• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Why Is The Law Of Karma Rejected?

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Tejwant ji,

My response to you is in blue.

I would like to forget all this *** for tat thing but one thing caught my eye which forced me to write this post because it needs a lot of knowledge and clarifications.

You write:

Quote: Other than simply stating that the Truth can't be anyone's monopoly, can you give some reason for thinking this way? And can you answer one simple question, why if Guru Nanak and the Buddha both understood the Truth, did one teach about God and the other did not?

1.Who taught what and where? Please give your answer with concrete references.

I am not sure what you are asking. Is it historical evidence or something else? Does the following answer your question:
The Buddha taught what is recorded in the Pali Tipitaka somewhere around India and Nepal.
Guru Nanak taught some of what is recorded in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji some of which has been quoted on this list. Where? I don’t know exactly.

2. Did Buddha write anything?

No.

3. If he did then, who has the original writings of Buddha and where are they kept?

He did not write anything.

4. Are they available on the internet?

Do a Google search and you will find something, just as I would if I did the same.

I hope you will also answer my question before coming up with more questions for me to respond to.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I work in an organisation where we diagnose children and adults with a particular type of disorder. I was talking with our senior diagnostician a couple of years ago who said it's interesting to see how some parents react when she tells them their child has a life-long disability. She said she's seen families react with shame because they've said it's due to past karma. She's also seen people draw acceptance from their faith with a type of 'Well it's all God's plan' philosophy.

Our clients also come in for therapy sessions, and it's heartbreaking to hear them wailing or screaming for no apparent reason (or for a reason we're not able to sense, like maybe the lights are too bright, or the airconditioner makes a low rumble that they're very sensitive to but the rest of us just filter out). Or when they start lashing out at their therapist who is trying to help them process certain stimuli or develop a skill.

Personally, I take a 'human biology, life sucks sometimes' approach. I'm not convinced there's anything more supernatural about it all, whether it's 'gods plan' or past karma.

It's hukam in so far as natural laws of biology, effects of environment etc.

Ishna ji,

Guru Fateh.

Unfortunately, this thing is very common, sadly even among many Sikh families including mine.

I have mentioned the following 2 stories before somewhere here but they are worth repeating.

Story #1. In 2000, I took my 2 kids to India to see my ailing Mum. Her widowed sister was staying with her then. We all decided to go to Amritsar along with my Mum's sister without my Mum of course. It was the first time for the kids to visit Darbar Sahib. As we reached Taran Taran, a city 15 miles away, the traffic was horrible which is common in India. A kid on his bike was pushed by someone and he fell on the window shield which broke. The first thing my Massi-mum's sister told me that it happened because we did not do Ardaas before leaving. All of a sudden Ik Ong Kaar- the Nirbhau, Nirvair one- became the evil punisher because we did not utter a few words before our trip. In fact there is nothing called actual prayer in Sikhi before or after anything. The only Ardaas is in Sukhmani that we utter before spitting out the list of the donors of the day and other things after the Sunday program in Gurdwara. The so called Ardaas is anti Sikhi values in many ways in my opinion, but this discussion can wait for some other day. I tried to explain to her that was not the case but that is the mentality. For her it was about KarmA.

Story#2. My sister from India comes and visits me with her husband who is a retired lawyer of the Supreme court of India. During one of their visits a few years ago, they told me that my niece's son is epileptic. My niece works at his school to help him. In the same breath they told me that it is due to her past KarmAs. It was in a very nonchalant manner as a final conclusion as if they were dusting off their own guilt. They said she is suffering because of that. This is coming from a father who had fought cases in front of The Supreme Court judges and it showed that they had washed their hands over this. They told her the same that she is being punished for what she must have done in her past lives.Their attitude upset me more than what my niece was going through. I calmly explained to them that this was not the case according to Gurbani. I also told them that my niece was the best Mum a child could ever have and these challenges will make her stronger but she needed everyone's support, especially her parents', her in laws' and her husband's all of whom had found a lame excuse and given up on her to make her suffer on her own. I also told them that their attitude towards her which was uncalled for and unloving and they should not be talking like that about their own daughter. Eventually, I called her in front of them, explained her that there is nothing about previous lives that made her son epileptic. I talk to her often. Unfortunately the condition has not improved. He has to wear a helmet just in case he has a seizure and falls down.

The saddest part is the Indian culture that is absent of any empathy because of the silly beliefs in KarmA. It is a cop out. A cowardice. Simply put. It is easy to blame some unicorn in the past lives for the suffering of a person in this world. It is pathetic in the country that is ingrained in such a silly belief.

Invisible stones are thrown at you by your so called loved ones and they do not give a hoot. No matter how many paaths they keep on doing expecting some miracle. This myopic mindset is set in stone.

Hence, it becomes difficult for a young beautiful mother to live her life in these kinds of environment, surrounded by people who have found the excuse of some non existent previous lives as a solution for their own peace of mind, so they can shed off their own guilt. Hell with the poor mother who is suffering all the times and being stoned at mercilessly by the ones who claim to love her and care for her.

Ishna ji, this is a common factor in India, even among the Sikh families who do many paaths like parrots but have no inkling of the message of this beautiful Gurbani.

The Two who got married as one light.
Gave you birth, Nimarta.
The womb that carried you for 9 months.
Breast fed you. Taught you all the good things.
That made you into a wonderful person.

The strong hand that you held when little,
While taking a stroll in the park.
He took you to school.

They married you off happily,
To a great guy whom you call your life partner.
Your In-Laws showed you with pride.
To their circle of relatives.
And friends.

Then you gave birth to Abishekh
A beautiful soul whom you nursed.
No one knew what was wrong with him.
When you found out that he was epileptic.
It was not of your own doing.
Bad things happen to good people.

Your own world.
That claimed to love you,
Once.
Abandoned you.
And blamed you.
For your evil deeds.
In some previous lives.

The Loved ones went in search of excuses.
In order to find peace for themselves

They found it.
In guilt.
The one they presented you with.
On the platter.
For your evil doings.
That is what they say.
In your previous lives.
You will never find out about.
No inkling.
No idea.
Not even the faintest notion.

But please, do not wrestle with this, My Nimarta.
You are not a guilt, but a gift.
To a handsome son.
Who looks up to you.
He knows that you are with him.
Will never abandon him.

Which is.
The sign of a
True Sikhni.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Confused ji some comments and observations.
So this means that Karma is used to mean action as well? Some people appear to insist that In Sikh teachings karma is rejected because it means “consequence of past actions”.
Confused ji I believe we need to stay reasonably precise and steadfast in our argument and exposition. I do not believe the debate or arguments sweet and sour on this thread are about the following,

• “consequence of past actions
o [/FONT]Past is not defined in terms when an action will result in a consequence that is not apparent at the time of the action or experienced there and then
o [/FONT]There is no espousal of concepts like “instantaneous justice” or “reward” discernible by all doing actions and all actions
o [/FONT]The general line is “you sow so shall you reap” but we know that there is generally a time lag between “sowing” and “reaping” and for some actions it may last a life time
  • “Our actions and others actions interplay”
o [/FONT]It goes without saying that all effects all no matter how much or how little,

• This relates to the emphasis on consonance and recognition of all creation as espoused in Sikhism
  • Even more strongly it is stated to be all one in Sikhism
  • Sentience or non-sentience has no meaning as in creation the transformations of one to the other are continuous and timeless
o [/FONT]Others have impact on us and we have on others

• Even people or elements of many millennium ago or light years have an impact on us and so it will be in many millennium and light years away into the future
o [/FONT]For me we all within ourselves as parts of others who have been before us and who and what is around us as and now

• I call this living micro-reincarnations that are continuous and beyond strict mapping or control that we as mortals of non perfect intellect can ever understand and fully quantify
  • I am living part of you through this interaction and many others at spn
  • I am living parts of my friends, teachers like our Guru jis and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji
  • This is a marvel in creation and cannot be boxed in defineable boundaries with terms like Karma or anything else to have any kind of specificity
  • “consequence of our past lives
o [/FONT]Now here is where we fall into the deep well of darkness
o [/FONT]It is greatest of egos to state as though we are a continuation of an entity (commonly called as me in my previous life or life cycle) that is impervious to time or actions of birth and death
o [/FONT]Creation churns all to ashes and particles so fine that something totally wonderful could be created all the time

• My ashes as part of a tree or a flower or something perhaps not as good in human terms that creation does not give two hoots about
· Being excrement of a maggot for those buried
· Being part of a dirty ditch for those cremated
o [/FONT]So “Karma” as very commonly related to whole and complete lives/bodies/souls somehow carrying on unperturbed in many lives or series is just hog wash

• Of course we are related to our parents but we are not identical to them in every way
  • Of course we can fully understand say a Gur ji’s teachings, but we do not become a Guru
  • You can study all you want to and be as good as Buddha but you will not be Buddha
  • “Sikhism and Consonance”
o [/FONT]Guru ji and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as emphatically as possible try to elaborate and teach us much of the above as far as I understand
o [/FONT]Infinite to learn but for ever learning and living there by
o [/FONT]Wisdom too vast to be of privy or proprietary for anyone

• Sikhism teaches to learn to seek wisdom but does not monopolize on the wisdom total and detailed
But let me ask you this, why do you not believe that certain volitional actions will bring corresponding results in the future? Do you not see that mental states such as attachment, anger, kindness, wisdom and so on, have accumulative effect, such that for example, anger arisen now adds that much to the tendency for anger to arise in the future (re: habit)? If so, what is the reason that you reject the idea of seeds of volitional activity being planted which will bring results in the form of other experiences in the future?
Confused ji let us take a step back and let us rethink. Sikhism is not against Science or wisdom. Building of tendencies (the Pavlovian experiments with dogs), we setting a path for our actions based on what we have been doing is common sense and is not rocket science. It is totally in line with “sow so shall you reap” as embraced by Sikhism. We sowing all the time when it ripens is not always known. We are also reaping continuously, what we reap perhaps we cannot always understand whether it relates to something we sowed or a confluence of tendencies or many sowing's.

This is simple stuff and does not need to be put into a box and colored as “Karma” or anything else. The wisdom is “sowing and reaping” and not naming it.

I have not commented on some of the other stuff in your post as it brings us lower in wisdom and dialog and not raise us to higher or greater wisdom/understanding.

Regards. mundahugkaurhug
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Hum AADMI haan EK DAMMI....the Past is gone..the FUTURE is NOT yet OURS. WE are the PRESENT. This is not just referring to breathing human body...its also everything else...
The SGGS is for the PRESENT....we SOW for the PRESENT and we reap in the Present......

And YES its pandering to ones EGO to assume that we have ALWAYS BEEN...are NOW..and WILL BE in the Future...EQUAL to HIM.... the CREATOR !! Are we saying we are aad sach jugaad sach hai bhee sach...??? I think NOT....Only those with Huge EGOS will think that.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
We are ALL just a bunch of ''objects'' in the maya world.
It gives our ''ego's'' much comfort to attach theories and concepts about where and why we are !!

The fact is our ''ego'' convinces us that we ''know' what is ''real'' and what is the ''truth'' !!
Far from it.......
We are just ''Objects'' playing with other objects.
However, there is Only ONE ''Subject'' That '' Subject'' is the ''seer'', the one who sees the objects.
Only the ''Subject'' knows what is ''real'' and what is the ''truth''.

Until we don't realise, that we are just objects on the opposite ends to the subject which is the real truth, then all we do with our fancy explanations and concepts is move further away into the ''ego''.
This ego blinds us from the real ''seer'' who sees and watches us !

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Ambarsaria ji,

Confused ji some comments and observations.
Quote: Originally Posted by Confused
So this means that Karma is used to mean action as well? Some people appear to insist that In Sikh teachings karma is rejected because it means “consequence of past actions”.<>

Confused ji I believe we need to stay reasonably precise and steadfast in our argument and exposition. I do not believe the debate or arguments sweet and sour on this thread are about the following,

“consequence of past actions”
o Past is not defined in terms when an action will result in a consequence that is not apparent at the time of the action or experienced there and then

As I said before, it is pointless to try and indentify a particular cause and its corresponding result. Indeed with a little understanding it will be seen that this can’t quite be done. The point is to understand different experiences and come to see how some are of the nature of cause and some resultant. The relationship is therefore “understood”, and this is different from the mind that insists on evidence in order to be convinced. Besides, no amount of evidence can do anything in the way of reducing doubt since only with wisdom can doubt be lessened.

===
o There is no espousal of concepts like “instantaneous justice” or “reward” discernible by all doing actions and all actions

Understanding the nature of mental phenomena, particularly the complexity of conditionality, shows how unlikely it is that a deed will produce instantaneous results. Justice perhaps yes, but only from the standpoint of results seen as corresponding to the deed and not from some observers point of view. Otherwise however, the idea of justice and reward is the outcome of a wrong understanding about karma.

===
o The general line is “you sow so shall you reap” but we know that there is generally a time lag between “sowing” and “reaping” and for some actions it may last a life time

But not beyond? Would there not be more number of deeds which will not bear fruit than those which do? So why even believe this “you sow so shall you reap” as a general principle? Why not believe in chaos or blind chance instead?

===
“Our actions and others actions interplay”
o It goes without saying that all effects all no matter how much or how little,

Only in one’s thoughts / imagination. This is the kind of thinking that has led some Buddhists to believe in for example, the idea of collective karma. It is the failure to understand that there is only one moment of consciousness at a time, either a cause or resultant. And that all that is ever involved and affected is within that one instance of experience which rises and falls away in an instant.

If I act with kindness towards you, I do it expecting some kind of response. But this is only in thinking and is fine as we live our lives in the conventional world. In reality however, what is experienced by you are momentary experiences such as, seeing and hearing, the rest is what thinking thinks about what is seen and the sounds heard. In other words what happens here involves mental and physical realities each conditioned variously, none of which is within anyone’s control. And no experience lasts long enough to make a connection with anything else outside of that momentary rising and falling away. More importantly, my deed is accumulative within my own moment to moment experience and yours within your own.

Interconnectedness is a wrong perception, a metaphysical nonsense held also by the Mahayana Buddhists.

===
This relates to the emphasis on consonance and recognition of all creation as espoused in Sikhism
Even more strongly it is stated to be all one in Sikhism
Sentience or non-sentience has no meaning as in creation the transformations of one to the other are continuous and timeless

You mean it makes no difference to the overall picture if you act with good-will or with ill-will and in both case, is of no more import than say, a leaf falling from a tree?

I think even during moments of great inspiration, your own actions follow a path that go against such thinking. When you act with moral restraint or with kindness towards someone, you do it with the knowledge that this is better than acting with hatred. The reference point at such times is not any idea about ‘interconnectedness’ or ‘ripple effect’, but something about the person in front of you. Indeed you’d push away any thoughts about what others might think or what happens later on, preferring instead to put all your heart into that one activity.

Also you’d care about a neighbor’s grandchild being sick more than you’d do on hearing about many sun systems collapsing. And why is this, because you know that a living being matters much more than any physical object. The only thing is that for some reason, you find pleasure in entertaining the particular metaphysical belief and will not give it up.

===
o Others have impact on us and we have on others
Even people or elements of many millennium ago or light years have an impact on us and so it will be in many millennium and light years away into the future

How does this influence your decision when confronting say, an old woman tripping and falling in front of you? And how would she react in the days to come, if you chose to ignore her and someone else came to help, or not?

===
o For me we all within ourselves as parts of others who have been before us and who and what is around us as and now
I call this living micro-reincarnations that are continuous and beyond strict mapping or control that we as mortals of non perfect intellect can ever understand and fully quantify
I am living part of you through this interaction and many others at spn
I am living parts of my friends, teachers like our Guru jis and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

The stuff of dreams.
And while entertaining such thoughts, more ignorance, attachment and wrong understanding with regard to what is really going on from moment to moment accumulates. These ideas are just that, with a change of circumstance, other ideas will be entertained, but the realities mentioned are very real and their accumulations don’t just disappear.

===
This is a marvel in creation and cannot be boxed in defineable boundaries with terms like Karma or anything else to have any kind of specificity
“consequence of our past lives”

The fascination and awe is in reality, attachment taking control supported by wrong understanding. Being devoid of a sense of urgency, it takes the attention away from the possibility of understanding this very attachment and wrong understanding as two different kinds of karma.

“Consequence of past lives”? No one is asking anyone to think this way with regard to what is “now”.

===
o Now here is where we fall into the deep well of darkness
o It is greatest of egos to state as though we are a continuation of an entity (commonly called as me in my previous life or life cycle) that is impervious to time or actions of birth and death

Well according to a correct understanding of karma, there is no “self” who comes from a past life into the present one and continues to the next. Only conditions exist and roll on. The reference to a person as having past and future existence is only conventional, one made to distinguish different streams of consciousness / Five Aggregates and points to particular aspects of conditionality.

It is funny though, that you should judge karma as encouraging ego. Even when seen through self-view as the Hindus and Jains do, given that the concept points at the fact that human birth is extremely rare as compared to those in lower planes, what is there then to be proud about?

On the other hand, God impresses upon me as the ultimate ego. Whether one identifies with, or thinks oneself as only an insignificant part of, both involve comparing and identification which are expressions of conceit, therefore feeding ego. So the more successful one is in merging with, or loosing oneself into God, it is in fact ego that wins.

===
o Creation churns all to ashes and particles so fine that something totally wonderful could be created all the time

The process of aging begins the very moment one opens one’s eyes to the world, and all experience falls away constantly, why then perceive anything as beautiful? To do so is a perversion of perception and of view. Matter disintegrates is due to the very nature of matter itself and not some overarching controller. Likewise the phenomena of birth, aging and death, these lie in the fact of realities being *conditioned* and not because it was created and then destroyed by some greater power. The idea of a “super controller” is rooted in the individuals own unwillingness to see that there is no “self” who controls anything.

===
My ashes as part of a tree or a flower or something perhaps not as good in human terms that creation does not give two hoots about

Only the mental reality which thinks can give or not give two hoots about anything, and such thinking is a “conditioned” phenomena. Your creation is just an abstract idea and not a reality, physical or mental. Indeed if you consider it “unconditioned”, then it must follow that it can’t in fact think anything.

===
• Being excrement of a maggot for those buried
• Being part of a dirty ditch for those cremated

Of course the body is not you, dead or alive. And it is food for other creatures, both dead and alive.

===
o So “Karma” as very commonly related to whole and complete lives/bodies/souls somehow carrying on unperturbed in many lives or series is just hog wash

Karma has very specific meanings as I cited before. Why do you have to insist on your own meaning and then try to dismiss it?

===
Of course we are related to our parents but we are not identical to them in every way
Of course we can fully understand say a Gur ji’s teachings, but we do not become a Guru
You can study all you want to and be as good as Buddha but you will not be Buddha

And your point is? That this is karmic effect and how karma should in fact be understood?

===
“Sikhism and Consonance”
o Guru ji and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as emphatically as possible try to elaborate and teach us much of the above as far as I understand

The other day I went to this website called Reflections on Gurbani and this is what I found:

http://www.gurbani.org/articles/webart40.htm

One thing the author T. Singh, appears to be suggesting is similar to what I once suggested here to Harry ji (if I remember right). At the time I cited the Buddhist concept of the Five Cosmic Orders of which Karma is one, and suggested that perhaps Hukam can be seen as representing all these orders, if so, it should not be a problem then, to accept Karma as part of this Hukam.

What say you about this?

===
o Infinite to learn but for ever learning and living there by
o Wisdom too vast to be of privy or proprietary for anyone

There is just the experience and the object of experience through the five senses and the mind to understand, one at a time. In fact, only these can be objects of direct understanding / wisdom. The rest are objects of thought hence completely useless when it comes to knowledge leading to enlightenment.

One day someone approached the Buddha with a question to which the Buddha’s responded by picking up some leaves from the ground and asked the man:

“Which do you think is more, the amount of leaves in my hand or the leaves in the forest out there?”

To this the man answered:

“The amount of leaves in your hands is very small. The leaves in the forest is much more.”

The Buddha then compared the leaves in his hand to what he taught his disciples and those in the forest to what he actually knew. He then said that what he taught is all that needs to be known in order to be liberated; the rest is not useful in this regard.

===
Sikhism teaches to learn to seek wisdom but does not monopolize on the wisdom total and detailed

You are of the view that different religions teach different aspects of a greater reality?
Well, this itself is a view and a possible source of inspiration to start a religion.

===
But let me ask you this, why do you not believe that certain volitional actions will bring corresponding results in the future? Do you not see that mental states such as attachment, anger, kindness, wisdom and so on, have accumulative effect, such that for example, anger arisen now adds that much to the tendency for anger to arise in the future (re: habit)? If so, what is the reason that you reject the idea of seeds of volitional activity being planted which will bring results in the form of other experiences in the future?<>

Confused ji let us take a step back and let us rethink. Sikhism is not against Science or wisdom. Building of tendencies (the Pavlovian experiments with dogs), we setting a path for our actions based on what we have been doing is common sense and is not rocket science. It is totally in line with “sow so shall you reap” as embraced by Sikhism. We sowing all the time when it ripens is not always known. We are also reaping continuously, what we reap perhaps we cannot always understand whether it relates to something we sowed or a confluence of tendencies or many sowing's.

This is simple stuff and does not need to be put into a box and colored as “Karma” or anything else. The wisdom is “sowing and reaping” and not naming it.

Well, that is why I pointed this out; I expected you to have noted one aspect of mentality so that you will then begin to consider the possibility of the other as also being true.

The first is reference to accumulated tendency and *not* Karma. And you take this fact about accumulated tendency as a case of “sow so shall you reap” and this is nonsense. You are saying to the effect that anger now is cause and more anger later is the fruit. This is *not* the cause and effect which is karma and its result. It is formations and its nature to accumulate, which is one aspect of mentality but not Karma. Karma is intention and its result are particular class of consciousness known as resultants.

And as I said, my point was to show you that if you can believe that the one happens, then you should also accept the possibility of the other happening. And I also pointed out that there is difference between mentality and physicality and how unlike the one, the other does not decline but can accumulate without any bounds.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Confused ji thanks for your response. Some comments I have listed here.
Ambarsaria ji,
As I said before, it is pointless to try and indentify a particular cause and its corresponding result. … to understand different experiences and come to see how some are of the nature of cause and some resultant.
Confused ji give me an example of the following,

• nature of cause

• resultant
Confused ji, explain to me if one cannot map cause-result incidents then how can “tendencies” be so observed. I believe you make a big deal out of it as though Sikhism rejects that people can have habits, tendencies, etc., gained through actions and supporting results whether they like such 100% or get used to these for much less than 100% satisfaction/attachment.
Understanding the nature of mental phenomena, particularly the complexity of conditionality, shows how unlikely it is that a deed will produce instantaneous results.
Confused ji you are the one with sustained emphasis on rising and falling instantaneous volitions in mind. Rest of the world works by observing the macro impacts as in “as you sow so shall you reap”, “controlling five deficiencies as in Kam, karodh, lobh, moh and ahankar”. You are telling all to focus on mental rising/falling instances (micro) and saying the macro like “as you sow so shall you reap” being too hard to validate. Indeed much is too hard to validate and absence such validation the evil merchants invent Karma so that they can control the masses with smoke and mirrors. Mega businesses including some of the largest religions which teach them to avoid bad karma, give potions to correct bad karma, sell shells and stones to wear to avoid bad karma, etc. Such list is so long it is a joke that person astute as yourself somehow does not see practical impact of Karmic thinking as the mega trap that it is.
But not beyond? Would there not be more number of deeds which will not bear fruit than those which do? So why even believe this “you sow so shall you reap” as a general principle? Why not believe in chaos or blind chance instead?
Confused ji you raise a very good point. Fundamental in Sikhism is the interplay of elements. “You sow so shall you reap” is not a stand alone concept. It goes along with much other to be raised in wisdom acquisition. “Consonance” with rest of creation is also very fundamental. Many a Japanese getting swallowed by the Tsunami while the birds fly merrily above the waves is not Karma. It is an interplay of “you sow so shall you reap” as well as “consonance”. If one were to not built a house so close to shore, one would not be swallowed by the sea. Can we acquire perfect wisdom to be in total control of all unknowns that we are never surprised and live happily or as we please every moment of our lives? Sikhism suggests we continue to gain such wisdom while with eyes, ears and mind wide open that there will never be a gaining of all wisdom that affects all. The magic potion of Karma is just an illusion which in practicality is addressed front and centre this way as nothing more than height of extreme ignorance.
…. This is the kind of thinking that has led some Buddhists to believe in for example, the idea of collective karma. It is the failure to understand that there is only one moment of consciousness at a time, either a cause or resultant. And that all that is ever involved and affected is within that one instance of experience which rises and falls away in an instant.
It is the falsehood premise of Karmic thought that is an issue. I believe such Buddhists rightfully extend the true statement and exposition of Karma as described and postulated. So I say they are right and in their righteousness of understanding and postulation they are proving how Karma is bogus concept like a banana leaf tainted with pesticides used to serve pure food.

…. Interconnectedness is a wrong perception, a metaphysical nonsense held also by the Mahayana Buddhists.
Confused ji if I were to take an assessment of how many Buddhists you have put down, I believe it will approach about 100%. I do believe you made statements like that in other posts but I have no problem being held to error or be corrected.

You have clearly stated to Tejwant Singh ji that there was nothing written by Buddha. So somehow you have made a connection of purity to Buddha through a silken thread of unknown thickness. I am starting to doubt that.
I think even during moments of great inspiration, your own actions follow a path that go against such thinking. When you act with moral restraint or with kindness towards someone, you do it with the knowledge that this is better than acting with hatred. The reference point at such times is not any idea about ‘interconnectedness’ or ‘ripple effect’, but something about the person in front of you. Indeed you’d push away any thoughts about what others might think or what happens later on, preferring instead to put all your heart into that one activity.
Sikhs have very strongly as a community or in greater preponderance shown this aspect. Do you believe it has anything to do with the teachings of our Guru jis and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji!

Your caring examples and statements I don’t care too much about. We fail sometimes and we succeed sometimes and there is no one perfect in this regard.

It is funny though, that you should judge karma as encouraging ego. Even when seen through self-view as the Hindus and Jains do, given that the concept points at the fact that human birth is extremely rare as compared to those in lower planes, what is there then to be proud about?
Sikhism does not disapprove of Darwin’s evolution and natural selection aspects. I assume you do and believe that we just happened as in Adam-Eve and like garbage stories that forms basis of other religions you mention. Brother false foundations cannot support a house of truths so do a retrospection. Our Guru jis did and hence Sikhism.
On the other hand, God impresses upon me as the ultimate ego. Whether one identifies with, or thinks oneself as only an insignificant part of, both involve comparing and identification which are expressions of conceit, therefore feeding ego. So the more successful one is in merging with, or loosing oneself into God, it is in fact ego that wins.
Poor God! If you were to state that creation can be perversely equated to ego you may have a point. Creation is perhaps laughing at all of us for our stupidities and approaches as we look for the magic key (Karma) or such other magic potions. In the mean time the ice age cometh with or without the existence or non-existence of Karma. Why so! Because that is consonance and that is creation we are part of. As Luckysingh ji posted, we are just objects none more rare than any other nor can we judge so on behalf of creation.
The process of aging begins the very moment one opens one’s eyes to the world, and all experience falls away constantly, why then perceive anything as beautiful? To do so is a perversion of perception and of view. Matter disintegrates is due to the very nature of matter itself and not some overarching controller. Likewise the phenomena of birth, aging and death, these lie in the fact of realities being *conditioned* and not because it was created and then destroyed by some greater power. The idea of a “super controller” is rooted in the individuals own unwillingness to see that there is no “self” who controls anything.
Sikhism supports your observation and debunks your so called “super controller” argument as it only says we are of one and in one creation.
Karma has very specific meanings as I cited before. Why do you have to insist on your own meaning and then try to dismiss it?
Confused ji you can keep calling white black till the cows come home. It does not change anything. Your unique view of Karma is not how it is understood by 99.99999+%. You change those 99.99999+% before you change the definition or common prevalent understanding. It does not work to call the whole world as wrong. If you want to call your understanding something else perhaps there will be more coincidental, cordial and synergistic dialog. I have no idea myself other than to call it as a “model of the brain activity as per rising and falling volitional states conditioned over time that act as catalyst to such states and modify these”. Perhaps you can simplify it.
….. You are saying to the effect that anger now is cause and more anger later is the fruit.
Confused ji your ability to paraphrase is pretty pathetic considering the italics I have highlighted above. Give people a break they are not as stupid as you may think!
This is *not* the cause and effect which is karma and its result. It is formations and its nature to accumulate, which is one aspect of mentality but not Karma. (1)Karma is intention and its (2) result are particular class of consciousness known as resultants.
The 1 and 2 I flagged appear to have nothing to do with any definition of Karma I have ever read. But then again remember the following and let us lighten up,
Animals - Don't let me be Misunderstood - YouTube
Regards
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Ambarsaria ji,

As I said before, it is pointless to try and identify a particular cause and its corresponding result. … to understand different experiences and come to see how some are of the nature of cause and some resultant.

Confused ji give me an example of the following,
“nature of cause”
“resultant”

Causes are experiences such as a moment of anger, sensuous attachment, pride, miserliness etc. on one hand, and kindness, compassion, generosity and understanding etc, on the other.

Resultants are such as the experience of seeing, hearing, touching, smelling and tasting.

====
Confused ji, explain to me if one cannot map cause-result incidents then how can “tendencies” be so observed.

Didn't you refer to this as common sense in your last post?
Today I express anger towards my wife's cooking, tomorrow I do it again, chances are that at another time she cooks the same dish, I will react with anger. This is reflection of tendency. Indeed if I get angry easily at one particular kind of experience and you don't, this shows that I've accumulated from the past one kind of tendency and you another kind.

===
I believe you make a big deal out of it as though Sikhism rejects that people can have habits, tendencies, etc., gained through actions and supporting results whether they like such 100% or do so for much less than 100% satisfaction to sustain these.

No, in fact I pointed out twice in my last two messages, that these are common knowledge. And this I did so that you will consider the possibility of another mental function, namely karma.

So tell me now, why do you believe in the function of mentality which is accumulated tendencies, but deny the possibility of another function by “intention” namely karma? Is it because you can observe one to the satisfaction of your intellect and not the other?

===
Understanding the nature of mental phenomena, particularly the complexity of conditionality, shows how unlikely it is that a deed will produce instantaneous results.<>

Confused ji you are the one with sustained emphasis on rising and falling instantaneous volitions in mind.

But rise and fall away is not what is meant by cause and effect?! It is simply the characteristic of impermanence inherent in all conditioned existence, this means that causes are impermanent in nature and so are the resultants.

===
Rest of the world works by observing the macro impacts as in “as you sow so shall you reap”,

Give me one example and I will show you how that is not a case of moral cause and effect.

===
“controlling five deficiencies as in Kam, karodh, lobh, moh and ahankar”. You are telling all to focus on mental rising/falling instances (micro) and saying the macro like “as you sow so shall you reap” being too hard to validate.

What I am saying is that while the mental states are realities with definite characteristics, function and proximate cause and that these can be known by wisdom, a conventional idea about cause and effect is just that, an idea. You will hit or miss, but in either case, it does nothing in the way of developing wisdom. Indeed if you do not know what the mental reality behind any outward activity is, you will end up not only increasing ignorance and attachment, but also wrong understanding.

===
Indeed much is too hard to validate and absence such validation the evil merchants invent Karma so that they can control the masses with smoke and mirrors.

See what you are doing? You are insisting on proof when in fact what is required is understanding, and this is got through studying different states of mind. And btw, do you require proof for your belief in God or does that in fact involve a particular way of thinking about things? If someone has used the concept of karma incorrectly, instead of helping by pointing out the correct way of understanding it, you are instead going along with your own perceptions and then trying to dismiss karma altogether. This from my point of view, places you in no better position than those you are criticizing. Both come from a wrong understanding about Karma.

===
Mega businesses including some of the largest religions which teach them to avoid bad karma, give potions to correct bad karma, sell shells and stones to wear to avoid bad karma, etc. Such list is so long it is a joke that person astute as yourself somehow does not see practical impact of Karmic thinking as the mega trap that it is.

Or maybe unlike you, I do not allow other people’s thoughts and actions decide what to accept as Truth and what not to. Practical? The only practical thing to do is mind one’s own mind.

===
But not beyond? Would there not be more number of deeds which will not bear fruit than those which do? So why even believe this “you sow so shall you reap” as a general principle? Why not believe in chaos or blind chance instead?<>

Confused ji you raise a very good point. Fundamental in Sikhism is the interplay of elements. “You sow so shall you reap” is not a stand alone concept.

And according to Buddhist teachings, for both karma and its resultant there must be a coming together of several conditions, some in the present and some from the past. But karma itself is one kind of phenomena and so is the resultant. The question is not what conditions karma and its fruit to arise at any given moment, but what these actually are. I gave examples of these in the beginning of this message. So you might like to also do the same with regard to what you propose. What is the reality that is sow / sowing and what exactly is reaped?

===
It goes along with much other to be raised in wisdom acquisition. “Consonance” with rest of creation is also very fundamental.

What do you think about the following?

The Five Cosmic orders are;

1. The caloric order.
2. The germinal order.
3. The moral order.
4. The psychical order.
5. The phenomenal sequence.

Number 1 refers to the laws that governs material objects from a chemical compound to a star.
Number 2 refers to the laws governing plant life.
Number 3 is karma.
Number 4 is the laws according to which consciousness and its mental concomitants rise and fall in succession.
Number 5 is a general law encompassing all the other four and more.

Number one, what is relevant is that which is experienced through the five senses and this can be known directly. With regard to 2, a conceptual idea is all that we can ever have. Numbers 3 and 4 is what we need to understand more than anything else. Number 5 we can begin to understand through studying the other four. All this can be understood only by way of understanding that which appears “now” to experience.
Do you find this reasonable?
Is there anything else that needs to be done?

===
Many a Japanese getting swallowed by the Tsunami while the birds fly merrily above the waves is not Karma. It is an interplay of “you sow so shall you reap” as well as “consonance”.

Karma is intention of a particular intensity which accompanies volitional consciousness. The results of karma are fleeting instances of consciousness which include pleasant / unpleasant experiences through the five senses, birth, life-continuum and death consciousness.

I build a house by the sea and one day get hit by a Tsunami, which parts of this is karma and which are results of karma? When seeing a pleasant object, experiencing pleasant bodily sensations, etc. as in looking towards the sea and feeling the breeze, these are karma results. I then think about these experiences with attachment and proliferate on to the idea of “living by the sea”, these are an examples of cause. It is therefore wrong to say that karma led me to live by the sea and then to be hit by a Tsunami.

===
If one were to not built a house so close to shore, one would not be swallowed by the sea.

Many perceptions are involved and many experiences both pleasant and unpleasant each associated with much volitional activity through body, speech and mind. The object of wisdom would be any one of these experiences and their objects. For someone who continues to take seriously his thoughts about the past and future, this kind of understanding will be extremely remote.

===
Can we acquire perfect wisdom to be in total control of all unknowns that we are never surprised and live happily or as we please every moment of our lives.

The idea of control aside, understanding the different experiences and their objects through the five senses and the mind, counters the tendency to think in terms of stories about the past and future. And since in the end, no matter where we are and what we are doing, there is just the one experience at a time, and all of them equally fleeting, what then is there to be concerned and surprised about?

===
Sikhism suggests we continue to gain such wisdom while with eyes, ears and mind wide open that there will never be a gaining of all wisdom that affects all. The magic potion of Karma is just an illusion which in practicality is addressed front and centre this way as nothing more than height of extreme ignorance.

Understanding the eye, ear and mind itself would be a great achievement. But this won't happen if along the way there was no understanding about certain mental realities as being cause and some other as being result.

Please tell me; based on what knowledge do you judge moral cause and effect or Karma as illusory? I have provided my reasons for believing in the concept. Can you provide some concrete reason as to why you reject it apart from saying that it cannot be observed or that it is an invention by a particular group of people? One impression I get is that these protestations is due to fear of appearing superstitious…..

===
…. This is the kind of thinking that has led some Buddhists to believe in for example, the idea of collective karma. It is the failure to understand that there is only one moment of consciousness at a time, either a cause or resultant. And that all that is ever involved and affected is within that one instance of experience which rises and falls away in an instant. <>

It is the falsehood premise of Karmic thought that is an issue. I believe such Buddhists rightfully extend the true statement and exposition of Karma as described and postulated. So I say they are right and in their righteousness of understanding and postulation they are proving how Karma is bogus concept like a banana leaf tainted with pesticides used to serve pure food.

So you think the majority view is evidence of the rightness and wrongness of any concept. I would like to hear your explanation regarding Guru Nanak pointing out the wrong practices of the millions of Hindus and Muslims of his time…

But do attempt to prove wrong my suggestion about other Buddhists being wrong based on what I said. I had suggested that they are wrong based on the fact that there is only one moment of consciousness at a time and that all causes and conditions involved are within that very rising and falling away.

===
…. Interconnectedness is a wrong perception, a metaphysical nonsense held also by the Mahayana Buddhists.<>

Confused ji if I were to take an assessment of how many Buddhists you have put down, I believe it will approach about 100%. I do believe you made statements like that in other posts but I have no problem being held to error or be corrected.

Yes, it approaches 100% of those who call themselves Buddhist today. Can you explain to me what might be the problem with this?

===
You have clearly stated to Tejwant Singh ji that there was nothing written by Buddha. So somehow you have made a connection of purity to Buddha through a silken thread of unknown thickness. I am starting to doubt that.

I doesn't interest me to look at the Buddha from the historical standpoint. The Buddha is Buddha as in “the One who knows and sees”. Unlike others, he taught to see that which is the Truth, one which is not an abstraction, but can be understood right here and right now. And with this as reference point, I have come to see gradually more clearly, how others are wrong.

Anyway, although the Buddha did not write anything, his teachings were passed down via oral tradition involving large number of monks in different parts of India and elsewhere, reciting together. And this is much more reliable than written texts.

===
I think even during moments of great inspiration, your own actions follow a path that go against such thinking. When you act with moral restraint or with kindness towards someone, you do it with the knowledge that this is better than acting with hatred. The reference point at such times is not any idea about ‘interconnectedness’ or ‘ripple effect’, but something about the person in front of you. Indeed you’d push away any thoughts about what others might think or what happens later on, preferring instead to put all your heart into that one activity.<>

Sikhs have very strongly as a community or in greater preponderance shown this aspect. Do you believe it has anything to do with the teachings of our Guru jis and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji!

We all like to belong and we all fear change. This is due to ignorance and craving, and lack of wisdom which appreciates Truth as the only worthy aim.

I don’t see how your question relates to my comment, please explain.

===
Your caring examples and statements I don’t care too much about. We fail sometimes and we succeed sometimes and there is no one perfect in this regard.

You mean thought about the person with whom you are interacting is a mistake and that ideally one should be thinking in terms of the bigger picture?

===
It is funny though, that you should judge karma as encouraging ego. Even when seen through self-view as the Hindus and Jains do, given that the concept points at the fact that human birth is extremely rare as compared to those in lower planes, what is there then to be proud about?<>

Sikhism does not disapprove of Darwin's evolution and natural selection aspects. I assume you do and believe that we just happened as in Adam-Eve and like garbage stories that forms basis of other religions you mention.

I thought that you were dust before your birth and will be dust after your death. Now you are saying that you come from an amoeba or whatever that existed a billion years ago?! So the one amoeba or paramecium is the great forefather of you, me, Einstein, Guru Nanak and the Buddha, and perhaps we should all once a year pay reverence to it? Just kidding.

But seriously, do you see how this tendency to identify is a problem? You identify with the whole of creation, with being some part, with humanity, with other Sikhs, with animals from the past. It is hard enough with this identification as me, mine and I, it becomes much harder when these become “we”. And you consider this as getting at the Truth?

I don’t deny evolution. I think it is the story about life in this planet we call earth. It simply points at how the planet changed and able to sustain different life forms as time passed. But to identify oneself with the amoeba, the caveman or even one’s own father as means to understand who we are is completely misleading.

That your parents provided one a sperm and the other an egg which resulted in you being born or that this planet at one point had only one single-celled life form and later diversified into a great many different species, says nothing about who “you” actually are. The former only gives us an idea about a particular set of material conditions for birth. This and what happens after, between your parents and you, plays a part in your accumulated tendencies. The latter however, is a story that has absolutely nothing to do with your birth, life or death. On the other hand, this Karma which you consider garbage, explains much of what constitutes life and also what birth and death are. And the important thing is that it actually encourages you to examine your life from moment to moment, whereas the other things you have recourse to, in leading you away from what is "now", in fact encourage more ignorance, attachment, wrong understanding, and as you've shown, also conceit.

And by the way, identification is conceit at work, and strong identification and strong conceit is what madness in fact is.

===
Brother false foundations cannot support a house of truths so do a retrospection. Our Guru jis did and hence Sikhism.

Tell me one Truth that you know and I’ll show you how it’s just a belief.

===
On the other hand, God impresses upon me as the ultimate ego. Whether one identifies with, or thinks oneself as only an insignificant part of, both involve comparing and identification which are expressions of conceit, therefore feeding ego. So the more successful one is in merging with, or loosing oneself into God, it is in fact ego that wins.<>

Poor God! If you were to state that creation can be perversely equated to ego you may have a point. Creation is perhaps laughing at all of us for our stupidities and approaches as we look for the magic key (Karma) or such other magic potions.

Although only as a joke, do you see how you can’t help thinking about God without some level of comparison. And if this is not conceit, what is it?

===
In the mean time the ice age cometh with or without the existence or non-existence of Karma

The problem is in the way you think about the different ideas and theories out there. You end up so identified with those stories that you have no clue as to what is really going on right now.

===
Why so! Because that is consonance and that is creation we are part of. As Luckysingh ji posted, we are just objects none more rare than any other nor can we judge so on behalf of creation.

And you love that particular story. You think that conceit is addressed when you make yourself an insignificant part, just like any other. But conceit in fact is not only when one thinks oneself greater than, but also both when lesser and equal to. Apparently what you consider truth has led you to consistently think in these terms, not only with regard to creation, but other things as well, re: “we” as humanity, as Sikhs, as product of our forefathers, as coming from the amoeba…..

===
The process of aging begins the very moment one opens one's eyes to the world, and all experience falls away constantly, why then perceive anything as beautiful? To do so is a perversion of perception and of view. Matter disintegrates is due to the very nature of matter itself and not some overarching controller. Likewise the phenomena of birth, aging and death, these lie in the fact of realities being *conditioned* and not because it was created and then destroyed by some greater power. The idea of a “super controller” is rooted in the individuals own unwillingness to see that there is no “self” who controls anything.<>

Sikhism supports your observation and debunks your so called “super controller” argument as it only says we are of one and in one creation.

This is what you had said:

Quote:
“Creation churns all to ashes and particles so fine that something totally wonderful could be created all the time”

Now the super controller does not have to be separate from that which it creates and destroys. The idea is that there is a controlling force that reaches out to affect everything. This goes against the understanding that the causes and conditions for the arising of every physical and mental phenomena lie within that very phenomena. Indeed were this not so, then impermanence would not be a general characteristic, there'd have to be something that exists over time both in order to condition something else to arise as well as causing it to fall away.

===
Karma has very specific meanings as I cited before. Why do you have to insist on your own meaning and then try to dismiss it?<>

Confused ji you can keep calling white black till the cows come home. It does not change anything. Your unique view of Karma is not how it is understood by 99.99999+%. You change those 99.99999+% before you change the definition or common prevalent understanding.

Again you are saying here that the majority view is correct. And you are suggesting an impossible and senseless task for me to undertake before you can start to consider my point of view as possibly valid. This reminds me of the simile of the man who attempts to cover the world with leather instead of simply wearing shoes. Why don't you just discuss with me about the concept to find out if in fact I am right or not? Are you having so much fun being the critic that you don't want to know what the Truth is?

===
It not work to call the whole world as wrong. If you want to call your understanding something else perhaps there will be more coincidental, cordial and synergistic dialog.

How can you expect me to call it something else when every part of it impresses upon me as coming from a particular set of teachings, namely the Pali Tipitaka, and this has been attributed to the Buddha? From my point of view it would be silly to call it anything else.

====
I have no idea myself other than to call it as a “model of the brain activity as per rising and falling volitional states conditioned over time that act as catalyst to such states and modify these”. Perhaps you can simplify it.

Your characterization is off the mark. And since as I said above, any characterization by me can be traced back to something written in the Tipitaka, in order to satisfy your wishes, let's just call what I have been saying as “Ism”. How is that?

===
….. You are saying to the effect that anger now is cause and more anger later is the fruit.<>

Confused ji your ability to paraphrase is pretty pathetic considering the italics I have highlighted above. Give people a break they are not as stupid as you may think!

Sorry about that. I actually hesitated a bit since I realized my memory regarding the Pavlov experiment was quite vague. But you have not been precise, so perhaps you can tell me now, what exactly you refer to.

===
This is *not* the cause and effect which is karma and its result. It is formations and its nature to accumulate, which is one aspect of mentality but not Karma. (1)Karma is intention and its (2) result are particular class of consciousness known as resultants.<>

The 1 and 2 I flagged appear to have nothing to do with any definition of Karma I have ever read.

It would be good if we get into a discussion about this. However if you don't wish to, but instead like to continue to express your criticism, then just as you suggested me do with regard to Buddha, you should make it clear that your criticism is directed at only a particular interpretation.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
SP ji,

Confused Ji That's a really good observation ,so does that mean our intention has to do the right thing but without emotion .Ambarsaria too good discourse.

That is not what I was implying. But your question has reminded me of one particular application of the belief in karma, so I’d like to say something more.

When we interact with other beings we do it either with unwholesome state of mind or with wholesome state of mind.
Anger arises when we perceive something that we do not like about the other person. Attachment is when we like. Envy is when you think about the other person’s gain and are averse to it. Conceit is when we compare ourselves with the other person.

On the other hand, when we perceive the other person as friend, this is kindness. When we see the suffering of another and wish to help them, but without any feeling of agitation, this is compassion. When on the other hand, we see someone successful there can be sympathetic joy. And then there is equanimity (which your reference to 'without emotion' reminded me of), this is when you reflect on the fact of each person being “owner of their deeds” or karma and this conditions neutrality of mind.

These four namely, Kindness, Compassion, Sympathetic joy and Equanimity are called the Four Divine Abidings. They are so called because when developed they bring about great peace into the person’s life. Each of these has what is called the near and far enemies. The latter is obvious, whereas the former is often mistaken for the states themselves.

The far enemy of kindness is ill-will; its near enemy is attachment.
The far enemy of compassion is cruelty; its near enemy is grief or pity.
The far enemy of sympathetic joy is aversion and boredom; its near enemy is sensual pleasure.
The far enemy of equanimity is both attachment and aversion; its near enemy is ignorance.

One thing to note is that compassion, sympathetic joy and equanimity, all of these must have kindness at the root. This makes kindness the highest of good (apart from wisdom). But one thing about equanimity is that it can be the state of choice when for example, one perceives another person to suffer, but can't do anything about it. So one accepts the situation based on the idea that each person must face the consequence of his or her own actions, and thereby experiences a stable state mind.

So you see, I have to keep objecting to people's dismissal of karma! ;-)

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Confused Ji

I'm simple, so most of what you say goes over my head, but I can feel we have misunderstand the concept as you understand it,and I commend your kindness in explaining your position in length.Peace

Oct 18, 2012
when something is available in other religions example law of karmas in hinduism, then i notice many of our sikhi people will reject it.. but when something is not available in other religion example gurmat or simran, then we sikhi people usually will recoqnise or approved it.. why we are playing this types of games.. god is everywhere

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
when something is available in other religions example law of karmas in hinduism, then i notice many of our sikhi people will reject it.. but when something is not available in other religion example gurmat or simran, then we sikhi people usually will recoqnise or approved it.. why we are playing this types of games.. god is everywhere

Please explain what God has to do with Karma?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
lollollollol

What a cracker !!!!

This makes me realise that karma doesn't help anyone with the actual God Realisation !!
That's what all our actions should be in aid of.

EXACTLY..its a RED HERRING..what Guru nanak ji calls AVRAA SAADH..useless byways and pathways that lead no where...we are HERE to REALIZE HIM...period.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Luckysingh ji'

lollollollol

What a cracker !!!!

This makes me realise that karma doesn't help anyone with the actual God Realisation !!
That's what all our actions should be in aid of.

Karma is action, and you are suggesting that it be ignored and instead to focus on God Realization for which particular actions be taken. Sounds like a contradiction to me. And like it or not, you are making a case for karma and why due consideration should be given to it. Let me explain.

There is the concept of the Three Rounds, the round of resultant, of defilements and of karma.
On experiencing a pleasant or unpleasant object through one of the five senses, the accumulated defilements are aroused followed by ignorance with attachment, with aversion or with wrong understanding. This happens even now as we sit and read, at the rate of millions of rounds in just one second. And it happens all day, day in and day out.

The sense experiences are results of actions (karma) in the past, the pleasant are of good deeds and the unpleasant of bad deeds. That the defilements are aroused so readily and not wisdom shows how infinitely more ignorance and all its hordes have been accumulated. The unwholesome reactions which follow can be seen as continuing to accumulate the tendency to the same, on and on. And because of this, actions through body, speech and mind of such a degree as to constitute cause (karma) often follow. This is so too when instead of unwholesome actions, wholesome actions such as generosity, moral restraint, compassion and so on arise as they do, from time to time. These are cause for pleasant experience through the five senses, but because wisdom does not arise, the defilements are aroused and unwholesome reactions follow.

And so we can see that there is no end in sight, and why the cycle of birth and death is seen as being endless.

Is this not our life and is not the development of wisdom the only solution?

So what is it really that comes in the way of the correct course of action, the concept of Karma or rather that of God?

When Harcharanjit ji wrote:

Quote:
“when something is available in other religions example law of karmas in hinduism, then i notice many of our sikhi people will reject it.. but when something is not available in other religion example gurmat or simran, then we sikhi people usually will recognize or approved it.. why we are playing this types of games.. god is everywhere”

One might ask why karma is being rejected while simran is encouraged. Karma points to what is here and now, which can be understood, whereas the recitation of an abstract concept, this amounts to no more than ritualistic practice…..

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
One might ask why karma is being rejected while simran is encouraged. Karma points to what is here and now, which can be understood, whereas the recitation of an abstract concept, this amounts to no more than ritualistic practice…..

In the here and now are hundreds of thoughts passing through the mind, some pass by un-noticed, others have an effect on our actions and decisions.

With Simran, you start to detach from these thoughts that:
pa(n)ch dhooth moodd par t(h)aadtae kaes gehae faeraavath hae ||
The five thieves stand over your head and seize you. Grabbing you by your hair, they will drive you on. 821

you say "which can be understood, whereas the recitation of an abstract concept, this amounts to no more than ritualistic practice"

My older brother i would describe as, very humble, loving, has a yearning for mystery, exploration of the unknown, and yearning for God.
I told him that i do simran/meditation on "waheguru" "satnaam" etc...i thought he took no notice.

A few weeks later we were driving back from playing football, and he told me that he started doing Simran whilst lying in bed before he went to sleep, and then went on to describe some potent spiritual experiences...energy flowing through his body, manifestation of light in the minds eye.

For him everything changed from being a ritual to being something he could try, test, evaluate the results...and now he loves simran.

I guess you just have to try it....but don;t forget it won't work if you dont have that inner yearning for god or the pull which is 'grace' in iteself.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Luckysingh ji'

Karma is action, and you are suggesting that it be ignored and instead to focus on God Realization for which particular actions be taken. Sounds like a contradiction to me. And like it or not, you are making a case for karma and why due consideration should be given to it.

Is this not our life and is not the development of wisdom the only solution?

I have not rejected karma and I hope you don't think that I intended to !!
Infact, I accept that karma, free-will, pre-ordained, destiny..etc.. all occur and are dictated under the One Divine Will of Hukam.

Although, it may be slightly off-topic, so I will try not to go off a tangent.
My mention was specifically talking about ''God-realisation''.
In my experience and opinion, one has to work on 'self-realisation' to start with and this is where simran can help you if you try.
I personally don't think that knowing my karma accounts and balance is going to help me 'find myself' or get to the core of ''self-realisation'' !

The whole way I conduct myself with the consequences I am faced with determines my ''self'' and then ''God-realisation''.
I can't see how the reasons or karma influences that give rise to these very consequences can determine how I act and conduct myself !!!

Anyway, the bigger question is probably -
''What is God-Realisation ?""
I'm sure some of us wonder what this exactly is and what does one know or achieve once they have this 'realization' ????

- I reckon we all have our own personal ideas about this, but the one thing that I can say for sure about myself is-

..that, simran has probably helped me into finding myself and gaining some 'self-realisation'. Which in turn will hopefully pave the way towards God-realisation !!

When this God-realisation occurs (with his grace), the largest factor to be realised would be that ''self'' and ''God'' were not that apart or separate anyway!!

One would be able to truly confirm that all the time they felt they were looking for God and trying to realise, He himself was searching and looking for you and now you have both merged and realised !!

You are and were HIM, and he WAS and IS You ALL ALONG. There is NO Duality or Separateness, it's only us that create this within his very own creation.
All the time you were him and he was you !

In my opinion, this is the True Realisation and when this happens then nothing else, be it karma, deeds, actions or reactions..etc.. actually matter and never really did !!!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: