Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Undermining Sikhism

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by BhagatSingh, Apr 15, 2009.

1. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

Ignoring what I have written above and below the actual content...:D read on!

Aad ji, You mentioned in another part of the forum that one of the rules is to not "Undermine Sikhism".
    I wanted to ask and thought this would be the perfect place to do so.
    How would one go about "undermining Sikhism"?
    By Sikhism if one means the organized Religion including the rehit and Dasam Granth, then I believe I have already done that along with many other members on the forum.
    By Sikhism, if one means the teachings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, then how do you undermine them???

I need clarification on this, and perhaps others do as well.

Thanks
    Bhagat ​

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Christianity Is Science Undermining Early Christian and Jewish Beliefs Interfaith Dialogues Apr 28, 2012
    Opinion Undermining Free Will Breaking News Jan 9, 2012
    Islam Muslim schools accused of 'undermining our society Interfaith Dialogues Jan 19, 2005
    Interfaith Religion In Sikhism Interfaith Dialogues Wednesday at 7:50 PM
    Hard Talk Is Sikhism A Organised 'religion' ? And If So Is That Antithetical To The Teaching Of Gurmat? Hard Talk Nov 27, 2016

3. dalsingh

dalsingh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Bhagat, just be careful to tred gently when faith is concerned. Some Sikhs are prone to go nuts when you challenge fundamental beliefs. I think you need to put your questions more prudently lest you court unneccesary (can never spell that word!!) controversy and provoke anger.

Just be smooth and don't "arrh" (the Panjabi word) on issues.

• Like Like x 2
  4. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Bhagat ji

I agree with Dalsingh ji and would add this. Do not respond constantly with lawyer-like questions every time someone posts a response. Let the members speak their minds. If you really want an answer to your questions then do not fence with the membership.

Sit back and see what the answers and opinions are.

• Like Like x 2
  5. friend

friend
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

how can the 5th largest and striclty practiced religion be undermined.

• Like Like x 2
  6. dalsingh

dalsingh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Yeah Bhagat!!

Further to Aad jis post. If you are that way inclined you should be studying law not "doctori"!

New Panjabi word I learnt recently "kasoori" = argument.

Aahmay nah kasoori pa!

• Like Like x 1
  7. pk70

pk70
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

I think its "bhathoori" not kasoori, if mistyped, forgive me.:)

8. friend

friend
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I think both of them, can mean arguement.:p

9. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

What about a combination of the two, a Bhasoorhi? I think that is a real word.

I think I do "Arrh" sometimes.

I think what has been said so far generally goes for society (up in person) as well as the forums. I HAVE been told by an anti-social Sikh fellow that I am pretty anti-social. :D

Great adive! Aad ji I am going to apply yours right now, and wait for more responses before I ask why noone bothered to answer the question besides friend who seems to have ignored it!!!! :}--}:
    kidding... :D I totally understand what you mean. I think its because I lack patience, which is SO werid because I work on huge paintings that REQUIRE a great deal of patience! I seriously lack the ability to learn about myself FROM myself so its very imporant for me to hear what others have to say about me.
    Great adive so far guys!:)

DalSingh ji, you're right I don't think I could be a family doctor.
    "what do you mean you're sick, why do you think so? what evidence do you have? from what source did you get this from? when they said this they meant something else!!" - Bhagat Singh, perhaps-in-the-near-future AD

10. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Happy face -- icons not working -

11. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

Bhagat Singh ji, you have spared no opportunity ridiculing the Sikh Bana and belittling Sikh Gurus in your messages but quite surprisingly you paint all the Sikh personalities in full bana and attire... and as per your writings and imagination, they should all be clean shaven and what not... your words do not support your paintings... how about creating a portrait of Baba Deep Singh ji without a Turban and without a flowing beard...? You see its all acceptable in the name of freedom of expression!! right? :)

And then you are making money out of selling such glorified portaits of such an important peronsalities in Sikh history... you are doing this only for money then it is quite apprent as your writings suggest little impression that you are creating these images out love and respect for these personalities... even if you have some respect for them then it does reflect in your messages...

People who shamelessly maintain double standards are undermining Sikhism. :welcome:
    Bhul Chuk Maaf

• Like Like x 6
  12. Huck_Finn

Huck_Finn
    Expand Collapse
    (previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
    SPNer

i think Bhagat Singh's question remains unanswered.

What has he undermined?

1 or 2 ?

13. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

Dear Aman Singh ji
    It would lead me nowhere if I simply read this and say OK i am wrong when I don't see where I am wrong.
    It would be just as stupid of me, to read and this try and quote posts where I haven't riduculed or to say things like " I think Bana is cool" when you feel in other posts I have said the opposite.
    Therefore, I humbly ask you to honestly list the posts on this thread where you felt that I had done what you accuse me of.
    - so I can explain myself and clarify any misconceptions that may exist
    - so that I can change for the better
    - so that others can see examples of undermining sikhism because that is what this thread is about

Thank you for your patience. I admire it.

Amarsanghera ji
    Thanks for pointing that out.

14. pk70

pk70
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

Reread Aman Ji's post, its crystal clear.:rolleyes:

15. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

The explanation to your 'questions', i will leave to your conscious. :)

16. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

Aman Singh ji,
    Is that in response to my post?
    Never mind.

17. BhagatSingh

BhagatSingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer sikhiart.com

Dear Aman Singh ji,

OK you have edited your response that helps. I actually dont agree with any of your accusations. I think about it and continue to do so but no matter how much I think I cannot agree with it. My concious does not tell me that they are true either.
    Just take one of my recent posts. I'll show you in plain colour how I have tried to argue from both sides. red is where I am argued against "bana" and blue is where I have spoken for it.
    That green is why you see Sikhs in my paintings with full bana.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/24540-the-five-ks-why-2.html#post98160
    The post after this: http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/24540-the-five-ks-why-2.html#post98163

This post (and the one after it with the passages) only analyzes what we know, and I don't know how you can come to a certain conclusions about MY FEEELINGS towards something. Feelings should have no place in such dicussions because they lead the discussions away from its essence.
    But since you have brought it up, I have very strong feelings for keeping of uncut hair, and for the dress code of Sikhs during those wars I paint. With litle uncertainity, I do believe that Baba Deep Singh and sikhs like him did follow the rehit laid down by Guru Gobind Singh. This is why I painted him with full bana.
    But I know Mati Das ji ( that's one example) did not follow the rehit so the length of his hair is upto the artist's imagination. And the artist is no way SHOULD be obligated to paint him with long uncut hair and such.
    You are essentially confusing historical situation and present day situation. I am keeping them separate, painting history how I percieve it is and accordig to my knowledge, and presenting my arguments on the forum based on how those things apply now.

So that's about the bana; um .. I don't know if I have ever belittled the Gurus. I remember once I said they probably couldn't dance in response to the "Dancing and Gurbani" posts. if you think that's belittling the Gurus then there is nothing I can do. its a plain comment on their lifestlye, and its a very UNCERTAIN comment. but I do remember that such statements are not adding to the discussion so did I not stop and apologise??

Therefore, I conclude that what you have accused me of is simply not true. Its more of an emotional accusation than anything, with no basis. This emotion has been brought to my attention (by other members), and I can only TRY to be more sensitive to such topics.

With utmost sincerity,
    Bhagat

18. Archived_Member4

Archived_Member4
    Expand Collapse

This is so far from the Truth. Take a look at the thread: 'Manmukh or Gurmukh: Can mind serve as spiritual authority?'
    http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-youth/24321-manmukh-gurmukh-can-mind-serve-spiritual.html

also here; http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/24315-hair-9.html

also in this thread http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/interfaith-dialogues/23677-dancing-and-gurbani.html

19. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Once again the thread is becoming a two-way argument between two forum members. The thread is going downhill. Posts have been removed. Return to the subject of the thread. The last question asked was "Can mind serve as a spiritual authority?" aad0002

20. Huck_Finn

Huck_Finn
    Expand Collapse
    (previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
    SPNer

pk70 ji

sadly it did not seem clear to me.

I think Bhagat asked the question very objectively and clearly.

The answer was not clear and objective, but deductive and based on own perception of other person's posts and intentions.

might be my shortcoming in grasping the language or anything.

apologies anyways !

• Like Like x 1
  21. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

Amar ji, We just can't jump in from here or there and seek clarification on a matter that we ain't got a clue? :) May be you visited SPN after a while... this topic was a kind culmination of various off topic posts in various threads... i hope that made sense... :)