• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Promoting JHATKA

Mar 26, 2006
This was a wise decision aad ji ...i thank you for this ..am highly obliged...

The decision came from decision in leaders and happened rather quickly. Antonia

SRI Akaal Sahaay

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat ji

It is destined for the Trash Can. The post (previouisly #154 has been deleted).

Participants on this thread, please note: I am now moving any post on this thread that is about vegetarianism per se to the Fools Who Wrangle Thread. Sometimes it is hard to determine whether that is where a particular post should go because the dividing line is thin. if you think I made a wrong call, just let me know and I will review my decision.

Please continue the discussion on Jhatka knowing that we are encouraging debate and not abuse. Sat Sri Akaal.

Antonia
I honestly don't remember what I wrote. But if it is has to be deleted then I respect that.

EDIT: OH, I see what you did. Good move!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Now here my update is as follows: A number of posts have been moved.

Some on the forum know that I was hampered by a bad internet connection at the seashore. I am tired of talking about this so don't inquire. However, I did not keep up with this thread as perhaps I should have. When going over the earlier posts, those immediately following the controversial pic of the Nihung beheading a goat, I noticed a lot of strong language and bad spirit. In other words, several of us were not nirbhao nirvair. Those posts are still standing because the tone of most of you participating in the discussion for the most part
did improve after an early warning. Please avoid direct personal insults. Debate the issues not the person. Thanks :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I guess I have to repeat this -- discussions of jhatka will remain in this thread. Discussions of vegetarianism will be moved/have been moved to Fools Who Wrangle Over Flesh and Meat.

Antonia.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<some people want to take this discussion to some utopian bibilical concept of 'Thou shall not kill " >>

thou shall not kill, unless

1. You got a phone call from God to go kick some butt
2. You are reaaaaaaally hungry and KFC is too far
3. the other guy refused to scratch ur back :)
4. You are a comic super hero
5. Your Coffeee machine broke in the morning and You hate being all day without the Ethiopian Blend
6. The target is ur Boss

pls feel free to add :p

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Aad Ji and other mods, please feel free to move my post. :yes:
y do we hav to eat meat at all i dont want to get into any discussion about eating meat or not
Well, you are!
i just want to ask u how many of u are in favour of the way they behead goats there and say its proper........
all non-vegetarians and me! :D

tell me one thing what did guru maharaj say about his khalsa...
khalsa can eat meat if they want to :wink: unless it ritual meat.
i think it includes that a gurus sikh will never oppress someone who is weak..
Do you eat vegetables? How about grains?

BTW cows are stronger than humans.
look at that goat they behead... two people hold its feet and then 1 one kills it how many of u think its human to do it....
ya humans are doing it so its a human thing.
this jhatka can be compared to halal.........
ooh, in what way?
people say our father guru gobind singh ji used to do it.........
sure Why not?
can we think of the time when guru nanak stopped pandits to kill goat when they were preparing for janeu preparations......
I think he was telling them to stop because noone (Guru Nanak) was going to wear the jenaeeo so preparations were pointless.
Guru Nanak cooked meat in kurukshetra during an eclipse.
y would the same father do two different things...
One kills the other cooks then both enjoy! :yes:
kidding.
one more thing i would like to ask u is give it a thought if we say guru gobind singh ji used to do shikaar can we comapre ourselves to him ????
sure, he's a human, you are a human and i am a human. That's one comparison.
we know he was aap parmeshwar.......
uh... ya... :}:):

right! :crazy:
and whatever he did meant something.........
yep!
and moreover according to me if u have love in ur heart u wont kill these innocent animals just for eating them....
Ya its hard eating vegetables too, if you have love for plants. I understand.
ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀਅ ਜੁ ਮਾਰਹਿ ਜੋਰੁ ਕਰਿ ਕਹਤੇ ਹਹਿ ਜੁ ਹਲਾਲੁ ॥
Kabeer, they oppress living beings and kill them, and call it proper.

ਦਫਤਰੁ ਦਈ ਜਬ ਕਾਢਿ ਹੈ ਹੋਇਗਾ ਕਉਨੁ ਹਵਾਲੁ ॥੧੯੯॥
When the Lord calls for their account, what will their condition be? ||199||
ਕਬੀਰ ਜੋਰੁ ਕੀਆ ਸੋ ਜੁਲਮੁ ਹੈ ਲੇਇ ਜਬਾਬੁ ਖੁਦਾਇ ॥
Kabeer, it is tyranny to use force; the Lord shall call you to account.
ਦਫਤਰਿ ਲੇਖਾ ਨੀਕਸੈ ਮਾਰ ਮੁਹੈ ਮੁਹਿ ਖਾਇ ॥੨੦੦॥
When your account is called for, your face and mouth shall be beaten. ||200||
ਕਬੀਰ ਲੇਖਾ ਦੇਨਾ ਸੁਹੇਲਾ ਜਉ ਦਿਲ ਸੂਚੀ ਹੋਇ ॥
Kabeer, it is easy to render your account, if your heart is pure.
ਉਸੁ ਸਾਚੇ ਦੀਬਾਨ ਮਹਿ ਪਲਾ ਨ ਪਕਰੈ ਕੋਇ ॥੨੦੧॥
In the True Court of the Lord, no one will seize you. ||201
very nice quote, a bit out of place though. Well, actually your whole post is a bit out of place. You should discuss it in "Fools who wrangle over flesh" (i think that's the title)
if u want to look at the jhatka video have a lok at you tube u will get it and see how on our gurus name animals are being beheaded which i would call similar to halal there isnt much difference in them.......
Halal is very different. But ya jhatka's cool (this comes from a strict lacto-vegetarian BTW), which is why some people want to promote it.
bhul chuk di maafi
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh..
chalo maaf kita, kidding mate
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Aad Ji and other mods, please feel free to move my post. :yes:

Basically this is how I made the decision "to move" or "not to move" someone's comments. If a comment was essentially about jhatka it was not moved even if the word "vegetable" or "vegetarian" was included somewhere. Same thing when the word "meat" was used. If the word "goat" was used in the context of jhatka, the comment was not moved. However, If a comment was about the spiritual or ethical merits or demerits of eating meat, then the post was moved over to "Fools Who Wrangle."

The examples you cited 2 posts ago were either about jhatka, or goats and jhatka, or about beheading goats, or about Sri Guru Gobind Singh vis a vis the khalsa and goats. So that is why I did not move them. Whew!

Nov 1, 2007
cardiff
That video is one hour long and it starts off with amritdhari singhs not living a good life. at what time can I find the discussion on meat?

have patience veerji ...... akhand path takes 3 days and for understanding guru granth sahib ji even one life is not sufficient......this is video of mere 1 hour but if u listen to it i am sure u will understand what he is trying to say.
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
have patience veerji ...... akhand path takes 3 days and for understanding guru granth sahib ji even one life is not sufficient......this is video of mere 1 hour but if u listen to it i am sure u will understand what he is trying to say.
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
Ive got more important things to do than listen to old babey telling me what to eat.
Thanks anyway! :happy:

Mar 26, 2006
I was searching for rituals related to slaughter ..and have come acorss several muslim and jewish websites like www.muslimconsumergroup.com an educational organization for Muslims about Halal food, and to provide Halal certification ...there have been a strong insistance and presence of information relating to halal and kosher ..to such an extent ..and besides ..location finders ..where they could get halal kosher certified retaurants anywhere in the world !!

So this is the extent to which they can carry their faith ..and here ..we r still limping ..to even anything productive discussed ..forget geting started .. I shall be grateful to Shri Siromani Gurudwara Parbandhak Commitee for making an effort refer to http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_407297,0008.htm

i shall infact paste this info here :
Jhatka vs halal: Sikh body raises meaty issue
Manpreet Randhawa
Jalandhar, October 7

If the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) has its way, all hotels, restaurants and fast-food chains will soon have to carry displays specifying the kind of meat they serve: halal or jhatka.

SGPC honorary secretary Manjit Singh Calcutta has said he would write to the Union government to issue a notification in this regard because the consumption of halal meat is strictly prohibited for Sikhs.

"It is, in fact, one of the cardinal sins for a Sikh to consume halal meat," said Calcutta. "In case a Sikh does so, he has to be re-baptised. Hence, it's important for eating joints to display what meat is served”.

Akal Takht Jathedar Joginder Singh Vedanti has also taken note of the matter and called upon all Sikhs to avoid consuming halal meat.

Arun, an official representing McDonald's here, said the fast-food chain had been using halal meat all over India. "We never knew its consumption was prohibited for Sikhs," he said. "Since the matter has come to our notice now, we have decided to inform our headquarters in the US. Once we receive a direction from them on displaying the kind of meat we serve, it will be done."

J.S. Grover of Nirula's, Delhi, said that most of the non-vegetarian items at their outlets were cut and processed with the help of machines. "Hence, it's difficult to ascertain whether it's halal or jhatka meat," he said. Grover added if the Federation of Hotel and Restaurant Association of India (FHRAI) issued guidelines in this regard, he would abide by it.

FHRAI secretary general Sham Suri said since the SGPC had decided to knock on the Centre's door, the association would await an official notification on the issue. So far, hotels, restaurants and fast-food joints are governed by the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, said Suri.

Meanwhile, the SGPC's stand has already found sympathisers. "In Europe and other countries one gets certified halal and jhatka meat so that nobody's religious sentiments are hurt," says G.S. Lamba, editor, Sant Sipahi magazine. "It is shocking how the industry can be indifferent to the sentiments of Sikhs."

Interestingly, the issue is not a new one. It is learnt that on October 9, 1938, then MLA Sampooran Singh, who was also a member of the SGPC, had moved a resolution in the Punjab assembly that all SGPC members must support the Jhatka Bill.

Ninety-six SGPC members in the House had unanimously supported the resolution.

This is now in our hands ..this is our battle...we need to make a choice ..should we spend time grumbling about photos ..believing small children dont have things to look at and would log into discussion ..hey kids if u reading this ..GET BACK TO YOR HOMEWORK ..!!!:D

Do we want to get to the point or just make all the attempts to take the discussion the other way ?? Its Our choice ...

I am here and feel something positive will come out of this discussion..rather than tantrums !

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM