• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It A Sin For A Sikh To Marry A Non-Sikh?

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Well,

I am totaly agreed with BKaur. We should love our religion and our self, what we are in side a Pure sikh will never change and will respect other religion, But
Getting married with out of religion and telling how our sikh religion is ! it's not fare
It's bad luck, we Sikh change our self and other will never do that
Even in Punjab India, in every house hold you will see a servent, from Bihar and servent will speak hindi and our sikh families I mean punjabi families will talk to them in Hindi not a Punjabi, their children will speak Hindi and they felt so proud.
We, here in Canada, USA or Uk. these countries we have to speak, read and write in english and we have to learn but in India Punjab our sikh family change them self.
That is my point same as when we marry to other religion why we have to change our self why can't we fight our self
I hope I am not offending any one but these are my views
Thank you

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Nim,

In my eyes, it's a sin or not lets ask you a question before I give my answer to you
After Marriege, your children what they will be SIKH or your partner choice, even though you can say a child can decide but the infant can not decide until they are 18yrs old am I right.
What right would you have on your child tell me
we will be loosing a sikh family who wants to convert or share them self to others and their childrens

think before you reply back

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
If a Sikh does not marry another Sikh then that Sikh is making his/her life even more difficult. Sikhism is a way of life that distinguishes its beliefs from other religions. Stop thinking about yourselves here for a minute and take you surrounding into consideration. Parents, friends, siblings, and children will be affected by marrying out of Sikhism. Majority of the religions believe in God, but Sri Guru Granth Sahib is our guide to God. THERE ARE MANY WAYS TO GOD BUT A SIKH NEVER LEAVES THE GURU FOR ANOTHER WAY TO GOD NOR DOES A SIKH TAKE ANOTHER OFF THE PATH OF SIKISM. Remember the Gurus came down to correct other religions from believing in useless things. Sikhism above all, my Gurus word above all, and my head is for the Guru. Listen to the Guru walk on the Sri Guru Granth Sahib path and get rid of you karma.

To some this might be insulting, but to a TrueSikh its being pure.

Reading between the lines in the post above, and the one posted BKaur ji, what I see is more concern for the Sikh faith than with people finding God in there own ways.

So I ask (again) what is so important about the Sikh faith? If there was only one Sikh left in the wolrd why does that matter so much to some people?

Don't get me wrong, I am Sikh, I love being a Sikh, but in all honesty I would rather see an unhappy Sikh change his path to God then forget God altogether.

Also what is it with this assumption that non Sikhs and Sikhs being married will have any sort of problems? I'm married to an antheist, and it looks like both of my children will be atheists also. I'm fine with with this, they will find God or not, as God decrees, not by my will, nor by their will but by God's will.

Reading between the lines in the post above, and the one posted BKaur ji, what I see is more concern for the Sikh faith than with people finding God in there own ways.

Lee ji

My above comment can be defined into one sentence. Sikhism is righteous living and a Sikh puts his/her faith above all.

So I ask (again) what is so important about the Sikh faith? If there was only one Sikh left in the wolrd why does that matter so much to some people?

Lee, you ask what is so important about the Sikh faith? Simple answer read up on what the Gurus did for us, and how they protected the Sikh faith, its followers, and the world. The Gurus gave their lives for Sikhism and today a Sikh wants to marry out of Sikhism. Come on get back into reality here. A true Sikh puts his Guru above all.

Don't get me wrong, I am Sikh, I love being a Sikh, but in all honesty I would rather see an unhappy Sikh change his path to God then forget God altogether.

Lee ji, why would a Sikh be unhappy with Sikhism path to God?

Also what is it with this assumption that non Sikhs and Sikhs being married will have any sort of problems? I'm married to an antheist, and it looks like both of my children will be atheists also. I'm fine with with this, they will find God or not, as God decrees, not by my will, nor by their will but by God's will.

You just proved my point in this paragraph. Problem being an atheist lives in his/her karma. But Sikhs are suppose to be living in Dharma, truthful living. Yes it is at God’s will that all happens, but a Sikh has a choice either live out your karma and go through the cycle of birth and death or live by Dharma. Its really that simple.

BKaur

SPNer
May 19, 2008
Yes I did said, I can not see...............
What I will do, simple, if i was invited to that wedding and I will not attend second if it's up to me or if I think I can talk to those who wants to get marry, I will try my level best to let them aware off what we are why it's very importatnt to get marry Sikh to Sikh
Thats all

Ask the question if you want to listen, understand and act on it

Thank you
:)

BKaur

SPNer
May 19, 2008
Mr. Singh,

Thank you for your reply. I do ask this question my self, if a Sikh got marry to non Sikh what about the kids, look at Mr. Lee, his children will not be Sikh he has given him self and his kids to another Religion.

Thank you

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Lee ji

My above comment can be defined into one sentence. Sikhism is righteous living and a Sikh puts his/her faith above all.

I would have thought that a Sikh puts God above all. Isn't love of ones religion an aspect of egotistical maya? Shouldn't love of God transcend matters of which path to God others may take?

Lee, you ask what is so important about the Sikh faith? Simple answer read up on what the Gurus did for us, and how they protected the Sikh faith, its followers, and the world. The Gurus gave their lives for Sikhism and today a Sikh wants to marry out of Sikhism. Come on get back into reality here. A true Sikh puts his Guru above all.

The Guru's also gave their lives for other religons, and others of other faiths. Ultimatly though theu gave their heads to God.

Please don't misunderstand me, I too love my faith, I just don't see why it is important that every body we come into contact with must be, or become Sikh. Why is it so harmful if my children do not become Sikh, what harm does that actualy do to the Sikh faith?

Lee ji, why would a Sikh be unhappy with Sikhism path to God?

You ask this as if no Sikh ever doubted her or his path, which is blatently untrue. The more important question though is why does it matter if a Sikh and a Muslim marry and each keep their own faith? Surly two loving beings who are each happy in their faith can be happy with each other, I know myself and my wife are.

You just proved my point in this paragraph. Problem being an atheist lives in his/her karma. But Sikhs are suppose to be living in Dharma, truthful living. Yes it is at God’s will that all happens, but a Sikh has a choice either live out your karma and go through the cycle of birth and death or live by Dharma. Its really that simple.

Yes I agree with that, and while it saddens me somewhat that my wife does not share my faith, that is her desicion, and I cannot nor will I not, gainsay that.

The problem I have with this issue is the as yet unanswered question of why.

Why is it important that my wife and I share the same faith? Why is it important that my children are not Sikh? What damage does that do to me, or my faith, or my relationship with God?

God populated this planet with a wonderous verity of peoples and ideas, and paths to reach out for God, and Guru ji has told us that the reaching is important, not the path.

True living. As a Sikh, or a Muslim, or Christian, or a Hindu, or whatever, the path is immaterial, the quest, the end result is what is truely important. Do you disagree?

Ik onkar. God is 1. God is equaly in my wife as God is in me, why should I love my wife any less because she is not Sikh? Indeed how an I love God and not love my wife, that makes no sense to me.

Look around, can you see anywhere where God is not? Can you not love all equaly then irregardless of what faith or even lack of faith they profess?

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Mr. Singh,

Thank you for your reply. I do ask this question my self, if a Sikh got marry to non Sikh what about the kids, look at Mr. Lee, his children will not be Sikh he has given him self and his kids to another Religion.

Thank you

Please Bkuar ji,

Just Lee:)

I have of course given myself to God, that I have done so by the tennants of the Sikh faith matters not, my children are at this moment religionless. So you see both of your statements above are false.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Bkaur ji

Are you up set by my questions? Nothing was personal, I praised your stand but I dont like scaring away people who just happen to disagree with you.You wrote why he/she was on SPN and I added that being on SPN one can have good advice from you and others who love Sikhi. I hope you remain cool, that is an essential for being a Sikh, and I strongly believe you are. I wonder why have you ignored other questions, havent you like them? if so, I am sorry. Peace.

BKaur

SPNer
May 19, 2008
Pk JI
I haven’t ignored any thing.
I never said we should ignored any other culture we should respect any other culture or religion. But we should make sure not to get influence by any of them.
I total agreed with you, we should listen to them help them in any way if some one doesn’t feel good to being a Sikh. I do want to help or listen to them if any one wants to talk or share their feelings on that.
At last but not least, I am not upset but when I read, Mr. Lee he is Sikh but he married to another religion and his children are different and he can not do any thing, we have lost another Sikh family but some how I want to see how we can help them to see what Sikhi is good about and what our Baba ji has done for us

Lets work together

I would have thought that a Sikh puts God above all. Isn't love of ones religion an aspect of egotistical maya? Shouldn't love of God transcend matters of which path to God others may take?

The Sikh faith is the path to God. So when I stated Sikhs put their faith above all, they are putting God above all. When a Sikh is in that state of mind anyone harming or teaching the wrong path about Sikhism will be stopped by a Sikh and that Sikh has stood up for Sikhism. The Sikh that stood up he/she does it for the Guru regardless on what will happen to him/her. so it is not the Sikh’s ego, but the total humbleness to protect Sikhism.

Please don't misunderstand me, I too love my faith, I just don't see why it is important that every body we come into contact with must be, or become Sikh. Why is it so harmful if my children do not become Sikh, what harm does that actualy do to the Sikh faith?

Sikhism teaches about truthful living, why would a Sikh choose any other path or want anyone else to go off this path?

You ask this as if no Sikh ever doubted her or his path, which is blatently untrue. The more important question though is why does it matter if a Sikh and a Muslim marry and each keep their own faith? Surly two loving beings who are each happy in their faith can be happy with each other, I know myself and my wife are.

It harms humanity. Lee ask yourself a question, why did I choose Sikhism and not atheist?

When one doubts his/her path that person is looking and yearning for a deeper understanding about Sikhism. That person is unhappy because of this.

Why is it important that my wife and I share the same faith? Why is it important that my children are not Sikh? What damage does that do to me, or my faith, or my relationship with God?

Sikhs are put on this earth for two reasons: one reach God themselves and two, teach humanity about righteous living.

So all these why questions you asked are answered by those two reasons why Sikhs are here. Lee your job is not done yet. God placed you, your wife, and your children together for a reason. To test you if you can teach Sikhism to the ones around you and help them see the light in the darkness.

If a Sikh marrys a Sikh than the children do not have to go through the hell of not finding the righteous path. Both parents will raise their children from the time they are born to the time the children can think for themselves about Sikhism.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<To test you if you can teach Sikhism to the ones around you and help them see the light in the darkness.>>

is God an Examiner?

<<If a Sikh marrys a Sikh than the children do not have to go through the hell of not finding the righteous path. Both parents will raise their children from the time they are born to the time the children can think for themselves about Sikhism.>>

How can you be SO sure that Sikhism is the ONLY right path?

just curious

SPNer
May 19, 2008
just to change the question a little what if one of the person is sikh and the other holds no religion, is it expected that they will have to take up the others religion or can they stay "neutral" ( iguess its something that will differ between each family but i would like to know what ppl think)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
The Sikh faith is the path to God. So when I stated Sikhs put their faith above all, they are putting God above all. When a Sikh is in that state of mind anyone harming or teaching the wrong path about Sikhism will be stopped by a Sikh and that Sikh has stood up for Sikhism. The Sikh that stood up he/she does it for the Guru regardless on what will happen to him/her. so it is not the Sikh’s ego, but the total humbleness to protect Sikhism.

Singh ji

Very beautiful and inspiring views in context of Sikhism; however, I haven't understood the part of your protection of Sikhism. Do you think by protesting against who are weak and ready to leave Sikhism, is kind of protecting religion?
Amitabh Bachan's mother belonged to Sikhism but she dumped it, Geeta Bali though married Shammi Kapoor but kept her faith alive by having every year "Akhand path" in her Bombay house, all agreed with her and appreciated her efforts. Now do you care about the first one? I dont. For the second, Yes I do.
The one who has real faith are not going any where or compromising for any thing, the weaker will do, so it be; may be better one join Sikhism. Regarding Sikhs girls, they were trapped but didn't they know where they were heading? Alert Information should be posted out there but it still comes down to a person and his/her real love for Guru and his message. Never forget, Guru Nanak also share same views when he says that it is all your ordinance when your Name was Ram now it is Allah. Nothing happens beyond His Hukm. Protecting religion is a totally different thing. Missionaries in Punjab are doing their best to take away Sikhs, Dera Babas doing it on high speed, now what the Sikh organizations are doing for that? Poor are lead to different kind of faith with all kind of influences, what is being done? Shouldn't Youth should get organized and protect against it to wake up Sikh leaders. Religion belongs to those who believe in it, the one who dont, it doesnt matter what they do.

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Gur fateh to All:)

Well, technically, it is a sin for a Sikh to marry a non Sikh . When the Sikh rehat maryada was created (the Sikh way of life), its wasn't just a bunch of random people creating rules out of nowhere. These highly religious and intelligent individuals decided this for a various amount of reasons. When someone does what they think is right for you, do you question them? If a parents tells his child, do not stick your finger in the electrical outlet, he must be telling you for a reason. The child does not know the reason and might think that his dad is scolding him frivolously (sp? sorry), but we know that he or she is doing what is right for his child. Even though we might not be told a reason, the rehat marayada tells us that we should not marry a non-sikh and that should be the end of the discussion.

If we go strictly by GURBANI in SGGS. .there is NO such concept of Paap (Sin) or PUNN ( good deed)

These are Brahimin/Hindu beliefs which have been THRASHED by the Sikh Gurus and the Bhagats who wrote Gurbani.

The Sikh Rehat Maryada is a Document created to Show the
SIKH WAY OF LIFE.....a Code of Conduct...the Constitution of Sikh way of Life...How a Sikh is defined, how he is to live his daily life.. etc .

Just like it is "WRONG" as per Immigration Laws to say enter a country without a valid Passport/Visa...ITS NOT a "SIN" per se...Simiallrly any Sikh who VIOLATES the SRM...has to answer to the "Authorities" as per SRM. .but that is NOT a SIN.

The "Original Sin" is a Christian Concept...in Sikhi everyone is RESPONSIBLE for his own actions and faces the MUSIC for them on his own.. NO ONE ELSE can take responsibility for him ( like Jesus is supposed to do)

Similarly in Gurmatt.. supposedly PUNNS like going to teerath yatras, helping the needy and the sick, donating. .daan, etc etc are just "GOOD HUMAN BEHAVIOUR"..WITHOUT and SPIRITUAL "pay back" as such. In Gurmatt only Naam japp is PAYBACK.

Thus there is neither paap nor punn in Gurmatt

ts2182

SPNer
May 23, 2008
"waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh" {yes this is a sin , if u leaving sikhi and join another dharam} if u not satisfied with my answer I will tell u why ?

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Amansanghera for this answer read up on other religions and you would be able to see if Sikhism is the only right path.

For me it is the ONLY right path.>>

thank you Singh ji

you answered your own point yourself

For "you" sikhism is the ONLY path :)

same way.. for others, whatever is the ONLY way to God :)

as far as reading on other or any religions is considered,

the fragrance of a flower remains as long as it blooms
a plastic flower never has a frangrace, though it might be more radiant :)

singhavn

SPNer
Sep 6, 2007
I don't know if it is a sin or not but if we follow Guru Gobind Singh ji sikhi then we should also follow his 52 HUKUMs which he gave at nanded Hzur sahib "one of which was a sikh father must marry his daughter with a sikh boy".

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: