• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It A Sin For A Sikh To Marry A Non-Sikh?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
None of those impact on one person's individual practice of Sikhism therefore I don't see how it makes it impossible to live with someone who does those things.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
None of those impact on one person's individual practice of Sikhism therefore I don't see how it makes it impossible to live with someone who does those things.

It depends ,for example there are certain Hindu rituals which require Husband and wife to do it together.Also do you think an orthodox sikh man or woman will like to see his/her son going through head shaving ceremony?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I don't think it's a sin necessarily... but why would you want to marry someone who differs in belief in such a big part of your life? Your spiritual / religious beliefs affect you to the core. Its not like you are disagreeing over what colour car to buy. A person's spiritual beliefs are the very core of their being. Spirituality deals with the very question of why we are even here!

So why would you want to marry someone who differs in those core beliefs? I believe marriage is not only physical... it's spiritual as well. You are engaging on a spiritual path with that person so you can both grow on that path together. If that is not there, then marriage becomes just a physical union only, driven by lust and emotion. There would be little room for spirituality and religion in a mixed faith marriage because both people would strive to keep their differences away from each other. Both faiths would suffer in the end.

Then again, if spirituality is not high on someone's list then I guess that's ok for them... It's not for me to dictate to someone their relationship (or lack thereof) with God.

kggr

SPNer
Feb 8, 2011
Amsterdam
I don't think it's a sin necessarily... but why would you want to marry someone who differs in belief in such a big part of your life? Your spiritual / religious beliefs affect you to the core. Its not like you are disagreeing over what colour car to buy. A person's spiritual beliefs are the very core of their being. Spirituality deals with the very question of why we are even here!

So why would you want to marry someone who differs in those core beliefs? I believe marriage is not only physical... it's spiritual as well. You are engaging on a spiritual path with that person so you can both grow on that path together. If that is not there, then marriage becomes just a physical union only, driven by lust and emotion. There would be little room for spirituality and religion in a mixed faith marriage because both people would strive to keep their differences away from each other. Both faiths would suffer in the end.

Then again, if spirituality is not high on someone's list then I guess that's ok for them... It's not for me to dictate to someone their relationship (or lack thereof) with God.

I believe sprituality is something individual.
But yes, marrying someone with the same believe/ideology can help/motivate you to not stray from spiritual path.
But it still will be you, that will have to work on your own spiritual progress.

And I also believe that marriage is a physical union.
Physical union doesn't necessarily mean that it's driven by lust and emotions.
I see marriage more as legit way to procreate.

And I don't think my wife would be more to me then any other human being.

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Spiritual in what way?

One SOUL in two bodies....Gurmatt marriage is NOT a License to have legal LUSTY SEX. Gurmatt marriage is to have the two partners lend each other moral spiritual support to walk along the Gurmatt path..towards the GURU.

This is why mixed religious marriages dont work in Gurmatt..and an ANAND KARAJ is recommended only between SIKHS.

kggr

SPNer
Feb 8, 2011
Amsterdam
One SOUL in two bodies....Gurmatt marriage is NOT a License to have legal LUSTY SEX. Gurmatt marriage is to have the two partners lend each other moral spiritual support to walk along the Gurmatt path..towards the GURU.

This is why mixed religious marriages dont work in Gurmatt..and an ANAND KARAJ is recommended only between SIKHS.

How can there be one soul in two bodies?

kggr

SPNer
Feb 8, 2011
Amsterdam

If one has conquered his/her 5 vices/pleasure/pain.
He/She becomes the very image of god.

But that doesn't mean that your partner has becomes that to.
He/She has to work on his/her own spritual progress himself/herself.

Last edited:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

If one has conquered his/her 5 vices/pleasure/pain.
He/She becomes the very image of god.

But that doesn't mean that your partner has becomes that to.
He/She has to work on his/her own spritual progress himself/herself.

The Anand Karaj ceremony is not a "marriage" in the Christian sense. It's an affirmation that two souls will come together follow the path of a Sikh and enjoin in a union with Akal.

Therefore that is why the Anand Karaj cermenony is taken so seriously and there has been a big deal about it. It's akin to a person taking Amrit and stating he/she will live as a Khalsa Sikh.

kggr

SPNer
Feb 8, 2011
Amsterdam
Randip Singh said:
The Anand Karaj ceremony is not a "marriage" in the Christian sense. It's an affirmation that two souls will come together follow the path of a Sikh and enjoin in a union with Akal.

Therefore that is why the Anand Karaj cermenony is taken so seriously and there has been a big deal about it. It's akin to a person taking Amrit and stating he/she will live as a Khalsa Sikh.

Is it in Sikhism allowed to make that affirmation with multiple people?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
So, do Sikhs believe in souls for the purpose of marriage only, and not at any other time?

Or is this all just a poetic metaphor for two people living one life - two people so thoroughly committed to each other, their life together, and their Guru, that they are practically one person?

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
So, do Sikhs believe in souls for the purpose of marriage only, and not at any other time?

Ishna Ji,

The 'one soul in two bodies' is a very Indian metaphor, in fact it is a product of the late revival movements in Indian society, though probably Gurus were the first to devise it. The early Indian social setup ordained the husband to be on a higher plane in the institution of marriage, this metaphor envisages the marriage as an association of equals; a similar feminist step by the Gurus as the rejection of Sati ritual and of the purdah.

Or is this all just a poetic metaphor for two people living one life - two people so thoroughly committed to each other, their life together, and their Guru, that they are practically one person?

It is a poetic metaphor, and a powerful and revolutionary one at that and you have beautifully interpreted it. We Sikhs are not alien to the concept of Sangat, the spiritual association of the husband and wife, if established, could be a potent catalyst in the spiritual upliftment of a person. But that does not mean IMO they become a single person in practicality. Perhaps we need to read it a little less literally.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM