Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

The Ten Methods of meditating on the world that can lead to happiness and fulfillment

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by Archived_member15, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Archived_member15

Archived_member15
    Expand Collapse

This is a small portion of passages from a series of ancient 6th century AD Chinese texts known as, "The Jesus Sutras".

Read:

The Christians were from Persia and belong to the Nestorian Church - Assyrian Church of the East. Scholars say that they took with them a variety of canonical and non-canonical texts of teachings and sayings attributed to Jesus. In Syria there has traditionally been a strong tradition of agrapha - non-canonical sayings attributed to Jesus that canbe found in a variety of ancient documents such as by the Messalians. It is speculated that some of the non-caoninical teachings in the Sutras could be Chinese transliterations of now lost ancient Christian texts simply rendered using Taoist and Buddhist terminology but retaining the sense of the lost originals.

Emperor Taizong was impressed with the Christian religion which he called, "The Luminous Religion" and asked the missionary monks to translate their sacred writings into Chinese. The monks went on to build monasteries, temples, pagodas etc.

Chapter 2 of the Stone Sutra describes God giving to the first people the original nature of goodness: “Their minds were empty; they were content; and their hearts were simple and innocent. Originally they had no desire” (2:8-9).

I present to you below a short series of passages from some of the Sutras of this ancient Christian community:

• Like Like x 3
    #1 Archived_member15, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. Loading...

3. Archived_member15

Archived_member15
    Expand Collapse

I noted above:

As an example take this passage from the Sutras:

This is clearly based upon a well-known saying (agrapha) of Jesus that is not included in the Bible but which is known to the Church Fathers:

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

How many more agrapha could there be in the Sutras from now lost ancient texts, simply rendered with a Buddhist/Taoist overlay?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Annie

Annie
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Thank you for this, Vouthon ji. You are a smart young man. It makes me sad that in my nine years in Catholic schools, I was taught only the mundane and superficial theory; the Bible taken literally, at face value. So many people have no clue that this other side of Christianity exists. It amazes me that at the core, most of the worlds relgions are very similar, yet people fight over the details.

• Like Like x 2
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Even though it is thought by some that the 3 gunas are forces which influence existence or prakriti, the view is not shared by all. Not even by all Sikhs. Therefore, the gunas' relationship to these thread topics must be explained or the comment will be deleted.

Gunas, khands, turiya are examples terminology use to explain natural phenomena or spiritual states; This was the terminology used by centuries. However they are not central to Sikhi, and Sikh philosophy.

Harcharajitsinghdhillon ji you are free to repost with an explanation. If the explanation does not make a connection, then the comment will be deleted once again.

• Like Like x 1