• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure Why Did God Give Us Personalities If He Has None Himself?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I don't know about that., I am going to give being on here a try. I have gone the route of the stoic, braving things out for myself most of my life. It doesn't work. Not any more. You have to look behind the books, dogma, etc. I, myself become very resentful when told what to do or think, so I understand where you're coming fron. I will NOT be told what to think in particular. I have come to many conclusions on my own. After being an island unto myself for most of my life, I am finally reaching out to people. You may be too, or you wouldn't still be on here. I don't much care for sappy sentimentalism myself and it particularly annoys me in religions. Did you ever see Bill Maher's Religilous? Very entertaining. But you have to realize that athiests tend to make people who believe in something look stupid. There are all sorts of reasons for believing in something, not just because people need a crutch. It could be as simple as believing in a "First Cause". Well, yest, now science says that isn't true, bla bla bla. There comes a point where they don't know s**t either. I'm certainly not going to wait for them, or Demi-god Stephen Hawking to tell me the secrets of the universe. Let alone solve the puzzle! They don't know, and probably never will. They also tend to make believers seem like they believe in man in a white robe lives in the sky. I think people are beyond that, and it is just to poke fun at others. So, everyone has to find their own way. As for me, I look inward, and think, "is thinking this way really constructive, or making me happy"? If the answer is no, I look elsewhere. I give things a fair trial and if it doesn't work discard it. I will not make scientists or any other human being gods, because they think they know everything. Stick around. You may find this site very helpful. I haven't been on here long, but from what I can see, they seem like a nice bunch of people. Personally I could use some friends!
thinkforyourself ji I was wondering and thought may be you will find the following thread of interest,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/inter...bert-einstein-spirituality-man-atom-bomb.html

Sat Sri Akal.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thinkingforyourself, you are right this maybe wrong site. People here are very quick to put any one down who is not thinking there ways,
Life is very simple but we make it complicated then we try to solve it.
In gurdwaras people are worshing the dead people and worship the idol (book)
One whould try to understand him/ser self. One does not need book or idol.
All the religions want to control people. Religion is needed to begin the journey. It is like child go to school in first grade. He/she have to leave the first grade if he wants to go to 2nd and so one. But most are happy in the first class. They are afraid if they leave the first they will be lost. I say let them be where they r happy.

Who ever understand him self will go far.

seeker3k ji
Here we go around and around and around again.

It is you, who have chosen your own responses to life including life on this forum. Please do not project your own personal reactions on others. It is not a clear-eyed strategy for life. And if you believe you are put down, be assured that many feel put down by you.

It is really insulting of you to say that those who disagree with you are doing more than just disagreeing. And even more insulting to remark that they have no desire to leave the first grade. Do you suppose that you are the principal of the school, and have some special ability to give bad grades to the capabilities and motivations of all the little children? How condescending that is!

Let me also along with many before me remind you that sangats are not worshiping dead people and they are not worshiping a book. You continually make this up and hurl it around like a proof. It is an accusation, and nothing more, and a sign of your rudeness. Also rude and disrespectful is to refer to the Gurusahiban as "dead people" and Guru Granth Sahib as "book." Time now to realize that there are months' worth of your comments just like this one.

Give some thought to my message as I am now speaking for myself and other members who are fed up with these repetitious comments.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Spnadmin Just so you know it is Ambarsaria Ji who keeps giving marks on posts,and I should like to make a formal complain to the presidenti as I usually get given the lowest mark.:mundabhangra:

I know I feel like the guy sitting there, sans smoking, and either Sinner ji or Seeker3k ji coaxing me in their ways. I feel closer to Sinner ji though,

Babuji Dheere Chalna - YouTube

Caring as I am I respond to the suitors as follows,

ek pardesi mera dil legaya..mohammad rafi & asha bhosle - YouTube

........... and all is well that ends well,

Tum Agar Saath Dene Ka Vada Karo (Hamraaz) - YouTube

Sat Sri Akal. lolmundahug

Aug 18, 2008
Staten Island, NY
thinkforyourself ji I was wondering and thought may be you will find the following thread of interest,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/inter...bert-einstein-spirituality-man-atom-bomb.html

Sat Sri Akal.
That was a great thread. Can I move on to other threads even if the postings are older? I don't want to feel like I'm stuck in the same groove on this topic.
The video was interesting as well, having seen that scientist (forgot his name and don't want to go back and lose my thread and train of thought) many a time on the Science channel. Also the following three pages of debate with some very brilliant young guy, forgot his name, but was listed as an athiest. That is a very hard word to pin down. What one may consider to be an athiest, another wouldn't. Depends on what you think god is. Loved the comments on Spinoza too, although he as well as Einstein were determinists. I think Einstein once said that Buddhism could be the religion of the future. I often wonder how much he actually knew about Buddhism. I find it depressing. There IS a self. Even if it's my own.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
thinkforyourself ji you can party on in any thread that you like. Commenting on a very old thread or a new one is your free choice. You can also start your own thread in an appropriate section. Sometimes as simple as "I want to achieve the following to make me happy, any comments!"

You will see a whole bunch of spners swarm around like bees looking for nectar if the subject or thoughts are challenging, interesting and fun.

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: I really liked the quote from Einestein, "I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details".

This to some extent shows humbleness even with superior mind or very developed analytical faculty to show helplessness.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry Haller ji
Well, that explains why you're a Sikh - but not a "Singh".
I must say - I couldn't agree more with your POV (I may 'convert' yet).
I should also point out that, when I read "An Introduction to Sikhism" (sorry, don't recall Ms. Kaurs first name), and I realized that, in this world of misogynistic faiths (women are 'unclean', having cursed us all with Eves 'original sin'), it was a WOMAN expressing such adoration for HER Beautiful Faith - I was entirely IMPRESSED!!!!

JimRinXji,

I was actually born a singh, I just needed some time to learn from all the universities before entering finishing school. I do not believe in conversion myself, I think you find enough that you are in tune with in any concept, and you hold the concept dear enough to live by it, and cherish it, that is sikhism.

Women are held on an equal level with men in Sikhism, which is why I probably keep mistaking them for men

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Quote In gurdwaras people are worshing the dead people and worship the idol (book)One whould try to understand him/ser self. One does not need book or idol.All the religions want to control people.
Seeker Ji I understand if you feel misunderstood,If someone has been quick to put you down ,don't give up on the site ,one or two people don't represent a whole site , it's not the way you see it though ,there might be some isolated ritual practices but most people do get alot out of going to Gurdwara. I feel these days people control religions more than religion controls people ,, I do sometimes too, any site will have issues but it seems 'they' are ok ,except when they close my threads ofcourse ,but we should have these discussions about forum views on another thread ,start one and we can then make corrections to our individual behaviours.

Brotherji,

We all have to suffer deleted or closed threads, I trust Admin enough that the majority of the time, it is to save us from being perceived in a manner that we would not like, and sometimes because we are just being plain silly, and sometimes because we are going off in a direction we should not.

Let admin do their job in peace, it is hard enough as it is mundahug

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Seeker3k ji
I thought I'd made my point that God "created" only the Clear Light part of us, though I'll admit I was unclear that the Universe, and the creatures in it, is more of a 'wind up toy' that's set up to randomly generate lifeforms os all sorts, so that they can Play The Game of Karma, achieve - or fail to achieve - Merit, and thus progress - or fail to progress to a 'Higher Incarnation'.
If, though I'm as poor as can be (as well as afflicted by a Painful Neuropathy, which more than one 'Christian' thinks is Gods Punnishment - of ME - for "Refusing Jesus"; so I can thus Relate to your distrust of any type of Holy Rolling Hypocrites and/or out-n-out FAKERS!!!), and I've NEVER asked anyone for any money (let alone a Rolls Royce; BTW, I LIVE in Portland, OR., and the Fake Maharishi is a Fresh Memory for ALL of us, here.), you chose to discount my own experience, then there's little that I can say to you that'll convince you otherwise.
Believe it or not, however, NO ONE taught me to lay on the grass, to slip into a unique type of state of conciousness while doing breathing exercises (I say Unique, becaue I'd never had it happen before, during "normal" meditation), to feel me Clear Light literally "rip free" from my body, etc., etc..
I was not on Drugs, as some (my former Catholic school chums, for example) would have it; and I was not engaging in Lucid Dreaming - as I know how to do that, and I've NEVER, afterwards, looked in the mirror and discovered that a white streak had 'magically' appeared in my hair.
It wasn't there when I layed down, and - seeing as how I seem to have had the very same experience that the Guru Nanak MUST have been having, when, afterward, he spoke so eloquently of it in the Guru Granth Sahib (.....I saw with eyes, that were not eyes.....I moved on legs, that were not legs.....) - I've always felt that I have NO CHOICE but to assume that it was "Real".
It's that, or "diss" God.
BTW: I have (not to brag) about a 158 IQ, and I'm very well versed in the Sciences - some day I'm going to write about thiese experiences (I've had two) in detail, as God (being "all knowing", etc.) tailored them so as to address my own scientific skepticism.
Ever 'stood (on your 'legs, that are not legs') next to a Chlorophill Molecule, and watched the blue and red photons striking it's little 'eretcor set-like' levers, twirling it's little mechanisms, so that it 'sucks in' the carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen atoms, and fuses them together into a sugar? Ever looked down upon the Galaxy from above, and, when you did, did you happen to notice that it was a "barred spiral" more than a Decade before Astronomers proved this to be the case?
I BELIEVE!

Last edited:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
I find the concept of a personal God quite disturbing. Humans are so destructive so how can we say that we are the image of God?! Ik Oankar has no flaws because it is not a he/she. Chardi Kala is one of the most important concepts in Sikhi and one that dear Mai ji is always reminding me. That is not a personality trait. When I close my eyes and think of God, I visualise a waterfall with a rainbow at its base or the rainforest or an avalanche on a glacier etc. The human ego never ceases to bemuse me!!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
findingmywayji

it is always lovely to agree with you on something, I feel exactly the same way, however I do not think of the creator per se, I think of creation as a tribute to the powers of creator, but think the way creator is described, makes it hugely hard, and almost impossible to think of something that would be within 1% of the truth. My father thinks of an old man with a beard, and that works for him, so each to his/her own, I do not feel it is important to judge another by his/her own interpretation of creator, be it an old man, a waterfall or in my case, nothing, when I think of creator, I think of nothing

Pictures show
1. An angry God
2. The God according to South Park, I know he looks a bit ungodlike but I think that is the point
3.God according to the simpsons
4. The Monty Python God, I dont expect anyone in the US to understand this, its a British thing
5. And lastly God from Bruce Almighty, the film

Attachments

• ANGRY GOD.jpg
    ANGRY GOD.jpg
    27.6 KB · Reads: 1,084
  • creator1.jpg
    creator1.jpg
    9 KB · Reads: 319
  • God.jpg
    God.jpg
    58 KB · Reads: 314
  • God.png
    God.png
    362.2 KB · Reads: 448
  • MorganFreeman.jpg
    MorganFreeman.jpg
    32.5 KB · Reads: 412

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Harry Haller ji, you do realize that with the following image you are giving all, the creator, nuclear powers and people who believe in heaven after death ideas Eh!

6202d1317222173-why-did-god-give-us.jpg

Each can act as follows with different personality traits as we humans understand these,

• Creator - Anger so send an astroid our way as a virtual hammer
  • Nuclear power old leadership blowing up the joint after having their kicks
  • All religious people who want to go to heaven quickly and need death as a token will rationalize the death of human species
Oh I forgot these are so called personality traits of humans and creator just lets it be :interestedmunda: and cannot be defined by any personality traits applicable or devised by humans. So why should creator have a personality defineable by us and not the monkeys, the Lions, the worms, the fish, the birds and all life. We should have a conference call with all life to sort this out when everyone is avaialable lol.

Sat Sri Akal.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
It is hard to describe. Focus on God all time. Talk with Guru to know God's qualities. Break all ties with selfishness and ego. Think about God and sing His Praises. Step by step work on bringing about God's qualities within you, till you are totally absorbed into God.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
excellent question brother, err sister, uhm seeker3kji well, anyway its an excellent question, and one I would very interested in debating myself why do you not start a thread, as this one is about personalities, and it is important we do not dilute the thread or sidetrack peacesignkaur

Aug 18, 2008
Staten Island, NY
findingmywayji

4. The Monty Python God, I dont expect anyone in the US to understand this, its a British thing

I understand it - That's why I was howling with laughter! I was just mentioning that part in the movie to my daughter the other day, where God comes through the clouds and is calling Arthur. I am a huge fan of Britcoms.
My daughter takes a theology course at college. She is finding it very interesting, never being forced to go to church and allowed to find and make up her own mind about such things.
Anyway, those pictures were hysterically funny, and really gave me a laugh that I need at this particular time. Had to put my dog to sleep after 15 years. Maybe he is in Doggie Heaven whizzing on fire hydrants and chasing cats.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Kanwaljit Singh ji some comments,

It is hard to describe. Focus on God all time. Talk with Guru to know God's qualities. Break all ties with selfishness and ego. Think about God and sing His Praises.

Step by step work on bringing about God's qualities within you, till you are totally absorbed into God.

Brother don't worry you will be absorbed into God (creation) regardless of your preparation. If God/creator left this merging task with humans there will be the following piles mighty high,

• People trying to be like God/crator getting ready to merge but never becoming the creator and hence failing in merging
  • A pile where atheists don't even want to recognize creator/creation as synergistic formation out of humans control and description
  • People of the book who don't want to merge but want to change houses (go to Heaven icecreammunda), described as a pretty cool place and no sacrifice is big enough even getting brain-washed and blowing yourself with a suicide belt
  • People of the book who will be raised out of the pile and resurrected so they are not interested in merging with God/creator of non-believers
  • All people condemned by people of the book in a huge pile as being classified as non-believers, infidels, etc., not worthy of any consideration including merging or contacting creator as they want the book or the prophet to take you there
Bottomline: Merging stuff is not the end goal nor Sikhism as it only is a self realizing falsehood.

Hence that is not the end goal.

Live and be happy with the most understanding you can develop and a practical living that ensues.

Sat Sri Akal.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Brother don't worry you will be absorbed into God (creation) regarless of your preparation. If God/creator left this merging task with humans there will be the following piles mighty high.

That is probably true. But just having this belief would make me relax and lose focus. So I will stick to the belief that my actions can make things bad for me.

And how Gurbani talks about merging:

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥

ਇਕੁ ਤਿਲੁ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਵੀਸਰੈ ਰੋਗੁ ਵਡਾ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
Forgetting the Beloved, even for a moment, the mind is afflicted with terrible diseases.

ਕਿਉ ਦਰਗਹ ਪਤਿ ਪਾਈਐ ਜਾ ਹਰਿ ਨ ਵਸੈ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
How can honor be attained in His Court, if the Lord does not dwell in the mind?

ਗੁਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਅਗਨਿ ਮਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਮਾਹਿ ॥੧॥
Meeting with the Guru, peace is found. The fire is extinguished in His Glorious Praises. ||1||

ਮਨ ਰੇ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਸਾਰਿ ॥
O mind, enshrine the Praises of the Lord, day and night.

ਜਿਨ ਖਿਨੁ ਪਲੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਵੀਸਰੈ ਤੇ ਜਨ ਵਿਰਲੇ ਸੰਸਾਰਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
One who does not forget the Naam, for a moment or even an instant-how rare is such a person in this world! ||1||Pause||

ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲਾਈਐ ਸੁਰਤੀ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ॥
When one's light merges into the Light, and one's intuitive consciousness is joined with the Intuitive Consciousness

ਹਿੰਸਾ ਹਉਮੈ ਗਤੁ ਗਏ ਨਾਹੀ ਸਹਸਾ ਸੋਗੁ ॥
Then one's cruel and violent instincts and egotism depart, and skepticism and sorrow are taken away.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਿਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਮਨਿ ਵਸੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਮੇਲੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ॥੨॥
The Lord abides within the mind of the Gurmukh, who merges in the Lord's Union, through the Guru. ||2||

ਕਾਇਆ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਜੇ ਕਰੀ ਭੋਗੇ ਭੋਗਣਹਾਰੁ ॥
If I surrender my body like a bride, the Enjoyer will enjoy me.

ਤਿਸੁ ਸਿਉ ਨੇਹੁ ਨ ਕੀਜਈ ਜੋ ਦੀਸੈ ਚਲਣਹਾਰੁ ॥
Do not make love with one who is just a passing show.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਵਹਿ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੇਜ ਭਤਾਰੁ ॥੩॥
The Gurmukh is ravished like the pure and happy bride on the Bed of God, her Husband. ||3||

ਚਾਰੇ ਅਗਨਿ ਨਿਵਾਰਿ ਮਰੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਲੁ ਪਾਇ ॥
The Gurmukh puts out the four fires, with the Water of the Lord's Name.

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਕਮਲੁ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸਿਆ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਭਰਿਆ ਅਘਾਇ ॥
The lotus blossoms deep within the heart, and filled with Ambrosial Nectar, one is satisfied.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਗੁਰੁ ਮੀਤੁ ਕਰਿ ਸਚੁ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਦਰਗਹ ਜਾਇ ॥੪॥੨੦॥
O Nanak, make the True Guru your friend; going to His Court, you shall obtain the True Lord. ||4||20||

----------------------------------

The other thing is 'Nanak SatGur Meet Kar, Sach Paveh, Dargeh Jaye'.

We go to Court of the True Lord, have His Darshan. For me, this Darshan has to be only thing missing in my life. The missing piece of puzzle. A very important end goal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: