• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Celebrating Sikh Smiley Art By Mai Harinder Kaur Ji

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
They all look lovely; I lean towards green. Har Har guide & bless you.
The beard didn't look quite right to me and this, I think, looks much better. (BTW, whenever I make a smiley, it typically goes through at least 4-5 revisions before we're all happy with it.)

Attachments

• greybeard2.gif
    greybeard2.gif
    25.1 KB · Reads: 317

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Harinder Kaur ji

You have made a man in his early 70s extremely happy. When it comes to colours, I am well-catered for in the variety you have offered. I wear several colours except green, purple etc. We are all indebted to you.

Many thanks Mai ji.

Rajinder Singh 'Arshi'

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Harinder Kaur ji

You have made a man in his early 70s extremely happy. When it comes to colours, I am well-catered for in the variety you have offered. I wear several colours except green, purple etc. We are all indebted to you.

Many thanks Mai ji.

Rajinder Singh 'Arshi'

Thank you. These silly little things are fun to make. :mundakhalsaflag:

BTW, the beard is taken from a real Singh. I hope he doesn't mind. Just lightening the younger smiley's beard didn't make it for me.

I almost added a multi-coloured tie dye and a polka dot...Unfortunately, they really look sort of muddy when so small.

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Mai ji. I may have mentioned in our earlier dialogues, I worked as a cartograkher in the sixties and most of the seventies, the last few years as a free-lancer to support my studies, my family, with two children and a mortgage, to qualify as a chartered certified accountant. Cartography, as you are aware, deals a lot with colours and design skills, so you can understand my appreciation of your work.

BTW, on a personal light note, I do not leave my beard loose (or dress in kurta pyjama) outside the house, one of the objections raised against me for performing kirtan (all nishkam by the way) in a couple of Gurdwarars. Perhaps, I should now conform to your latest smiley and let my beard flow, ha ha. This will save you the effort for designing a smiley just for me :winkingmunda:, a well groomed (damn it, its that ego again) Sikh, with the help of hair fixer, cream, thaathee, layered fifty etclol.

I have been a sabat soorat Sikh all my life, thanks to my parents and the blessings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.Kind regards - but not necessarily a Gurmukh. It was not easy in the late sixties and seventies in the UK but Guru Ji gives us the strength and courage to persevere under all circumstances.

Kind regards

Rajinder Singh 'Arshi'

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Arshi Ji,
When I was young I always wanted to grow up to be a cartographer. That was my dream profession.
Aristotle ji
<?"urn:
B><FONT face=Verdana> There were not many (sometimes any) job opportunities in <
</st1:country-region>Kenya when I left School at the end 1960. After a lot of sarak shap I had a choice between becoming a surveyor (involving field work) and cartography. Being a coward, I opted for the comfort of four walls. However, that proved to be an excellent choice as within three years I completed all my exams and was promoted to take charge of a drawing office. This gave me rounded experience of map-making from A to Z which stood me in good stead when we moved to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region> in early 1968. Not many cartographers had the rounded experience I had gained working on topographical and street maps in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Kenya</st1:country-region>.

In the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region> I had the opportunity to work on geological, hydro-geological and geophysical projects – designing, drawing and determining the colour scheme etc. One of the projects, you will be pleased to note, was from the Kindom of Greece - The Regional Development Project of the Salonica Plain (completed on 12 June 1968).

I represent a strange, perhaps weird, combination of a cartographer cum chartered certified accountant – my current spiritual leaning is only adding to this weirdness. All of my current colleagues are chartered accountants, economists, lawyers, tax consultants and financial advisors. Having seen some of my work they were so impressed, they felt I was mad to quit cartography. However, at the time, in the 1970s cartography wasn’t going any place and I felt as if I was in a ‘dead man’s boots’ and hence the change. As I still have all the old cartographic tools and paraphernalia (ancient stuff) my colleagues suggest, on retirement (when?), I should use my skills to create works of art but I have so many other plans as well, music, writing, travelling etc.

PS: Perhaps I should offer medieval cartographic training to aspirants like yourself - you can still realise your dream :winkingmunda:.

Apologies for the long post and kind regards.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

Last edited by a moderator:

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
PS: Perhaps I should offer medieval cartographic training to aspirants like yourself - you can still realise your dream :winkingmunda:.[/FONT]

Too late arshi Ji. I'll be a Doctor next year. But medicine was always one of my passions too. But I would certainly encourage any young lad I meet who wants to be a cartographer (and I haven't yet met any, so far!):thumbsupp:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Mai ji. I may have mentioned in our earlier dialogues, I worked as a cartograkher in the sixties and most of the seventies, the last few years as a free-lancer to support my studies, my family, with two children and a mortgage, to qualify as a chartered certified accountant. Cartography, as you are aware, deals a lot with colours and design skills, so you can understand my appreciation of your work.

BTW, on a personal light note, I do not leave my beard loose (or dress in kurta pyjama) outside the house, one of the objections raised against me for performing kirtan (all nishkam by the way) in a couple of Gurdwarars. Perhaps, I should now conform to your latest smiley and let my beard flow, ha ha. This will save you the effort for designing a smiley just for me :winkingmunda:, a well groomed (damn it, its that ego again) Sikh, with the help of hair fixer, cream, thaathee, layered fifty etclol.

I have been a sabat soorat Sikh all my life, thanks to my parents and the blessings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.Kind regards - but not necessarily a Gurmukh. It was not easy in the late sixties and seventies in the UK but Guru Ji gives us the strength and courage to persevere under all circumstances.

Kind regards

Rajinder Singh 'Arshi'

Arshi ji,

My introduction to cartography was the four colour problem in a topology class. That, and, HERE THERE BE DRAGONS. (And not in Wales.) It's a fascinating field and beautiful, too. My dream, one of my dreams, was to be a meteorologist until I found out it was all partial differential equations with lots of noise. I moved on to other dreams. I have enough dreams to keep me busy for quite a long time. Thinking about it, it's amazing how many of my personal dreams have come true. I have not had such success with my universal dreams, but "I keep laughing instead of crying, I'll be fighting until I'm dying..."

How you wear your beard is your business and no one else's (except maybe your wife). Everybody who knows me knows that I prefer the natural look. A flowing beard for the man (and woman, if she is so blessed), an unpainted face for both man and woman. I insist that my clothes by comfortable and clean and cover me decently. Turban is special. It is a special gift and needs to be treated as such. It should be as beautifully tied as possible, to honour the Guru (not to stroke the ego).

Now...what has this to do with my Smileys? Nothing, really, but those of us over 60 must be indulged occasionally eh? :winkingkaur: :winkingkudi:

I was working on some little pictures, not smileys exactly, of the 5 K's. and I got sidetracked

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: