• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Does Meditation Mean In Sikhism?

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
the subject is meditation in Sikhism, the post relates to debate regarding Zazen meditation, my point is that such is not part of Sikhsim,

http://zmm.mro.org/teachings/meditation-instructions/

I do not think I am spiritually dead, perhaps Luckyji or Chazji could comment on the above, do you regard Zazan as compatible within Sikhism?

Harry Haller ji, like Lucky ji in some previous post gave us an wonderful example, that we won't know how the amrit taste without opening the bottle.

Same goes for Zazen Meditation, how can we say it's works or it doesn't work without having it ever tried(Opened the Bottle)?

If that works for Canada ji then thats great. Sikhism isn't there to tell you what practice is haram and what practice is halal. The only thing haram in us are 5 thieves which blind us to see the lord. The five thieves paint an image in our mind we start living in that image and believe that it is the absolute truth.

I don't think someone would say "Hey but you feel connected with god by doing Zazen meditation which very anti Sikhi, so you don't have any experience about god"

Harry Ji there are different roads which lead to Rome. If there is a way that seems work for someone then who are we to complain. I know that this is an Sikhi forum however tips from outside Sikhi also can help, we should try to open the bottle and taste the amrit in it, we should stop judging the bottle before even having tasted its content.

The love for god. So powerful and yet so beautiful. Reading about how Guru's and Bhagats loved the lord and what they are were willing to give away is very heartwarming.

"O Raven, you have searched my skeleton, and eaten all my flesh. But please do not touch these eyes as I hope to behold my Beloved. (91) (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 1382)"

Oh, lord please help me, the Raven eat all my flesh and including my eyes, oh lord have mercy on this fool, let me who isn't worth to be called your servant atleast be the dust of your wonderful feets. My lord I live in utter darkness oh lord please guide me. There is nothing more I wish, and ever will ask. Oh my dear father I'm like a fish who keeps getting his Fins eaten and can't cross the ocean. And your so wonderful you are giving me each time new wonderful Fins but I'm stupid fool that gets your given Fins eaten everytime.

Last edited:

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Gurmatt is what we are supposed to follow..so there is NO PROVISION for..what works for ???? what doesnt work for ??? etc etc..there is ONLY GURMATT. Period. Gurmatt is in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji because its GURU. Period.

Lets not be fooled by "ROOP" either..see this..such a huge mismatch between ROOP and Language..whewwwwwwwwwwwwwww. The Picture is REAL, the profile is REAL and the language used is REAL.

Gyani ji what does that person say in the picture?

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Harmanpreet Singh ji wrote (Re: kggr001):
that's a lovely post from a teen ! Meditation/Dhyaan/Simran/Remembrance is central to Sikhi.

I can't believe kggr001 is only 19, almost quarter my age, and such maturity and passion for Sikhi - just amazing. The same applies to Abneet Singh who, from one of his posts, I gather is still in school/college. At their age I was more interested in Cinema, Punjabi songs, film songs, ghazals, qwaallies amongst other things. I am out of these now, thanks to Sri Guru Granth Sahib JI. However, Sangeet, in the form of kirtan, is still my passion, and musical notes merged with Gurbani is pure bliss. Guru's message translated into action is the best way forward for any Sikh.

Kggr001 and Abneet Singh jios, you have my best wishes on your path of Sikhi and may you scale greater heights of spiritual bliss and a fulfilling life.

Rajinder Singh 'Arshi'

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I do not think I am spiritually dead, perhaps Luckyji or Chazji could comment on the above, do you regard Zazan as compatible within Sikhism?

I'm not sure my friend..will need to research into this stuff...

i think the world labels their spiritual practice with many names...different types of yogas, meditations, postures or whatever...sometimes the exact same method can have different names...and people swear by their named method..

but i think behind the names, the methods, the same thing is at work...
that same thing no one really understands (God) and they then come out (Ego) to the public and say "my method works....this is the way"...

but what they don;t maybe realize is, that chuck all the methods out the window, and what they are all probably doing is yearning for God in quite an intense way...and it is that yearning and love that actually made their spiritual progress...

yes i meditate on the gurmanter...and other shabads like Satnaam, or full shabads in Gurbani...

would i change this to anything else...no..
because when something is working wonders...you keep things simple and just continue with that...maybe its the method...maybe it;s nothing to do with the method...or maybe it has a little to do with the method...i just don;t know...but it;s working :) and thats good enough for me...

gurbani doesn't mention the benefits of body building or trying various types of exercises...so if i do some Zumba classes and claim it helps with my Simran...is that against sikhi?

i think various things can help in ones overall progression...i think a Sikh should look after His/Her body, with the aim to be of benefit to society and to use the body and all its treasure to connect back with the source...

BUT as a sikh, Gurbani is my link from the Guru Ji's back to the ultimate source...as long as i know that, acknowledge it, and act upon it, the other things i may indulge in will hopefully not pull me off the path.

not sure if any of the above makes any sense...just rambling on..ignore if i wondered into absolute confusion...

:)

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
I'm not sure my friend..will need to research into this stuff...

i think the world labels their spiritual practice with many names...different types of yogas, meditations, postures or whatever...sometimes the exact same method can have different names...and people swear by their named method..

that same thing no one really understands (God) and they then come out (Ego) to the public and say "my method works....this is the way"...

but what they don;t maybe realize is, that chuck all the methods out the window, and what they are all probably doing is yearning for God in quite an intense way...and it is that yearning and love that actually made their spiritual progress...

yes i meditate on the gurmanter...and other shabads like Satnaam, or full shabads in Gurbani...

would i change this to anything else...no..
because when something is working wonders...you keep things simple and just continue with that...maybe its the method...maybe it;s nothing to do with the method...or maybe it has a little to do with the method...i just don;t know...but it;s working :) and thats good enough for me...

gurbani doesn't mention the benefits of body building or trying various types of exercises...so if i do some Zumba classes and claim it helps with my Simran...is that against sikhi?

i think various things can help in ones overall progression...i think a Sikh should look after His/Her body, with the aim to be of benefit to society and to use the body and all its treasure to connect back with the source...

BUT as a sikh, Gurbani is my link from the Guru Ji's back to the ultimate source...as long as i know that, acknowledge it, and act upon it, the other things i may indulge in will hopefully not pull me off the path.

not sure if any of the above makes any sense...just rambling on..ignore if i wondered into absolute confusion...

:)

Very nice post ji :D

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Chaz Singh writes:

Could you please quote the full Shabads from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji with your own understanding justifying your claims above?

Or are your claims from some other resources? If they are please quote them.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Chaz Singh writes:

Could you please quote the full Shabads from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji with your own understanding justifying your claims above?

Or are your claims are from some other resources? If they are please quote them.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Ji,

Harry Ji asked me what my thoughts were....nothing more...

never the less i will try to seek some pointers from Gurbani and post ji..

God Bless

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant Ji,

Harry Ji asked me what my thoughts were....nothing more...

never the less i will try to seek some pointers from Gurbani and post ji..

God Bless

Chaz Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

As they are your thoughts and yourself being a Sikh, these thoughts about Sikhi values should relate to the teachings of our Gurus in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru.

What do you think?

Regards

Tejwant Singh

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Chaz Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

As they are your thoughts and yourself being a Sikh, these thoughts related to Sikhi should relate to the teachings of our Gurus in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru.

What do you think?

Regards

Tejwant Singh

yes ji, of course...

but they still remain my thoughts don't they?

if i claim them to be anything other than that, then i am claiming to know the deepest level of Gian from first hand experience of Gurbani within my very being

i would be a fool to claim that... :)

but of course i can try to give you some quotes based on my limited understanding, so i will at least try. Will be in the morning now...

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Chaz Singh writes:

Or are your claims from some other resources? If they are please quote them.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant ji, what do you want to know about ChazSingh ji's post, it's kinda unclear since it's a large quote.
Do you want to know about love and yearning or something else that ChazSingh ji stated, sorry it's really unclear to me :p

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
yes ji, of course...

but they still remain my thoughts don't they?

if i claim them to be anything other than that, then i am claiming to know the deepest level of Gian from first hand experience of Gurbani within my very being

i would be a fool to claim that... :)

but of course i can try to give you some quotes based on my limited understanding, so i will at least try. Will be in the morning now...

Chaz Singh ji,

That is not the point. I am just seeking the Sikhi point of view in your thoughts from you because as mentioned earlier, this thread is related to Sikhi.

I will wait for them to educate myself.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant ji, what do you want to know about ChazSingh ji's post, it's kinda unclear since it's a large quote.
Do you want to know about love and yearning or something else that ChazSingh ji stated, sorry it's really unclear to me :p

kggr001 ji,

Guru Fateh.

Please let Chaz Singh handle this as they are his posts and my questions about them are directed to him. He did say he would respond about my queries tomorrow. Let's wait for them.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver

Don't have too much knowledge about this zen meditation. But as long as it can help maintain that 'One-pointedness' -steady state of mind, then I wouldn't condemn it.

It doesn't matter if you sit or stand, cross your legs or not, breath slowly or rapicdly, wear full bana or not...etc..... What matters is that you can maintain that degree of single-pointed focus in Mind and a Centred consciousness.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Don't have too much knowledge about this zen meditation. But as long as it can help maintain that 'One-pointedness' -steady state of mind, then I wouldn't condemn it.

It doesn't matter if you sit or stand, cross your legs or not, breath slowly or rapicdly, wear full bana or not...etc..... What matters is that your Mind can maintain that degree of single-pointed focus in Mind and centred consciousness.

Lucky ji,

Guru Fateh,

Pardon my ignorance, but I am a bit confused by what you are trying to say above. No one is condemning anything but we are trying to differentiate the different practices among many religions and they can not be all lumped up together otherwise there would not be any need for different schools of thought.

Let's take your argument on its face value for a second or two. If what you are saying is to be true, then there would not have been any need for our Sikh Gurus and other Sikhs to give their lives so justice could be served to all. Then we would not need Sikhi and would not have the need to call ourselves Sikhs- students, learners, seekers.

Your stance seems to be the same as of the Corn lobby in the US who wants to name Corn Syrup as Corn Sugar so the public would not know the difference.

Of course many religions teach similar things but Sikhi is unique in many ways.

No Hell, No Heaven, No Reincarnation, No absurd rituals like Fasting, Hajj, Pilgrimages, Dips in holy waters to purify oneself with and last but not the least, no Clergy which means each of us is The Pope/Popa of Sikhi.

Tejwant Singh

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Lucky ji,

Guru Fateh,

Pardon my ignorance, but I am a bit confused by what you are trying to say above. No one is condemning anything but we are trying to differentiate the different practices among many religions and they can not be all lumped up together otherwise there would not be any need for different schools of thought.

Let's take your argument on its face values for a second or two. If what you are saying is to be true, then there would not have been any need for our Sikh Gurus and other Sikhs to give their lives so justice could be served to all. Then we would not need Sikhi and would not have the need to call ourselves Sikhs- students, learners, seekers.

Your stance seems to be the same as of the Corn lobby in the US who wants to name Corn Syrup as Corn Sugar so the public would not know the difference.

Of course many religions teach similar things but Sikhi is unique in many ways.

No Hell, No Heaven, No Reincarnation, No absurd rituals like Fasting, Hajj, Pilgrimages, Dips in holy waters to purify oneself with and last but not the least, no Clergy which means each of us is The Pope/Popa of Sikhi.

Tejwant Singh

Sikhi does talk about reincarnation. Thats undeniable. Guru's even warn us so many time.
Also it doesn't matter what practice one followes the goal is to be one with the lord.

The lords resides in everyone, however that person heart doesn't reside with god. Guru's were willing to give everything away to find there friend.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sikhi does talk about reincarnation.

Yes, Sikhi does talk about reincarnation in many Shabads because of the deeply held beliefs of this in Hinduism but in no Shabad does it claim it to be a Sikhi trait/belief but rather to the contrary.

Please post the whole Shabad with your own understanding where you think Sikhi believes in reincarnation.

You may also find many threads on the subject of reincarnation on SPN to help you out with.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
Yes, Sikhi does talk about reincarnation in many Shabads because of the deeply held beliefs of this in Hinduism but in no Shabad does it claim it to be a Sikhi trait/belief but rather to the contrary.

Please post the whole Shabad with your own understanding where you think Sikhi believes in reincarnation.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

Just curious, If Sikhi doesn't believe in reincarnation then what do we believe happens to us afterlife...?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: