• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Bhagats Of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
BHAGAT JAIDEV JI

Bhagat Jaidev Ji's Childhood

Bhagat Jaidev Ji lived in Bengal, India. Born in the year 1208 at village Kendhli, district or Bir Bhum of west Bengal, on the river of Ajai. He came from a very poor Brahmin family. His father was Bhoj Dev Ji and mother, Vama Devi Ji.

Bhagat Jaidev Ji was a very intelligent child. At a very young age he was sent to a religious school to study Sanskrit. At that time, in the 11th century it was compulsory for children of Hindu Brahmins to learn Sanskrit. Bhagat Ji also excelled in classical music (Raag Vidya). At a very tender age, he composed his very own songs.

Bhagat Jaidev Ji had not even completed his education and his parents passed away. He could not bear the pain of loosing his parents at such a tender age. The only comfort was singing his heart out. As a result many of his compositions were very touching and Almighty-centered. People who heard them became emotional and Almighty-centered as well.

However Bhagat Jaidev Ji continued with his education and completed it with excellence. His relatives continued to support him financially for his daily needs and schooling.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Learned people usually say that children who are gifted or who are saintly will show signs at an early age. In their lives there are occasions where their miraculous powers or saintliness gets exposed to public attention.

Such was a miracle in Jaidev's life:

Whatever anyone has to say, Jaidev accepted it as truth and never questioned it. There was a Brahmin called Niranjan who was swindler. Niranjan noticed the unassuming behavior of Jaidev and targeted him too. One day he came to Jaidev in a sad mood. He said to Jaidev, "Your parents vere very good people. They were honest and fair and always spoke the truth. Whenever they committed to someone, they would fulfill their commitment. You know, they had borrowed money from me but before they could return the money they had left the world. If you can give your house to me, your parents' debt would be settled. Settling the debts of one's parents is a very good deed for a son to do."

Niranjan said the above in such sweet words that Jaidev never caught on to his scheming intentions. Jaidev signed the papers of ownership in favor of Niranjan. Holding the signed papers he gave a pat on the back of Jaidev. A while later, Niranjan's daughter came running to her dad informing him in distress mode, that their house was on fire. Niranjan dashed to his burning house with Jaidev's property papers in his hand. While trying to salvage important documents from his house, he dropped Jaidev's papers which also caught fire. They were destroyed in an instant.

The village people failed to subdue the fire. But when Jaidev Ji came to the place, the fire went off quite easily. On seeing such a miracle, the village people were astonished. Niranjan's inner voice chided him to fall at Bhagat Jaidev Ji's feet. He said, "I got what I deserved". In a gentle reply, Bhagat Jaidev Ji said, "The Almighty knows".

All the villagers got to know of Niranjan's deed. Their faith and respect for Bhagat Jaidev Ji grew in leaps and bounds. They started serving Bhagat Jaidev Ji. Even Niranjan started to serve Bhagat Jaidev Ji.

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear All,

Bhagat Jaidev: Born in 12C in Bengal and was a renowned poet laureate in the royal court of King Lakshman Sen of Bengal. His famous work of poetry Gitgovind is well known for its poetic beauty and musical richness. His two Sabds (ਪਦਾ) are recorded in AGGS in Raag Gujri and Maru. In Raag Gujri he talks about, moral the attributes, inutility of Hindu forms of worship of God, development of virtues, and subjugation of lower instincts;

ਗੂਜਰੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਜੈਦੇਵ ਜੀਉ ਕਾ ਪਦਾ ਘਰੁ ੪​

Gūjrī sarī Jaiḏev jī▫o kā paḏā gẖar 4

Goojaree, Padas Of Jai Dayv Jee, Fourth House:​

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥​

Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace of The True Guru:​

ਪਰਮਾਦਿ ਪੁਰਖਮਨੋਪਿਮੰ ਸਤਿ ਆਦਿ ਭਾਵ ਰਤੰ ॥ ਪਰਮਦਭੁਤੰ ਪਰਕ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਪਰੰ ਜਦਿਚਿੰਤਿ ਸਰਬ ਗਤੰ ॥੧॥ ਕੇਵਲ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਮਨੋਰਮੰ ॥ ਬਦਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਤਤ ਮਇਅੰ ॥ ਨ ਦਨੋਤਿ ਜਸਮਰਣੇਨ ਜਨਮ ਜਰਾਧਿ ਮਰਣ ਭਇਅੰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਭਵ ਭੂਤ ਭਾਵ ਸਮਬ੍ਯ੍ਯਿਅੰ ਪਰਮੰ ਪ੍ਰਸੰਨਮਿਦੰ ॥੨॥ ਲੋਭਾਦਿ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਪਰ ਗ੍ਰਿਹੰ ਜਦਿਬਿਧਿ ਆਚਰਣੰ ॥ ਤਜਿ ਸਕਲ ਦੁਹਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਦੁਰਮਤੀ ਭਜੁ ਚਕ੍ਰਧਰ ਸਰਣੰ ॥੩॥ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤ ਨਿਜ ਨਿਹਕੇਵਲਾ ਰਿਦ ਕਰਮਣਾ ਬਚਸਾ ॥ ਜੋਗੇਨ ਕਿੰ ਜਗੇਨ ਕਿੰ ਦਾਨੇਨ ਕਿੰ ਤਪਸਾ ॥੪॥ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੇਤਿ ਜਪਿ ਨਰ ਸਕਲ ਸਿਧਿ ਪਦੰ ॥ ਜੈਦੇਵ ਆਇਉ ਤਸ ਸਫੁਟੰ ਭਵ ਭੂਤ ਸਰਬ ਗਤੰ ॥੫॥੧॥

Parmāḏ purakẖmanopimaʼn saṯ āḏ bẖāv raṯaʼn. Parmaḏ▫bẖuṯaʼn parkariṯ paraʼn jaḏcẖinṯ sarab gaṯaʼn. ||1|| Keval rām nām manormaʼn. Baḏ amriṯ ṯaṯ ma▫i▫aʼn. Na ḏanoṯ jasmarṇen janam jarāḏẖ maraṇ bẖa▫i▫aʼn. ||1|| rahā▫o. Icẖẖas jamāḏ parābẖ▫yaʼn jas savasṯ sukariṯ kirt▫aʼn. Bẖav bẖūṯ bẖāv sam▫bi▫yam parmaʼn parsanmiḏaʼn. ||2|| Lobẖāḏ ḏarisat par garihaʼn jaḏibiḏẖ ācẖarṇaʼn. Ŧaj sakal ḏuhkariṯ ḏurmaṯī bẖaj cẖakarḏẖar sarṇaʼn. ||3|| Har bẖagaṯ nij nihkevlā riḏ karmaṇā bacẖsā. Jogen kiʼn jagen kiʼn ḏāḏen kiʼn ṯapsā. ||4|| Gobinḏ gobinḏeṯ jap nar sakal siḏẖ paḏaʼn. Jaiḏev ā▫i▫o ṯas safutaʼn bẖav bẖūṯ sarab gaṯaʼn. ||5||1||

In the very beginning, was the Primal God, unrivalled, the Lover of Truth and other virtues? It is absolutely wonderful, transcending creation; remembering It, all are emancipated. ||1||Dwell only upon the beauteous Name of the God, the embodiment of ambrosial nectar and reality. Remembering It in meditation, the fear of birth, old age and death will not trouble you. ||1||Pause|| If you desire to escape the fear of the Messenger of Death, then praise It joyfully, and do good deeds. In the past, present and future, It is always the same, and is the embodiment of supreme bliss. ||2|| If you seek the path of good conduct, forsake greed, and do not look upon other men's property and women. Renounce all evil actions and evil inclinations, and hurry to the Sanctuary of the Lord. ||3|| Worship the immaculate God, in thought, word and deed. What is the good of practicing Yoga, giving feasts and charity, and practicing penance? ||4|| Meditate on the Creator of the Universe, O man; It is the source of all the spiritual powers of the Siddhas. Jai Dev has openly come to God; Who is the salvation of all, in the past, present and future. ||5||1||-----Bhagat Jaidev, Raag Gujri, AGGS, Page, 526

In the following composition in the mode of Maru, he illustrates the practice of Yoga;

ਰਾਗੁ ਮਾਰੂ ਬਾਣੀ ਜੈਦੇਉ ਜੀਉ ਕੀ​

Rāg mārū baṇī jaiḏe▫o jī▫o kī

Raag Maaroo, The Word Of Jai Dayv Jee:​

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥​

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace of The True Guru:

ਚੰਦ ਸਤ ਭੇਦਿਆ ਨਾਦ ਸਤ ਪੂਰਿਆ ਸੂਰ ਸਤ ਖੋੜਸਾ ਦਤੁ ਕੀਆ ॥ ਅਬਲ ਬਲੁ ਤੋੜਿਆ ਅਚਲ ਚਲੁ ਥਪਿਆ ਅਘੜੁ ਘੜਿਆ ਤਹਾ ਅਪਿਉ ਪੀਆ ॥੧॥ ਮਨ ਆਦਿ ਗੁਣ ਆਦਿ ਵਖਾਣਿਆ ॥ ਤੇਰੀ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸੰਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਅਰਧਿ ਕਉ ਅਰਧਿਆ ਸਰਧਿ ਕਉ ਸਰਧਿਆ ਸਲਲ ਕਉ ਸਲਲਿ ਸੰਮਾਨਿ ਆਇਆ ॥ ਬਦਤਿ ਜੈਦੇਉ ਜੈਦੇਵ ਕਉ ਰੰਮਿਆ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਨਿਰਬਾਣੁ ਲਿਵ ਲੀਣੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੨॥੧॥

Cẖanḏ saṯ bẖeḏi▫ā nāḏ saṯ pūri▫ā sūr saṯ kẖoṛsā ḏaṯ kī▫ā. Abal bal ṯoṛi▫ā acẖal cẖal thapi▫ā agẖaṛ gẖaṛi▫ā ṯahā api▫o pī▫ā. ||1|| Man āḏ guṇ āḏ vakẖāṇi▫ā. Ŧerī ḏubiḏẖā ḏarisat sammāni▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o. Araḏẖ ka▫o arḏẖi▫ā saraḏẖ ka▫o sarḏẖi▫ā salal ka▫o salal sammān ā▫i▫ā. Baḏaṯ jaiḏe▫o Jaiḏev ka▫o rammi▫ā barahm nirbāṇ liv līṇ pā▫i▫ā. ||2||1||

The breath is drawn in through the left nostril; it is held in the central channel of the Sukhmanaa, and exhaled through the right nostril, repeating the God's Name sixteen times. I am powerless; my power has been broken. My unstable mind has been stabilized, and my unadorned conscience has been adorned. I drink in the Ambrosial Nectar. ||1|| With in my mind, I chant the Name of the Primal God, the Source of virtue. My vision, that You and I are separate, has melted away. ||1||Pause|| I worship the One who is worthy of being worshipped. I trust the One who is worthy of being trusted. Like water merging in water, I merge in to God. Says Jaidev, I meditate and contemplate the Luminous, Triumphant God, and lovingly absorbed in the Nirvana of God. ||2||1|| ------Bhagat Jaidev, Raag Maru, AGGS, Page, 1106

Cordially,

Virinder S. Grewal

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Bhagat Pipa Ji was born in year 1425 AD; 43 years before the coming of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Belonged to the Khdi clan of Rajputs and was King of a small state, Gagroan Ghar in eastern Rajasthan. He was young and handsome. He married many beautiful princesses. Sita was his favorite wife and the most beautiful. Pipa was so much in love with Sita that he could not concentrate in his royal duties.

Pipa worshipped Durga Devi as set by his ancestors. A temple stood in the palace grounds and his queens served the hungry sadhus with food daily.One day a group of musicians named "Vaishnavas" came to town. Pipa after consulting with Sita, invited them over. The group agreed to the invitation and asked to be accomodated for the night. Pipa was very happy with their singing and the group were satisfied with Pipa's hospitality. But they objected to him being a woman-chaser while being a devotee of Durga. They wished the King to follow and abide the "Vaishnava" path and did Ardas for him. The ardas produced results for Pipa.

......to be continued....

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
continued from previous post.........

King Pipa has a dream which greatly impacted his life. In his dream Narsingh, a demon looking figure entered his room - he warned Pipa not to worship the Goddess Durga, otherwise he shall die. In the morning he told Sita to accompany him to Durga Temple. As he prostrated before the statue of Durga, an inner voice told him, "I am a stone! Go away and worship the Almighty and follow the teachings of a saintly group. Now go away."

Pipa and Sita went back to the palace where they met their saintly guests. Both of them spent the whole night in their company. At dawn they joined the saints for their worship ceremony.

Meeting the Saint
The spiritual change was creeping into his mind in the midst of emotional conflicts. The preacher of the Durga temple invited Pipa for a prayer ceremony but this time Pipa declined the offer; instead he quickly went towards the holy group and humbly requested their head to show him the way of meditation of the Almighty's name. The leader said to Pipa, "It is the Almighty's grace that you have been shown the path to enlightenment. But the holy one who will bless you with the naam resides in Kashi (Benares). His name is Swami Ramanand. Go and seek him."

.... to be continued.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
The King and queen Sita decided to leave for Kashi, in search of Swami Ji. They reached Kashi in a blissful state of mind. Swami Ramanand Ji came to know that Pipa is here seeking him. But Pipa came with a large entourage, consisting of elephants, horses and beautiful canopies.

Swami Ji closed the door that led to his ashram and Pipa found the door shut. He was told that he required Swami Ji's permission to enter. A sewak who was asked to relay Pipa's intention to meet the Guru Ji, returned with the following message from Guru Ji. " Oh King, I am a poor man and unfit to be in the company of a King. It will be a good idea of the King decides to go to the temple instead."

Although disappointed, Pipa was not discouraged. Pipa ordered his men to make drastic changes. Pipa sahid, "distrubute all my wealth and belongings! My ministers and horses and elephants shall return, leaving me and Sita with nothing but the closthes we are wearing."

Pipa sent a message via the sewak, "Maharaj, I want to see you. My soul yearns to meet you."

Swami Ji doubted Pipa's sincerity and put him to a test. Pipa passed the test. Swami Ji realized that Pipa was indeed a sincere disciple and that one day he will be a 'bhagat'.

Swami Ji asked for Pipa's audience. Pipa followed the sewaks. Reaching he fell on Guru Ji's feet. With a repenting heart, he pleaded, "Maharaj, show me how to cross this terrifying world-ocean. Please tune my mind towards worship of the Almighty. I have been a devotee of Devi Durga, My attraction towards women has cast me into a ditch and I live a life of ignorance."

Swami Ji: "Get up, say the name "Ram Naam" Get up please!Pipa immediately started chanting 'Ram Naam' and finally to Pipa's great joy, Swamu Ramanand Ji blessed him.

Pipa becomes a Bhagat

Swami Ji : "Listen Bhagat Pipa, take no pride of your royal status and you can continue to rule your kingdom. Honor and serve the holy, Almighty-fearing people. Win support from your people by paying attention to their difficulties. Do not opress the poor. When your subjects, only then I shall come and visit you. You do not have to come back to Kashi. Keep on chanting 'Ram Naam' for 'Ram Naam' means everything to us.

.....to be continued.

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Bhagat Pipa: Born in 1425, Pipa was the king of the princely state of Gagaraungarh. He had been at first a worshipper of Durga, the consort of Shiva. He abdicated his throne, traveled extensively with his wife Sita and became a disciple of Ramanand. Finally accompanied Ramanad and settled at Dwarka while his Guru returned to Benaras. There are many anecdotes about him teaching service of God, chanting Its Name, and abolished the tyranny of veiling by women from men (Parda). He lived a life of extreme austerity and humility. His one hymn is included in the mode of Dhanasari in AGGS, where he shows that it is internal (contained in the body) and not external worship which is advantageous to progress in spirituality.

ਕਾਯਉ ਦੇਵਾ ਕਾਇਅਉ ਦੇਵਲ ਕਾਇਅਉ ਜੰਗਮ ਜਾਤੀ ॥ ਕਾਇਅਉ ਧੂਪ ਦੀਪ ਨਈਬੇਦਾ ਕਾਇਅਉ ਪੂਜਉ ਪਾਤੀ ॥੧॥ ਕਾਇਆ ਬਹੁ ਖੰਡ ਖੋਜਤੇ ਨਵ ਨਿਧਿ ਪਾਈ ॥ ਨਾ ਕਛੁ ਆਇਬੋ ਨਾ ਕਛੁ ਜਾਇਬੋ ਰਾਮ ਕੀ ਦੁਹਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਜੋ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡੇ ਸੋਈ ਪਿੰਡੇ ਜੋ ਖੋਜੈ ਸੋ ਪਾਵੈ ॥ ਪੀਪਾ ਪ੍ਰਣਵੈ ਪਰਮ ਤਤੁ ਹੈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਹੋਇ ਲਖਾਵੈ ॥੨॥੩॥

Kā▫ya▫o ḏevā kā▫i▫a▫o ḏeval kā▫i▫a▫o jangam jāṯī. Kā▫i▫ā baho kẖand kẖojṯe nav niḏẖ pā▫ī. Nā kacẖẖ ā▫ibo nā kacẖẖ jā▫ibo rām kī ḏuhā▫ī. ||1|| rahā▫o. Jo barahmanḏe so▫ī pinde jo kẖojai so pāvai. Pīpā paraṇvai param ṯaṯ hai saṯgur ho▫e lakẖāvai. ||2||3||

The self is the deity, the self the temple,
The self is the tribe of the trackers who trample.
The self is the essence, light and the offering.
In the self are the flowers the devotees string. ||1||
In the continent of the self, I found the Treasures Nine.
No one is born, no one dies, says the God sublime.
Whatever is in the world is obtaining in self,
He who seeks, finds it himself.
Says Pipa, it is eternal truth,
Only the True Guru helps realize forsooth. ||2||3|| -----Bhagat Pipa, Raag Dhanasari, AGGS, Page, 695

Virinder S. Grewal

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Continuation from Post #86......Keep on chanting 'Ram Naam' for 'Ram Naam' means everything to us.

Pipa felt enlightened by this sermon. Besides daily meditation on 'Ram Naam', he served the holy saints and their congregation. He took interest in promoting the Kirtan sessions. He paid off his other queens a proportion of his money and told them to take part in Almighty's worship. Sita alone stayed with him and furthered his mission on the teachings of his new found religion.

Pipa still felt unsatisfied while performing all this devotion because he felt the need to be physically close to Swami Ji. Swami Ji knew about Pipa's dissatisfaction, so Swami Ji and some of his followers went to visit Pipa at Gagnaur. As soon as Pipa came to know abouts Swami Ji's trip to visit him, he made preparations and an elaborate welcoming reception was set up. People were told about the divine attributes of Swami Ji and of how lucky they would be to be able to serve such an enlightened man.

Guru Arjan Dev Ji narrates about how fortunate a person becomes when he meets a person like with Swami Ramanand Ji.

Satguru Ji says,

Ang 683

ਧਨਾਸਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ਘਰੁ ੧੨
धनासरी महला ५ घरु १२
Ḏẖanāsrī mėhlā 5 gẖar 12
Dhanaasaree, Fifth Mehl, Twelfth House:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਬੰਦਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਬੰਦਨਾ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਗੋਪਾਲ ਰਾਇ ਰਹਾਉ
बंदना हरि बंदना गुण गावहु गोपाल राइ ॥ रहाउ ॥
Banḏnā har banḏnā guṇ gāvhu gopāl rā▫e. Rahā▫o.
I bow in reverence to the Lord, I bow in reverence. I sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, my King. ||Pause||

ਵਡੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਭੇਟੇ ਗੁਰਦੇਵਾ
वडै भागि भेटे गुरदेवा ॥
vadai bẖāg bẖete gurḏevā.
By great good fortune, one meets the Divine Guru.

ਕੋਟਿ ਪਰਾਧ ਮਿਟੇ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਵਾ ॥੧॥
कोटि पराध मिटे हरि सेवा ॥१॥
Kot parāḏẖ mite har sevā. ||1||
Millions of sins are erased by serving the Lord. ||1||

ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲ ਜਾ ਕਾ ਮਨੁ ਰਾਪੈ
चरन कमल जा का मनु रापै ॥
Cẖaran kamal jā kā man rāpai.
One whose mind is imbued with the Lord's lotus feet

ਸੋਗ ਅਗਨਿ ਤਿਸੁ ਜਨ ਬਿਆਪੈ ॥੨॥
सोग अगनि तिसु जन न बिआपै ॥२॥
Sog agan ṯis jan na bi▫āpai. ||2||
is not afflicted by the fire of sorrow. ||2||

ਸਾਗਰੁ ਤਰਿਆ ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗੇ
सागरु तरिआ साधू संगे ॥
Sāgar ṯari▫ā sāḏẖū sange.
He crosses over the world-ocean in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗੇ ॥੩॥
निरभउ नामु जपहु हरि रंगे ॥३॥
Nirbẖa▫o nām japahu har range. ||3||
He chants the Name of the Fearless Lord, and is imbued with the Lord's Love. ||3||

ਪਰ ਧਨ ਦੋਖ ਕਿਛੁ ਪਾਪ ਫੇੜੇ
पर धन दोख किछु पाप न फेड़े ॥
Par ḏẖan ḏokẖ kicẖẖ pāp na feṛe.
One who does not steal the wealth of others, who does not commit evil deeds or sinful acts -

ਜਮ ਜੰਦਾਰੁ ਆਵੈ ਨੇੜੇ ॥੪॥
जम जंदारु न आवै नेड़े ॥४॥
Jam janḏār na āvai neṛe. ||4||
the Messenger of Death does not even approach him. ||4||

ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਅਗਨਿ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਆਪਿ ਬੁਝਾਈ
त्रिसना अगनि प्रभि आपि बुझाई ॥
Ŧarisnā agan parabẖ āp bujẖā▫ī.
God Himself quenches the fires of desire.

ਨਾਨਕ ਉਧਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਰਣਾਈ ॥੫॥੧॥੫੫॥
नानक उधरे प्रभ सरणाई ॥५॥१॥५५॥
Nānak uḏẖre parabẖ sarṇā▫ī. ||5||1||55||
O Nanak, in God's Sanctuary, one is saved. ||5||1||55||

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Bhagat Ramanand: 1 hymn: (1359-1467) Ramanand, a Brahmin was born in 1359 in Madras and was fourth in spiritual descent of Swami Ramanj. The later was a worshiper of Vishnu and died after living 120 years and believed that purity of thought could only be obtained by eating food not seen by others. He found himself in difficulty between pantheism and anthropomorphism. Ramanand cancelled observance of caste rules and all can eat together irrespective of birth. He said a low caste man who loves God is superior to a Brahman. He was distinguished for his kindness to others and loves of God being a monotheistic. His disciples in AGGS are Pipa, Sain, Dhanna, Ravidas, Kabir and others like Anantanand, Sureshwarananad, Sukhananad, Bhawannanad. He died at Benares at an advanced age. He is regarded as the pioneer of the Bhakti movement in northern India. A Vaishnava in his early life, he became a worshipper of Brahma and condemned the caste system. Kabir was the most renowned amongst his disciples. His one Sabad in AGGS is present in Raag Basant;

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਕਤ ਜਾਈਐ ਰੇ ਘਰ ਲਾਗੋ ਰੰਗੁ ॥ ਮੇਰਾ ਚਿਤੁ ਨ ਚਲੈ ਮਨੁ ਭਇਓ ਪੰਗੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਏਕ ਦਿਵਸ ਮਨ ਭਈ ਉਮੰਗ ॥ ਘਸਿ ਚੰਦਨ ਚੋਆ ਬਹੁ ਸੁਗੰਧ ॥ ਪੂਜਨ ਚਾਲੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਠਾਇ ॥ ਸੋ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਬਤਾਇਓ ਗੁਰ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਮਾਹਿ ॥੧॥ ਜਹਾ ਜਾਈਐ ਤਹ ਜਲ ਪਖਾਨ ॥ ਤੂ ਪੂਰਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਹੈ ਸਭ ਸਮਾਨ ॥ ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਸਭ ਦੇਖੇ ਜੋਇ ॥ ਊਹਾਂ ਤਉ ਜਾਈਐ ਜਉ ਈਹਾਂ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥੨॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੈ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਤੋਰ ॥ ਜਿਨਿ ਸਕਲ ਬਿਕਲ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕਾਟੇ ਮੋਰ ॥ ਰਾਮਾਨੰਦ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਰਮਤ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਾਟੈ ਕੋਟਿ ਕਰਮ ॥੩॥੧॥

Kaṯ jā▫ī▫ai re gẖar lāgo rang. Merā cẖiṯ na cẖalai man bẖa▫i▫o pang. ||1|| rahā▫o Ėk ḏivas man bẖa▫ī umang. Gẖas cẖanḏan cẖo▫ā baho suganḏẖ. Pūjan cẖālī barahm ṯẖā▫e. So barahm baṯā▫i▫o gur man hī māhi. ||1| Jahā jā▫ī▫ai ṯah jal pakẖān. Ŧū pūr rahi▫o hai sabẖ samān. Beḏ purān sabẖ ḏekẖe jo▫e. Ūhāʼn ṯa▫o jā▫ī▫ai ja▫o īhāʼn na ho▫e. ||2|| Saṯgur mai balihārī ṯor. Jin sakal bikal bẖaram kāte mor. Rāmānanḏ su▫āmī ramaṯ barahm. Gur kā sabaḏ kātai kot karam. ||3||1||

Where should I go? My home is filled with bliss. My consciousness does not go out wandering. My mind has become crippled. ||1||Pause|| One day, a desire welled up in my mind. I ground up sandalwood, along with several fragrant oils. I went to God's place, and worshipped It there.
That God showed me the Guru, within my own mind. ||1|| wherever I go, I find water and stones.

You are totally pervading and permeating in all. I have searched through all the Vedas and the Puraanas. I would go there, only if the God were not here. ||2|| I am a sacrifice to You, O my True Guru. You have cut through all my confusion and doubt. Ramanand's God and Master is All-pervading. The Word of the Guru's Sabd eradicates the karma of millions of past actions. ||3||1|| ------Ramananad, Raag Basant, AGGS, Page, 1195-11

Virinder S. Grewal

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Bhagat Kabir: 530 hymns: (1398 CE to 1518 Common Era/71 years before Guru Nanak) was raised by Muslim parents. Kabir Panthis (followers of Kabir) say that he lived up to the age of 120 years. Bhagat Kabir Das (Kabir is Arabic for "great", and Das is Prakrit for "slave" or "servant"), is widely acknowledged as one of the great personalities of the Bhakti movement in North India. In AGGS among all Bhagats, Kabir's contribution is the largest, 287 Padas in 17 ragas and 243 Slokes. In his poems, he was quick to express the illustrations of moral and spiritual truth in the incidents of everyday life, and many of his similes and metaphors are very striking. Under each raga or musical mode marking a section of the Holy Book, Kabir's hymns appear at the head of Bhagat Bani, a generic name for the works of contributors other than the Gurus. He lived as a householder, abhorred the caste system and religious rituals. He was a saintly apostle of peace, love and unity and a great poet. Kabir believed in inward purity, and was respected by both Hindus and Muslims.

Conclusions:

1. Kabir was a critique of the Vedic philosophy and fossilized beliefs in the very heartland of the Hindu orthodoxy and makes a departure from Sanskrit which was deemed to be a divine language. Kabir preached in the dialect (Khari Boli) of the common folks. He and other Bhagats popularized, liberalized and democratized the Bhakti cult among the down trodden. Vedic philosophy was also criticized by Gautam Buddha before.

2. Kabir refused to use the Divine language (Sanskrit) instead used 'Khari boli' of the masses for his Bani and so did the Buddhists to write the Buddha's philosophy in Pali instead of Sanskrit before.- Guru Nanak also preferred to use the language of the masses (Punjabi) to write his Thoughts/Bani.

3. The Khari boli of Kabir is very similar to the Punjabi of Guru Nanak. In AGGS some verses of Bani of Guru Nanak and that of Kabir started with letters of Punjabi. It means Punjabi (Khari Boli) was known in Banaras. It is worth noting that the Buddhists, Guru Nanak and Kabir and other Bhagats did not use the Divine language (Sanskrit) to write their philosophies, but used the language spoken by the masses to have close contact with them, so that the masses could easily grasp their message. Question arises as to why do the great Gurus/teachers/prophets/seers preferred to use the language of the masses rather than the Divine language (Sanskrit)? It indicates that the Sanskrit was synthesized for the Brahmans to rewrite the Hindu holy books in that language so that only Brahmans could read it and to shackle the masses into ritualism to control them with their own code of conduct. Under these circumstances it is difficult to relate that Sanskrit could be the mother of all Indian languages since the masses were entirely ignorant of this Divine language (Sanskrit). There is possibility that Sanskrit was codified from the spoken language of the people of the Punjab in such a way that an ordinary person could not understand it and to keep it the language of the elite.

4. Due to virulent criticism of the Vedic Brahmanism and ritualism Kabir became a charismatic religious personality and was popular among the subaltern masses. His sayings became part and parcel of the collective subaltern psyche. So was done by Guru Nanak.

Virinder S. Grewal

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
BHAGAT FAREED JI

Sheikh Fareed Ji was born in 1173 AD (Islamic year 584) in the village called Kothi, Multan (Pakistan). His full name was Fareed-ud-Masoud. His father was Jamal-ud-Suleman and mother was Mariam (Karsum Bibi). His mother had a high level of religious awareness. He was the grandson of Sheikh Shoaib who was in turn the grandson of the King of Kabul and Ghazni, who was the grandson of Saint Ibrahim Bin Adham, the descendant of Caliph Umar bin al-Khattab.

Continue reading from this link:-
http://sggsacademy.net/SGGS/index.php/component/option,com_flippingbook/Itemid,54/book_id,6/

Bhagat Fareed Ji starts on page 94

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM