• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Is The Present Guru Of The Sikhs?

Who is the Present Guru of Sikhs?

• Total voters

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
You have completely misunderstood my question.

Let me clarify
If Amrit(how you described it) is contained in bani then why are we wasting time with sweetened water(khande bata da amrit, water + sugar)? :(

Your question shows that you haven't got the meaning of "Amrit" used in above Guru Vaak because it has nothing to do with "sweetened water" you are stuck with.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I beleive That Guru granth sahib is the only Guru of sikhs
But on the other hand panth khalsa is also very important if not equally.
We can't consult Guru granth sahib for timely problems we need some one in body to take decision at that time .So it is the duty of panth khalsa to take decision which should be
accepted by entire sikh community of that time.Other wise we will have millions of people interpretting Guru granth sahib to suit their agenda

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Amrit is sanctified Holy water, it is administered by a Gianni and has a prayer chanted over it. A concoction of sugared water undergone a similar process is a ceremonial symbolism. If your inference is that Sikhs are worshipping a false deity, then it is a baseless one without foundation. Yes we have Sangat s and committees’ but none to stand as Godhead for the Adi Granth or Sikh faith. Yes many ruthlessly ambitious persons would dearly love to highlight their lucrative careers and positions of power with the sanctity and great power of a religious mantle. Yet we find few such noble souls in the halls of government, religion or society of such irreducible grandeur in Spiritual form.

Yes in this age of Kalyug the only public figures of renown are those who strive for power than are exalted by merit, it is true. A sign of the times, looking back historically since time started and creation came into being there was always One who had power, and another who enviously coveted it, it is the hellish nature of human existence. Sikhs sought to overcome this eternal cycle of the blind leading the despairing, by determining a mormonist stance of application of pure wisdom than a search for idols and Icons, who by nature of being human are fallible and liable to be corrupted, and if aren’t, are tormented and scandalised. It is alas the nature of the beast that is life. Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the eternal living truth, and each Sikh a leading eternal light of the great flame. God is creator, father, so and eternal child. He is in all things as all that is pure and good is He.

Satnam Waheguru ....

Jun 1, 2008
If I remember correctly it was you who first posted lines from Dasam Granth.

Sat shri akal,:D
bhagat singh ji,:inca:
I know that these lines r in dasam granth;) but that is not the only source. i dont remember exactly:crazy: but this shabad is included in some other written work :}:):.

~~Gurukripa~~

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
addoo2 ji ,
first of all plz dont bring dasam granth in between. it is debatable who was its author.and i hold that my Guru was not its author.:yes:
so for me the following lines hav no use ---:u):

these lines sound like gospels:p

and after that--

i hav simply translated a shabad :whisling:-
and now a question from my side -the truth changes if all the mens of world dont accept it ???:{-:)is there a need for polls over this issue?????::cool::
~~Gurukripa~~
Then why would you say that to someone who presented quotes from Dasam Granth?
BTW Dasam Granth itself is not one source.

You've shown me that I really do not have a slow understanding when it comes to you.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

btw do u hav any personal enmity with singh ji or saint soldier??????:shock:
seems like your understanding of the forums is quite slow. There can't be any personal enmity when it comes to forums.

will u plz end this antagonism.:}:):
What do you mean? and Why am I being targeted??

Again, nice way to escape from a tight situation.:D

stocksmgm

SPNer
Sep 22, 2006
Panj Piyare has the vested power of Takhat which is our political chair of sikhs or khalsa Panth and do have the living authority to pass orders. Guru is a Teacher and will not undertake that role. If we familiarize ourself with the sikh history we can clearly understand the fundametal difference. Badal is no body to base our argument on. It has been the weekness of our Panth to allow a person like him to run our Takhat, it should be otherway around. {Badshah sab vas kar dine, amrit naam mahan ras peeneh...} So again our Guru is Guru Granth Sahib) and our supreme political power is Takhat as a chair and Panj Piyare is the cabinet in today's language.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Guru Teachings are constitution of Sikh religion, the Khalsa is to protect it with exemplary living according to the Guru Teachings to guide the masses in case they go estray. Above all, still is the Guru, Sree Guru Granth Sahib Ji who enables the followers to understand if Khalsa is real or in disguise.:yes:

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Sat Shri Akal ji.

What ever is mentioned in these lines are eternal and true. Let other prople who has life on thier disposal to learn what is mentioned with great belief. The the light will come.
Faith is the most essntial part of one 's chracter. People who has difficuties in believing themselve wiil alway be among those people to critisize thier GIru's Shabad.
Jaspai

addoo2 ji ,
first of all plz dont bring dasam granth in between. it is debatable who was its author.and i hold that my Guru was not its author.:yes:
so for me the following lines hav no use ---:u):

these lines sound like gospels:p

and after that--

i hav simply translated a shabad :whisling:-
and now a question from my side -the truth changes if all the mens of world dont accept it ???:{-:)is there a need for polls over this issue?????::cool::
~~Gurukripa~~

Jun 1, 2008
Sat Shri Akal ji.

What ever is mentioned in these lines are eternal and true. Let other prople who has life on thier disposal to learn what is mentioned with great belief. The the light will come.
Faith is the most essntial part of one 's chracter. People who has difficuties in believing themselve wiil alway be among those people to critisize thier GIru's Shabad.
Jaspai

dear jaspi ji let me appreciate the way u hav pointed out me. :shifty:
The first question hav u ever read dasam granth?? it is the worst scripture and similar to kamasutra:eek: . why dont u sing those love making stories as shabads :}--}:??if i could do this i would hav burned all its copies:}--}:.how can u even imagine such a great man like Guru nanak writing all that stuff?:confused:
the second thing is that u hav criticized my beliefs .why so???:{-:)

btw i apologize:roll: if i hav broken the forum rule of not abusing any sikh scripture:p and im ready for the consequences :yes::p

~~sainty~~
~~wald Guru nanak~~

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Saint_Soldier ji

You have suggested that you have not disrespected any Sikh Scripture by comparing the Dasam Granth to love songs, kamasutra, "worst scripture." And you say you are ready for the consequences if some believe that you have shown disrespect. This tells me, just one person, that you have already figured that your words could be taken as disrespect, and that some forum members might be insulted by this or even out-raged. :)

Here are some questions to ponder:

1. Are your comments relevant to the thread topic Who Is the Present Guru of Sikhs?

2. Some takhts and many Sikhs, even within Singhsaba, consider Dasam Granth the work of Nanak X. This is not just the opinion of sects within Sikhi like Nihangs. Why should they not be irritated by your words?

3. Some sects like Nihangs give equal importance to Dasam Granth even though this is not mainstream belief. Nihangs are Sikhs and as such deserve at minimum that we avoid smearing their beliefs with negative opinions. Dasam Granth devotees can sometimes be fanatics and therefore difficult to converse with. Is this always true? No, it is not, because sometimes they are very level-headed people. Should they not be addressed in a level-headed way/

4. The SGPC has tasked scholars who know what they are talking about to evaluate original birs to see if they were written by the 10th Master. This is a mature and unemotional approach to the subject -- a rare occurrence for SGPC -- and this needs to be taken seriously. IMHO. At some point this controversy will be unraveled and it will be resolved. I can wait. Can you?

5. Many of the prayers that you and I say are part of the Dasam Granth. No need to list them. You know which ones they are. In light of that fact, why bring Dasam Granth controversies up in this particular thread?

6. Only a fraction of the Bani of the 10th Master contains sexual content. In fact only parts of some sections are thus. Most of it does not. If that part of the Bani was written by someone other than the 10th Master, then it eventually will be discovered. So why the challenge to another forum member over a small part of the Bani when the rest of it is very spiritual material?

7. Could it be that the small part that does have sexual content should be read on another level as metaphor and not taken so literally? In other words, can we detach from our emotionality from time to time?

So at this time, no deletions are in order. But we can do better. If the thread goes off course then deletions will happen. More important is that everyone understand that unlike other forums, SPN has not taken a position of the Bani of the 10th Master. SPN permits debate. That means in turn that everyone has to find their dignity and discuss the issues of Dasam Granth instead of instigating arguments out of context. So please think about what I have asked above
. :)

Jun 1, 2008
aad0002 ji,
my post was a reply to the post of jaspi ji
one can only disrespected something that deserves respect:yes:

1. Are your comments relevant to the thread topic Who Is the Present Guru of Sikhs?
sorry but i hav just replied to the post of jaspi ji

2. Some takhts and many Sikhs, even within Singhsaba, consider Dasam Granth the work of Nanak X. This is not just the opinion of sects within Sikhi like Nihangs. Why should they not be irritated by your words?

3. Some sects like Nihangs give equal importance to Dasam Granth even though this is not mainstream belief. Nihangs are
Sikhs and as such deserve at minimum that we avoid smearing their beliefs with negative opinions. Dasam Granth devotees can sometimes be fanatics and therefore difficult to converse with. Is this always true? No, it is not, because sometimes they are very level-headed people. Should they not be addressed in a level-headed way/

4. The SGPC has tasked scholars who know what they are talking about to evaluate original birs to see if they were written by the 10th Master. This is a mature and unemotional approach to the subject -- a rare occurrence for SGPC -- and this needs to be taken seriously. IMHO. At some point this controversy will be unraveled and it will be resolved. I can wait. Can you?

5. Many of the prayers that you and I say are part of the Dasam Granth. No need to list them. You know which ones they are. In light of that fact, why bring Dasam Granth controversies up in this particular thread?

6. Only a fraction of the Bani of the 10th Master contains sexual content. In fact only parts of some sections are thus. Most of it does not. If that part of the Bani was written by someone other than the 10th Master, then it eventually will be discovered. So why the challenge to another forum member over a small part of the Bani when the rest of it is very spiritual material?

7. Could it be that the small part that does have sexual content should be read on another level as metaphor and not taken so literally? In other words, can we detach from our emotionality from time to time?

So at this time, no deletions are in order. But we can do better. If the thread goes off course then deletions will happen. More important is that everyone understand that unlike other forums, SPN has not taken a position of the Bani of the 10th Master. SPN permits debate. That means in turn that everyone has to find their dignity and discuss the issues of Dasam Granth instead of instigating arguments out of context. So please think about what I have asked above
. :)

oh god ur teaching me?:mad:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: