• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Don't Sikh Girls Want To Marry Sikh Guys? Solution!

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
I know my "story" sound funny - but I dont care just wanted to say , lol. Sometimes I laugh at it as well with a bitter aftertaste.. However , yes you are right Harry ji^^ We just should all live like monks -ascetic then we wouldn´t have any problems lol

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
Re: Why Don't Sikh Girls Want To Marry Sikh Guys? Solution.

Intreging as this is, I as an individual have no problems when interacting with non-Sikh women on a non-plutonic level, be they Muslim, Hindu, Black, White, Chinese etc....

It does quite naturally beg the question, what exactly am i doing wrong when i am interacting with Sikh Women?
In all honesty,and after alot of soul searching, I do not believe it is me, as 'my game' is pretty solid all round and i have pretty good dating success with Muslim, Hindu etc... women.
Perhaps the fact that i have been turned down soo many times has had an adverse effect on me? Who knows, Just need to move one really.

I've loved a couple of men from Sikh background. I would again (their choice to leave, not mine). I would have no problem, I have come to realise, with the idea of dating a man wearing a turban. When growing up, I was always attracted to bald guys, I don't know why. Long hair never attracted me. But I have realised with age that things grow on you when you are exposed to them enough. I am still fine with bald guys. I'm not Sikh myself but with a very healthy respect for the religion, if there was a man who was interested in me who wore a turban and had long hair...if he was a kind caring individual who I got along with, I would be fine with it. I would not necessarily stop cutting MY hair as I do not think I would ever "convert" to being Sikh but I'm very very open to going to a gurdwara regularly, adopting many Sikh practices in general, as well as like I say respecting Sikh people, learning about them, the culture, the language, the religion...I find it all fascinating. what I find fascinating partly is how often people talk about the cultures being "different" and yet...really they're so very similar too in many ways. If we all learned a bit more about each other's culture we'd see it more, each and every one of us. :)

Sadly, it seems there is a fair lot of shame associated in bringing home a gori and not just amongst guys who don't shave. But I know there are decent guys out there who are willing to go above and beyond culture and say "hey it's ok for me to care about someone who isn't Sikh even if I am"...I've met one or two. Obviously they're already taken hahaha. ;-)

One thing that must be understood is that, and i must stress that this is my own personal experience, that men and women look for different things.

Men generally look for Beauty, to sum it up frankly, followed by character traits. Pretty sure guys can fill in this section.

Women on the other hand look for qualities such as Leadership, Dominance, Commanding Respect in all spheres of life, Good sense of Humor, intelligence, ambition, Sexual Awareness (Note Not Someone who sleeps around, though some do like it, but then i am advocating it) and so forth.

This is true, that men and women look for different qualities, but I think likely from your pseudonym you are a guy? ;-) I don't disagree that men go for physical beauty and THEN tend to get to know someone they find appealing where women do almost the opposite. That is where I kind of slightly diverge from your opinion. Some women may look for what you say, others not. I don't care so much about dominance, commanding/leadership at all. I care about friendliness, caring, honesty (that is a BIG one) and not being a control freak (I was married to one of those...not anymore). Seriously, the guy who spends a lot of time showing me how much I mean to him by way of frequent messages, spending quality time together doing stuff you do with good friends...THAT is the kind of guy I end up falling for, and once I am well enamoured with his brain/personality, it's not just that the looks matter less, but additionally, things you might have found less appealing to begin with all of a sudden are MORE appealing, or turn you on. Twist of the head, gap between the front teeth, funny shaped thumb nail...doesn't matter what it is. If you care about the PERSON you incorporate those small details to be "cute" or "attractive" in your view, rather than bothersome. Also, time and again, I find myself second guessing my own thoughts on things and realising my own prejudices sometimes. Case in mind, I always said to myself I would NEVER be comfortable dating someone more than 5-6 years in difference in age from myself. When it happened, with a much larger age gap...all of a sudden, I made peace with it. Some might say I made excuses and rationalized it to myself...call it what you will. It DID bother me to begin with...but I did some soul searching and asked myself WHY it bothered me. One of my best female friends is a very many years different in age than I am and we get along GREAT. Why should it be any differently with a guy? Finally, when I realised my "reasons" were just "excuses", I made peace with it.

Physically - Dress well, Tie a neat turban, Tone yourself, become fit.
Mentally - Study how to 'get' (no other word comes to mind) a woman. Google how to become a player to find a 'dating guru.'
Emotionally -Study the Scriptures, will have a powerful effect on you. Become receptive to what a woman needs, Note not wants.

Is the main goal "getting" a woman in life? What about friendship and companionship? ;-)

I don't disagree with dressing well, in general (except when doing house renovations, gardening, etc. ;-)), getting fit, reading scripture if it suits you, but what a woman needs and what she wants may well be very tightly intertwined. Don't forget women are complex creatures from Venus ;-) and half of the time we don't know ourselves what we want ;-) and certainly no more what we need either. ;-)

Reduce the amount of drivel that is being force fed to you through the TV i.e. Bollywood and Bhangra Videos.

I have accomplished this fine; I don't watch much of anything. ;-) Occasionally go to see a movie, fine, but really, I study (Punjabi of course! ;-)) more than anything else in my free time. :p

:)

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
forget white girlfriends, its starting to look like turbaned Sikhs have enough problems getting even Sikh wives if the matrimonial pages are anything to go by lol

That's sad. But I'll also say, as a gori, I'd be more than happy to date a sikh guy if things were right between us. I would NEVER ever propose that he remove his turban and cut his hair for me. However...I also would not really be interested in converting. I kind of see it like "I respect your religion...100%. I even GO to a gurdwara and help out and enjoy it there and learn the language and culture and...but I am NOT Sikh myself and don't plan on becoming one, so please respect THAT too!!" :)

kanwaljs

SPNer
Nov 11, 2009
Delhi
Sikh religion is a way of life. Keeping hairs is a natural God gift. Starting from our 1st Guru Nanak, he emphasis on love for nature. He says that nature is the form of God ("Balihari kudrat vasia, tera ant na jayi lakhia"). So going against nature is not good. When one cuts his hairs, hairs comes again and again. It shows that God's strong desire that man should be with hairs. Guru Nanak also preached that human should obey the orders of God and should be happy and satisfied always with the God's will. That is the very reason that sikh people do not cut their hairs. Other sikh Gurus also followed Guru Nanak's path. Guru Nanak honored this God's will in sikh religion, but every human when loves God deeply, he is developing the habit of not to cut his hairs and give honor to God almighty.

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Tiger ji,
Thanks for the good commentary. As a Singh, I have to admit I hadn't really thought about what a young Sikh girl must face mentally in choosing to observe the K's, especially in the onslaught, as you say, of the ubiquitous Bollywood image (as well as Hollywood, of course). Placing myself in her shoes for a moment, considering the already tough task of self-esteem and acceptance etc, I can only imagine how much agony may go into also keeping bodily kesh, in the face of a totally one-sided world image of beautiful females being hairless.
I would (hesitantly) propose an effort, perhaps here at SPN, to occasionally present images of proud, beautiful females with underarm hair. I say hesitantly because in this age I could see how someone would post such images elsewhere to be mocked at. I just find it's psychologically weird to expect Sikh girls to embrace kesh when there is literally no example in any media where a healthy, happy woman has bodily kesh.:ikonkaar:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
So going against nature is not good. When one cuts his hairs, hairs comes again and again. It shows that God's strong desire that man should be with hairs

Placing myself in her shoes for a moment, considering the already tough task of self-esteem and acceptance etc, I can only imagine how much agony may go into also keeping bodily kesh, in the face of a totally one-sided world image of beautiful females being hairless.

I do not find any element of Gurmat in the above statements, has it ever occured that hair is a metaphor, a sign of bowing to the will of Creator in every aspect of our lives, yet, of being free to do as we wish, and if that freedom involves aligning to the truth, then the hair works on many levels, as a sign to others, as a reminder, as an article of faith, but to describe having this as an agony is painful to read. What does anyone learn from such agony? Only that 'God' wants you to suffer in order to do the right thing.

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Long time no SPN..0:)

Anyway I think brother Onam meant it in common not "only" the "beautiful" ones , I say "beautiful" because beauty is differnt in everyy eye.

Brother Onam

Writer
SPNer
Jul 11, 2012
Harry Ji,
of course hair itself is not painful, but rather the scorn or ostracization that may be experienced by a young lady wishing to keep kesh, in a world that so uniformly touts the shaved body as the only legitimate standard of female beauty. As I had said, being a teenager dealing with issues of self-confidence, belonging and acceptance, self-image and peer-pressure, must already be a pretty daunting portion. I believe wanting to also be true to Sikhi mandate of honouring hair amidst a contrary culture may fairly be described as agony.
Swimming upstream is never an easy thing; swimming against a worldwide image at odds with a young lady's teachings must be doubly hard.
Gur fateh

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry Ji,
of course hair itself is not painful, but rather the scorn or ostracization that may be experienced by a young lady wishing to keep kesh, in a world that so uniformly touts the shaved body as the only legitimate standard of female beauty. As I had said, being a teenager dealing with issues of self-confidence, belonging and acceptance, self-image and peer-pressure, must already be a pretty daunting portion. I believe wanting to also be true to Sikhi mandate of honouring hair amidst a contrary culture may fairly be described as agony.
Swimming upstream is never an easy thing; swimming against a worldwide image at odds with a young lady's teachings must be doubly hard.
Gur fateh

I am not quite sure why we care, I think we should let young ladies do as they wish, one day they will not be young ladies, and maybe be drawn to Sikhism with a few more years behind them. Let us forget those young ladies and their agony of belonging, and focus instead on the more hidden gems of Sikhism, the father who insists his daughter is married in the same caste, the mother who insists the dowrie is not big enough, the death of any identity of the bride after marriage, new name, new house, new person, I think there are bigger 'daunting portions' in Sikh culture where absolutely no thought is given to Gurmat, by those who look utterly perfect, why is that not looked at instead?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
just the beautiful ones?

Harry ji, we're all beautiful.

Brother Oman has a point, though, that we keshdhari Sikh women have virtually no glamorous role models. I might volunteer but I think a short, obese, elderly auntie type would hardly inspire young women.

Anyway, at my age with my body type, my body hair simply isn't visible. I don't wear shorts publicly or sleeveless tops and I never did wear skirts or bikinis. So we need to find some young and lovely keshdhari Sikh women. A problem is that most such women maintain a level of modesty that precludes showing the parts of the body that show the "offending" hair. Perhaps at the beach?

Forgive me. I'm just thinking out loud. Men have beards that are clearly visible unless they take up the niqab or something.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry ji, we're all beautiful.

Brother Oman has a point, though, that we keshdhari Sikh women have virtually no glamorous role models. I might volunteer but I think a short, obese, elderly auntie type would hardly inspire young women.

Anyway, at my age with my body type, my body hair simply isn't visible. I don't wear shorts publicly or sleeveless tops and I never did wear skirts or bikinis. So we need to find some young and lovely keshdhari Sikh women. A problem is that most such women maintain a level of modesty that precludes showing the parts of the body that show the "offending" hair. Perhaps at the beach?

Forgive me. I'm just thinking out loud. Men have beards that are clearly visible unless they take up the niqab or something.

I think a better inspiration for young women would be if the people telling such what and what not to do did not jump from being Gurmat about others behaviour to being completely in the self when it comes to themselves.

I have a question for you sisterji, would a glamorous role model have made any difference to your life when you were growing up?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I have a question for you sisterji, would a glamorous role model have made any difference to your life when you were growing up?
Me? My role model was Mai Bhago. How glamorous can you get?

As for pretty ladies, I'm the wrong person to ask. I had no interest in make up or fancy clothes or any of that girly girl stuff as a teenager myself. In fact, I totally despised all that stuff and considered it weak and silly. But I am weird. To this day, I dislike cosmetics, especially on young girls who are natural perfection without it. Convincing our girls that their natural physical self is somehow lacking is a great disservice to them and to us. This is true for all girls, not just Sikhs, but we're discussing Sikh girls here.

No, I would have considered glamorous role model simply silly.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
What's it to anyone if someone (boy or girl) wants to keep their hair? Any agony that arises will be felt by them, and no one else. If they want to follow their heart, instead of following the crowd, then massive respect to them.

Let's look into this agony realistically. Kesdhari Sikhs have been successful in all fields: Arts, Politics, Military, Medicine, Engineering, Sports, Law, Fashion, etc. Real agony is not being able to put food on the table for your family. I don't recall seeing any sardar begging on the streets in my life.

Hair isn't the "be all and end all" of Sikhism, but it is an integral part. Just like the hijab is to Islam, or the yarmulka is to Judaism. Perhaps calling it a "hirsute fetish" is an attempt to negate whatever guilt you may feel for cutting your hair. You don't have to feel guilty. You have free will. Be happy with your choice. With the same token, you should be respectful of those who choose to keep their hair.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Most of us like to CHURN WATER so very very much....we worry about Sikh Girls marrying .....not marrying...etc etc...sikhs with hirsute problems..or not..sikhs with hormonal problems ..or not...blah blah blah.. Sikh populations declining....more and more ghonas and monas..more and more higher dumallas with chakras and huge karras kirpans but very tiny amounts of real GURMATT inside....BABA FARID JI converted MORE PEOPLES TO ISLAM....and SIKHS BOW TO HIS BANI IN SGGS....AURENGZEB also converted many many hundreds of thousands to islam..but ??? AURENGZEB was as devout a Mulsim as baba Farid Ji..Aurengzeb never raped or plundered..he never spent a single cent form the Royal treasury on his personal needs, he prayed five times a day, kept the ramdhan faithfully...BUT he USED FORCE and fear to convert..Baba farid Ji used LOVE and Compassion...Aurengzeb cut off Guru Teg bahadur jis head..Baba farid made it into the SGGS to sit as equal to the other Divine Masters seated therein...
Today SIKHS also have to make a choice..are they going the BABA FARID JI way..or the AURENGZEB WAY....Most of the dummallas chakras and 2 KILO stainless steel karras types are sadly the AURENGZEB WAY..the TALIBANS of Sikhism..who look DOWN on all who DONT LOOK LIKE THEM !!! They want to "convert"...with force if need be.. AURENGZEB CHURNED WATER.....Baba farid Ji churned MILK to get BUTTER as His bani's status in SGGS is proof...SIKHS TODAY NEED to start churning MILK....

DID Guru Nanak ji WORRY about SRI CHAND not obeying Him...not following in the Path of GURMATT that He came into the WORLD to TEACH ?? Imagine...Guru Nanak ji travelling the whole wide world to spread His Divine Message of Gurmatt and his own 2 sons not the least bothered by His Message and actively DISOBEYING HIM...as Bhai Gurdass Ji bears wittness..Putreen KAUL na pallio..the SONS DISOBEYED the Masters everry command...the Sons became "Mad" and Violent....(Guru Angad's sons)..the sons reclused and withdrew form the world (Guru Amardass jis sons).. There is no indication of any "agony" we carry on about some one cutting his hair..some kaur shaving her eyebrows..etc etc.. I think the GURUS EXAMPLES teach us to CHURN MILK..so we can get the BUTTER...churning WATER is a fruitless exercise and vexating to say the least... LIFE is too short....

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
There is one very big advantage to walking the road of TRUTH..SACH....this advantage is the Road will be NOT CROWDED at all..no CONGESTION.

The Road of FRAUD...FALSEHOOD...FAKE...will be so Congested and crowded..it will be like a stand still JAM.....YET many Sikhs "wish" the GURMATT ROAD to be "like a stand still jam"...and such a WISH can NEVER BE.....Look at GURU NANAK JI standing ALONE....vis a vis the MILLION strong KUMBH MELA at hardwaar... jostling crowds at jagnath Puri..Mecca..Medina..etc etc etc...

Was GURU NANAK JI "worried" about His MINORITY STATUS ?? NO..He jsut went on DOING whats RIGHT...and thats what we SIKHS have to learn to DO..and Keep DOING. PERIOD.

TODAY..the Sikh Holy Places like darbar sahib Amrtisar...fategarh sahib...Chamkaur Sahib..Mukat sar sahib,..Hazoor sahib..Patna sahib etc etc are just as JAM PACKED as HARDWAAR was during Guru Nanak jis Time.....BUT IF Guru nanak ji were to be vising these places.....HE would be in the exact same position He was at hardwaar..in a MINORITY !!! STANDING ALONE....FAR AWAY AND OBSERVING ALL THE FAKE SIKHS DOING THE FAKE RITUALS...WASHING THEIR BODIES WHEN ITS THE MIND THAT IS DIRTY....:singhfacepalm::singhfacepalm::singhfacepalm::singhfacepalm::singhfacepalm:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM