• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Bhagats Who Was The Guru Of Sahib Kabir?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
amarsanghera ji

At least 2 of us are genuinely uncertain what you are asking. Are you asking who is the historical individual "Kabir" and what is the spiritual/religious/literary identity of "Kabir the Bhagat?" Or something along those lines? Biography versus Significance?:confused:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
on same lines

i read in SGGS "Nanak"

who was "Nanak" ?

That question is not as simple. It has more parts to the answer. And the question about Kabir is not easy to begin with.

Maybe someone else can do a good job answering your question about Kabir. Problem is that there is not a lot of credible historical information about Kabir. So we know him mostly through his spiritual/religious/literary contributions in SGGS and in other hymns. Who is Kabir, the historical individual, is clouded in a lot of confusion. Every story it seems is contradicted by another story.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
aad ji

what is history?

is it relevant?

When we read SGGS or creations of others, do we read the works of the Nanak or "Nanak" ?

or Kabir or "Kabir" ?

so again the question-

who was the Guru of Kabir?

or rephrase it who was the Guru of "Kabir" ?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
amarsanghera ji

Now on the road to an answer to your question :happy:You have clarified your question :D I think I understand it now :yes:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Amarsangera Ji
Is it really necessary to know who was Kabir’s Guru? With his own testimony we learn that he was guided by a Guru, it could be a human being; may be a human led him To the Creator awareness and eventually he found Guru within himself with His grace. I have been studying Gurbani for a while now, it never interested me who were all those enlightened ones who are recorded in SGGS Ji because their experience alone fascinates me , inspires me to follow Gurbani. Guru Nanak states clearly he was enlightened by HIM, so his Guru is known as Wahaguru Himself; after having said it, does it matter any more who led them to that spiritual ecstasy? Only fact that important is that they describe that special experience with HIM and it is fascinating. Guru ji’s and other enlightened ones testimonies say it all. What history tells is not hundred percent true, some thing is added unnecessarily and some thing is left out for some one’s choice. To us, Guru Nanak and Bhagat Kabir are there to teach some thing vital for life so why to bother who was” Kabir” when we know Kabir clearly through his hymns. What do you think?:)

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
we know Kabir clearly through his hymns

thank u pk70 ji

this must answer most questions

what do i think?

you sure don't want to know !! :D

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
yes
i think the my question is pretty straight

Who is Kabir ?

Who is the person who was called Kabir?

What is difference between the person called Kabir and Kabir?
:unsure:

From my understanding.

Kabir ji was the son of a poor Muslim weaver (seen as a so called low caste). He was a devout Muslim and also had some good Vashnavite aquaintences.

He saw the death and desctruction that was cause by the invasion of Tarmalane/Timur.

Timur massacred Hindu's en masse:

Something like 200,000 Hindu's were massacred in Delhi and something like 50,000 massacred in Benares (where Kabir Ji lived).

He saw innocent people murdered in the names of Islam. Kabir vehemently criticised the Mullah's for sanctioning this and stated this was against Islam.

His views because very anti-violence and moved towards Vaishnavism. Many of Kabir's shloks should be read in the context of History they were written in.

Read more on Timur:

Memoirs of an Islamist - Timur

Some of Kabir ji's (not all) shloks were incorporated in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. Some of the views of Kabir thaat are not included in Bani seem not compatible with Sikhi, however, Sikhi seeks to find commonality rather than difference.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: