• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Is The Present Guru Of The Sikhs?

Who is the Present Guru of Sikhs?

• Total voters

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Sat shri akal,:D
what i think is that Shri Guru Granth Sahib and Panth Khalsa is collectively the present sikh Guru :yes:. After the line of corporeal gurus was brought to an end by Guru Gobind Singh, the Khalsa Panth was installed its own leader under the abiding guidance of Guru Granth Sahib and guru ji himself was a member of khalsa panth.:yes: This may be cleared by the following lines by Guru gobind singh ji :yes: --
The Khalsa is my own special form
Within the Khalsa I’ll ever abide,
The Khalsa is the life of my life;
The Khalsa is the breath of my breath.
The Khalsa is my worshipful lord.
The Khalsa is my saintly kinght.
--Guru Nanak(the 10th)
This from Dasam Granth, you hypocrite.

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK

Truth is Absolute. Truth does not change. Mans thinking changes according to his transient needs and whims, fashions and fads. Truth is Absolute and Immortal. All men have their personal truth, relative to the collective social truth. It is when they assimilate and align all three planes of truth as one they accomplish victory and success in life. Success is a dignified reconciliation with the world about you by understanding or submitting of will, or of gaining god consciousness, or universal truth, giving man an intuitive reasoning and gods eye view of his world in all its myriad of forms and colours. There are many facts of life as little streams and rivulets leading to the one immense ocean of wisdom containing many pearls. He who cognises, quantifies all truth to one concise definition worthy and attributable to all, he has found Wahegurus Spirit, Love and Truth ...

Absolute Truth comes to some, and for others is it is an adventure, a journey of study upon a path travelled by many writers of great philosophies, where those who have reached the end gain a golden silence and rarely are found preaching.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Truth is Absolute. Truth does not change. Mans thinking changes according to his transient needs and whims, fashions and fads. Truth is Absolute and Immortal. All men have their personal truth, relative to the collective social truth. It is when they assimilate and align all three planes of truth as one they accomplish victory and success in life. ...
What a wonderful post, that is completely related to the topic at hand! :}:):

The absolute truth is the the thread is about the Guru of Sikhs and not about absolute Truth.:D

Archived_Member5

(previously jeetijohal, account deactivated at her
Mar 13, 2006
London, UK
Absolute Truth is Peace. From stilling the mind and gaining a golden awakened deep peace, man is released from his mortal being, and his Spirit becomes one with the universal energy force. Jiwan Mukti*.

From this sublime and ethereal peace is born Love. God is Love, Truth and Peace. Truly Blessed are they who are in receipt of all three powers, and gain their Swarg here on Earth.

The many paths of truth seeking are a passage to the great Absolute Truth that Is God Consciousness. Transcendentalism. Ascetism. Jiwan Mukti.

Enjoy lifes journey and adventure, bad days, and good times all teach a lesson, and diminish with the gaining of empirical understanding.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
haha, so who is the present Guru of Sikhs?
Is it
a. Guru Granth Sahib
b. Panth Khalsa
C. all of the above

Explain.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
[FONT=verdana,arial,comic sans ms]To quote Bhatt Vahi Talauda Parganah Jind: "Guru Gobind Singh, the Tenth Master, son of Guru Teg Bahadur, grandson of Guru Hargobind, great-grandson of Guru Arjan, of the family of Guru Ram Das Surajbansi, Gosal clan, Sodhi Khatri, resident of Anandpur, parganah Kahlur, now at Nanded, in the Godavari country in the Deccan, asked Bhai Daya Singh, on Wednesday, 7 October 1708, to fetch Sri Granth Sahib. In obedience to his orders, Daya Singh brought Sri Granth Sahib. The Guru placed before it five pice and a coconut and bowed his head before it. He said to the sangat, "It is my commandment: Own Sri Granthji in my place. He who so acknowledges it will obtain his reward. The Guru will rescue him. Know this as the truth".[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,arial,comic sans ms] Guru Gobind Singh thus passed on the succession with due ceremony to the Holy Book, the Guru Granth Sahib, ending the line of personal Gurus. "The Guru's spirit," he said, "will henceforth be in the Granth and the Khalsa. Where the Granth is with any five Sikhs representing the Khalsa, there will the Guru be." The Word enshrined in the Holy Book was always revered by the Gurus as well as by their disciples as of Divine origin. The Guru was the revealer of the Word. One day the Word was to take the place of the Guru. The inevitable came to pass when Guru Gobind Singh declared the Guru Granth Sahib as his successor. It was only through the Word that the Guruship could be made everlasting. The Word as contained in the Guru Granth Sahib was henceforth, and for all time to come to be the Guru for the Sikhs.[/FONT]

Sikh Gurus

Oct 8, 2008
quote=satwant;90139]Sab Sikhan ko hukam hai guru maniyo granth.

the above is self explanatory. does it clarify your doubts about who is the guru?

sadhsangat ji ,
gurfateh .
COULD ANY BODY QUOTE US THE PAGE AND SALOKA OF AAD GRANTH JI , WHERE ANYBODY HAS READ ABOVE DOHA ? < DO`NT FORGET THAT THIS IS MAIN THESIS OF AKALI SCHOOL OF THOUGHT REGARDING AAD GRANTH AS GURU >
SARBJIT SINGH
TORONTO

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
quote=satwant;90139]Sab Sikhan ko hukam hai guru maniyo granth.

the above is self explanatory. does it clarify your doubts about who is the guru?

sadhsangat ji ,
gurfateh .
COULD ANY BODY QUOTE US THE PAGE AND SALOKA OF AAD GRANTH JI , WHERE ANYBODY HAS READ ABOVE DOHA ? < DO`NT FORGET THAT THIS IS MAIN THESIS OF AKALI SCHOOL OF THOUGHT REGARDING AAD GRANTH AS GURU >
SARBJIT SINGH
TORONTO

Certainly it is not in Sree Guru Granth Sahib Ji but here is a quote that it self appoints Sree Guru Granth Sahib Ji as Guru of the Sikhs after the departure of Tenth Nanak. None is left to represent Guru Nanak but Sree Guru Granth Saib, all others are below it. A Sikh can interpret Guru teachings and become guide but neverever can reach to the level of Guru Nanak.
ਪੰਨਾ 982, ਸਤਰ 10
ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਬਾਣੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਾਰੇ ॥
बाणी गुरू गुरू है बाणी विचि बाणी अम्रितु सारे ॥
Baṇī gurū gurū hai baṇī vicẖ baṇī amriṯ sāre.
The Word, the Bani is Guru, and Guru is the Bani. Within the Bani, the Ambrosial Nectar is contained.
ਮਃ 4

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sorry Bhagat Ji, your sarcasm and irony was entirely lost on me, I apologise, forgive me....

Jeeti Johal.

On behalf of respected forum member jeetijohal and others (like me). Sometimes we have to be careful with the use of sarcasm. I am sometimes an offender in this regard. And I apologize. It is important to recognize that on the internet all a reader has to work with are the words in a post. Tone of voice, facial expression, gestures and all the other things that tell us that a person is being sarcastic, or facetious, or ironic, and so forth -- these clues are not there. So misunderstanding comes into a discussion. Maybe when we are doing this we should indicate that. The emoticons we have don't cover the range so perhaps we have to be creative. Thank you

Also, please vote! There is a poll at the top of the page.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Sat shri Akal ji.

The living Guru for al sikhs is Shabads. Guru Granth Sahib JI is full of Shabads left by our Gurus and final staement made by Shri Guru Gobind Singh ji to accpet the Guru Granth Sahib Ji as your Guru.

So there is always will be like that forever.

Jaspi.

This question was raised by SPN members while taking Quizzes on Sikhism about: who is the present Guru of Sikhs? Are Guru Granth Sahib Ji and Panth Khalsa collective Guru of Sikhs? Intellectuals may put light on the issue in full length.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Certainly it is not in Sree Guru Granth Sahib Ji but here is a quote that it self appoints Sree Guru Granth Sahib Ji as Guru of the Sikhs after the departure of Tenth Nanak. None is left to represent Guru Nanak but Sree Guru Granth Saib, all others are below it. A Sikh can interpret Guru teachings and become guide but neverever can reach to the level of Guru Nanak.
ਪੰਨਾ 982, ਸਤਰ 10
ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਬਾਣੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਾਰੇ ॥
बाणी गुरू गुरू है बाणी विचि बाणी अम्रितु सारे ॥
Baṇī gurū gurū hai baṇī vicẖ baṇī amriṯ sāre.
The Word, the Bani is Guru, and Guru is the Bani. Within the Bani, the Ambrosial Nectar is contained.
ਮਃ 4
If amrit is contained in bani then why are we wasting time with sweetened water? :(

Jul 8, 2007
Calgary
Um okay. This is a very weird thread. Should there reall be any doubt as to who the Guru of the Siks is? I mean it comes up in ardaas everyday. As Guru Gobind Singh was getting ready to leave this world he said:

"Subh sikhn ko hukam hei guru maneo granth. guru granth jee maneo pargut gura kee deh jo prubh ko milbu chaha koj shaabad mei lay."

The Khalsa isn't the GURU. It's just Guru Gobind Singh Ji's roop. (Form) The Guru Granth is the true Guru because the Khalsa bows to Guru Granth Ji. Also the Guru Granth Saahib is what the Khalsa follows. With out it and the baani inside, there wouldn't be a proper Khalsa.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
If amrit is contained in bani then why are we wasting time with sweetened water? :(

It is very sad to read a comment like this about Gurbani from a young Sikh.
Amrit is not here used as sweetened things; it is all about the ecstasy one goes in after experience HIM through Gurbani. Who have spiritual experience they have expressed it with many words we ordinary individuals play with like children. Limits of understanding limit the scope of every beautiful experience described.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
It is very sad to read a comment like this about Gurbani from a young Sikh.
Amrit is not here used as sweetened things; it is all about the ecstasy one goes in after experience HIM through Gurbani. Who have spiritual experience they have expressed it with many words we ordinary individuals play with like children. Limits of understanding limit the scope of every beautiful experience described.
You have completely misunderstood my question.

Let me clarify
If Amrit(how you described it) is contained in bani then why are we wasting time with sweetened water(khande bata da amrit, water + sugar)? :(

Jul 8, 2007
Calgary
okkay. simple. amirt has the POWER of bani inside it. because when we prepare amrit five bania are read while the arit is being stirred. that "energy" from reading the bani travels into the amrit and then that amrit is like the physical form of that bani.

also, admit it. few people in this world ever read bani just because they want to. when you take amrit, you are committing yourself to walking down guru's path. YOU ARE MAKING A PROMISE TO GURU GOBIND SINGH. This promise includes following the rehat which he told us to follow, which includes reading bani daily. Now this next part has been PROVEN:
the more and longer you read bani, the more you begin to understand it. few of us younger folk can understand what bani is saying and some older folk know what the words mean but they do not understand thier significance. The more an more you read bani the more you understand what it means and just how helpful it is to you. NOW this bani becomes the amrit for you because reading it and understanding it and applying it to your life purify you and MAKE YOU A BETTER PERSON. but only once you can understand it. but you can only understand it if you read it often. and lets face it no one does anything iin this world unless the WANT to or they HAVE to. when we take amrit we HAVE to read bani everyday because no one wants to break a promise to the Guru. this more or less forces us to begin understanding bani and seeing ourselve what kind of amrit it is.

seriously amrit is complicated and it doesn't just have to be "sweetened water' don't thiink of it that way. It degrades the whole point of it. (mentioned above)

wjk wjf

p.s i hope i haven't said anything wrong. i am an ignorant fool.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM