on the recommendation of Bhagat Namdev Ji."

Bhagat Trilochan Ji's hymn in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji explains:-

ਧਨਾਸਰੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਭਗਤਾਂ ਕੀ ਤ੍ਰਿਲੋਚਨ
धनासरी बाणी भगतां की त्रिलोचन
Ḏẖanāsrī baṇī bẖagṯāʼn kī Ŧrilocẖan
Dhanaasaree, The Word Of Devotee Trilochan Jee:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਨਿੰਦਸਿ ਕਾਇ ਭੂਲੀ ਗਵਾਰੀ
नाराइण निंदसि काइ भूली गवारी ॥
Nārā▫iṇ ninḏas kā▫e bẖūlī gavārī.
Why do you slander the Lord? You are ignorant and deluded.

ਦੁਕ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਥਾਰੋ ਕਰਮੁ ਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
दुक्रितु सुक्रितु थारो करमु री ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Ḏukariṯ sukariṯ thāro karam rī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Pain and pleasure are the result of your own actions. ||1||Pause||

ਸੰਕਰਾ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਬਸਤਾ ਸੁਰਸਰੀ ਇਸਨਾਨ ਰੇ
संकरा मसतकि बसता सुरसरी इसनान रे ॥
Sankrā masṯak basṯā sursarī isnān re.
The moon dwells in Shiva's forehead; it takes its cleansing bath in the Ganges.

ਕੁਲ ਜਨ ਮਧੇ ਮਿਲ੍ਯ੍ਯਿ​*ੋ ਸਾਰਗ ਪਾਨ ਰੇ
कुल जन मधे मिल्यि​*ो सारग पान रे ॥
Kul jan maḏẖe mili▫yo sārag pān re.
Among the men of the moon's family, Krishna was born;

ਕਰਮ ਕਰਿ ਕਲੰਕੁ ਮਫੀਟਸਿ ਰੀ ॥੧॥

करम करि कलंकु मफीटसि री ॥१॥
Karam kar kalank mafītas rī. ||1||
even so, the stains from its past actions remain on the moon's face. ||1||

ਬਿਸ੍ਵ ਕਾ ਦੀਪਕੁ ਸ੍ਵਾਮੀ ਤਾ ਚੇ ਰੇ ਸੁਆਰਥੀ ਪੰਖੀ ਰਾਇ ਗਰੁੜ ਤਾ ਚੇ ਬਾਧਵਾ
बिस्व का दीपकु स्वामी ता चे रे सुआरथी पंखी राइ गरुड़ ता चे बाधवा ॥
Bisav kā ḏīpak savāmī ṯā cẖe re su▫ārthī pankẖī rā▫e garuṛ ṯā cẖe bāḏẖvā.
Aruna was a charioteer; his master was the sun, the lamp of the world. His brother was Garuda, the king of birds;

ਕਰਮ ਕਰਿ ਅਰੁਣ ਪਿੰਗੁਲਾ ਰੀ ॥੨॥
करम करि अरुण पिंगुला री ॥२॥
Karam kar aruṇ pingulā rī. ||2||
and yet, Aruna was made a cripple, because of the karma of his past actions. ||2||

ਅਨਿਕ ਪਾਤਿਕ ਹਰਤਾ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਨਾਥੁ ਰੀ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਭ੍ਰਮਤਾ ਲਹੈ ਪਾਰੁ ਰੀ
अनिक पातिक हरता त्रिभवण नाथु री तीरथि तीरथि भ्रमता लहै न पारु री ॥
Anik pāṯik harṯā ṯaribẖavaṇ nāth rī ṯirath ṯirath bẖarmaṯā lahai na pār rī.
Shiva, the destroyer of countless sins, the Lord and Master of the three worlds,
wandered from sacred shrine to sacred shrine; he never found an end to them.

ਕਰਮ ਕਰਿ ਕਪਾਲੁ ਮਫੀਟਸਿ ਰੀ ॥੩॥
करम करि कपालु मफीटसि री ॥३॥
Karam kar kapāl mafītas rī. ||3||
And yet, he could not erase the karma of cutting off Brahma's head. ||3||

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਸੀਅ ਧੇਨ ਲਛਿਮੀ ਕਲਪਤਰ ਸਿਖਰਿ ਸੁਨਾਗਰ ਨਦੀ ਚੇ ਨਾਥੰ
अम्रित ससीअ धेन लछिमी कलपतर सिखरि सुनागर नदी चे नाथं ॥
Amriṯ sasī▫a ḏẖen lacẖẖimī kalpaṯar sikẖar sunāgar naḏī cẖe nāthaʼn.
Through the nectar, the moon, the wish-fulfilling cow, Lakshmi, the miraculous tree of life,
Sikhar the sun's horse, and Dhanavantar the wise physician - all arose from the ocean, the lord of rivers;

ਕਰਮ ਕਰਿ ਖਾਰੁ ਮਫੀਟਸਿ ਰੀ ॥੪॥
करम करि खारु मफीटसि री ॥४॥
Karam kar kẖār mafītas rī. ||4||
and yet, because of its karma, its saltiness has not left it. ||4||

ਦਾਧੀਲੇ ਲੰਕਾ ਗੜੁ ਉਪਾੜੀਲੇ ਰਾਵਣ ਬਣੁ ਸਲਿ ਬਿਸਲਿ ਆਣਿ ਤੋਖੀਲੇ ਹਰੀ
दाधीले लंका गड़ु उपाड़ीले रावण बणु सलि बिसलि आणि तोखीले हरी ॥
Ḏāḏẖīle lankā gaṛ upāṛīle rāvaṇ baṇ sal bisal āṇ ṯokẖīle harī.
Hanuman burnt the fortress of Sri Lanka, uprooted the garden of Raawan, and brought
healing herbs for the wounds of Lachhman, pleasing Lord Raamaa;

ਕਰਮ ਕਰਿ ਕਛਉਟੀ ਮਫੀਟਸਿ ਰੀ ॥੫॥
करम करि कछउटी मफीटसि री ॥५॥
Karam kar kacẖẖ▫utī mafītas rī. ||5||
and yet, because of his karma, he could not be rid of his loin cloth. ||5||

ਪੂਰਬਲੋ ਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਕਰਮੁ ਮਿਟੈ ਰੀ ਘਰ ਗੇਹਣਿ ਤਾ ਚੇ ਮੋਹਿ ਜਾਪੀਅਲੇ ਰਾਮ ਚੇ ਨਾਮੰ
पूरबलो क्रित करमु न मिटै री घर गेहणि ता चे मोहि जापीअले राम चे नामं ॥
Pūrbalo kiraṯ karam na mitai rī gẖar gehaṇ ṯā cẖe mohi jāpī▫ale rām cẖe nāmaʼn.
The karma of past actions cannot be erased, O wife of my house; this is why
I chant the Name of the Lord.

ਬਦਤਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਲੋਚਨ ਰਾਮ ਜੀ ॥੬॥੧॥
बदति त्रिलोचन राम जी ॥६॥१॥
Baḏaṯ Ŧrilocẖan rām jī. ||6||1||
So prays Trilochan, Dear Lord. ||6||1||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Upon hearing Bhagat Trilochan's sermons in the hymn above, his wife understood that life's joys and pains are brought about by man performing misdeeds instead of singing the praises of God. Thereafter, she was in bliss.

Many a time some hypocrite saint would come to Bhagat Trilochan. And Bhagat Trilochan would advice them:-

ਗੂਜਰੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਤ੍ਰਿਲੋਚਨ ਜੀਉ ਕੇ ਪਦੇ ਘਰੁ
गूजरी स्री त्रिलोचन जीउ के पदे घरु १
Gūjrī sarī Ŧrilocẖan jī▫o ke paḏe gẖar 1
Goojaree, Padas Of Trilochan Jee, First House:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਅੰਤਰੁ ਮਲਿ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੀਨਾ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਭੇਖ ਉਦਾਸੀ
अंतरु मलि निरमलु नही कीना बाहरि भेख उदासी ॥
Anṯar mal nirmal nahī kīnā bāhar bẖekẖ uḏāsī.
You have not cleansed the filth from within yourself, although outwardly, you wear the dress of a renunciate.

ਹਿਰਦੈ ਕਮਲੁ ਘਟਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਚੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਕਾਹੇ ਭਇਆ ਸੰਨਿਆਸੀ ॥੧॥
हिरदै कमलु घटि ब्रहमु न चीन्हा काहे भइआ संनिआसी ॥१॥
Hirḏai kamal gẖat barahm na cẖīnĥā kāhe bẖa▫i▫ā sani▫āsī. ||1||
In the heart-lotus of your self, you have not recognized God - why have you become a Sannyaasee? ||1||

ਭਰਮੇ ਭੂਲੀ ਰੇ ਜੈ ਚੰਦਾ

भरमे भूली रे जै चंदा ॥
Bẖarme bẖūlī re jai cẖanḏā.
Deluded by doubt, O Jai Chand,

ਨਹੀ ਨਹੀ ਚੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿਆ ਪਰਮਾਨੰਦਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

नही नही चीन्हिआ परमानंदा ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Nahī nahī cẖīnĥi▫ā parmānanḏā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
you have not realized the Lord, the embodiment of supreme bliss. ||1||Pause||

ਘਰਿ ਘਰਿ ਖਾਇਆ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਬਧਾਇਆ ਖਿੰਥਾ ਮੁੰਦਾ ਮਾਇਆ
घरि घरि खाइआ पिंडु बधाइआ खिंथा मुंदा माइआ ॥
Gẖar gẖar kẖā▫i▫ā pind baḏẖā▫i▫ā kẖinthā munḏa mā▫i▫ā.
You eat in each and every house, fattening your body; you wear the
patched coat and the ear-rings of the beggar, for the sake of wealth.

ਭੂਮਿ ਮਸਾਣ ਕੀ ਭਸਮ ਲਗਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਤਤੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੨॥

भूमि मसाण की भसम लगाई गुर बिनु ततु न पाइआ ॥२॥
Bẖūm masāṇ kī bẖasam lagā▫ī gur bin ṯaṯ na pā▫i▫ā. ||2||
You apply the ashes of cremation to your body, but without a Guru, you have not found the essence of reality. ||2||

ਕਾਇ ਜਪਹੁ ਰੇ ਕਾਇ ਤਪਹੁ ਰੇ ਕਾਇ ਬਿਲੋਵਹੁ ਪਾਣੀ
काइ जपहु रे काइ तपहु रे काइ बिलोवहु पाणी ॥
Kā▫e japahu re kā▫e ṯaphu re kā▫e bilovahu pāṇī.
Why bother to chant your spells? Why bother to practice austerities? Why bother to churn water?

ਲਖ ਚਉਰਾਸੀਹ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਉਪਾਈ ਸੋ ਸਿਮਰਹੁ ਨਿਰਬਾਣੀ ॥੩॥
लख चउरासीह जिन्हि उपाई सो सिमरहु निरबाणी ॥३॥
Lakẖ cẖa▫orāsīh jiniĥ upā▫ī so simrahu nirbāṇī. ||3||
Meditate on the Lord of Nirvaanaa, who has created the 8.4 million species of beings. ||3||

ਕਾਇ ਕਮੰਡਲੁ ਕਾਪੜੀਆ ਰੇ ਅਠਸਠਿ ਕਾਇ ਫਿਰਾਹੀ

काइ कमंडलु कापड़ीआ रे अठसठि काइ फिराही ॥
Kā▫e kamandal kāpṛī▫ā re aṯẖsaṯẖ kā▫e firā▫ī.
Why bother to carry the water-pot, O saffron-robed Yogi? Why bother to visit the sixty-eight holy places of pilgrimage?

ਬਦਤਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਲੋਚਨੁ ਸੁਨੁ ਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਕਣ ਬਿਨੁ ਗਾਹੁ ਕਿ ਪਾਹੀ ॥੪॥੧॥

बदति त्रिलोचनु सुनु रे प्राणी कण बिनु गाहु कि पाही ॥४॥१॥
Baḏaṯ Ŧrilocẖan sun re parāṇī kaṇ bin gāhu kė pāhī. ||4||1||
Says Trilochan, listen, mortal: you have no corn - what are you trying to thresh? ||4||1||

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: