• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Celebrating Sikh Smiley Art By Mai Harinder Kaur Ji

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
:geekkaur: :geeksingh: :happykaur: :veryhappymunda: :carefreekaur: :happysingh: :shymunda: :shykudi: :happykudi: :thinkingkudi:
A Complete List of All Smileys: Sikh Philosophy Network - Smilies

Gurfateh SPN'ers !!

Well, we all have come to love these adorable smileys and have been using them at SPN with great love and affection for quite some time now. This is the time, we recognized the creativity of our own self-styled, self-learning most prolific creative artist, Mai Harinder Kaur Ji. :veryhappymunda:

It is not more than a few weeks ago, when she got her hands on the Adobe Photoshop Tool for the very first time and my word! she has learned the tricks of the trade faster than any above-average PC Junkie :geeksingh: would boost off, which is a tribute to her creativity, dedication, skill and perseverance. :wah:

And, not in a future too far, we will be adding a whole range of amazing Sikh Smileys at SPN, which Mai Ji has quite so generously shared with us. :)

Please join me in appreciating the artist. :happy:

Chardi Kala! :ice:

Aman Singh

:happysingh:

Attachments

• sikh_smiley_art.jpg
    sikh_smiley_art.jpg
    15.9 KB · Reads: 2,747

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
O GOSH, I just long to be the dust of the feet of the slaves of the slaves of the slaves of the...you get it. Somebody gave me this incredible programme and the least I can do is use it. I was just a bit sad at the dearth of Sikh smileys and having the tools and with Aman ji's encouragement, decided to do it myself. Anyway, these things are pure fun. I hope to get at least a couple more done today. They are all based on people I know.

PC junkie or Internet addict?

Perhaps eventually I'll learn to animate them.

:ice:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
There's more to this smiley thing than meets the eye at first glance. Read on, dear friends...

<center> [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] The Harvey Ball Smiley Face:
A Short History on the 40th Anniversary - 2003

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] by Ken Cates, Bitwise Gifts
[/FONT] [/SIZE][/FONT] </center>

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]
hb_early.jpg
The irresistible smiley face flowed from the pen of Harvey Ball, a graphic artist in Worcester, Massachusetts. The year was 1963. Harvey was hired by the State Mutual Life Assurance Company to design a logo that would uplift its employees after a company merger had hurt company morale. The logo was to accompany a "friendship campaign" that the company came up with to encourage employees to smile as they went about their work or interacted with customers.

Thinking about what would inspire employees to smile, Harvey decided the most simple and direct symbol would be a smile itself and that is what he drew. A simple smile, and two eyes, not too perfect, but appealing in its simplicity. He made the background yellow, like a bright cheery sun. Harvey was paid a $45 fee for his timeless creation.

State Mutual originally ordered 100 button pins with the logo for its employees, but the symbol became so popular with workers, customers, and agents, that they were soon ordering them by the thousands. The smiley face has now become a cultural icon. Later in life, Harvey said, "Never in the history of mankind or art has any single piece of art gotten such widespread favor, pleasure, enjoyment, and nothing has ever been so simply done and so easily understood in art."

hb_pin.gif
The original button pin was actually rather tiny, only 7/8 inches across, made of metal, and with a straight pin on the back. The backside had the wording: "The SMILE insurance companies, WORCESTER MUTUAL, GUARANTEE MUTUAL, STATE MUTUAL OF AMERICA." State Mutual is now Allmerica Financial. Worcester Mutual Fire Insurance is now called Worcester Insurance Company and still uses the smiley face design on its promotional material.

hb_draw.jpg
Harvey Ball continued in his graphic arts career. But over the years, he realized that the smiley face symbol had become overly commercialized, losing much of what he had originally embodied in the symbol. The smiley face seemed to make people "feel good". But that is not what Harvey intended. He wanted it to inspire people to act, to perform good deeds that would benefit others. He wanted it to inspire the best in people. He felt that everyone has the capacity to make a positive difference in the world, no matter how small. This is the personal attitude that would change the world and would be a fulfillment of his original symbolic message. It is the philosophy with which he lived his own life.

To put the smiley face symbol back on track, Harvey created the World Smile Corporation (WSC) in 1999. He explained, "Smiley has become so commercialized that it’s original message of spreading good will and good cheer has all but disappeared. I needed to do something to rescue and restore that message." To inspire individual involvement, Harvey created the World Smile Day celebration each year in October. The slogan for World Smile Day is "Do an act of kindness – help one person smile!" Individuals, businesses, and organizations are encouraged to participate. The first World Smile Day was celebrated October 1, 1999 in Worcester, MA, and has been celebrated annually since then, becoming a worldwide event today.

hb_stamp.gif
Simultaneous with the first World Smile Day celebration, the United States Postal Service issued a special stamp in 1999, honoring the cultural icon status that the smiley face had attained.

Sadly, Harvey Ball passed away in 2001 at age 79. When he created the World Smile Corporation, he specified that all after-tax profits would be given to charities that focus on the needs of children. After his death, the Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation was established for that purpose while honoring Harvey’s name and memory. Harvey had a special place in his heart for children. Harvey said, "If our children learn early the power of a smile and a kind act the whole world will be a better place."

<table border="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td width="40%"> [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Sources:
World Smile Day
www.worldsmile.com
www.worldsmile.org

Photographs used with permission of World Smile Corporation [/SIZE][/FONT] </td><td width="249"> <center>
hb_children.jpg
</center>
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] Harvey Ball surrounded by schoolchildren during the World Smile Day 2000 celebration. The event has been very popular in schools across the country. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td></tr> </tbody></table>

<center> [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] "Do an act of kindness – help one person smile!"

[/FONT]
Harvey Ball was one chardi kala guy! :rofl!!:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] [/FONT] </center>

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Mai Ji..i never realised this facet of your personality...he he he..surprised me...keep in chardeekalla and give us more of these..made my day..

Gyani Ji,

I am one of those frustrated artists that was sort of "encouraged" to go into something a little more useful, like mathematics or science. It was fun while it lasted.

This is just one advantage to being "100% disabled." hehehehehe

There are more on the way.

:happykudi:

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Having witnessed and received the benefit of sister HK ji's brilliant mind I am not surprised that she has mastered Adobe Photoshop, but to be so creative to boot is terrific. She's the total package!:wah::veryhappymunda1:

Peace

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Mai ji has a hidden talent that blossoms like a hidden rose bud on a twig and certainly pops out, out of nowhere in the morning and its smileys are the dew drops on it which are screaming quite happily in unison about the blossoming of this bud into a flower.

As they say," Smiley Roses can take care of the thorns".

gurusevak

SPNer
May 11, 2011
Dear Veerji,

It is a humble request to please remove the smilies as the sikhism are not the part or path of joke, but the path of truth.

so please it is a humble request to please stop making jokes on sikh community just for fun and money.

prarthi,
gurusikh.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Gurfateh Gursevak Ji

I am little disappointed after reading your message above. If you would had bothered to read the history behind the creation of smileys here, you would know how these smileys evoke the idea of Chardi Kala amongst Sikh community.

Sikh Smileys provide SPN with a distinct identity and are an integral part of SPN community, who has not only adored this creative idea by Mai ji for years but also have adapted it seamlessly in there messages. These smileys are here to stay!

:angryadminsingh:

All these hard labored priceless Sikh Smileys are quite generously created by the curator under the Creative Commons License, which means anybody can use them without paying a single penny!

Relax and enjoy your stay! mundahug

Gurfateh!

Aman Singh

:)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
When we read the sakhis we understand the great sense of humor of Guru Nanak Dev ji. Imagine him telling the Brahmins that if he throws water to the west it will reach his cattle. What a stark way of telling them that they were deluding themselves. There are so many examples of his wit...which he used to teach a moral principle in a very clear way.

Our Gurusahiban were not dry sticks without humor. Nor could they inspire thousands as they did in their day without "spirited" personalities.

At SPN we try to provide a complete diet for the mind, body and soul. Humor is an essential ingredient.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Back in January of this year, something drove me to put sikhism into google, and i browsed a few sites, I had no idea what exactly I was looking for, I read a few postings on a few forums, some of the forums seemed very uhmm 'punjabi'? if that makes sense, rather than sikhi, I remember looking at a posting and noted that it was full of little smiling sikh faces, and it was the fun and chardi kala spirit and lack of taking itself too seriously that led me here, so thank you Maiji, if it were not for your adorable smiling faces that can lend itself to changing the tone of a whole post (in the positive), I would probably still be going round in circles, your smileys saved me! you have no idea how important they are to show people that this forum is gentle and sweet, Maiji, your smileys are the Patashas in our amrit!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: