• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Antonia ji,

Thanks muchly.

Yes, the Sikhnet videos have exactly what I need, I just seem unable to copy them to use. My usual "print screen" and use pain doesn't work. Any suggestions for how to copy them?

I was myself wondering how you could manage that... and maybe other forum readers will chime in here.

One idea is to show the entire video if the school has an internet hookup, projection, and a projection screen; and then pause the video where you want to stay focused. When you teach the lesson then you can upload the video from the interest. I will think about it and ask around.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Mai ji

Went off-line for a while and was thinking about your question. There is a low-tech solution and depends on whether you have any neighbors or friends who have a digital camera.

Ask someone to have an older sib or relative or husband take a picture of her tying her son's jura. The email it to you. You print it out and there you go.

The could also make a video of the process too, and you could use that instead of still shots.

Of course your neighbor or friend has to support the idea, has to have a son, and needs a collaborator to take the pictures. Or it could be a video or picture of an older boy tying his own jura.

Just some brainstorming on my part.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Some good ideas. I am a little cautious of using pictures of a child I know in a blog with "Khalistan " in the title. Adults are OK, as they can make that decision themselves, and pictures roached off the Net are out there in public. (The GoI doesn't like me even a little bit, but that's a topic for another time.)

A digital picture of my screen might be the best solution this time. However, I still want to figure out some way to do it directly from the video; that would be useful in many circumstances. There has to be a reasonably simple way to do it. Youtube is very easy. It's only Windows media and Realplayer that are the problems.

Anyway, watching these videos brings back so many sweet memories of heart-to-heart conversations, "Mommy,don't pull out my sacred kesh!," :whisling:and lots of laughter :rofl!!: . This was a special, although far too short, period of time for me.

Chardi kala! :ice:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Antonia ji - It is hard to find anything about Sandeep that isn't sweet. We were blessed with a perfect child. Of course there was the time he threatened to cut his hair. I think he was five.

Such stories we have of our children, when we take the time to listen to them. Those times of day when I combed (and washed) and tied his kesh are among the happiest. He knew, of course, (children are very perceptive!) that was the time to ask for special favours, treats, wishes. ("Mommy, we need a kitty!") Looking up at me with those big grey eyes...

Here I go again.

Well, he was sweet!

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
If you don't know how to tie a patka, you may also need some help tying a proper jura. Here is a delightful - dare I say adorable - video of exactly how to do that.

I have two suggestions for mata ji:

1. Don't pull the upper ponytail too tight or your hapless son will develop a receding hairline.

2. This can be a very special time for the two of you. First, because he is actually holding still, it's a great time to find out what's on his mind. And second, because you are engaging in an activity that is specifically Sikh, it's a great time for Sikh education. Be creative! We used to sometimes naam-jap together using different melodies.

YouTube - How to tie Zoora for Sikh boys

Chardi kala!

:ice:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada

I came across this poem one day while reading Preeti Kaur ji's blog, The World I Stitch. As I read, I saw pictures of all that our children go through in school, especially in America and I felt the need to illustrate her painfully beautiful poem. She has graciously given me permission to reproduce the poem here. The words are hers; I am to blame for the pictures. (She approves of them, though!)

I would suggest that any children experiencing such problems, go to Khalsa Kids. There is a lot of help there. Parents are welcome, too, of course!

where ever it is dark-- poem for sikh children- REVISED

where ever it is dark (revised, kid-friendly version) 12/7/07
for r. singh (especially) and children everywhere

after school
i tell my mummy
i don't want to go back
tomorrow

she asks me why

i tell her
today in the playground
bullies
push me
punch me
kick me
shout at me
potato head!
raghead!
alladin!
even osama bin laden!
everything i know
i am not

i fight back
throw a fist

imagine the bullies as monsters
call them ugly things too
my cheeks burn
my heart thumps
i am MAD

i didn't start this
i am just one
and no one listens
when i yell
stop it!
leave me alone!
no one helps me
when the bullies
rip the cloth
from my head
pull off
my patka

not even the friends
i swing with
everyday on the monkey-bars
or the kids
who swap sandwiches with me
in the cafeteria
not even the adults
who patrol the playgrounds
to make sure
everyone follows the rules

after
****** noses
bruises
scratches
the teachers sit us down

a peace negotiation
where no one questions
the bullies

why am i a target?

inside
i am like a match
like the ones my daddy warns me not to play with
a blue flame
which grows shorter every second
burning my insides
faster than i expect

i go home
and cry
and cry

i tell my mummy
everything

my mummy
wraps her arms
around my shoulders
tells me she loves me
with her eyes

she unwraps
my joora
lets loose
my long hair
runs her fingers through

mummy whispers
your hair
is like the night sky
your hair
is the universe

she combs my kes
with a kanga
twists my hair firm
on the top of my head
a galaxy you carry high
mummy says

Patka+boy+Galaxy.bmp

she takes the square patka cloth
angles it
like a diamond
sets the patka on my scalp
and ties it tight
mummy tells me
this patka
crowns you

one day
you will wear a turban
cloth as long as the seven oceans
the full span of the earth
will rest on your head

be a brave young prince
like Sahibzaada Zorawar Singh Ji
like Sahibzaada Fateh Singh Ji
when bullies
big as kings
threaten them
for carrying the universe on their heads

like true princes
when bullies
torture them
with three nights
in the cold
in the dark

when everyone wanted them to just be children
they raised their chins high

Sahibzada-young.jpg

no tears
just the ways of the lion prince

lion+khanda.bmp

with questions and conversation
a duty for the kingdom

mummy kisses my cheeks
i kiss her back

i tell her
i will go back to school tomorrow
i will be like a prince
a shooting star

bright and brave
where ever it is cold
where ever it is dark

pk

May 23, 2009
Dear Mai Ji ,
Waheguru Ji Ka khalsa,Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Thanks for sharing this incredibly beautiful poem with the cyber sangat.
Preeti Kaur is blessed indeed to have given such a wonderous form to spontaneous overflow of these powerful emotions.What a bright young poet ! how lovingly she portrays the sikh mother's infusion of the indomitable sikh spirit into her child !the mother,s love and encouragement are able to transform a badly buffetted boy into one ready to face this world head on and continue on his march towards the Truth.

Thanks for your marvellous illustrations.
Respectfully,
Satnam Singh Randhawa

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Gurmit Kaur ji,

Please thank Preeti Kaur for the poem. She is the author. I am just sharing it.

Adventures with the patka! I had only one child, a boy. The time we spent together each day working with his hair was treasured by both of us. It waas our time together, just the two of us, when he could talk about whatever was on his mind. And I could listen. Little kids have all sorts of things going on and are happy to share them, if only we'll listen uncritically. I tried to do a very neat double plait, but was never quite successful.

Keeping the patka on was another story. This was in the early 1970s when long hair on the male of the species was not unusual. His hair were extraordinarily long and shiny and beautiful and he loved to show it off. Whenever he'd come home, hair flying, I knew he had met some new kid and just had to show off. Annoying - and still sweet it its own way - I can still hear him: "It's not just hair. Yours is just hair. Mine is KESH. Very special. Only us Sikhs have it." I'm afraid if I had just tied a knot instead of plaiting it, he'd have had it flowing and open every day!

He started tying turban very young (age 7), so the disappearing patka problem was solved. I did, however, keep helping him with his hair for quite some time.

If I had had a daughter, her hair would have been treated exactly the same way. I am an advocate of our daughters as well as our sons looking like Sikhs.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: