• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Bhagats Of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I have pondered how the lives of the Bhagats relates so closely to
one's (my own) life. While reading Surdas Ji,
I found so many parallels to that of mine.
Surely reading about their lives is to receive a direction.
It is such a down-to-earth, practical guidance for us.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I have pondered how the lives of the Bhagats relates so closely to one's (my own) life.
While reading Surdas Ji, I found so many parallels to that of mine.
Surely reading about their lives is to gives a direction. It is such a down-to-earth, practical guidance for us.

NamJap ji,

Guru Fateh and very honest self reflection. Our Gurus and Bhagats are like our inner mirrors. They show us what we truly are provided we do not suck our tummies in while looking ourselves in the outer mirrors.:)

Regards and thanks for sharing your innerself in an honest manner

Tejwant Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Yes Naam japp ji...and IF we place everything we read about the Bhagats' lives on the TOUCHSTONE OF GURBANI in SGGS..that will be like soneh te suhaga..
SGGS Gurbani si the Final decider...if the "life story/incident" agrees or is in line with the Bhagts own Gurbani/other bhagts gurbani or Gurus Gurbani...then its A-OK to accept that as TRUTH...but if there is a CONFLICT..then the GURBANI/SGGS wins Hands down a nd the other story/fact whatever stands REJECTED. TThis is my view and how i teach Gurbani and History...the two must go hand in glove....
:happy:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yes Naam japp ji...and IF we place everything we read about the Bhagats' lives on the TOUCHSTONE OF GURBANI in SGGS..that will be like soneh te suhaga..
SGGS Gurbani si the Final decider...if the "life story/incident" agrees or is in line with the Bhagts own Gurbani/other bhagts gurbani or Gurus Gurbani...then its A-OK to accept that as TRUTH...but if there is a CONFLICT..then the GURBANI/SGGS wins Hands down a nd the other story/fact whatever stands REJECTED. TThis is my view and how i teach Gurbani and History...the two must go hand in glove....
:happy:

Gyani ji

Here you are saying something very significant. There is no real way to support the specifics and details of the "life stories" of the bhagats. However there are times when the Adi Granth and the sakhis overlap. That makes for an important confirmation of Truth -- historical, yes, but more importantly a confirmation of the moral and spiritual significance of the story. This is an eye-opener and something that makes the sakhis even more interesting to study and consider.

There is some kind of synchronicity here. Last night I decided to read more about Kabir ji and found a historical treatise that was written in 1907 by an Englishman who was also a professor of religious studies at Allalhabad University. He must have been one of the earliest to try to get to the historical record regarding Sant Kabir-- about whom most of what is written is legend. The first chapter of the treatise is very long and full of foot-notes. He carefully told the story of each chapter of Kabir's life, but he also took care to include different versions that were available when telling each episode, point by point. There are conflicting stories. He showed how each version is the same and how each is different. He did not say, This one is true and this one is false.

But this is the interesting part and it reflects what you say above. The author reminded the reader when an episode is confirmed in Adi Granth then confirmation by the Guru takes the reader to the core of the sakhi, the part which is sound from a spiritual stance. At least one Guru, Guru Nanak, knew Kabir and could validate the moral part of Kabir's life purpose.

The author also includes many examples of places where confusion can arrise because historical documents (there are very few) suggest that stories about other people, also named "Kabir," may have been merged with the stories of the Bhagat. The best thing: He does not come down like an axe and say "believe me!" He leaves everything open and allows logic and intelligence to work.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Ji's - It is not clear whether we are supposed to read the sakhi of Bhair Surdasji and then post an essay about it. Forgive me if I am misunderstanding the procedure. But I will post my assignment as follows below. Delete this Nam Jap if we are not posting.

Assignment

Eyes, vision, insight and blindness seem important concepts in the sakhi of Bhai Surdas ji. But, constant devotion is the lesson.

Bhai Surdasji was born in poverty to a poor Brahmin family and had seen all 6 of his brothers lost in battle to Persian invaders. Yet he was blessed with poetic gifts, a beautiful voice, musical talent, a glowing personality and eyes that drew people to him. The sakhi says that when the Almighty is merciful he blesses his devotee with such qualities. Because of these blessings Bhai Surdasji was showered with praise and gifts of clothing, money and fame. And even more -- He instilled devotion in other people.

But the sakhi places Bhai Surdasji squarely in the middle of spiritual test .He encounters a beautiful woman, another man’s wife, who enchants him, and he composes a poem to celibrate her beauty -- though she herself is surprised he finds her beautiful. It is very strange. She is as beautiful as Radna but doesn't seem to know it. She only sees her beauty reflected in his eyes. Beauty is in the eye and mind of the beholder. Our attachments to the world of sensation are mental constructions. Our task is to see through the illusion. ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਮੇਰੈ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਕੀਨਾ ਆਪੇ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਏ ॥maaeiaa mohu maerai prabh keenaa aapae bharam bhulaaeae ||Emotional attachment to Maya is created by my God; He Himself misleads us through illusion and doubt. Guru Amar Das

Because he was spent by love for another man's wife, upon finding her house and meeting her husband, he has the beautiful woman blind him with two burning iron rods. The image describes how our mental constructions blind us, we are in love with our subjective illusions. ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਅੰਧੁ ਹੈ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹ ਗੁਬਾਰ ॥ thrai gun bikhiaa andhh hai maaeiaa moh gubaar || In the corruption of the three qualities, there is blindness; in attachment to Maya, there is darkness. Guru Amar Das

In spite of his blindness he continues his bhagatthi and is honored by the king, who enchanted by his poetry and devotion, and makes him clan leader. This inspires jealousy in others who defame him. ਤਿਉ ਸੰਤ ਜਨਾ ਕੀ ਨਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਹਿ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਖੈ ਪੈਜ ਜਨ ਕੇਰੀ ॥੩॥
thio santh janaa kee nar nindhaa karehi har raakhai paij jan kaeree ||3|| In just the same way, when someone slanders the Saint, the Lord preserves the honor of His servant. ||3| Guru Ram Das

He is sent to prison. He meets Timmer the warden whose name means darkness. Surdas ji composes a poem about Timmer “darkness” and the king releases him from prison. He is liberated. Only the King (Hari, Akaal, the Satguru) can liberate us from darkness. ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਚੂਕੈ ਮੋਹੁ ਗੁਬਾਰੁ ॥ gur thae maarag paaeeai chookai mohu gubaar ||Through the Guru, the Path is found, and the darkness of emotional attachment is dispelled. Guru Amar Das

Attraction and mental fixation on sensual pleasure (like a beautiful woman) blinds us. When we become blind to the world of our mind, imagination and perception, only then will we see. Though the King will bless us, others will defame us. Attachment to the praise and blame of our fellow humans on earth is our prison. When we honor the truth of our blindness and accept that Timmer is our warden and that we are in darkness, then the Almighty King will free us. Throughout the sakhi Bahi Sardasji never stops composing poetry. He is always in bhagatthii whatever his situation, whatever his plight. He is saved by the Almighty because he is steadfast in devotion. He writes That the people of the Almighty dwell in the Almighty ....and Gazing upon the Vision of the Lord's Darshan, they are cleansed of corruption and obtain everything.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Aad Ji, I have submitted Surdas Ji on post #39. So can we have Gyani Jarnail Singh Ji to decide the next course of action on this thread?
I approached Academy Malaysia today for their blessings to host this thread and give us a regular feed of direction which we could take, that is in line with their syllabus. But folks, everything takes time, so don't sweat it. We'll carry on as usual, as well as wait for Academy Malaysia to step in in due course.

Gyani Ji, please take charge of this thread.
May I suggest that we take turns in discussing the Bhagats.
As we know, me and aad Ji have passed up some assignments already.
So who wants to discuss/present the following Bhagats?

Bhagat Sain, Bhagat Parmanand, Bhagat Ramanand and Bhagat Sadna.

Last edited:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Reading Source:
Bhagats of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji | Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Academy Malaysia - Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Academy Malaysia
Bhagat Bikhan Ji ( Page 19)
Bhagat Bheni Ji (Page 27)

After you've read the above, you may ask any relevant questions here.

~ namjap ~

Here's more info about Bhagat Bhikhan:-

Bhagat Bhikhan
(1480-1573 AD)
Medicine of the Name Divine in the mouth he pours and yama's (demon) noose snaps​
In the Sikh thought, householder's life enjoys a place of prominence because only a householder can aspire to live with others in a spirit of humility, mutual understanding, cooperation and coexistence. The feeling of fraternity is also connected with the house holder's life, and as a result of it the house holder's life has been accepted as the ideal way to realize the ideal of service and remembrance of the Divine. All the contributors to the Guru Granth Sahib advocated this point of view, and bhagat Nizamuddin Bhikhan is one of these contributors.​
Bhikhan belonged to the Lucknow region in the Uttar Pradesh. He was born in AD 1480 in Kakeri town. He was the disciple of Syed Pir Ibrahim from whom he learnt the lesson in spiritual and moral values.​
Bhikhan, a medieval Indian Sufi saint (A monastic sect of Muslims), lived a very simple life guided by pious and high thinking. Bidauni, an historian contemporary of emperor Akbar, writes of Bhikhan that he was the greatest among scholars, but inspite of this he used to call himself Kari, i.e., a student or learner. Such a humble pseudonym (assumed name) reflects the humility of his heart. On the whole, the life of Bhikhan was the life of an ideal house holder. Being a great scholar and intellectual, Bhikhan's fame spread far and wide. Soon he came under the influence of Bhakti movement and thus became a bitter critic of futile superstitions and formalism. Religious label was no more of any importance for him. He devoted himself completely to the One Lord. To him, Divine Name was the Panacea for all human maladies. Thus, he came to develop a deep faith and devotion in the Absolute One. He was strongly against retaining difference in one's profession and practice. According to him, one who has to reach the Divine Portal must drink the nectar of Divine Name.​
Following is the complete hymn in this context
In the old age are the eyes flowing with water,
the body enfeebled,
The hair turned grey,
The throat choked, uttering not a word
What power has man now? (1)
Divine King, Lord! turn-you his physician now:
Save your devotees (1 Pause)
The forehead with ache is burning,
the heart throbbing with pain :
Such is the torment that knows no remedy.(2)
The Name Divine is holy amrita-Water-
this the whole world's remedy,
Prayeth Bhikhan, servant of God:
By the grace of the Master
The door of liberation may I attain! (3) (1)
SGGS-659​
Two hymns of Bhikhan are included in the Guru Granth Sahib on Page 659. The essence of these hymns is that it is man's deeds that cause him suffering and discontentment. Caught in the web of Maya (wealth) and love for his body, man is engaged in adding patches like mending the shoe. He can secure liberation from such a situation only if God bestows His grace on him. Then the path to liberation will become open to him. Divine grace is certainly bestowed on him provided he remembers the Lord-Curer of all ills of the world.
In his second hymn which begins by calling Name a priceless jewel, Bhikhan describes the effect of Naam-Simran (remembrance of Divine Name) on man's body, soul and mind. The taste of Name is indescribable, says Bhikhan, just as a dumb man cannot explain the taste of sweets. Reciting His Name provides comfort and joy to the tongue, and remembering Him is comforting for the mind. Bhikhan says that his eyes have experienced a strange coolth by remembering the Lord: now whichever direction he looks to, he perceives the Almighty Lord. This Hymn, reads as follows:
The invaluable jewel of the
holy Name in reward for good deeds have I attained.
By innumerable devices in my heart have I lodged it
Yet this jewel concealed may not be. (1)
Beyond expression are merits of the Lord,
As taste of sweets for the dumb. (1 pause)
In the tongue's utterance,
the ears listening to the Name,
The mind's contemplation, lies joy.
Saith Bhikhan : Both my eyes now are content:
Wherever 1 look, Him 1 behold.-(2)-(2) SGGS-659​
In both these hymns is found expressed the multi-faceted admiration of Name. The essence of his faith in the significance of Name is identical with the thought expressed in the following verse of the Gurus:
Of those not cherishing the Lord in heart Is all doing tasteless. SGGS-1336​
Some scholars are under the mistaken belief that these two hymns as included in the Scripture in the name of Bhikhan are in fact by Syed Bhikhan Shah, a holy-man who spent most of his time in the village of Ghuram, near Patiala. A tomb also stands erected there in his memory. Pir Bhikhan Shah of Ghuram had been a contemporary of Guru Tegh Bahadur and Guru Gobind Singh. As the tradition goes, Bhikhan Shah was performing his Namaz (Muslim prayer) facing west when he learnt of the birth of Guru Gobind Singh, and on learning this he immediately turned eastward (towards Patna) to pay obeisance to the newly born Guru.​
No doubt, Pir Bhikhan Shah was a sufi saint of high spiritual merit, but none of his verses is included in the Sikh Scripture. The holy-man whose hymns are included in the Guru Granth Sahib has been Bhagat Bhikhan who was born at Kakeri in Uttar Pradesh and about whom it is said that although he was Bhikhan by name yet he had the heart of an emperor. Eulogy of God was his profession. He had complete control over his senses, and remained ever absorbed in Divine Name.​
Bhagat Bhikhan breathed his last in 1631 Bikrami (1574-A.D.), the time when Guru Ram Das occupied the spiritual throne of Guru Nanak.
Here are examples of his bani included in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji:
rwgu soriT bwxI Bgq BIKn kI (659-11)
Raag Sorat'h, The Word Of Devotee Bheekhan Jee:
<> siqgur pRswid ] (659-11)
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:
nYnhu nIru bhY qnu KInw Bey kys duD vwnI ] (659-12, soriT, BIKn)
Tears well up in my eyes, my body has become weak, and my hair has become milky-white.
rUDw kMTu sbdu nhI aucrY Ab ikAw krih prwnI ]1] (659-12, soriT, BIKn)
My throat is tight, and I cannot utter even one word; what can I do now? I am a mere mortal. ||1||
rwm rwie hoih bYd bnvwrI ] (659-13, soriT, BIKn)
O Lord, my King, Gardener of the world-garden, be my Physician,
Apny sMqh lyhu aubwrI ]1] rhwau ] (659-13, soriT, BIKn)
and save me, Your Saint. ||1||Pause||
mwQy pIr srIir jlin hY krk kryjy mwhI ] (659-13, soriT, BIKn)
My head aches, my body is burning, and my heart is filled with anguish.
AYsI bydn aupij KrI BeI vw kw AauKDu nwhI ]2] (659-14, soriT, BIKn)
Such is the disease that has struck me; there is no medicine to cure it. ||2||
hir kw nwmu AMimRq jlu inrmlu iehu AauKDu jig swrw ] (659-14, soriT, BIKn)
The Name of the Lord, the ambrosial, immaculate water, is the best medicine in the world.
gur prswid khY jnu BIKnu pwvau moK duAwrw ]3]1] (659-15, soriT, BIKn)
By Guru's Grace, says servant Bheekhan, I have found the Door of Salvation. ||3||1||
AYsw nwmu rqnu inrmolku puMin pdwrQu pwieAw ] (659-16, soriT, BIKn)
Such is the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the invaluable jewel, the most sublime wealth, which I have found through good deeds.
Aink jqn kir ihrdY rwiKAw rqnu n CpY CpwieAw ]1] (659-16, soriT, BIKn)
By various efforts, I have enshrined it within my heart; this jewel cannot be hidden by hiding it. ||1||
hir gun khqy khnu n jweI ] (659-17, soriT, BIKn)
The Glorious Praises of the Lord cannot be spoken by speaking.
jYsy gUMgy kI imiTAweI ]1] rhwau ] (659-17, soriT, BIKn)
They are like the sweet candies given to a mute. ||1||Pause||
rsnw rmq sunq suKu sRvnw icq cyqy suKu hoeI ] (659-18, soriT, BIKn)
The tongue speaks, the ears listen, and the mind contemplates the Lord; they find peace and comfort.
khu BIKn duie nYn sMqoKy jh dyKW qh soeI ]2]2] (659-18, soriT, BIKn)
Says Bheekhan, my eyes are content; wherever I look, there I see the Lord. ||2||2|

Source: SikhLionz.com: Bhagat Bhikan

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Bhagat Beni
The devotee Beni chants Guru Nanak's merit who in serenity spiritual bliss enjoys.​
Nothing is known about the exact date and place of birth of Bhagat Beni. According to some scholars, he was born in Asani, but nothing is known about the exact location of this village or town. Inspite of all this uncertainty, he can be called a contemporary of Guru Nanak. It seems that Beni lived in this world somewhere between mid-15th century to the mid-16th century. He was a well educated scholar, with a very humble temperament. He was ever ready to serve the true preceptor which provided him real comfort:
Beloved! other than Thee none else have I.
Nothing else do I love;
in Thy grace lies my joy. SGGS-61​
Bhagat Beni makes a severe denunciation of the Brahmanical rituals and austerities of Hath Yoga' so that common man learns of the real motive of true religion i.e. cultivation of the Divine Name. He has three hymns on this subject included in the Guru Granth Sahib under Siri Raag (P.93), Rarnkali (974) and Prabhati (1351) musical measures. In these hymns he has severely denounced in an apt and cryptic tone the ritual formalism and advised us to ever remember the True Lord. In his hymn in Ramkali measure, beginning with "The passage ira, Pingala and Sukhmana, all in one place, at the tenth Door abide" says:
The Master's teaching in mind he bears,
His mind and body to the Lord's devotion dedicating.
By the enlightenment by the Master granted, are crushed demons of evil.
Lord! Beni for devotion to
Thy Name supplicates. SGGS-974​
This shows that he, who is fully absorbed in the Divine Name, has got rid of his sleep. He who has to overcome his five senses, must love the Lord's Name. The nine doors open only to develop love for and attachment with this manifest world. However, the tenth door is mystical through which one develops unity with God. A proper use of this saves man from failing to the trap of maya. As such, his life is not wasted, and he remains united to his object. The Divine Light kindles within him the four-pronged lamp, a musical measure which comprises of five instruments begins to play in his mind. Thus, in this hymn, Bhagat Beni lays emphasis on discarding ritualism and on developing unity with the Lord through the feeling of devotion. On an analysis of the language of this hymn, some scholars opine that Beni has denounced 'the limbs smeared with sandalwood paste and tulsi leaves placed on the forehead yet the heart be like one holding knife in hand (SGGS 1351). Thus, this hymn is said to stand in binary opposition to the Sikh precepts, but the fact is that he makes a categorical statement that the state of mystical unity with the Lord includes the fruits of Yoga practices and pilgrimages.
The hymn included under Prabhati measure paints a true picture of a man caught in a life of rituals and sham. Beni says: " You besmear your body with sandalwood paste and put tulsi leaves on your forehead, but in the hand of your heart you have a sharp dagger. How deceitful you are! still you pretend to have your consciousness fixed on the Lord. You are a prey to agnosticism. In your heart of hearts you have been conspiring either to kill someone or to usurp the property of the other. You dance before your deity so as to please it, but your mind is ever full of wicked designs. Thus, all that you are doing is futile because you are by nature wicked, immoral and impious. No doubt, you wear a rosary of tulsi-beads, a pastemark on your forehead, but all this is a sham because you have not purified yourself from within. Thus all your actions are futile, deceitful and full of wastage, How can the Lord be pleased with such action? What is acceptable to Him is the prayer offered in a humble and devout manner. Therefore the seeker must make a note that:
Whoever the essence of the self
has not contemplated,
All his action are hollow, blind.
Saith Beni : Let man by the Master's guidance
On the Lord meditate.
None without the holy Preceptor
finds the path. SGGS-1351
Guru Arjan Dev has also said that Bhagat Beni attained enlightenment only through the Holy Word.
Bhai Gurdas has also referred to the life of Bhagat Beni in the 14th stanza of his tenth Var. Therein he says that Beni was so close to the Lord that the latter Himself took the form of a king and fulfilled all his material needs
(The Lord) protects honour of the devotee
and calls on him as a king.
He provides him all solace
and takes care of his expenses ......
He came down from there to the devotee
and showed his benevolent love.
Thus He makes devotees ford Him.​
From the above it appears that Bhagat Beni had completely coalesced himself with the Lord. Bhagats generally have in a way, put the Lord under their spell :
Thou to Thy devotees art compliant-
The devotees from Thee have strength SGGS-962​
As we have not been able to locate the exact date, year of Beni's birth we have also failed to ascertain the date/Year and place of his death. However, it remains an accepted fact that he has through his pious and enlightened utterances, set new paths for a devotee to realize the spiritual essence.

Source:http://www.sikhlionz.com/bhagatbeni.htm

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Aad Ji, I have submitted Surdas Ji on post #40. So can we have Gyani Jarnail Singh Ji to decide the next course of action on this thread?
I approached Academy Malaysia today for their blessings to host this thread and give us a regular feed of direction which we could take, that is in line with their syllabus. But folks, everything takes time, so don't sweat it. We'll carry on as usual, as well as wait for Academy Malaysia to step in in due course.

OK, Nam Jap ji and thanks for the clarification. I will keep posting my homework next week. You can let me know when I take a wrong direction. Standing by for further instruction. :cool: Over and out.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Aad Ji, I have submitted Surdas Ji on post #39. So can we have Gyani Jarnail Singh Ji to decide the next course of action on this thread?

Gyani Ji, please take charge of this thread.
May I suggest that we take turns in discussing the Bhagats. As we know, me and aad Ji have passed up some assignments already. So who wants to discuss/present the following Bhagats?

Bhagat Sain, Bhagat Parmanand, Bhagat Ramanand and Bhagat Sadna.

Gurvinder Bhenji has agreed to cover Bhagat Sain Ji's life history. :happy:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Now I am really confused. I must sound like one of your students. I thought everyone was supposed to write something about each of the bhagats. :confused:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
"take charge" ?? imho we are all "in charge"..jios...all i cna promise is i read thru the entire thread on a daily basis..and involve my physical students..and anytime there is a comment to be added i will do the needful.
with guru jis kirpa the thread is progressing well - no complaints from my side (All the Life stories and info is already available on the SGGS Academy- when and if soemone feels there is some doubt..then do express it and we will discuss fully as far as we can)
So aad Jio and Santokh jio..do carry on adding your inputs. I am sure Tejwant ji and G.Singh ji will also join in as and when they have something to add...
Chardeekalla jios:happy:

Jun 2, 2007
India
BHAGAT SAIN JI

According to Bhai Gurdas Ji, Sain Ji was the disciple of Ramanand. Ramanand had adopted Sain Ji as his preceptor on hearing of the fame of Kabir (1398-1518) who, too, was Ramanand’s disciple. Sain was a barber, who served at the court of the king of Reva, then called Bandhavgarh, in Central India. Some say that he was attached to the court of the ruler of Bidar in South India and a few who support the South Indian tradition say that Sain was a disciple of jnanadeva .

Bhai Gurdas Ji, who regards him as a follower of Gosai Ramanand says that under Kabir's influence, Sain the barber became a bhagat. His nights were consecrated to a loving adoration of the Lord while the days were devoted to the humdrum duties at the King's darbar. Bhagat Sain has been classfied with the other greater bhagats in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

What is the best arati or form of adoration of the Lord is the theme of Sain’s pada incorporated in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. According to Sain singing of His praise and meditating on His Name constitute the highest worship. These alone will ferry one across the fearful ocean and bring him liberation.

One hymn of Bhagat Sain Ji who is counted among the disciples of Ramanand is included in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji , says in one of his hymns in the Holy Book that the name of Sain was a household word as a bhakta of rare devotion (SGGS,487). In another, hymn, he refers to him as an example of dedication to the service of holymen. Bhagat Ravidas Ji in a shabad in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ranks Bhagat Sain Ji with Bhagat Namdev Ji , Bhagat KabirJi, Bhagat Trilochan Ji and Bhagat Sadhna Ji in piety (SGGS 1106).

With thy grace, O Lord I were redeemed
Namdeva, Kabir and Trilochan
As were Sadhna and Sain.
Guru Arjan writes,
Jaidev has abandoned ego,
And, Sain, the barber, has been redeemed by serving the Lord.

Deeply interested in bhagati, Sain was always found in the company of the holy. Once a member of sadhus gathered together and went on reciting kirtan throughout the night, thus preventing Sain from attending to his work. Next morning when he went to the Raja and apologise for his absence from duty. The Raja remarked that he had done his job well.

Sain was overwhelmed with gratitude that God came to his rescue. The Raja realised that he had reached to such a elevated stage that God had sent someone else in place. Thus the Raja and his entire family became the devotees of Sain.

Source:internet

Jun 2, 2007
India
BANI OF BHAGAT SAIN JI IN SGGS (ANG 695)
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਸੈਣੁ
स्री सैणु ॥
Sarī Saiṇ.
Sri Sain:

ਧੂਪ ਦੀਪ ਘ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਾਜਿ ਆਰਤੀ
धूप दीप घ्रित साजि आरती ॥
Ḏẖūp ḏīp gẖariṯ sāj ārṯī.
With incense, lamps and ghee, I offer this lamp-lit worship service.

ਵਾਰਨੇ ਜਾਉ ਕਮਲਾ ਪਤੀ ॥੧॥
वारने जाउ कमला पती ॥१॥
vārne jā▫o kamlā paṯī. ||1||
I am a sacrifice to the Lord of Lakshmi. ||1||

ਮੰਗਲਾ ਹਰਿ ਮੰਗਲਾ
मंगला हरि मंगला ॥
Manglā har manglā.
Hail to You, Lord, hail to You!

ਨਿਤ ਮੰਗਲੁ ਰਾਜਾ ਰਾਮ ਰਾਇ ਕੋ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
नित मंगलु राजा राम राइ को ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Niṯ mangal rājā rām rā▫e ko. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Again and again, hail to You, Lord King, Ruler of all! ||1||Pause||

ਊਤਮੁ ਦੀਅਰਾ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਬਾਤੀ
ऊतमु दीअरा निरमल बाती ॥
Ūṯam ḏī▫arā nirmal bāṯī.
Sublime is the lamp, and pure is the wick.

ਤੁਹੀ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਕਮਲਾ ਪਾਤੀ ॥੨॥
तुहीं निरंजनु कमला पाती ॥२॥
Ŧuhīʼn niranjan kamlā pāṯī. ||2||
You are immaculate and pure, O Brilliant Lord of Wealth! ||2||

ਰਾਮਾ ਭਗਤਿ ਰਾਮਾਨੰਦੁ ਜਾਨੈ
रामा भगति रामानंदु जानै ॥
Rāmā bẖagaṯ Rāmānanḏ jānai.
Raamaanand knows the devotional worship of the Lord.

ਪੂਰਨ ਪਰਮਾਨੰਦੁ ਬਖਾਨੈ ॥੩॥
पूरन परमानंदु बखानै ॥३॥
Pūran parmānanḏ bakẖānai. ||3||
He says that the Lord is all-pervading, the embodiment of supreme joy. ||3||

ਮਦਨ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਭੈ ਤਾਰਿ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੇ
मदन मूरति भै तारि गोबिंदे ॥
Maḏan mūraṯ bẖai ṯār gobinḏe.
The Lord of the world, of wondrous form, has carried me across the terrifying world-ocean.

ਸੈਨੁ ਭਣੈ ਭਜੁ ਪਰਮਾਨੰਦੇ ॥੪॥੨॥
सैनु भणै भजु परमानंदे ॥४॥२॥
Sain bẖaṇai bẖaj parmānanḏe. ||4||2||
Says Sain, remember the Lord, the embodiment of supreme joy! ||4||2||

Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Last edited by a moderator:

NavjeetSingh

SPNer
Jan 1, 2009
Chandigarh
Finally I was able to put up my first post regarding Bhagat Trilochan JI. Putting all his hymns and little about his life. I will try my best to put about all the Bhagat of Shri Guru Granth Sahib JI. and also a downloadable pdf so that everybody could easily come to know about them. You can read the post here.

With the help of all of you I will be able to create the full posts very soon.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM