• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Told DAD That Meat Is NOT Forbidden, And He Gets ANGRY!

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
There are those for whom appearance, ritual, doing the things that must be done, are hugely important, even more important than cultivating wisdom, knowledge and understanding.

My dear brother Harry ji peacesignkaur

"...To seek God by rituals is to get the ritual and lose God in the process, for he hides behind it. On the other hand, to seek God without artifice, is to take him as he is, and so doing, a person 'lives by the Word,' and is the Life itself..."

- Meister Eckhart (1260-1328)

Singh12

SPNer
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks for your input everyone.

Though Vuton From what I've read, Catholic is a Corrupt form of Christianity? So reading someone else's views like the catholic vicor, may have nothing to do with the bible

Though I could be wrong due to my ignorance , as I haven't done much research on the matter

but for example what is with the pope being the 'leader'

also the UK's pope looks like a devilish peadophile, And yes I know what I've just said Is me speaking from my Judgmental Ego, and could be totally wrong

But my point jus bein I don't know how valid catholic views are, and Id need to do research on original Christianity and see their views on meat

Singh12

SPNer
Jun 12, 2012
308685_10150345906628493_512568492_8075487_1198277801_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
My dear brother Singh ji peacesignkaur

Thank you for your posts and much peace to you.

I am currently writing from my mobile phone in a shopping centre so please forgive me I write a little less clear than usual - I will reply to you more fully later today.

In terms of the Catholic Church I would say that it is actually the oldest form of Christianity currently in existence. If you study it somewhat you will find out that the name 'catholic' was in use as early as the late first century to refer to the community of believers that followed Jesus. Saint Ignatius in the early second century for example calls himself a Catholic and says that he belongs to the Catholic Church.

In terms of the pope I would say that one should remember that the Catholic Church runs more hospitals, charities, schools etc than any other institution in the world. Pope Pius X who died in 1914 is famous for having said, 'I was born poor I am poor and I will die poor'. He literally died with no possesions except loafer shoes. Absolute poverty is one of the vows that one takes when they join a Catholic order duch as the Franciscans, Dominicans or Jesuits. It is highly prized in my religion to give up wealth so as to live solely for the sick, poor and needy.

The seat that you see the pope sitting on in that picture is not a private possession but rather a very ancient seat that was gifted to the church he is in many hundreds of years ago. It is an artefact owned by the place he is sitting in doing a speech.

the pope himself owns very few possesions and lives a very simple life as a scholar and intellectusl.
Btw I think that poster was made by evangelical protestants as a slur against pope benedict

Also there is no UK pope. The pope is German and lives in the Vatican City State in Rome lol

Wow that was difficult lol my advice is dont try and type on your phone

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Kamala ji,

I don't think sacrifices are great either, I never said I liked it. Stop twisting my words :p

You were making a point of the desirability of not eating meat. So when you said:

“Shakta may do sacrifice, but they do not eat it after.”

It appeared that you approve of sacrifice. If the Shakta is right in not eating the meat, then they must be right in sacrificing the animal too. I of course think that they are wrong in sacrificing animals and also wrong in then thinking that not eating the meat is a good thing.

besides, killing for a human is a waste, but if it is for a divine being I am sure you would sacrifice for waheguru ji if he asked. Not saying the devi(S) asked.

Killing is wrong no matter what the reason. But see how perverted the view becomes when one refers to God for guidance instead of trying to understand the nature of the act itself?

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Harry ji,

As a Buddhist, you have your own take on life, and I completely respect that, but I am not a Buddhist, and as such, I do not feel limited by the concepts of aversion and attachment.

So what you are saying is that I am limited by Buddhist concepts in interpreting my experiences and don't realize that in reality things can be different? I wouldn't respect me for this!

To feel love, as well as feeling unpleasant about it, is not a hugely alien concept for a lot of people, for instance falling in love the wrong person, or for a gay man to fall in love with another man, because society validates everything we do (unless you reject society), this blessing from society can make many things unpleasant. For anyone with fetishes, again, to love will always have the tinge of unpleasantness about it.

Please note that I am pointing to moments of consciousness which rises and falls away at the rate of trillions in one finger snap. This means that many different states can alternate in what seems to us like an instant. Your own example, “falling in love with the wrong person” points to the fact that love is one experience, the perception of a person another, and that person being wrong yet another. So you are not talking about what happens in one mind moment, but a “situation” which can only be a concept and not a reality. But I did point to the same kind of process in my previous message. Does this mean then that you do not agree with this? But before you answer, consider the following:

Quote:
Attachment has the characteristic of grasping an object like “monkey lime”. Its function is sticking, like meat put in a hot pan. It is manifested as not giving up, like the dye of lamp-black. Its proximate cause is seeing enjoyment in things ….<end quote>

Does it make sense to you that there would be grasping of an object which is unpleasant? One desires an object because the experience is accompanied by pleasant feeling re: the proximate cause. And one hates an object when it arouses unpleasant feelings,

Quote:
“proximate cause of aversion are “grounds for annoyance, like urine mixed with poison””.

A masochist does what he does not because he likes the pain, but because the pain triggers pleasure. That someone continues to live with a person he or she dislikes may be due precisely to not being able to sort out one’s thoughts and feelings, as it is with all of us to a lesser or greater degree much of the time.

OK, I hate front wheel drive cars, I positively loathe them, in fact, if we are talking about a car with all the hated characteristics, then it would be a two door, front wheel drive, diesel, in yellow, with no cd player, a noise when you dont put the belt on, and a complicated start system that involves pressing the clutch in, pressing a button, whilst headbutting another button, oh, and a manual gearbox. This car I would love to hate. I would get excited at the prospect of hating it, I would crunch its gears and rev it up, delighting in the painful howl of protest, I would hide rotten fish under its seats, pour jam into its engine, .. I think you get the picture,. hatred can be enjoyable without attachment/aversion.

Hating something and the idea of hating it are two different experiences. In your case, the latter is conditioned by attachment accompanied by pleasant feeling.

I can only base this on my own animals, Dan, my dog, I have never seen in a condition of restlessness, if we take a starting time of say 9pm. At 9pm I am normally watching south park, and Dan is normally sat at the window watching the fox. He will spend till around 10pm being teased by the fox, and generally running between the living room and the garden whilst getting more frustrated until, depending on his mood, he will give up and come to bed, or headbutt the window, smashing it (3 panes this month). He will then jump on the bed, and wriggle in between the two of us until he has his head near my knee, and his feet in my face. When I wake up, Dan will have migrated to the end of the bed where he lies on his back with his legs in the air. Wife feeds him at around 9am, and then he watches TV, licks the cat, runs to talk to the ferrets, his favourite place is in bed with my wife and the cat, and three of them sit there all day watching tv and eating ice cream, I have to confess Confusedji, I have never noticed my dog to be not at peace, I mean, he can lick his own genitals!.

Each writer of stories will be revealing his own prevailing view and mood.
Restlessness is a mental state not measured by any outward behavior. Someone listening to a particular music will outwardly appear still and serene. In truth however, being that he’d be listening with attachment, there is restlessness all the way through.

Restlessness is a mental factor which accompanies all unwholesome states. There is restlessness with attachment, with wrong understanding, conceit, aversion, envy, guilt, sloth, torpor, miserliness, doubt and so on. Free of restlessness are the wholesome states including, wisdom, generosity, kindness, compassion, faith, sympathy, equanimity, respect, mindfulness, moral shame and such.

You either have to insist that your dog experiences the wholesome states most of the time or that the Buddha was limited in his knowledge about such things, and that I am someone who follows his teachings unthinkingly like sheep.

I would admit one thing though, that after hearing the Buddha’s description of reality and having some glimpse with regard to my own ignorance, I began to not take the impressions about my own experiences seriously. You could say that as time passed, I started to see more and more how ignorant I am and how little the ability to discriminate correctly, one experience from another. Would you suggest that I lack confidence or something?

Confusedji, I am a Sikh, and therefore we all have the same Karma, as I believe this is my one and only life.

Are you saying that you disagree with the often stated idea here on SPN, that human beings according to Sikhism are superior to animals? I don't understand your reference to Karma and why you then state that this is your one and only life?

Superiority has no relevance here, I can do things Dan cannot do, Dan can do things I can only dream of, he is a dog, I am a human. It is interesting to note that I look upon Dan as a Sikh dog, and he has been brought up that way. It is interesting to note that depressives are normally quite intelligent people, some might say the more intelligent, the easier it is to question so much it brings you down. Dan does not question, he is brave, polite, he treats every other living animal with respect, once, while chasing rabbits, he cornered a baby one. I ran after him and found him looking at this rabbit, he looked around at me with a look of utter confusion, clearly like a lot of people, having chased something and obtained it, he had no idea what to do with it. Dan turned round to the baby rabbit, and gently started licking it and nuzzling it, and then ran off.

Well, I was asking with regard particularly to the idea of “consonance”. Do you not consider this the goal and therefore sign of success as a human being? If so, would not a dog than be considered more “successful” than a human being? And given that he does it without having to learn how to do it, does this not point to it being in fact a superior life form?

How do you come to see that your dog has respect and is polite?

I think it is a curse or a blessing depending on how you deal with it.
Let’s say you could have any car in the world you wanted, or that you had the resources to build your own, some would buy the car of their dreams, and they would be happy. Some would build their own, but not all would be happy. Some would fail miserably even given free choice on the components, some would be ecstatic at the end result.

The context was your statement:

“with all our intelligence and abilities, finding consonance is supremely easier for a dog than it is for a human.”

Now, being that consonance is the ultimate goal for a human being, and animals achieve this easily, does not your suggestion above point to the fact that the human being’s ability to think is a hindrance / disadvantage?

An animal would buy a Bentley, an enlightened human would build a dream machine, and the rest of us would make a complete pigs ear. That is the danger of choice, of being human, of being happy enough to shoot into the sky like the brightest star, or of being miserable enough to drive into your house wishing it could all end now, of going to university and ticking off all your goals, of learning moderation, being aware of consonance, or of spending all day dirty, filthy, penniless, in a stinking pit of drugs and vice, the choice is ours,

The choice is yours, so how come you can't become enlightened or achieve consonance whenever you want? How come a lion often fails to catch its prey? How come your dog can't do anything about your being late in feeding him? How come when you are sick, you can't get well just by wishing it? How come you get angry even though you know that it is not good? You love your wife, can you decide not to love her and see it happen? Can I ask you to stop believing in God? Can you refrain from thinking about me while reading this response? Can you choose not to be able to make a choice?

and it has nothing to do with previous lives, sins of our fathers, and everything to do with just how seriously we view the gift of choice, or the ability to discern, sometimes I wish I had been born an animal, then I would not the have the responsibility of free thought, I could just buy a Bentley, instead of trying to build my own and failing every time.

So do you have a choice or you don’t?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
You're wrong, to be a 100% Sikh you have to be Amritdhari, sehaj dhari doesn't mean anything since you are just BORN a Sikh aka no choice.. now even a white person can say they are sehajdhari even though they may be born in a diff religion. Like the 5ks do not mean anything to them..

Errr no. Anyone can call themselves a Sikh, but if you are defining a Sikh as per Sikh Rehat Maryada, then THAT is a different matter.:whatzpointkudi:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Errr no. Anyone can call themselves a Sikh, but if you are defining a Sikh as per Sikh Rehat Maryada, then THAT is a different matter.:whatzpointkudi:

Randipji,

SRM definition of a Sikh is still quite broad, namely

Sikh Reht Maryada

SIKH CODE OF CONDUCT AND CONVENTIONS
Section One

CHAPTER 1
The Definition of Sikh :

Article I
Any human being who faithfully believes in
i. One Immortal Being,
ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,
iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,
iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and
v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh

in fact reading the last line about allegiance to any other religion, clearly Kamalaji is not a Sikh as per SRM.

Nov 23, 2010
You're wrong, to be a 100% Sikh you have to be Amritdhari, sehaj dhari doesn't mean anything since you are just BORN a Sikh aka no choice.. now even a white person can say they are sehajdhari even though they may be born in a diff religion. Like the 5ks do not mean anything to them..
Even a white person ????????? Correct me If I'm wrong but in my reading of Gurbani I haven't come across a single reference to skin color.
By the way,Yes, I'm white and yes I keep the 5Ks (turban only for Gurdwara though) I'm not amritdhari.At this point I guess you could call me sehajdhari though I prefer just plain Sikh. When I first read the SRM, I thought" oh I guess that makes me a Sikh".
When you decide to disavow the hindu religion you can too.

NZSingh97

SPNer
Sep 24, 2012
Wanganui, New Zealand
i for on agree with kamaliji. You need the 5ks to be a TRUE sikh to be part of the Khalsa. Luckily I have been blessed with wahegurus name and kakaars at a young age and also very good sangat to teach me what i need to know :). Also with the meat thing. I guess theres evidence for both sides of the argument, but in Shri Guru Granth Sahib it mentions alot how lucky we are to get this life and have a chance to merge with waheguru. Why risk this just for the pleasure of yourself just so you can have some meat. In the end what if u had done everything right just you had decided to eat meat and due to this you have to go through 8.4million more lifes as various species. Sounds like a waste of a very rare life to me....................

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
In the end what if u had done everything right just you had decided to eat meat and due to this you have to go through 8.4million more lifes as various species

I agree, I knew a man who all his life did good but just before he died he fancied to eat a quarter pounder,and someone got it for him ,what a waste of a life !

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
i for on agree with kamaliji. You need the 5ks to be a TRUE sikh to be part of the Khalsa. Luckily I have been blessed with wahegurus name and kakaars at a young age and also very good sangat to teach me what i need to know :). Also with the meat thing. I guess theres evidence for both sides of the argument, but in Shri Guru Granth Sahib it mentions alot how lucky we are to get this life and have a chance to merge with waheguru. Why risk this just for the pleasure of yourself just so you can have some meat. In the end what if u had done everything right just you had decided to eat meat and due to this you have to go through 8.4million more lifes as various species. Sounds like a waste of a very rare life to me....................

What if God gets angry at you for NOT eating meat? Muslims, Christians, Jews, Shatkaism, Shamanism, some sects of Buddhism, etc etc all believe in eating meat. Some say it essential.

My brother you can't argue this. THIS is BLACKMAIL. Waheguru does not Blackmail us. Waheguru says do what YOU think is right!!!:singhsippingcoffee:

Ahiyapuri

SPNer
Oct 20, 2012
Hi
See a video Meet your meat" on the youtube and tell us if you still think meat gives you any energy. According to science we get 10% of the energy from the food source. So when goats eat the plants and then we eat goat we get 1/100 of plants energy. Your dad is more scientific than you.:)

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Hi
See a video Meet your meat" on the youtube and tell us if you still think meat gives you any energy. According to science we get 10% of the energy from the food source. So when goats eat the plants and then we eat goat we get 1/100 of plants energy. Your dad is more scientific than you.:)

Actually we don't. The energy source of protein in meat is concerntrated. Your logic and pseudo science is flawed: :whatzpointsing:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/547226-which-gives-you-more-energy-meat-or-vegetables/

<section class="section"> You might count calories as part of a weight-loss diet without fully understanding what a calorie is and how it works. A calorie is a unit of energy. It takes 1 "large calorie" to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of pure water by 1 degree Celsius. Food calories are measured in large calories. Each calorie you eat has energy-producing potential for your body. Higher-calorie foods provide more energy than lower-calorie foods. Your body stores any extra calories you consume as fat.
</section> <section class="section"> Calories

Any type of meat has more calories than virtually any type of vegetable, as long as the serving sizes weigh the same.This means that if you eat the same amount of each by weight, you'll get more energy -- or calories -- from eating meat than you will from eating vegetables. For example, a 3-ounce serving of lean sirloin steak has 180 calories, while a 3-ounce serving of green-leaf lettuce has only 13 calories.
</section> Sponsored Links
Smoothie Diepvriesconcept Totaal concept incl blender + promo voor verse Smoothies in de Horeca www.freshfruitexpress.nl

<section class="section"> Protein

The calories in meat come from protein and fat, while vegetables generally have little to no protein and fat. Protein has 4 calories per gram. A 3-ounce, 85-gram portion of sirloin steak has 25 grams of protein, or 100 calories from protein. The same serving size of lettuce has 1 gram of protein, providing 4 calories. Protein takes time for your body to break down and digest, potentially making you feel fuller longer.
</section> <section class="section"> Fat

A lean, 3-ounce piece of sirloin steak has 8.2 grams of fat, including 3 grams of unhealthy saturated fat. Fat has 9 calories per gram, making it the most energy-dense source of fuel for your body. You'll get 80 calories from fat by eating 3 ounces of sirloin steak. The same serving size of lettuce offers close to zero grams of fat, yielding virtually no energy from this fuel source.
</section> <section class="section"> Carbohydrates

Meat has no carbohydrates, while most vegetable calories come from carbohydrates. Carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram. Your body prefers to use carbohydrates as its main source of energy, as explained by MayoClinic.com. A 3-ounce serving of lettuce provides almost 10 calories from carbohydrates. Starchier vegetables have more carbohydrates. For example, a 3-ounce portion of baked potato has 79 calories and 18 grams of carbohydrates.
</section> <section class="section"> Suggestions

Because meat is more calorically dense than vegetables, a 3-ounce portion of meat looks like less food but has significantly more calories than a 3-ounce portion of almost any vegetable. Pair a larger serving of vegetables with a modest 3-ounce serving of lean meat for a meal that provides energy from carbohydrates, fat and protein along with dietary fiber and essential vitamins and minerals. Add fruit, whole grains and healthy fats from oils for a balanced meal, as illustrated by the Harvard School of Public Health's Healthy Eating Plate.
</section>

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: