• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Guru And God No Difference

Apr 4, 2007
Bani called Jaap Sahib?
Is this a new kind of bani or something?? i think you mean Jap Ji Sahib, let's stick to Guru Granth Sahib people, no quoting/mentioning Bhai Gurdas or the so called Dasam Granth!

you're joking, right? a "new" bani??? Jaap sahib has been recited every day since Guru Gobind Singh ji created the Khalsa. and you think it's "new"? you think it's not a bani? have you ever read the rehet maryada? sikhs recite it every single morning.

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
I realize I am very new to this. So forgive me if I am interupting the conversation, but I have some questions so I'll attempt to comment, even in my ignorance.

Thank you for your patience.

DHAN DHAN RAM DAS GUR(SHABD FROM SIRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB)

Praise unto Ram Das the Guru,

Is this God? Who is Ram Das? Guru means "Lord", right?

the one who created you, established you.
You are such a miracle! The Creator has installed you on a throne.
Your Sikhs & all conscious people bow to you because you manifest God.

So is this saying praise to the creator of Nanak, who extablished him as the leader of the Sikhs? And then, in the phrase "you manifest God" wouldn't that imply that Nanak is a manifestation of God?

I'm seeing the word manifest as a perceivable evidence of an unperceivable truth, or evidence of a fact. In that case, wouldn't Nanak be the number and God the quantity? The perceivable symbol for an abstract concept?

That would not make the number the actual quantity, but it would make it the symbol we need to help us understand the concept of the quantity, and would help us be able to figure the quantity in equations, such as life?

You are unchanging, unfathomable, immeasurable. Your limit cannot be perceived.

Is this speaking to the immeasurable wisdom of Nanak? Seeing as he has the spark of God and is evidence of God?

Those who serve you with love are carried across the sea of existence.
The 5 obstacles (greed, attachment, lust, anger, ego) cannot exist where you are.
The realm that you rule is the true place.

The realm being the realm of the spirit?

True is your glory.
You are Nanak. Angad and Amar Das the Guru.

What is "Amar"? Is this saying that Nanak is Nanak, but that he is also evidence of God with God residing within him?

Oh, when I recognized you, my soul was completed!

I would understand this to mean that the author experienced a great peace when they came to understand the mystery of how God can live within us and, in the case of Nanak, make himself perceivable to beings who are largely incapable of perceiving anything of the spirit or on the spiritual realm.

?

charan kamal parabh kay nit Dhi-aava-o
[/quote]

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Gur Parmesar Eko Jaan (Katha)

Summer Solstice 1978 - Dhan Dhan Ram Das Guru

rwmklI kI vwr rwie blvMif qQw sqY fUim AwKI (968-9)
raamkalee kee vaar raa-ay balvand tathaa satai doom aakhee
Vaar Of Raamkalee, Uttered By Satta And Balwand The Drummer:

Dhan dhan ram das gur jin syreaa tinai savaari-aa
Pooree ho-ee karaamaat aap sirjanhaarai dhaari-aa
Sikhee atai sangatee paarbrahm kar namaskaari-aa
Atal athaaho atol too(n) tayraa ant na paaraavaari-aa
Jinee too(n) sayvee-aa bhaa-o kar say tudh paar utaari-aa
Lab lobh kaam kridh moho maar kadhay tudh saparvaari-aa
Dhan so tayraa thaan hai sach tayraa paiskaari-aa
Naanaak too(n) lehnaa too(n) hai gur amar too(n) veechaari-aa
Gur dithaa taa(n) man saadhaari-aa

Praise unto Ram Das the Guru, the one who created you, established you.
You are such a miracle! The Creator has installed you on a throne.
Your Sikhs & all conscious people bow to you because you manifest God.
You are unchanging, unfathomable, immeasurable. Your limit cannot be perceived.
Those who serve you with love are carried across the sea of existence.
The 5 obstacles (greed, attachment, lust, anger, ego) cannot exist where you are.
The realm that you rule is the true place. True is your glory.
You are Nanak. Angad and Amar Das the Guru.
Oh, when I recognized you, my soul was completed!

Who were Satta and Balwand ?
Read the sakhi (history of them) and all will become clear. The meanings will be understood better.

Here's what I found about the Authors:-

Satta was a rebeck player who served Guru Angad, Guru Amar Das, Guru Ram Das and Guru Arjun Dev. Along with his fellow musician Balwand they jointly composed a ballad which appears in the Guru Granth.

SATTA, also called because he was a dum or mirãsi by birth, a rabàbi or rebeck­player to Guru Arjan, and cocomposer, with Rãi Balvand, of Rãmkali ki Var, included in the Guru Granth Sãhib in the Rãmkali musical measure.

Further reading:-
Rai Balvand - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
you're joking, right? a "new" bani??? Jaap sahib has been recited every day since Guru Gobind Singh ji created the Khalsa. and you think it's "new"? you think it's not a bani? have you ever read the rehet maryada? sikhs recite it every single morning.
Oh yeah! Guru Gobind Singh JI recited it during the creation of Khalsa! How could I have forgotten that, I was right behind him when he was reciting it! :rolleyes: Silly me! k Jokes aside...

the origin of Jaap sahib leads back to the 18th century, along with the rest of the Granth. So if Guru Gobind Singh ji, recited it, he must have lived for a very long time, which I doubt. Guru Gobind writing the Jaap Sahib is a whole different story. :idea:Assuming that he did write the Jaap Sahib, why would he put it into an anti-feminist Granth.

BTW Sikhs also drink every day. :hmm:

Jul 10, 2006
Re:
10 Gurus in human form = One Guru Jyot(divine light/divine infinite wisdom) = Shabad Guru = Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

"Eka bani, ik gur, eko shabad vichar
There is One Bani; there is One Guru; there is one Shabad to contemplate." (Ang 646 Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji :page 646:SearchGurbani.com ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ )

“The Embodiment of Light, the Lord Himself is called Guru Nanak. From Him, came Guru Angad; His essence was absorbed into the essence.”
(Ang 1408)

For more info on "Shabad" please see a few selected links:

Shabad, Gurbani, Naam: What Is It?
Why and how do Sikhs bow before Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji? | Sikhism101.com | UniversalFaith.net
You were Blocked

For more on "Guru" please see selected links:
Do Sikhs worship the 10 Gurus as God? | Sikhism101.com | UniversalFaith.net
Search Sikhism Home Page - Sikh Gurus

Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji authors Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji :page :SearchGurbani.com ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ

Daanveer

SPNer
Jan 17, 2008
ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਪਾਈਅਨਿ ਜੇ ਦੇਵੈ ਦੇਵਣਹਾਰੁ ॥
gur kirapaa thae paaeean jae dhaevai dhaevanehaar ||
By Guru's Grace, they are obtained, if the Great Giver gives them.

If There Is Guru Kirpa, Only then the truth can be realized. Kaur-1 Ji.

This is so obvios from this thread, whatever one says about the 'Concept of ONE' te opposition party is seriosly engrossed in making a joke of Gurbani.

The reason behind can be many factors:

Theybelong to some anti-sikh propaganda group.

They dont know anything.

They are here to just have some fun.

Some people derive pleasure by irritating others, but here they dont even know what they doing.

God sent Nindaks just for all of us to learn more and strenthen our belief. Us here refers to all who believe in every word of Guru Granth sahib Ji.

Or some other reason:wah:

Waheguru Bhalaa Karei

Apr 4, 2007
Oh yeah! Guru Gobind Singh JI recited it during the creation of Khalsa! How could I have forgotten that, I was right behind him when he was reciting it! :rolleyes: Silly me! k Jokes aside...

the origin of Jaap sahib leads back to the 18th century, along with the rest of the Granth. So if Guru Gobind Singh ji, recited it, he must have lived for a very long time, which I doubt. Guru Gobind writing the Jaap Sahib is a whole different story. :idea:Assuming that he did write the Jaap Sahib, why would he put it into an anti-feminist Granth.

BTW Sikhs also drink every day. :hmm:

you compare the amrit banis to alcohol???

wow. i'm at a loss for words.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
you compare the amrit banis to alcohol???

wow. i'm at a loss for words.
Don't lose your words there, I wasn't comparing SGGS to anything.
i was comparing dasam granth, which is worse than alcohol! No wait... come to think of it.... they are both jsut as bad! :}{}{}:
But let's not discuss its contents here.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Agreed Danveer Ji, I believe that one should follow Gurbani and completely ignore these kind of people, and ask for sarbat da bhalaaa.

ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਪਾਈਅਨਿ ਜੇ ਦੇਵੈ ਦੇਵਣਹਾਰੁ ॥
gur kirapaa thae paaeean jae dhaevai dhaevanehaar ||
By Guru's Grace, they are obtained, if the Great Giver gives them.

If There Is Guru Kirpa, Only then the truth can be realized. Kaur-1 Ji.

This is so obvios from this thread, whatever one says about the 'Concept of ONE' te opposition party is seriosly engrossed in making a joke of Gurbani.

The reason behind can be many factors:

Theybelong to some anti-sikh propaganda group.

They dont know anything.

They are here to just have some fun.

Some people derive pleasure by irritating others, but here they dont even know what they doing.

God sent Nindaks just for all of us to learn more and strenthen our belief. Us here refers to all who believe in every word of Guru Granth sahib Ji.

Or some other reason:wah:

Waheguru Bhalaa Karei

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
please stop insulting my guru. i'm done trying to discuss anything rationally with you.
What do you call rational? take that statement for example, do you consider dasam granth your Guru?? What is rational to you?
I have been asking many questions, and only a few of them get asnwered. I have been trying to make my questions and comments as critical and logical as possible. What else do you want me to do?? Start believing, that someone who calls himself the dust of god's feet is GOD? Is THAT rational??
with that aside..

Some questions I asked , I already knew the asnwers to but I wanted to look at them from a different perspective. I ask for that perspective and I become anti SIkh??? I dont know what you guys would call someone who is anti Sikh?? If an atheist comes to this forum and starts asking questions (BTW mine were very similar to what he/she might ask), how would you guys answer them?? BY calling the person and the questions anti Sikh?? Isn't that Anti Sikh( calling random people anti sikh)? is there a type of question called anti Sikh?? Is calling someone anti Sikh supposed to be some form of discrimination??

Ok so what if anti Sikh comes on the forum! Would this behaviour, make him less anti Sikh? would calling him an anti Sikh make him less anti Sikh??

Apr 4, 2007
What do you call rational? take that statement for example, do you consider dasam granth your Guru??

this is exactly what i'm talking about. you insult Guru Gobind Singh, amrit sanchar, and the nitnem banis and then suggest i said dasam granth is guru. i said no such thing.

you want to know why people don't answer your questions? because they're infused with insults and innuendo and you simply twist the answers into more insult and attacks. it's completely pointless.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Jasleen ji,

Thanks. For a moment there I thought I was an apostate or something. Every day around lunchtime.

The interesting thing about this Bani -- Guru Gobind Singh was humble enough to refuse to have his Bani included in the Adi Granth. He saw that Granth as having a primal significance. Jaap Sahib was written because Sikhs then and now asked to have the nature of God clarified for them. And so this majestic prayer.

Apr 4, 2007
Jasleen ji,

Thanks. For a moment there I thought I was an apostate or something. Every day around lunchtime.

The interesting thing about this Bani -- Guru Gobind Singh was humble enough to refuse to have his Bani included in the Adi Granth. He saw that Granth as having a primal significance. Jaap Sahib was written because Sikhs then and now asked to have the nature of God clarified for them. And so this majestic prayer.

agreed, i absolutely love this bani, it's so incredibly meditative, simple and yet so deep. :)

i'm pretty sure that the majority of people who do not accept dasam granth still accept the nitnem banis as the words of Guru sahib. that's why i was so surprised.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Caroline ji

You may not be as confused as you pretend to be. You questions may be a little Socratic. Encouraging us to reflect and define our terms?

Is this God? Who is Ram Das? Guru means "Lord", right? So is this saying praise to the creator of Nanak, who extablished him as the leader of the Sikhs?

God is being praised. Nanak is not the leader of the
Sikhs, but the one who started us on a new spiritual path

And then, in the phrase "you manifest God" wouldn't that imply that Nanak is a manifestation of God?

Nanaak carries the jyote or Light of Divine Truth. We are all manifestations of God because God in in His Creation. God is also greater than His Creation. Please read Jaap Sahib.

I'm seeing the word manifest as a perceivable evidence of an unperceivable truth, or evidence of a fact. In that case, wouldn't Nanak be the number and God the quantity? The perceivable symbol for an abstract concept?

No

That would not make the number the actual quantity, but it would make it the symbol we need to help us understand the concept of the quantity, and would help us be able to figure the quantity in equations, such as life?

Too analytical

Is this speaking to the immeasurable wisdom of Nanak? Seeing as he has the spark of God and is evidence of God?

As above

What is "Amar"? Is this saying that Nanak is Nanak, but that he is also evidence of God with God residing within him?

The jyote was passed from Guru to Guru until Guru Gobind Singh. Nanak was the first Guru. The first 3 gurus were Nanaak, Angad and Amar Das. In this line Amar is a reference to Ram Das, who is the 4th Guru and the 4th to receive the jyote.

Ang 130
ਅਮਰਦਾਸ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਕਹਾਯੋ ॥ ਸਾਧਨਿ ਲਖਾ ਮੂੜ੍ਹ ਨਹਿ ਪਾਯੋ ॥੯॥
Amardaas Raamdaas kahaayo|| Saadhan(i) lakhaa moo?h nah(i) paayo||9||
Amar Das was called Ram Das, only the saints know it and the fools did not.

I would understand this to mean that the author experienced a great peace when they came to understand the mystery of how God can live within us and, in the case of Nanak, make himself perceivable to beings

This is one way of explaining the line.

who are largely incapable of perceiving anything of the spirit or on the spiritual realm.

We are not incapable. We just don't realize how capable we are.[/COLOR]

Caroline ji,

You have a voice. We are hearing you. In a friendly way I am asking you if you would make your font a little smaller now -- your comments will be easier to read. ]

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
Sorry about the font. I quoted the post before me and it repeated the font. :)

Thanks for listening. I am truly a bit confused, but somewhat Socratic as well. For myself mostly.

I was born and raised in Christianity which is suddenly seeming very linear! And so I am used to thinking of the Trinitarian concept of God as three but all in One. First of all, I don't know the terminology here and so I'm at a disadvantage, but I am truly trying to understand this concept of Guru and God as one, but also not as one because God is only One.

I'm also starting to see that a person could read the Sikh scriptures for their entire life and still be as challenged as I feel right now. And to tell the truth, that's exciting to me because I have been in a box for a long time.

The idea of the one light being passed down through 10 Gurus is also very strange to me. It's all a new way of thinking.

One thing I've noticed about religions that claim to be monotheisms is that none seem to be. Christianity claims monotheism and yet they worship what they call a triune God with Jesus and the Holy Spirit as parts of God. Islam claims to be the only true monotheism and yet a person cannot become a Muslim without declaring allegiance to God AND Mohammad and very rarely are prayers sent up to God only. Thus Mohammad is worshipped as well, even though Muslims will deny this.

That is the main reason I am trying to understand the concept of Guru and God being one. Because I am wondering if Sikhism is similar to the other religions that claim to be monotheistic and yet seem to have other entities equal or part of God.

I don't mean to offend anybody with this question. I hope you can see how this would appear to me?

It seems as though, once again, I have found a monotheistic religion that declares one God but has also joined a human being with God as part of God.

Again, thank you for hearing me.

Apr 4, 2007
from a christian perspective, one might compare the jot, or light of God, with the concept of the holy spirit.

That is the main reason I am trying to understand the concept of Guru and God being one. Because I am wondering if Sikhism is similar to the other religions that claim to be monotheistic and yet seem to have other entities equal or part of God.

I don't mean to offend anybody with this question. I hope you can see how this would appear to me?

It seems as though, once again, I have found a monotheistic religion that declares one God but has also joined a human being with God as part of God.

i think sikhism is completely monotheistic. however, as God is everywhere, is everything, we're encouraged to try to see the God living in every person. this doesn't mean we worship people. :) we only worship the One Formless God (Akaal Purakh).

from a judeo- christian perspective it's really hard to explain. it makes more sense if you're familiar with the dharmic religions (hinduism, buddhism, etc).

Guru says, "sabh gobind hai, sabh gobind hai, gobind bin nahi koi"

which means: God is everything, God is everything, without God there is nothing.

i hope this makes some kind of sense. :)

Last edited:

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
jb lau nhI Bwg illwr audY qb lau BRmqy iPrqy bhu DwXau ]
kil Gor smudR mY bUfq Qy kbhU imit hY nhI ry pCuqwXau ]
qqu ibcwru XhY mQurw jg qwrn kau Avqwru bnwXau ]
jp´au ijn@ Arjun dyv gurU iPir sMkt join grB n AwXau ]6](1409)

As long as the destiny written upon my forehead was not activated, I wandered around lost, running in all directions.
I was drowning in the horrible world-ocean of this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, and my remorse would never have ended.
O Mat'huraa, consider this essential truth: to save the world, the Lord incarnated Himself.
Whoever meditates on Guru Arjun Dayv, shall not have to pass through the painful womb of reincarnation ever again. ||6||

kil smudR Bey rUp pRgit hir nwm auDwrnu ]
bsih sMq ijsu irdY duK dwirdR invwrnu ]
inrml ByK Apwr qwsu ibnu Avru n koeI ]
mn bc ijin jwixAau BXau iqh smsir soeI ]
Drin ggn nv KMf mih joiq sÍrUpI rihE Bir ]
Bin mQurw kCu Bydu nhI guru Arjunu prqK´ hir ]7]19](1409)

In the ocean of this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the Lord's Name has been revealed in the Form of Guru Arjun, to save the world.
Pain and poverty are taken away from that person, within whose heart the Saint abides.
He is the Pure, Immaculate Form of the Infinite Lord; except for Him, there is no other at all.
Whoever knows Him in thought, word and deed, becomes just like Him.
He is totally pervading the earth, the sky and the nine regions of the planet. He is the Embodiment of the Light of God.
So speaks Mat'huraa: there is no difference between God and Guru; Guru Arjun is the Personification of the Lord Himself. ||7||19||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Caroline ji

Sorry about the font. I quoted the post before me and it repeated the font. :)

Thanks for listening. I am truly a bit confused, but somewhat Socratic as well. For myself mostly.

If you don't ask questions and understand what confuses you -- well you won't learn. So good.

I was born and raised in Christianity which is suddenly seeming very linear! And so I am used to thinking of the Trinitarian concept of God as three but all in One. First of all, I don't know the terminology here and so I'm at a disadvantage, but I am truly trying to understand this concept of Guru and God as one, but also not as one because God is only One.

Guru means the Light that dispels Darkness. The jyote is the light. The Darkness is ignorance coming from our experience of being psychologically stuck in Maya - mistaking our perceptions as truth, our mistaking our ignorance for knowledge of the truth. The closest you can come to this in Christianity would be found in the writings of Christian mystics - you might want to look at the book "The Cloud of Unknowing."

The Satgur is beyond time and beyond material experience, and beyond number if you will, so the idea of 3 in 1 doesn't really translate.

I'm also starting to see that a person could read the Sikh scriptures for their entire life and still be as challenged as I feel right now. And to tell the truth, that's exciting to me because I have been in a box for a long time.

Probably -- but there are people who claim to have total comprehension and that always amazes me.

The idea of the one light being passed down through 10 Gurus is also very strange to me. It's all a new way of thinking.

In Christianity there is the very different idea of disciplic succession. Say, from Jesus to the apostles to later evangelists, or to a patriarch or the pope in Rome -- all learning at the feet of those who came before them. The transmission of the jyote is not like that at all. The 10 Guru's were individuals who were able to move their minds and hearts and souls out from under all the layers of materiality and imperfection, all the layers of Maya, to a pure discovery of God within themselves, within all of Creation. This realization is the jyote. Why these 10 and not another 10? Because the first recognized the jyote in the second, and the second in the third, and the third in the fourth, and the fourth in the fifth, and so on. Finally we get to Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji who ends by saying find the jyote in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib. Some say he was beginning to see signs among the sangat that looked like a return to worship of gurus in human form, idolatry, pagan ideas. Who knows? The idea is that we all have this jyote, but most are not aware.

One thing I've noticed about religions that claim to be monotheisms is that none seem to be. Christianity claims monotheism and yet they worship what they call a triune God with Jesus and the Holy Spirit as parts of God. Islam claims to be the only true monotheism and yet a person cannot become a Muslim without declaring allegiance to God AND Mohammad and very rarely are prayers sent up to God only. Thus Mohammad is worshipped as well, even though Muslims will deny this.

I don't know what to say.

Not entities equal to or part of God as a kind of mathematical equation or relationship. More like this: Creation is part of the infinite and timeless One who pervades his creation. He cannot be measured. "One" is immeasurable. It is unity.

No one is offended when someone is sincere.

Again, thank you for hearing me.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: