• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Bhagats Of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Bhagat Parmanand

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
PARMANAND, a Maharashtrian saint-poet, one of whose hymns is included in the Guru Granth Sahib. Born probably in 1483, he is believed to have resided at Bãrsi, situated to the north of Pandharpur, in present-day Sholãpur district of Mahãrãshtra. Parmãnand was a devotee of Vishnu and used in his songs the nom de plume Sarañg, the name of a bird ever thirsty for the rain*drop. He always longed for God whom he worshiped in the Vaisnavite manifestation of Krsna. He used to make, it is said, seven hundred genuflections daily to God on his uncovered, often bleeding, knees. He believe for a long time that God could be worshiped as an Image only, but later he had the realization that the nirguna Supreme, God unmanifest, could also be loved and prayed to. Parminand’s one hymn incorporated in the Guru Granth Sahib (p. 1253) subscribes to this view. In this hymn, he disapproves of the ritualistic reading and hearing of the sacred books If that has not disposed to the service of fellow beings.He commends sincere devotion which could be imbibed from the company of holy saints. Lust, wrath, avarice, slander have to be expunged for they render all seva, ie. service, fruitless.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Bhagat Parmanand - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.

ਸਾਰੰਗ ॥
saarang.
Saarang:

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
ik-oNkaar satgur parsaad.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਤੈ ਨਰ ਕਿਆ ਪੁਰਾਨੁ ਸੁਨਿ ਕੀਨਾ ॥
tai nar ki-aa puraan sun keenaa.
So what have you accomplished by listening to the Puraanas?

ਅਨਪਾਵਨੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਨਹੀ ਉਪਜੀ ਭੂਖੈ ਦਾਨੁ ਨ ਦੀਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
anpaavnee bhagat nahee upjee bhookhai daan na deenaa. ((1)) rahaa-o.
Faithful devotion has not welled up within you, and you have not been inspired to give to the hungry. ((1)(Pause))

ਕਾਮੁ ਨ ਬਿਸਰਿਓ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਨ ਬਿਸਰਿਓ ਲੋਭੁ ਨ ਛੂਟਿਓ ਦੇਵਾ ॥
kaam na bisri-o kroDh na bisri-o lobh na chhooti-o dayvaa.
You have not forgotten sexual desire, and you have not forgotten anger; greed has not left you either.

ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਮੁਖ ਤੇ ਨਹੀ ਛੂਟੀ ਨਿਫਲ ਭਈ ਸਭ ਸੇਵਾ ॥੧॥
par nindaa mukh tay nahee chhootee nifal bha-ee sabh sayvaa. ((1))
Your mouth has not stopped slandering and gossiping about others. Your service is useless and fruitless. ((1))

ਬਾਟ ਪਾਰਿ ਘਰੁ ਮੂਸਿ ਬਿਰਾਨੋ ਪੇਟੁ ਭਰੈ ਅਪ੍ਰਾਧੀ ॥
baat paar ghar moos biraano payt bharai apraaDhee.
By breaking into the houses of others and robbing them, you fill your belly, you sinner.

ਜਿਹਿ ਪਰਲੋਕ ਜਾਇ ਅਪਕੀਰਤਿ ਸੋਈ ਅਬਿਦਿਆ ਸਾਧੀ ॥੨॥
jihi parlok jaa-ay apkeerat so-ee abidi-aa saaDhee. ((2))
But when you go to the world beyond, your guilt will be well known, by the acts of ignorance which you committed. ((2))

ਹਿੰਸਾ ਤਉ ਮਨ ਤੇ ਨਹੀ ਛੂਟੀ ਜੀਅ ਦਇਆ ਨਹੀ ਪਾਲੀ ॥
hinsaa ta-o man tay nahee chhootee jee-a da-i-aa nahee paalee.
Cruelty has not left your mind; you have not cherished kindness for other living beings.

ਪਰਮਾਨੰਦ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਕਥਾ ਪੁਨੀਤ ਨ ਚਾਲੀ ॥੩॥੧॥੬॥
parmaanand saaDhsangat mil kathaa puneet na chaalee. ((3)(1)(6))
Parmaanand has joined the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. Why have you not followed the sacred teachings? ((3)(1)(6))

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The Bani of Paramand teaches us that without showing in our ordinary lives charity, compassion, and forgiveness, we are still in the clutches of egotism, lust, greed, anger and attachment. Is it not the core of Guru Nanak's philosophy that vairaag is not detachment and samadhi is not samadhi if our hearts are not changed.

A change of heart happens in the company of the holy from whom and what we learn how to change. If the Divine is nirguna, immanent, and pervades all creation, the consciousness of His presence would lead us to consciousness of His dharma.

In this hymn, he disapproves of the ritualistic reading and hearing of the sacred books If that has not disposed to the service of fellow beings (Quoted by NamJap ji)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
First a question.

Does anyone know how many original hymns were written by Parmanand?

The most amazing thing of this Shabad/hymn is the great choice by our Gurus. What a beautiful Shabad!

Before I use the privilege given by all of you to think aloud I would like to point out one thing about the transliteration which is often used by us without a second thought.

Guru Nanak said in Japji," Patalan patal lakh, Agasan agaal". In other words there are innumerous planets and Milky ways. Which means this Universe of ours is just a speck in the vastness still being created by Ik Ong Kaar.

Co -incidentally, yesterday there was a big news by Nasa:

Telescope blasts into space to find other Earths.

Telescope blasts into space to find other Earths

ਸਾਰੰਗ ॥
saarang.
Saarang:

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
ik-oNkaar satgur parsaad.
So the above verse by Guru Nanak shows that IK ONG KAAR is not the Creator of only ONE UNIVERSE.

Hence, in my opinion we should not use ONE UNIVERSAL CREATOR GOD( God once again is personified deity, a term borrowed from dogmatic religions) but ONE SOURCE of ALL.

This beautiful and the only Shabad of Parmanand chosen by our Gurus shows how we should be honest with ourselves. How we should look and examine our inner nakedness without tucking our tummy in while standing in front of the mirror.

The Shabad shows how we do our Nitnem- Paath mechanically and hence learn nothing from it.

ik-oNkaar satgur parsaad. One Source of all, attained by the Grace of the True Guru.
ਤੈ ਨਰ ਕਿਆ ਪੁਰਾਨੁ ਸੁਨਿ ਕੀਨਾ ॥
tai nar ki-aa puraan sun keenaa.
So what have you accomplished by listening to the Puraanas?
ਅਨਪਾਵਨੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਨਹੀ ਉਪਜੀ ਭੂਖੈ ਦਾਨੁ ਨ ਦੀਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
anpaavnee bhagat nahee upjee bhookhai daan na deenaa. ((1)) rahaa-o.
Faithful devotion has not welled up within you, and you have not been inspired to give to the hungry. ((1)(Pause))
As we all know that RAHAO is the nectar of the flower- the main idea or shall we say the naked truth of what we are actually up to. RAHAO is the real challange as Gurbani talks to us so we can learn and practice.

This Shabad shows us that we 'DO' Paath-Nitnem- reading Gurbani etc etc like good parrots rather than studying it so we can put the teachings of SGGS into practice so they can become our second nature or the only nature,eventually.

Today after doing your Nitnem, you went to school or went to work to do your job honestly. Did you truly do that? Did you cheat from your fellow student during the test?After putting your jacket in the back of your chair, did you escape to the beach or wander around without fulfilling your duties? How have you practiced what you learnt during your Paath this morning?

The true love for IK ONG KAAR has not sprouted in you yet despite you doing your daily Paath . That may be the reason you give a damn about helping others.

ਕਾਮੁ ਨ ਬਿਸਰਿਓ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਨ ਬਿਸਰਿਓ ਲੋਭੁ ਨ ਛੂਟਿਓ ਦੇਵਾ ॥
kaam na bisri-o kroDh na bisri-o lobh na chhooti-o dayvaa.
You have not forgotten sexual desire, and you have not forgotten anger; greed has not left you either.
ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਮੁਖ ਤੇ ਨਹੀ ਛੂਟੀ ਨਿਫਲ ਭਈ ਸਭ ਸੇਵਾ ॥੧॥
par nindaa mukh tay nahee chhootee nifal bha-ee sabh sayvaa. ((1))
Your mouth has not stopped slandering and gossiping about others. Your service is useless and fruitless. ((1))
You have not given up lust- sexual desire-. This may also mean committing adultery if one is married. You still get angry and greedy.

I had no idea Parmanand had watched the episode of " The Desperate Housewives" on ABC. :)
Once again we all see ourselves in his words. Or He sees us much better than we want to see ourselves.

ਬਾਟ ਪਾਰਿ ਘਰੁ ਮੂਸਿ ਬਿਰਾਨੋ ਪੇਟੁ ਭਰੈ ਅਪ੍ਰਾਧੀ ॥
baat paar ghar moos biraano payt bharai apraaDhee.
By breaking into the houses of others and robbing them, you fill your belly, you sinner.
ਜਿਹਿ ਪਰਲੋਕ ਜਾਇ ਅਪਕੀਰਤਿ ਸੋਈ ਅਬਿਦਿਆ ਸਾਧੀ ॥੨॥
jihi parlok jaa-ay apkeerat so-ee abidi-aa saaDhee. ((2))
But when you go to the world beyond, your guilt will be well known, by the acts of ignorance which you committed. ((2))
Well, these economic crisis have made some desperate but I do not think he is talking about this in the literal sense. He is showing us our cunning nature of being confidence tricksters. How we, with our sweet talk can con others for our own benefit. Let us not forget the RAHAO verse here which starts with our Paath which is supposed to make us better people.

Bernie Madoffs and Stanfords and all those CEO's of big banks who got our money and gave themselves big bonuses are known to him.Bernie Madoff even stole from the charities as we all know.

Now the last part of verse can be interpretated in two manners. As Parmanand was a Hindu and believed in reincarnation then it may mean that in the next world you go to you will do the same thing as you have learnt nothing in this world from your Bhakti-Paath here.

or

If you are punished for your thievery and robbery there is no way you are capable of learning anything because your doing your daily Paath is a mere ritual not a true learning process.

ਹਿੰਸਾ ਤਉ ਮਨ ਤੇ ਨਹੀ ਛੂਟੀ ਜੀਅ ਦਇਆ ਨਹੀ ਪਾਲੀ ॥
hinsaa ta-o man tay nahee chhootee jee-a da-i-aa nahee paalee.
Cruelty has not left your mind; you have not cherished kindness for other living beings.
ਪਰਮਾਨੰਦ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਕਥਾ ਪੁਨੀਤ ਨ ਚਾਲੀ ॥੩॥੧॥੬॥
parmaanand saaDhsangat mil kathaa puneet na chaalee. ((3)(1)(6))
Parmaanand has joined the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. Why have you not followed the sacred teachings? ((3)(1)(6))
According to Prof. Sahib Singh ji, the above transliteration is wrong. Parmanad is talking about himself as if he were looking in his inner mirror and talking to himself. He is not separating himself as the one who follows what eh has learnt from his Paath.

Once again, inspite of doing Nitnem, the cruelty has not left your mind. You have not been able to cherish any kindness, compassion and love for others.

One can still see this way of treatment in many Sikh households in India the way they treat their servants as slaves and with cruelty.

Parmanand, you while being in the Sadh Sangat- like we going to Gurdwara routinely, have not taken any benefit out of it, have not learnt anything.

After having Langar we may look for antacid and as soon as we leave its premises, our ugly nature shows up again.

So in other words, Parroting Paath can not change us. Only Shabad Vichar and putting it into practice will.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Following is the meaning of the whole shabad from Prof. Sahib Singh Darpan- Page 1253

ArQ:- hy BweI! purwx Awidk Drm pusqkW sux ky qUM K`itAw qW kuJ BI nhIN; qyry AMdr nwh qW pRBU dI At`l BgqI pYdw hoeI qy nwh hI qUM iksy loVvMd dI syvw kIqI [1[rhwau[
hy BweI! (Drm pusqk sux ky BI) nwh kwm igAw, nwh kRoD igAw, nwh loB mu`kw, nwh mUMhoN prweI inMidAw (krn dI Awdq) hI geI, (purwx Awidk pVHn dI) swrI imhnq hI AYvyN geI [1[
(purwx Awidk sux ky BI) pwpI mnu`K fwky mwr mwr ky prwey Gr lu`t lu`t ky hI Awpxw iF`f Brdw irhw, qy (swrI aumr) auhI mUrKqw krdw irhw ijs nwl Agly jhwn ivc BI bdnwmI (dw it`kw) hI imly [2[
hy prmwnµd! (Drm pusqk sux ky BI) qyry mn ivcoN inrdieqw nwh geI, qUM lokW nwl ipAwr dw slUk nwh kIqw, qy sqsMg ivc bYT ky qUM kdy pRBU dIAW piv`qr (krn vwlIAW) g`lW nwh clweIAW (Bwv, qYƒ sqsMg krn dw SOk nwh ipAw) [3[1[6[

One more thing according to "From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia" Parmãnand was a devotee of Vishnu and used in his songs the nom de plume Sarañg, the name of a bird ever thirsty for the rain*drop.

But again according to Prof. Sahib Singh SARANG is a Raag. In fact the following Sahabd is in Sarang Raag:

ਸਾਰੰਗ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਸੂਰਦਾਸ ॥ ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਸੰਗ ਬਸੇ ਹਰਿ ਲੋਕ ॥ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਅਰਪਿ ਸਰਬਸੁ ਸਭੁ ਅਰਪਿਓ ਅਨਦ ਸਹਜ ਧੁਨਿ ਝੋਕ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਪੇਖਿ ਭਏ ਨਿਰਬਿਖਈ ਪਾਏ ਹੈ ਸਗਲੇ ਥੋਕ ॥ ਆਨ ਬਸਤੁ ਸਿਉ ਕਾਜੁ ਨ ਕਛੂਐ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਬਦਨ ਅਲੋਕ ॥੧॥ ਸਿਆਮ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਤਜਿ ਆਨ ਜੁ ਚਾਹਤ ਜਿਉ ਕੁਸਟੀ ਤਨਿ ਜੋਕ ॥ ਸੂਰਦਾਸ ਮਨੁ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਹਥਿ ਲੀਨੋ ਦੀਨੋ ਇਹੁ ਪਰਲੋਕ ॥੨॥੧॥੮॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1253}

PAGE 1253 - Punjabi Translation of Siri Guru Granth Sahib (Sri Guru Granth Darpan).

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
CEO's of big banks who got our money and gave themselves big bonuses are known to him.
:crazy:

Page 1283, Line 16
ਇਕਿ ਸਾਹ ਸਦਾਵਹਿ ਸੰਚਿ ਧਨੁ ਦੂਜੈ ਪਤਿ ਖੋਈ ॥
इकि साह सदावहि संचि धनु दूजै पति खोई ॥
Ik sāh saḏāvėh sancẖ ḏẖan ḏūjai paṯ kẖo▫ī.
Some claim to be bankers and accumulate wealth, but in duality they lose their honor.
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Bhagt Parmanand has only ONE Shabad in SGGS.
Sarang is name of the Raag and not his nom de plume - no nom de plumes allowed in SGGS.

Not everything in wiki is 100% authentic....use your other sources to double check. There is so much plagiarism on the Internet....of the more than DOZEN sites i googled...ALL had this Same Para word for word Cut and Pasted ( Para that is qioted by naam Japp ji's beginning Mail). This means that ALL those supposedly Sikh sites...didnt turn anywhere except Wikipedia !!! or didnt even bother to look elsewhere..THIS IS BAD !!:happy::welcome::backtotopic:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Gyani ji,

Guru Fateh.

As not all the hymns/Shabads by the Bhagats were added in SGGS, I was just wondering if there were other Shabads by Bhagat Parmanand besides the one added and if there are, how can one find them? And secondly, did he write the original in Marathi? If he did who translated it to add it to SGGS?

Regards

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Bhagt Parmanand has only ONE Shabad in SGGS.
Sarang is name of the Raag and not his nom de plume - no nom de plumes allowed in SGGS.

Not everything in wiki is 100% authentic....use your other sources to double check. There is so much plagiarism on the Internet....of the more than DOZEN sites i googled...ALL had this Same Para word for word Cut and Pasted ( Para that is qioted by naam Japp ji's beginning Mail). This means that ALL those supposedly Sikh sites...didnt turn anywhere except Wikipedia !!! or didnt even bother to look elsewhere..THIS IS BAD !!:happy::welcome::backtotopic:

Actually Gyani -- The same group of pepole that writes material for sikhiwiki also writes for what is stermed the "Sikhism Portal" on Wikipedia -- because the people running Wikipedia are not as free of bias and inaccuracy as they would like the world to think. The smaller web sites appear to copy from Wikipedia, probably sikhiwiki, or both. That is why there is so much "identical"material. There is a kind of syndicate of "Sikhism" authorities, who may not actually be Sikh scholars. They are not plagiarizing. They are monopolizing. Heh Heh!

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Bhagat Ramanand (1366 - 1467 AD)
Swami Ramanand is rightly regarded as an eminent of the bhagati movement in northern India and as a distinguished leader of the Bhairagi Movement. He was a follower of Swami Ragavacharya of the Ramanuj Movement (1017-1137). In the later part of his life the Archarya commanded more respect than even his own Guru and came to be known as an exponent of Rama Bhagati.
swami_ramanand.jpg
Born in 1366, Ramanand was the son of Bhoor Karma and Sushila. He was mystically inclined from his early childhood. Acharya Ragavnand, showed him the path of Yog sadhna. Ramanand also visited places of pilgrimage such as Kanshi, where as mark of respect, people built a memorial that stands there to this day. After his pilgrimage, Ramanand realised that God can be worshipped by everyone whereas his Guru Archarya Ragavnand, who comes from the Sadhu Varna Ashrama believe that not everyone is entitled to perform Puja Bhagati.

Hence he started preaching his gospel in Kanshi and imbued many devotees with the spirit of Bhagati. Kabir was the most renowned amongst his disciples. Ravi das, Sain, Dhanna and Pipa are believed to be his followers even though all of them were not his contemporaries.
Ramanand was a learned Pandit. Many of his books such as Sri Vaishnava, Matanbuj Bhaskar, Sri Ramarachan Padhti are still available. One of his hymns has been inserted in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib under Rag Basant.
Extracted and adapted from gurbani De Racheta by Abnashi & Gurvinder Singh
Shabad from Ramanand in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib
Where should I go?
My home is filled with bliss.
My consciousness does not go out wandering.
My mind has become crippled. || 1 || Pause ||

One day, a desire welled up in my mind.
I ground up sandalwood, along with several fragrant oils.
I went to God�s place, and worshipped Him there.
That God showed me the Guru, within my own mind. || 1 ||

Wherever I go, I find water and stones.
You are totally pervading and permeating in all.
I have searched through all the Vedas and the Puraanas.
I would go there, only if the Lord were not here. || 2 ||

I am a sacrifice to You, O my True Guru.
You have cut through all my confusion and doubt.
Raamaanand�s Lord and Master is the All-pervading Lord God.
The Word of the Guru�s Shabad eradicates the karma of millions of past actions. || 3 || 1 ||

Source: snsm.org

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਰਾਮਾਨੰਦ ਜੀ ਘਰੁ
रामानंद जी घरु १
Rāmānanḏ jī gẖar 1
Raamaanand Jee, First House:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.

ਕਤ ਜਾਈਐ ਰੇ ਘਰ ਲਾਗੋ ਰੰਗੁ
कत जाईऐ रे घर लागो रंगु ॥
Kaṯ jā▫ī▫ai re gẖar lāgo rang.
Where should I go? My home is filled with bliss.

ਮੇਰਾ ਚਿਤੁ ਚਲੈ ਮਨੁ ਭਇਓ ਪੰਗੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
मेरा चितु न चलै मनु भइओ पंगु ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Merā cẖiṯ na cẖalai man bẖa▫i▫o pang. ||1|| rahā▫o.
My consciousness does not go out wandering. My mind has become crippled. ||1||Pause||

ਏਕ ਦਿਵਸ ਮਨ ਭਈ ਉਮੰਗ
एक दिवस मन भई उमंग ॥
Ėk ḏivas man bẖa▫ī umang.
One day, a desire welled up in my mind.

ਘਸਿ ਚੰਦਨ ਚੋਆ ਬਹੁ ਸੁਗੰਧ
घसि चंदन चोआ बहु सुगंध ॥
Gẖas cẖanḏan cẖo▫ā baho suganḏẖ.
I ground up sandalwood, along with several fragrant oils.

ਪੂਜਨ ਚਾਲੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਠਾਇ
पूजन चाली ब्रहम ठाइ ॥
Pūjan cẖālī barahm ṯẖā▫e.
I went to God's place, and worshipped Him there.

ਸੋ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਬਤਾਇਓ ਗੁਰ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਮਾਹਿ ॥੧॥
सो ब्रहमु बताइओ गुर मन ही माहि ॥१॥
So barahm baṯā▫i▫o gur man hī māhi. ||1||
That God showed me the Guru, within my own mind. ||1||

ਜਹਾ ਜਾਈਐ ਤਹ ਜਲ ਪਖਾਨ
जहा जाईऐ तह जल पखान ॥
Jahā jā▫ī▫ai ṯah jal pakẖān.
Wherever I go, I find water and stones.

ਤੂ ਪੂਰਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਹੈ ਸਭ ਸਮਾਨ
तू पूरि रहिओ है सभ समान ॥
Ŧū pūr rahi▫o hai sabẖ samān.
You are totally pervading and permeating in all.

ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਸਭ ਦੇਖੇ ਜੋਇ
बेद पुरान सभ देखे जोइ ॥
Beḏ purān sabẖ ḏekẖe jo▫e.
I have searched through all the Vedas and the Puraanas.

ਊਹਾਂ ਤਉ ਜਾਈਐ ਜਉ ਈਹਾਂ ਹੋਇ ॥੨॥
ऊहां तउ जाईऐ जउ ईहां न होइ ॥२॥
Ūhāʼn ṯa▫o jā▫ī▫ai ja▫o īhāʼn na ho▫e. ||2||
I would go there, only if the Lord were not here. ||2||

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੈ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਤੋਰ
सतिगुर मै बलिहारी तोर ॥
Saṯgur mai balihārī ṯor.
I am a sacrifice to You, O my True Guru.

ਜਿਨਿ ਸਕਲ ਬਿਕਲ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕਾਟੇ ਮੋਰ
जिनि सकल बिकल भ्रम काटे मोर ॥
Jin sakal bikal bẖaram kāte mor.
You have cut through all my confusion and doubt.

ਰਾਮਾਨੰਦ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਰਮਤ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ
रामानंद सुआमी रमत ब्रहम ॥
Rāmānanḏ su▫āmī ramaṯ barahm.
Raamaanand's Lord and Master is the All-pervading Lord God.

ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਾਟੈ ਕੋਟਿ ਕਰਮ ॥੩॥੧॥
गुर का सबदु काटै कोटि करम ॥३॥१॥
Gur kā sabaḏ kātai kot karam. ||3||1||
The Word of the Guru's Shabad eradicates the karma of millions of past actions. ||3||1||

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Encyclopaedia of Sikhism (???? ??? ???????)

Many works in Sanskrit and Hindi are ascribed to Rāmānanda by his followers, but modern scholars accept only two, Vaiṣnavamatabja Bhāskar and Rāmāchanā Paddhatī as authentic. Two Hindi padas (hymns) attributed to him are found in the Sarbāṅgī compiled by Rajjab. One of them which duplicates his single hymn included in Sikh Scripture, the Gurū Granth Sāhib, points to his nearness to the Sant tradition of nirguṇa-bhakti (worship of the Transcendent One). In this hymn (GG, 1195) idol-worship is clearly rejected, the supreme Deity, Brāhmaṇ, is conceived as all-pervading, revealed to the mind only through the śabda of the True Gurū, whereas Vedas and purāṇas avail nothing.
BIBLIOGRAPHY

1. Macauliffe, Max Arthur, The Sikh Religion. Oxford, 1909
  2. Nābhādās, Bhaktamālā, ed. S.B. Prasad. Lucknow, 1951
  3. Barathwāl, P.D., Rāmānanda kī Hindī Rachānāe. Varaasi, 1955
Rām Sigh Tomar

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Bhagat Sadhna
He honours His Servants Himself, He Blesses with both hands on his forehead.​
According to the Holy Word, every kind of being can get liberated provided he or she moulds his or her life in keeping with the ideals of the true preceptors. There are evidences in the Sakhis (religious stories) about the Gurus that Kauda, a Kapalika with devilish tendencies got transformed through Guru Nanak's company into a noble being. Similarly, there was a robber who used to rob people wearing the garb of a noble. He gave up his evil deeds and devoted himself to remembering Divine Name and service of mankind. Then, there was prostitute by the name of Ganka who succeeded in achieving the ultimate end of her life by remembering the Name (Lord). Sadhna, the butcher, was also one such person who used to kill daily many innocent animals for earning his livelihood. He belonged to village Sihwan, in the Hyderabad region, known as the cradle of ancient civilization. The exact date and year of his birth are not known. On the basis of whatever little information we have about him, we can say that Sadhna was a contemporary of Bhagat Namdev.
A hymn by Sadhna has been included in the Guru Granth Sahib; a fact which has immortalized him.
It is said that Sadhna used Salgram (a stone idol symbolic of Siva) as a weight to weigh the meat he sold. One day an enlightened mendicant passed by, and he chided Sadhna for what he did. Sadhna repented and renounced his home and left for the forests. It is also said that on his way to the forests, a woman met him She felt so charmed by Sadhna that she wanted to possess him. However, Sadhna remained indifferent to all her actions. She thought that perhaps the presence of her husband is the hindrance and Sadhna does not take the initiative because of his fear. So the woman took no time in murdering her husband, thereby clearing the way for Sadhna. However, while committing this crime, she failed to read correctly the mental state of Sadhna who was then on the point of acquiring mystical unity with the Lord. Therefore, whatever she did, she failed to charm Sadhna. At last when she found defeat staring in her face, she alleged that Sadhna had killed her husband. Consequently, the poor Sadhna had his hands chopped off as a punishment for the crime he never committed. God has always protected his devotees and there are extant evidences to prove this contention : for example, He saved Prehlad, helped Namdev and saved the honour of Daropadi, similarly, Sadhna also prayed to God​
Nothing am I, no pride is mine; nothing is mine,
On this occasion save the honour of Sadhna,
the Servant. SGGS-858​

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
'The Lord listened to his prayer and accepted it. God through His graceful benevolence made his hands healthy once again. This gesture of grace by God flowed in Sadhna's mana (mind), the river of devotion to God.
Pandit Tara Singh instead of referring to this incident narrates another story. He says that Sadhna was a Muslim butcher. It was under the influence of a holy-man that he turned a Hindu. The qazis took affront and decreed that he be bricked alive in a building wall. At that moment, Sadhna felt helpless and offered a prayer to the Lord saying: O Omniscient Lord! Come to my aid in time, lest I should lose my life.
It seems this anecdote has been invented by his followers to match explanation with his hymn because it is universally accepted that a true devotee of God is ever happy in His will The only hymn of Sadhna wherein he prays God to save his honour and which finds inclusion in the Guru Granth Sahib (P 858) would read asunder;
For love of a king's daughter
a man disguised himself as Vishnu
Of this man, lust-seeker, self-seeker, You saved the honour. (1)
Enlightener of the world! what merit is yours if our
retribution of deeds leave us not?
Why seek shelter with the tiger if a jackal
is to grip us? (1-Pause)
The Chatrik (cuckoo) for lack of a drop suffers.
If after its life is gone, even the ocean be found,
what good? (2)
Tired, without poise is my life-
How may I delay supplicating Thee?
If after drowning comes the boat,
who will then ride it?
Nothing am I, no pride is mine; nothing is mine.
On this occasion save the honour of Sadhna,
The servant. SGGS-858

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
If we paraphrase the above hymn, it would read as follows; what is the use of seeking shelter with a lion if a jackal threatens life even then? If the chatrik (A type of bird) dies for want of a single drop of water, what is the use of a full ocean after that? If a boat becomes available after one drowns, it is of no use. He continues to pray to God with the help of such instances: In the world-ocean many waves of evil arise and the helpless life fails to save the boat of life. Therefore, the Omniscient and benevolent God is requested that He should come and save him rather soon. Sadhna says that there is none except Him whom he could call his own.​
The whole Shabad conveys this message that the prayer made by a devotee in the court of his Lord should be saturated with devotion and submission otherwise it is just a formality which one observes and we all know fully well that unless the prayer is done from the core of heart with utmost devotion and dedication, it is not accepted in the court of Lord God.
According to Bhai Kahan Singh of Nabha, the mausoleum of Sadhna is near Sirhind which goes to suggest that Bhagat Sadhna travelling from Sindh reached Panjab during the fast days of his life. It was in Panjab that he breathed his last. As such, Sadhna got mingled in the soil of Panjab.

http://www.sikhlionz.com/sikhsection1.htm

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
The 5,867 hymns found in the Guru Granth Sahib broken down are by six Gurus, 15 Bhagats (of different faiths), 3 Sikh Bards, 8-17 Bhatts, and Raag Mala;
The Gurus:

Guru Nanak Dev Ji: 947 hymns

Guru Angad Dev Ji: 63 hymns

Guru Amar Das Ji: 869 hymns.

Guru Ram Das Ji: 638 hymns.

Guru Arjan Dev Ji: 2,312 hymns

Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji: 116 hymns

Guru Gobind Singh Ji: 1

The Bhagats: Saints of various faiths

Bhagat Kabir: 534 hymns: Kabir (1398 to 1518) was raised by a Muslim mother. Bhagat Kabir Das (Kabir is Arabic for "great", and Das is Prakrit for "slave" or "servant"), is widely acknowledged as one of the great personalities of the Bhakti movement in North India. He was, as is widely acknowledged, born in year 1398 CE (71 years before Guru Nanak). Kabirpanthis (followers of Kabir) say that he lived up to the age of 120 years and give the date of his death as 1518 CE, but relying on the research of Hazari Prasad Trivedi, British scholar Charlotte Vaudenville is not inclined to lend credence to these dates and has proven that 1448 CE is probably the correct date of Bhagat Kabir's demise. Kabir was a proponent of the Bhakti movement. He lived as a householder, abhorred the caste system and religious rituals. He was a saintly apostle of peace, love and unity and a great poet. Kabir believed in inward purity, and was respected by both Hindus and Muslims.
Bhagat Sheikh Farid: 123 hymns: Sheikh Farid (1175 to 1265) was a Muslim Sufi saint of great piety. He is considered the father of Punjabi poetry. He was greatly loved for his kindness and humanity. He stressed living a simple yet purposeful life concentrating on One God.
Bhagat Namdev: 62 hymns: Namdev (1270 to 1350) was a celebrated saint from Maharashtra who traveled extensively across the country. He lived in Punjab for a number of years.

Bhagat Ravidas: 40 hymns: (1399) A contemporary of Kabir and a disciple of Ramanand, Ravidas represent the culmination of the Bhakti Movement. He came from a low caste cobbler family but had many disciples because of his spirituality. He stressed a life of simplicity and piety.

Bhagat Trilochan: 5 hymns: (1267) A contemporary of Kabir and a celebrated Sain of the Vaish caste. He believed in One God and condemned superficial rituals and stressed the holiness of the heart.

Bhagat Beni: 3 hymns: Nothing is known about the exact date and place of birth of Bhagat Beni. According to some scholars, he was born in Asani, but nothing is known about the exact location of this village or town. In spite of all this uncertainty, he can be called a contemporary of Guru Nanak. It seems that Beni lived in this world somewhere between mid-15th centuries to the mid-16th century. He was unperturbed by poverty and enjoyed a life of solitude enriched by his spiritual per suits. He was a great scholar as is evident from his writings.

Bhagat Sheikh Bhikhan: 2 hymns: (1480-1573) A Muslim Sufi scholar saint Sheikh Bhikan died in the early part of Akbar's reign. He was one of the most learned men of his time. He believed that only God's name can heal a diseased mind and body.

Bhagat Dhanna: 4 hymns: (1415) Dhanna was a Jat from Rajasthan who was born in 1415. He lived most of his life as an idol worshipper but in later years became a worshipper of One God and renounced all superstitious practices.

Bhagat Jaidev: 2 hymns: Born in 12C in Bengal and was a renowned poet laureate in the royal court of King Lakshman Sen of Bengal. His famous work of poetry Gita Govinda is well known for its poetic beauty and musical richness.

Bhagat Paramanand: 1 hymn: Born in Maharashtra (1483), little is known about Paramanand's life. It is believed that he lived in Maharashtra and was a devotee of Krishna. He later became a proponent of One God.

Bhagat Pipa: 1 hymn: Born in 1425, Pipa was the king of the princely state of Gagaraungarh. He abdicated his throne, traveled extensively and became a disciple of Ramanand. He lived a life of extreme austerity and humility.

Bhagat Ramanand: 1 hymn: (1359-1467) Ramanand, a Brahmin was born in 1359 in Madras. He is regarded as the pioneer of the Bhakti movement in northern India. A Vaishnava in his early life, he became a worshipper of Brahm and condemned the caste system. Kabir was the most renowned amongst his disciples.

Bhagat Sadhna: 1 hymn: He was born in 1180 at village Sehwan in Hyderabad Sindh province and was a butcher by profession. His piety and meditation of God elevated him to saintly status. He was condemned by Brahmins and on a false charge was arrested and buried alive.

Bhagat Sain: 1 hymn: He lived in the end of the fourteenth and the beginning of the fifteenth century. Sain was a barber of the royal court of Raja Ram, king of Rewa. He was a follower of Ramanand and Kabir.

Bhagat Surdas: 2 hymns: (1483-1573) Surdas was a Brahmin born in 1529. He was learned in Sanskrit and Persian and studied music and poetry. He was appointed a governor by Emperor Akbar, but was later imprisoned for dereliction of duty. Towards the end of his life, he became a hermit and lived among holy men.

The Bhatt’s: 123 hymns: The Bhatt’s were a group of musicians who lived in the sixteenth century. All of them were scholars, poets and singers. Scholars differ on the exact number of contributors to the Granth Sahib. Bhatts in AGGS are said to be 8- 17 named Bal, Bhalh, Bhika, Gyand, Harbans, Jal, Jalap, Kal, Kas, Kalshar, Kirat, Mathura, Nal, Salh, Sehar, Sevak, and Tal.

Sikhs Bards:

Bhai Mardana: 3 hymns: (1459-1534) Mardana was a rabab (rebeck) player who spent most of his life as a disciple and musician of Guru Nanak. Born a Muslim, Mardana was a childhood friend of Guru Nanak and accompanied him on all his great travels.

Satta & Balwand: 8 hymns: Satta was a rebeck player who served Guru Angad, Guru Amar Das, Gur Ram Das and Guru Arjan Dev. Along with his fellow musician Balwand they jointly composed a ballad which appears in the Guru Granth Sahib.

Bhagat Sunder: 6 hymns: Baba Sunder (1560-1610) was the great grandson of Guru Amar Das. His composition called Sadd (Calling) was written at the request of Guru Arjan Dev after the death of Guru Ram Das.

Raagas of Granth;

AGGS is arranged firstly according to the Raga, secondly, according to the nature or metre of the Sabd, thirdly authorship, and fourthly the clef. The total number of Ragas and Raginis is 84; the Guru has used only 31 musical measures in the scripture.

The Adi Granth starts with a non-raga section with Japji (ਜਪੁਜੀ) as the first entry. This is followed by thirty-one ragas in the following serial order: Sri Raga (ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ), Majh (ਮਾਝ), Gauri (ਗਉੜੀ), Asa (ਆਸਾ), Gujri (ਗੂਜਰੀ), Devgandhari (ਦੇਵਗੰਧਾਰੀ), Bihagarha (ਬਿਹਾਗੜਾ), Wadahans (ਵਡਹੰਸੁ), Sorath (ਸੋਰਠਿ), Dhanasri (ਧਨਾਸਰੀ), Jaitsri (ਜੈਤਸਰੀ), Todi (ਟੋਡੀ), Bairari (ਬੈਰਾੜੀ), Tilang (ਤਿਲੰਗ), Suhi (ਸੂਹੀ), Bilawal (ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ), Gond (ਗੌਂਡ), Ramkali (ਰਾਮਕਲੀ), Nut (ਨਟ), Mali-Gaurha (ਮਾਲੀ ਗਉੜਾ), Maru (ਮਾਰੂ), Tukhari (ਤੁਖਾਰੀ), Kedara (ਕੇਦਾਰਾ), Bhairo (ਭੈਰਉ), Basant (ਬਸੰਤੁ), Sarang (ਸਾਰਗ), Malar (ਮਲਾਰ), Kanrha (ਕਾਨੜਾ), Kalyan (ਕਲਿਆਨੁ), Parbhati (ਪ੍ਭਾਤੀ), and Jaijawanti (ਜੈਜਾਵੰਤੀ). Then come Saloks(ਸਲੋਕ) and Sweayas (ਸਵਈਏ). The final sections are Mundawani (ਮੁੰਦਾਵਣੀ), a Saloke, and Raag Mala.

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Grewal Ji,

Bhagat Sadhna: 1 hymn: which is the hymn ?

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear Nam Jap Ji,

There is one Sabd dedicated to Sadhna in Raag Bilawal and reference to a hymn is typo error which describes a kind of story described by you;

ਨ੍ਰਿਪ ਕੰਨਿਆ ਕੇ ਕਾਰਨੈ ਇਕੁ ਭਇਆ ਭੇਖਧਾਰੀ ਕਾਮਾਰਥੀ ਸੁਆਰਥੀ ਵਾ ਕੀ ਪੈਜ ਸਵਾਰੀ ਤਵ ਗੁਨ ਕਹਾ ਜਗਤ ਗੁਰਾ ਜਉ ਕਰਮੁ ਨ ਨਾਸੈ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਰਨ ਕਤ ਜਾਈਐ ਜਉ ਜੰਬੁਕੁ ਗ੍ਰਾਸੈ ਏਕ ਬੂੰਦ ਜਲ ਕਾਰਨੇ ਚਾਤ੍ਰਿਕੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਗਏ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਫੁਨਿ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਜੁ ਥਾਕੇ ਥਿਰੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੈਸੇ ਬਿਰਮਾਵਉ ਬੂਡਿ ਮੂਏ ਨਉਕਾ ਮਿਲੈ ਕਹੁ ਕਾਹਿ ਚਢਾਵਉ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਛੁ ਹਉ ਨਹੀ ਕਿਛੁ ਆਹਿ ਨ ਮੋਰਾ ਅਉਸਰ ਲਜਾ ਰਾਖਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਸਧਨਾ ਜਨੁ ਤੋਰਾ

Nrip kanniā ke kārnai ik ba▫i▫ā bekḏẖārī. Kāmārathī su▫ārthī vā kī paij savārī. Ŧav gun kahā jaga gurā ja▫o karam na nāsai. Sing saran ka jā▫ī▫ai ja▫o jaʼnbuk garāsai. Ėk būn jal kārne cārik uk pāvai. Parān ga▫e sāgar milai fun kām na āvai. Parān ga▫e sāgar milai fun kām na āvai. Parān jo thāke thir nahī kaise birmāva▫o. Būd mū▫e na▫ukā milai kaho kāhi cadāva▫o. Mai nāhī kacẖẖ ha▫o nahī kicẖẖ āhi na morā. A▫osar lajā rāk leho saḏẖnā jan orā.

For a king's daughter, a man disguised himself as Vishnu. He did it for sexual exploitation, and for selfish motives, but the God protected his honor. What is Your value, O Guru of the world, if You will not erase the karma of my past actions? Why seek safety from a lion, if one is to be eaten by a jackal? For the sake of a single rain-drop, the rain bird suffers in pain. When its breath of life is gone, even an ocean is of no use to it. Now, my life has grown weary, and I shall not last much longer; how can I be patient? If I drown and die, and then a boat comes along, tell me, how shall I climb aboard? I am nothing, I have nothing, and nothing belongs to me. Now, protect my honor; Sadhna is Your humble servant. -----Bhagat Sadhna, Raag Bilawal, AGGS, Page, 858

Cordially,

Virinder

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
BHAGAT SADNA JI LEFT HIS BUTCHERING WORK

There is also another story on Bhagat Sadna Ji which enlightened him towards the divine path.

One day, a rich man came to buy mutton from him. he told the man that there was no more meat at that time because all the meat had finished. The rich man was very nice to Sadna so he could not say no to him. Sadna thought that if he slaughtered the goat now, the rest of the meat would go rotten the next day. In order to fulfill the need of his customer, Sadna decided to cut one leg of the goat while keeping the goat alive for the next day. When Sadna held the knife near the goat, the goat suddenly laughed and said, "Hey, Sadna! You are going to do something out of the norm."

Sadna was very surprised that the goat was speaking. The knife dropped out of his hand. Sadna asked the goat, what out of the norm thing was he doing? He said, "My work is to slaughter and sell you."

The goat said, "Listen! This cycle of reincarnation has been going on and sometimes I am a goat and you are the butcher. Sometimes, I am the butcher and you are the goat. But now, you are going to cut one part of my body, leaving me to suffer for the whole night. You are starting something new now.
I will be compelled to do the same to you in another lifetime. This is because we are partners in our deeds (karma).

The goat story made Sadna realize. That day, Sadna declined the rich man's demand. The next day, Sadna stopped his butchering work and started meditating on the Almighty.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
The 5,867 hymns found in the Guru Granth Sahib broken down are by six Gurus, 15 Bhagats (of different faiths), 3 Sikh Bards, 8-17 Bhatts, and Raag Mala;
The Gurus:

Guru Nanak Dev Ji: 947 hymns

Guru Angad Dev Ji: 63 hymns

Guru Amar Das Ji: 869 hymns.

Guru Ram Das Ji: 638 hymns.

Guru Arjan Dev Ji: 2,312 hymns

Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji: 116 hymns

Guru Gobind Singh Ji: 1

The Bhagats: Saints of various faiths

Bhagat Kabir: 534 hymns: Kabir (1398 to 1518) was raised by a Muslim mother. Bhagat Kabir Das (Kabir is Arabic for "great", and Das is Prakrit for "slave" or "servant"), is widely acknowledged as one of the great personalities of the Bhakti movement in North India. He was, as is widely acknowledged, born in year 1398 CE (71 years before Guru Nanak). Kabirpanthis (followers of Kabir) say that he lived up to the age of 120 years and give the date of his death as 1518 CE, but relying on the research of Hazari Prasad Trivedi, British scholar Charlotte Vaudenville is not inclined to lend credence to these dates and has proven that 1448 CE is probably the correct date of Bhagat Kabir's demise. Kabir was a proponent of the Bhakti movement. He lived as a householder, abhorred the caste system and religious rituals. He was a saintly apostle of peace, love and unity and a great poet. Kabir believed in inward purity, and was respected by both Hindus and Muslims.
Bhagat Sheikh Farid: 123 hymns: Sheikh Farid (1175 to 1265) was a Muslim Sufi saint of great piety. He is considered the father of Punjabi poetry. He was greatly loved for his kindness and humanity. He stressed living a simple yet purposeful life concentrating on One God.
Bhagat Namdev: 62 hymns: Namdev (1270 to 1350) was a celebrated saint from Maharashtra who traveled extensively across the country. He lived in Punjab for a number of years.

Bhagat Ravidas: 40 hymns: (1399) A contemporary of Kabir and a disciple of Ramanand, Ravidas represent the culmination of the Bhakti Movement. He came from a low caste cobbler family but had many disciples because of his spirituality. He stressed a life of simplicity and piety.

Bhagat Trilochan: 5 hymns: (1267) A contemporary of Kabir and a celebrated Sain of the Vaish caste. He believed in One God and condemned superficial rituals and stressed the holiness of the heart.

Bhagat Beni: 3 hymns: Nothing is known about the exact date and place of birth of Bhagat Beni. According to some scholars, he was born in Asani, but nothing is known about the exact location of this village or town. In spite of all this uncertainty, he can be called a contemporary of Guru Nanak. It seems that Beni lived in this world somewhere between mid-15th centuries to the mid-16th century. He was unperturbed by poverty and enjoyed a life of solitude enriched by his spiritual per suits. He was a great scholar as is evident from his writings.

Bhagat Sheikh Bhikhan: 2 hymns: (1480-1573) A Muslim Sufi scholar saint Sheikh Bhikan died in the early part of Akbar's reign. He was one of the most learned men of his time. He believed that only God's name can heal a diseased mind and body.

Bhagat Dhanna: 4 hymns: (1415) Dhanna was a Jat from Rajasthan who was born in 1415. He lived most of his life as an idol worshipper but in later years became a worshipper of One God and renounced all superstitious practices.

Bhagat Jaidev: 2 hymns: Born in 12C in Bengal and was a renowned poet laureate in the royal court of King Lakshman Sen of Bengal. His famous work of poetry Gita Govinda is well known for its poetic beauty and musical richness.

Bhagat Paramanand: 1 hymn: Born in Maharashtra (1483), little is known about Paramanand's life. It is believed that he lived in Maharashtra and was a devotee of Krishna. He later became a proponent of One God.

Bhagat Pipa: 1 hymn: Born in 1425, Pipa was the king of the princely state of Gagaraungarh. He abdicated his throne, traveled extensively and became a disciple of Ramanand. He lived a life of extreme austerity and humility.

Bhagat Ramanand: 1 hymn: (1359-1467) Ramanand, a Brahmin was born in 1359 in Madras. He is regarded as the pioneer of the Bhakti movement in northern India. A Vaishnava in his early life, he became a worshipper of Brahm and condemned the caste system. Kabir was the most renowned amongst his disciples.

Bhagat Sadhna: 1 hymn: He was born in 1180 at village Sehwan in Hyderabad Sindh province and was a butcher by profession. His piety and meditation of God elevated him to saintly status. He was condemned by Brahmins and on a false charge was arrested and buried alive.

Bhagat Sain: 1 hymn: He lived in the end of the fourteenth and the beginning of the fifteenth century. Sain was a barber of the royal court of Raja Ram, king of Rewa. He was a follower of Ramanand and Kabir.

Bhagat Surdas: 2 hymns: (1483-1573) Surdas was a Brahmin born in 1529. He was learned in Sanskrit and Persian and studied music and poetry. He was appointed a governor by Emperor Akbar, but was later imprisoned for dereliction of duty. Towards the end of his life, he became a hermit and lived among holy men.

The Bhatt’s: 123 hymns: The Bhatt’s were a group of musicians who lived in the sixteenth century. All of them were scholars, poets and singers. Scholars differ on the exact number of contributors to the Granth Sahib. Bhatts in AGGS are said to be 8- 17 named Bal, Bhalh, Bhika, Gyand, Harbans, Jal, Jalap, Kal, Kas, Kalshar, Kirat, Mathura, Nal, Salh, Sehar, Sevak, and Tal.

Sikhs Bards:

Bhai Mardana: 3 hymns: (1459-1534) Mardana was a rabab (rebeck) player who spent most of his life as a disciple and musician of Guru Nanak. Born a Muslim, Mardana was a childhood friend of Guru Nanak and accompanied him on all his great travels.

Satta & Balwand: 8 hymns: Satta was a rebeck player who served Guru Angad, Guru Amar Das, Gur Ram Das and Guru Arjan Dev. Along with his fellow musician Balwand they jointly composed a ballad which appears in the Guru Granth Sahib.

Bhagat Sunder: 6 hymns: Baba Sunder (1560-1610) was the great grandson of Guru Amar Das. His composition called Sadd (Calling) was written at the request of Guru Arjan Dev after the death of Guru Ram Das.

Raagas of Granth;

AGGS is arranged firstly according to the Raga, secondly, according to the nature or metre of the Sabd, thirdly authorship, and fourthly the clef. The total number of Ragas and Raginis is 84; the Guru has used only 31 musical measures in the scripture.

The Adi Granth starts with a non-raga section with Japji (ਜਪੁਜੀ) as the first entry. This is followed by thirty-one ragas in the following serial order: Sri Raga (ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ), Majh (ਮਾਝ), Gauri (ਗਉੜੀ), Asa (ਆਸਾ), Gujri (ਗੂਜਰੀ), Devgandhari (ਦੇਵਗੰਧਾਰੀ), Bihagarha (ਬਿਹਾਗੜਾ), Wadahans (ਵਡਹੰਸੁ), Sorath (ਸੋਰਠਿ), Dhanasri (ਧਨਾਸਰੀ), Jaitsri (ਜੈਤਸਰੀ), Todi (ਟੋਡੀ), Bairari (ਬੈਰਾੜੀ), Tilang (ਤਿਲੰਗ), Suhi (ਸੂਹੀ), Bilawal (ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ), Gond (ਗੌਂਡ), Ramkali (ਰਾਮਕਲੀ), Nut (ਨਟ), Mali-Gaurha (ਮਾਲੀ ਗਉੜਾ), Maru (ਮਾਰੂ), Tukhari (ਤੁਖਾਰੀ), Kedara (ਕੇਦਾਰਾ), Bhairo (ਭੈਰਉ), Basant (ਬਸੰਤੁ), Sarang (ਸਾਰਗ), Malar (ਮਲਾਰ), Kanrha (ਕਾਨੜਾ), Kalyan (ਕਲਿਆਨੁ), Parbhati (ਪ੍ਭਾਤੀ), and Jaijawanti (ਜੈਜਾਵੰਤੀ). Then come Saloks(ਸਲੋਕ) and Sweayas (ਸਵਈਏ). The final sections are Mundawani (ਮੁੰਦਾਵਣੀ), a Saloke, and Raag Mala.

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

Virinder ji,

Guru fateh.

Thanks for the great information. Much appreciated.

Tejwant Singh

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear Teji Ji,

Bhagat Sadna has only one Sabd in AGGS, the last hymn is my favorit which I learnt from my father, who used to do ardas morning and evening after Japji and Rehras, and when ever I am around he makes me sit and repeat that hymn in the end of the Ardas. I really do not know the whole story of the Sabd, I would request the enlightened members to be kind enough to let me know to understand the Sabd further in its totality. Here is the whole Sabd for your perusal;

ਨ੍ਰਿਪ ਕੰਨਿਆ ਕੇ ਕਾਰਨੈ ਇਕੁ ਭਇਆ ਭੇਖਧਾਰੀ ॥ ਕਾਮਾਰਥੀ ਸੁਆਰਥੀ ਵਾ ਕੀ ਪੈਜ ਸਵਾਰੀ ॥ ਤਵ ਗੁਨ ਕਹਾ ਜਗਤ ਗੁਰਾ ਜਉ ਕਰਮੁ ਨ ਨਾਸੈ ॥ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਰਨ ਕਤ ਜਾਈਐ ਜਉ ਜੰਬੁਕੁ ਗ੍ਰਾਸੈ ॥ ਏਕ ਬੂੰਦ ਜਲ ਕਾਰਨੇ ਚਾਤ੍ਰਿਕੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਗਏ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਫੁਨਿ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਜੁ ਥਾਕੇ ਥਿਰੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੈਸੇ ਬਿਰਮਾਵਉ ॥ ਬੂਡਿ ਮੂਏ ਨਉਕਾ ਮਿਲੈ ਕਹੁ ਕਾਹਿ ਚਢਾਵਉ ॥ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਛੁ ਹਉ ਨਹੀ ਕਿਛੁ ਆਹਿ ਨ ਮੋਰਾ ॥ ਅਉਸਰ ਲਜਾ ਰਾਖਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਸਧਨਾ ਜਨੁ ਤੋਰਾ ॥

Nrip kanniā ke kārnai ik bẖa▫i▫ā bẖekẖ▫ḏẖārī. Kāmārathī su▫ārthī vā kī paij savārī. Ŧav gun kahā jagaṯ gurā ja▫o karam na nāsai. Singẖ saran kaṯ jā▫ī▫ai ja▫o jaʼnbuk garāsai. Ėk būnḏ jal kārne cẖāṯrik ḏukẖ pāvai. Parān ga▫e sāgar milai fun kām na āvai. Parān ga▫e sāgar milai fun kām na āvai. Parān jo thāke thir nahī kaise birmāva▫o. Būd mū▫e na▫ukā milai kaho kāhi cẖadẖāva▫o. Mai nāhī kacẖẖ ha▫o nahī kicẖẖ āhi na morā. A▫osar lajā rākẖ leho saḏẖnā jan ṯorā.

For a king's daughter, a man disguised himself as Vishnu. He did it for sexual exploitation, and for selfish motives, but the God protected his honor. What is Your value, O Guru of the world, if You will not erase the karma of my past actions? Why seek safety from a lion, if one is to be eaten by a jackal? For the sake of a single rain-drop, the rain bird suffers in pain. When its breath of life is gone, even an ocean is of no use to it. Now, my life has grown weary, and I shall not last much longer; how can I be patient? If I drown and die, and then a boat comes along, tell me, how shall I climb aboard? I am nothing, I have nothing, and nothing belongs to me. Now, protect my honor; Sadhna is Your humble servant. -----Bhagat Sadhna, Raag Bilawal, AGGS, Page, 858

Cordially,

Virinder

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM