• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
"Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. Look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true. Think only of the best, work only for the best,and expect only the best. Forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future. Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others. Live in the faith that the whole world is on your side so long as you are true to the best that is in you!"

- Christian D. Larson

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013

Philosophy is a game for people who are not thirsty. Religion is the journey of those who are thirsty. Therefore philosophy plays with words; not so religion. Religion takes cognizance of the hints the words give and follows them. When the quest is for the lake, what can the word lake do? When the search is for life, the word life alone sounds hollow.
Let us understand a little about a profound question facing the philosopher. A tourist comes to India and he is given a map of India. What is the relationship between India and the map? If the map is the same as India then it must be as vast. If it is exactly like India, it would be useless, because you couldn't carry it in your car, much less put it in your pocket. If it is not like India, how can it still be useful?
The map is a symbol. It is not like India and yet by means of its lines, it conveys useful information about India. You may roam the whole of India without ever seeing a map of India. Wherever you go you will find India; the map is nowhere to be seen. But if you have the map with you and understand it and use it, the journey will be made easier. By either keeping the map in your pocket, or by looking at the map and never leaving your room, you will not learn a great deal. Both together make for the fullest understanding of the experience.
~~ taken from one of the extract from OSHO's teachings

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
ਪਉੜੀ ॥
Pauree:
ਨਾ ਤੂ ਆਵਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਘਿਣਾਵਣੇ ॥
No one can bring You under control, by despising the world.
ਨਾ ਤੂ ਆਵਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਬੇਦ ਪੜਾਵਣੇ ॥
No one can bring You under control, by studying the Vedas.
ਨਾ ਤੂ ਆਵਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਈਐ ॥
No one can bring You under control, by bathing at the holy places.
ਨਾ ਤੂ ਆਵਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਧਰਤੀ ਧਾਈਐ ॥
No one can bring You under control, by wandering all over the world.
ਨਾ ਤੂ ਆਵਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਕਿਤੈ ਸਿਆਣਪੈ ॥
No one can bring You under control, by any clever tricks.
ਨਾ ਤੂ ਆਵਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਬਹੁਤਾ ਦਾਨੁ ਦੇ ॥
No one can bring You under control, by giving huge donations to charities.
ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਤੇਰੈ ਵਸਿ ਅਗਮ ਅਗੋਚਰਾ ॥
Everyone is under Your power, O inaccessible, unfathomable Lord.
ਤੂ ਭਗਤਾ ਕੈ ਵਸਿ ਭਗਤਾ ਤਾਣੁ ਤੇਰਾ ॥੧੦॥
You are under the control of Your devotees; You are the strength of Your devotees.

Jan 6, 2005
SMILE OF THE DAY !

482382_10151320072182100_269529385_n.jpg

Jan 6, 2005
This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gujri on Pannaa 524 :

ਪਉੜੀ ॥
ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਦਾਤਾਰੁ ਮਨੋਰਥ ਪੂਰਿਆ ॥
ਇਛ ਪੁੰਨੀ ਮਨਿ ਆਸ ਗਏ ਵਿਸੂਰਿਆ ॥
ਪਾਇਆ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਭਾਲਦਾ ॥
ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਘਾਲਦਾ ॥
ਸੂਖ ਸਹਜ ਆਨੰਦ ਵੁਠੇ ਤਿਤੁ ਘਰਿ ॥
ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣ ਰਹੇ ਜਨਮੁ ਨ ਤਹਾ ਮਰਿ ॥
ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਇਕੁ ਇਕੁ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਾਇਆ ॥
ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥੨੧॥੧॥੨॥ ਸੁਧੁ {ਪੰਨਾ 524}

Pauree:

Meditating, meditating in remembrance of the Great Giver, one's heart's desires are fulfilled.
The hopes and desires of the mind are realized, and sorrows are forgotten.
The treasure of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is obtained; I have searched for it for so long.
My light is merged into the Light, and my labors are over.
I abide in that house of peace, poise and bliss.
My comings and goings have ended - there is no birth or death there.
The Master and the servant have become one, with no sense of separation.
By Guru's Grace, Nanak is absorbed in the True Lord. ||21||1||2||Sudh||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I knew that I recognized it from somewhere!

SAJAN RE JHOOT MAT BOLO KHUDA K PASS JANA HAI YouTube3 - YouTube

I found an English translation for the song.

Tag line is: Sweetheart, don't tell lies
Because eventually, you'll have to show your face before God

Sweetheart, don't tell lies
Because eventually, you'll have to show your face before God
There are no elephant or horse carriages up there
You can only walk there
Don't tell lies sweetheart....

You may have big palaces now,
But you will have to leave those here
Why do you bother to hold up your ego in pride
When you eventually will have to bow your head
Sweetheart, don't tell lies; you will eventually have to face God.

If you are good, then you will be rewarded.
If you are bad, then bad will come back to you.
What's the point in keeping track of these matters now
When you have to eventually pay your dues
Sweetheart, don't tell lies; you will be facing God someday

I spent my childhood playing
My youth was spent sleeping
And old age saw this and cried
That this is the same old story
Sweetheart, don't tell lies; you will have to come before God some day.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2005
HOW THEY CATCH MONKEYS IN INDIA

Monkey-hunters use a box with an opening at the top, big enough for the monkey to slide its hand in. Inside the box are nuts. The monkey grabs the nuts and now its hand becomes a fist. The monkey tries to get its hand out but the opening is big enough for the hand to slide in, but too small for the fist to come out. Now the monkey has a choice, either to let go off the nuts and be free forever or hang on to the nuts and get caught. Guess what it picks every time? You guessed it. He hangs on to the nuts and gets caught.

We are no different from monkeys. We all hang on to some nuts that keep us from going forward in life. We keep rationalizing by saying, "I cannot do this because . . ." and whatever comes after "because" are the nuts that we are hanging on to which are holding us back. Successful people don't rationalize. Two things determine if a person will be a success: reasons and results.

Reasons don't count while results do... 

- http://great-motivational-stories.blogspot.ca/2008/04/how-they-catch-monkeys-in-india.html

Jan 6, 2005
"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours." - Ayn Rand

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: