• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Short-hair Ban On Gurudwara Marriages

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Is this ban true or actual fiction. I haven't heard about it!

Has anyone else?

Maybe this was an attempt to rouse our anger for no reason?

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
i find this whole topic so funny...

people trying to show one-upmanship, ( apologies for harsh words) chest beating like gorillas.... trying to boost their ego by telling others that they are wrong..

this is just the trap SGGS warns all of us about..

i had good time and a hearty laugh reading this post..

my two cents

to me there is one God and only one God Akal Purakh, and whom i can only reach through meditation of the Name and purity of thoughts, simple living and showing love and concern for all...

rest all is moh Maya, Bharam jaal and dikhawa ( showoff)

if union with God was attained through dips in some holy water..the Fishes would have been the first ones,

similarly if keeping long hair was like a visa stamp before the union....billions would be in hell by now.... u know what i mean to say...

meditate on the etheral Name, and immerse your self into it...and you will find the Truth, for Akal Purakh is as much mine as it is your...and SGGS is a Guru to the whole world..and no rule on this whole earth can stop a student from taking vows in front of the Guru...

btw.. all the rehats etc are not mentioned ANYWHERE in the SGGS, my Guru...

Last edited:

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
Discrimination breeds isolation. Isolation breeds contempt.

Discrimination, isolation and contempt have no place in Sikkh philosophy.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
:advocate:

i find this whole topic so funny...

people trying to show one-upmanship, ( apologies for harsh words) chest beating like gorillas.... trying to boost their ego by telling others that they are wrong..

this is just the trap SGGS warns all of us about..

i had good time and a hearty laugh reading this post..

my two cents

to me there is one God and only one God Akal Purakh, and whom i can only reach through meditation of the Name and purity of thoughts, simple living and showing love and concern for all...

rest all is moh Maya, Bharam jaal and dikhawa ( showoff)

if union with God was attained through dips in some holy water..the Fishes would have been the first ones,

similarly if keeping long hair was like a visa stamp before the union....billions would be in hell by now.... u know what i mean to say...

meditate on the etheral Name, and immerse your self into it...and you will find the Truth, for Akal Purakh is as much mine as it is your...and SGGS is a Guru to the whole world..and no rule on this whole earth can stop a student from taking vows in front of the Guru...

btw.. all the rehats etc are not mentioned ANYWHERE in the SGGS, my Guru...

LearningGuy

SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
What if someone wasn't a Sikh and his hair was short, and then he decided that he would become a Sikh, and he took the vow of 5 Ks (but his hair was still short), and he decides to get married.

His hair would be short even though he vowed from that point on he wouldn't cut it, wouldn't it be reasonable for him to be able to get married even though his hair hadn't grown to long lengths.

Jul 10, 2006
Is this ban true or actual fiction. I haven't heard about it!

Has anyone else?

Maybe this was an attempt to rouse our anger for no reason?

FICTION
is more like it. There is NO BAN anywhere.!

Never heard of such a ridiculous statement.!!!!

Dont forget dalsingh, this is the same person who posted the "Quran - To All Sikh Students".

Can you spot a trouble maker or what?

"rouse our anger for no reason" Ya To right!!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
the news is true.the ban is imposed by cgpc in jamshedpur

The Telegraph - Calcutta : Jharkhand
Gurdwaraban on short-hair marriage
PARVINDER BHATIA

Jamshedpur, March 13: Buoyed by the success of the ban imposed on jeans-clad women from entering the Gurudwara premises, the Central Gurudwara Prabhandhak Committee (CGPC) here has decided to ban Sikhs with trimmed hair from getting married at gurudwaras.

According to CGPC officials, the step has been taken to uphold the religious customs of the community. They said the decision was taken after consulting senior members of the community. CGPC has written to the heads of 23 Gurudwara prabandhak committees in the city to implement the decision.

It has also warned the committees of strict action if they were found flouting the orders. ?The holy books have some directives on hair in our religion but it is sad that people, especially the youths, are shaving their beards and heads and disowning the sacred beliefs. It is essential to create an awareness among them,? said Sardar Shailendar Singh, a senior official of the CGPC.

Members, men or women, with trimmed hair will not be allowed to perform ?Anand Kharaj? (a religious marriage ceremony) on the Gurudwara premises. Senior CGPC vice-president Harbhajan Singh said the decision would work as a pressure tactic on youths so that they will learn to respect their hair.

?Hair is the identity of a Sikh but it is sad that trimming of hair has become a sort of fashion among youths. We have to made them realise the importance of our beliefs. The ban will also serve an eye opener for parents,? he said.

Singh, who is also the president of Sonari Gurudwara Prabhandhak Committee said the Gurudwaras have already started implementing the decision. However, the decision taken by the central body is set to snowball into a controversy as some members have started voicing their protest.

?The decision is unjustified. At a time when other religions are becoming liberal, how can the religious heads of our community be so rigid? We would protest the decision,? said Avatar Singh Nagi, a resident of Baridih. However, Sardar Shailendra Singh, president of CGPC, said only a small section of people was against are protesting the decision and they are ready to face any type of challenge.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
So instead of trying to bring them back in they are discarding them..........

This, I feel, is a perfect example of a d**khead decision from so called leaders...

Shabaash!

Who are the CGPC anyway, I've never heard of them?

TanuRani

SPNer
Jun 5, 2006
What im wondering is that ban is forcing a belief that can really come with deep love of God. I believe ppl have to go through their own journey to find themselves and become sikhs...b/c of the society we live in today, religion is not the utmost importance to ppl...they are busy in the worldly success...so forcing these ppl to do somethin for religion is not going to evoke their love for god...i believe it has to be through their failures...when they would realize God to be the destiny..but that will be a long long time from now...

supersurd

SPNer
Nov 2, 2006
Here in Bangkok, the ban is only on Sundays.....
the girls are all trimming cutting waxing, the works.....but men are trimming but if they remove their turbans and there is no hair then the sunday wedding is off and you can marry any other weekday.......
So to put things in perspective.......smoke drink gamble do drugs but without the long hair, you are less of a Sikh man.....but men who keep their hair can cheat in business, can smoke in pubs and bars besides drink there and they can sleep around as much as possible, they will be privilged because they keep longer hair....not that I cut my hair...its just that Sikhism is all about being tolerant and here we have bigots who try to isolate our religion from the rest of the world....

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
If this ban is indeed true, then it is very sad news.

Having the honour of getting married in front of the Guru Granth Sahib - a text that contains the passage "when you are in love with the One God, duality and alienation depart...you may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald", and promotes the inclusion of all human beings under God regardless of caste, creed, culture, race, political orientation or religion - should not be the sole right of people who choose not to go to the barbers.

This is discrimination of the highest order; a favouritism based on what the gyanis prefer (i.e. people who dress and do things as they do things), and discrimination has no place in the Sikkh community.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
Here in Bangkok, the ban is only on Sundays.....
the girls are all trimming cutting waxing, the works.....but men are trimming but if they remove their turbans and there is no hair then the sunday wedding is off and you can marry any other weekday.......
So to put things in perspective.......smoke drink gamble do drugs but without the long hair, you are less of a Sikh man.....but men who keep their hair can cheat in business, can smoke in pubs and bars besides drink there and they can sleep around as much as possible, they will be privilged because they keep longer hair....not that I cut my hair...its just that Sikhism is all about being tolerant and here we have bigots who try to isolate our religion from the rest of the world....

Precisely.

Just because people choose not to cut their hair, it doesn't make them a good or bad person. It is their actions that define a human being, and not how they dress (as it stated in the Granth, I believe).

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
and those nitwit gayanis think thay can stop ppl frm getting married???

ROFL

well what is the difference between them and the priests in temples who donot allow sudras or even women to enter..

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
and those nitwit gayanis think thay can stop ppl frm getting married???

ROFL

well what is the difference between them and the priests in temples who donot allow sudras or even women to enter..

There are none.

Tragic is the day when Sikkhs turn into Hindus.

"The greatest enemy will always hide in the last place you would ever look."

Nov 6, 2006
Re: "Short-hair" Ban on Gurdwara Marriages

In my humble opinion the Akal Takhat should issue a hukamnama in this respect, this is the only way I think people would be encouraged to stop cutting their hair....

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006

In my humble opinion the Akal Takhat should issue a hukamnama in this respect, this is the only way I think people would be encouraged to stop cutting their hair....

Why shouldn't people be entitled to cut their hair?

msghael

SPNer
Sep 24, 2006
Kolkata, India

Alright, now I have a little time on my hands, I shall post my views.

I am in favor of this ban.

It promotes something which should have been promoted long ago, the core of a Sikh. It defines what a Sikh is and should be or gives atleast a base for the definition to grow of.

Many people will say how this is discrimination. How is this discrimination if it is a persons choice to keep kesh or not? You can not relate this to the caste system or say how this is blatant discrimination, because the caste system or heritage is something that your BORN with. This is a decision you make in life, to shave or cut your hair. Just like drugs, or smoking.

Some people will also say how the Guru offers his hands to everyone, and this is closing of Sikhism to the "elite". Once again this view is wrong, simply because the Guru is not closing off any relation to the Mona. He is simply saying, I shall help you in your quest, please take this step for me, and I'll help you forever.

The Khalsa Panth has 5 obligatory kakkars that must be maintained before recieving amrit. Why aren't the monay yelling about discrimination there? The Guru set it in stone, that in order to become Khalsa, you must do this and this. He never turned down a mona that came up to him to recieve amrit, but he didn not just give out amrit in masses to the many monay that were running around...He helped them become Khalsa first, in appearance as well as internally, and then gave them amrit to soldify it.

Just as is the case with this ban, the Guru is always there, he will help you first, maintain your kesh, and hopefully cleanse you internally, and then will allow you to perform anand karaj alongside him.

Some may say, why not go after other things that is against Sikhi, such as drugs and alcohol. Now, of course these things are against Sikhi, but they can not be noted unless they are widely used by the person, and if they are, than I fully agree that the Gyani Ji should just get up and leave. But, you see the point here is that, Kesh can be seen everywhere and everytime, hence why this is the base of the ban. Another argument could be that people will not just grow their hair to get married, and then cut it afterwards.

So? People could pull the same tactic off with recieving Amrit. If they choose to make a mockery of the Sikh religion, theres nothing we can really do.

Also, some say this will just push of the Monay more, and the kids will move away from Sikhism. Ok, perhaps thats what we need, the first thing they should learn is that your not a Sikh by birth, its something you become. This ban will soldify that. Perhaps they will learn that to take part and have pride in the history, they must also become what the historic Khalsay were. Maybe it will give them a reality check. All this ban is, is on marriage, it can not drive them away that far. Plus, since marriage takes place usually in the 20's, the kid has 20+ years to learn Sikhism and see if he wants to get married according to its guidelines or not. Why would a 14 year old Mona really care about a marriage law that he most likely won't even be familiar with. By the time he's familiar with the ban, he will already have formed an opinion of Sikhs, Sikhism, and if he wants to practice Sikhi or not. He will know, if he wants to become Sikh or remain secular.

A good move by placing this ban. I think its something we needed in place a long time ago.
You seem to in direct communication with the Guru since you are quoting what the Guru says !!!!
With all this self interpretation of the SGGS you are doing what the Hindu Brahim Pandits were supposed to have been doing and aganst whom Guru Nanak Ji revolted !!!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: