• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Does Meditation Mean To You?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
well, there you go................you do have your own definitions !
However, gurbani doesn't say anything about your word 'mumbling'......but it does say a lot about 'sift salaah'

I'm not gonna judge how or where you have bettered yourself, or overcome some degrees of your 5 thieves. If your closed mind of avoiding mumbling has helped you, then that's good for you....keep it up

But in my case, the sift salaah has helped me conquer large chunks of my own 5 vices.. So, I have no other desire but to further my pursuit.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
'm not gonna judge how or where you have bettered yourself, or overcome some degrees of your 5 thieves. If your closed mind of avoiding mumbling has helped you, then that's good for you....keep it up

No, the sad thing is that I was closer 2 years ago, now they work for me, its not ideal, but its better than me working for them!

The mumbling does keep them at bay during the mumbling, no doubt about that, its what happens when the mumbling is over.
But in my case, the sift salaah has helped me conquer large chunks of my own 5 vices.. So, I have no other desire but to further my pursuit.

hey good for you, and I mean that, all this thread was trying to do was share in exact detail what you do and how it works!

now I understand pakhandi, you think I am trying to convert you? others? to my way?

please do not be ridiculous, my path is for madmen only. However, there are so many words with so many meanings, all I am doing is playing devils advocate, nothing more, nothing less.

good to see you again

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
well, there you go................you do have your own definitions !
However, gurbani doesn't say anything about your word 'mumbling'......but it does say a lot about 'sift salaah'

I'm not gonna judge how or where you have bettered yourself, or overcome some degrees of your 5 thieves. If your closed mind of avoiding mumbling has helped you, then that's good for you....keep it up

Lucky ji,

Guru Fateh,

Would you be kind enough to elaborate what you understand by the phrase 'sift salaah'?

Could you also quote the whole shabads from the SGGS to make us understand what you mean when you use 'sift salaah'?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Lucky ji,

Guru Fateh,

Would you be kind enough to elaborate what you understand by the phrase 'sift salaah'?

Could you also quote the whole shabads from the SGGS to make us understand what you mean when you use 'sift salaah'?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

I understand it as it is done in practice = 'praise'
Pauri 25 Japji.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Harry Ji,

myself, Lucky Ji or anyone doing naam japna have no interest anymore in trying to make you understand or believe or buy into the idea of this Seva called Simran.

every time it is mentioned you ask us what we mean by naam japna, meditation, simran etc etc...
after all the past topics on the subject and all the 'going back and forth' with explanations and trying to explain, you are still asking the same question...

For what purpose are you asking the question over and over? is it so that we say something you can then use to bash us with? are you trying to convince yourself? is it because what we say doesn't go inline with your view of sikhi?

the person drinking a glass or Orange juice doesn't need to keep trying to convince another person that it is Sweet and Tangy....it is up to the other person to pick up the glass and try it for him/herself.

We are already tasting the juice...its sweet...very sweet...come and join us if you want to :)

if you want clarification, no amount of explanations of Simran and the journey within will make it clear to you...the only way you will be clear as to the taste of Juice...is to drink it..

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
I understand it as it is done in practice = 'praise'
Pauri 25 Japji.
But Luckysingh jee as per gurmat 'sifat salah' stands for 'ਸਿਫਤਿ ਸਾਲਾਹਣੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਰਜਾਈ ॥ ਸੋ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਜੋ ਤੁਧੁ ਭਾਈ ॥ ਸੋਈ ਜਪੁ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਜੀਉ ਭਾਵੈ ਭਾਣੈ ਪੂਰ ਗਿਆਨਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥ to praise is to follow laws of nature which is the will of God and will of God is to emulate His virtues and then transmit same to our sensory organs. Just understanding is not enough.

N30S1NGH

SPNer
Mar 25, 2015
Sikhi is middle path(not one extreme nor another) emphasis on meditation-dhian but more importantly focus on effortless/spontaneous meditation/awakening (sehaj dhian) so one does not get caught up in meditation with effort and turns that into dogma. But that does not mean meditation with effort is discouraged or rejected. In fact, for most of us with effort stages comes the stage sikhi talks sehaj dhian with ultimate stage- sehaj nirvikalpa samadhi* (spontaneous unbroken effortless thoughtless meditation)

Here is indication- by blocking mental noise in our head- conditioned mind/its thoughts. We enter the stage of just listening intuitively/awareness from that stage- one's surti(consciousness/intuitive awareness) gets drawn drawn to sehaj dhian- shabad resonance/awareness/shabad gyan-intuitive divine knowledge

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਲਾਗੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥

Suṇi▫ai lāgai sahj ḏẖi▫ān.
By Listening-intuitively one spontaneously starts to meditate/contemplate deeply.

*ਜਬ ਨਿਰਗੁਨ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਹਜ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ जब निरगुन प्रभ सहज सुभाइ ॥ Jab nirgun parabẖ sahj subẖā▫e.
When God was without attributes, in absolute poise,

ਤਬ ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਿਤੁ ਠਾਇ ॥ तब सिव सकति कहहु कितु ठाइ ॥
Ŧab siv sakaṯ kahhu kiṯ ṯẖā▫e. then where was mind and where was matter - where was Shiva and Shakti?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Sikhi is middle path(not one extreme nor another) emphasis on meditation-dhian but more importantly focus on effortless/spontaneous meditation/awakening (sehaj dhian) so one does not get caught up in meditation with effort and turns that into dogma. But that does not mean meditation with effort is discouraged or rejected. In fact, for most of us with effort stages comes the stage sikhi talks sehaj dhian with ultimate stage- sehaj nirvikalpa samadhi* (spontaneous unbroken effortless thoughtless meditation)

Here is indication- by blocking mental noise in our head- conditioned mind/its thoughts. We enter the stage of just listening intuitively/awareness from that stage- one's surti(consciousness/intuitive awareness) gets drawn drawn to sehaj dhian- shabad resonance/awareness/shabad gyan-intuitive divine knowledge

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਲਾਗੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥

Suṇi▫ai lāgai sahj ḏẖi▫ān.
By Listening-intuitively one spontaneously starts to meditate/contemplate deeply.

*ਜਬ ਨਿਰਗੁਨ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਹਜ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ जब निरगुन प्रभ सहज सुभाइ ॥ Jab nirgun parabẖ sahj subẖā▫e.
When God was without attributes, in absolute poise,

ਤਬ ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤਿ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਿਤੁ ਠਾਇ ॥ तब सिव सकति कहहु कितु ठाइ ॥
Ŧab siv sakaṯ kahhu kiṯ ṯẖā▫e. then where was mind and where was matter - where was Shiva and Shakti?

this is a duplicate post that you also posted on a different thread, is there an agenda here?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
but while we are on the subject, you seem to posting random lines from the SGGS, this is no way to make a point, you seem quite educated and intelligent, why would you quote random lines to make a point when you clearly know that each shabad needs to be understood in its entirety rather than interesting soundbites. If we are playing the one line to prove everything game, then we must give up fish for a start, although no doubt, some probably have..

N30S1NGH

SPNer
Mar 25, 2015
I was just sharing what meditation means to me based on my limited understanding on sikh theology. Both threads were quite similiar to me as i have same thoughts about it.

but while we are on the subject, you seem to posting random lines from the SGGS, this is no way to make a point, you seem quite educated and intelligent, why would you quote random lines to make a point when you clearly know that each shabad needs to be understood in its entirety rather than interesting soundbites. If we are playing the one line to prove everything game, then we must give up fish for a start, although no doubt, some probably have..

According to my understanding, this is not random lines from sggs there is deep framework behind it, especially in japji sahib where -sunaie and manan pauari are broken down into sunaie (just listening) intuitively inner divine guidance and manan (contemplating and applying).

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM