• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Regarding Sikh Girls

It's funny how Guru Gobind Singh and the other Gurus always did the opposite of what you're saying. They never accepted any Guru jis, and they always questioned the flaws in society and not only that they actually did something about them.[
A big example and a common one is Guru Nanak rejecting the jenaeoo. His father ordered him, along with a pundit, to put on this jenaeoo. He questioned them and did not wear it. Bottomline, our Gurus weren't brainless zombies and neither am I.

Well if you look at this comment closely why would Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji follow another Guru when he follows God. Guru ji had the direct connection with God. But us on the other hand are just creatures that need to be guided and who do the SIkhs look to for the correct direction? Guru ji. So what must one do to follow Sikhism, follow Guru ji.
I have reminded Sikhs many times you dont have to listen to a word i say, but the only one that you should take into consideration is that ask Guru ji your question. But that doesnt always happen and people start asking question on this site and others. So the best thing anyone else or i can do is give them the facts and there will be always someone out their that disagrees, thats fine as long as its in the best interest of the person who asked the question and others. so if your implying that i am a Guru Lol, then thats your intrepation of me. Which is really funny. You got me laughing really hard here:rofl!!:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Well if you look at this comment closely why would Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji follow another Guru when he follows God. Guru ji had the direct connection with God.
What do you mean by direct connection?
But us on the other hand are just creatures that need to be guided and who do the SIkhs look to for the correct direction? Guru ji. So what must one do to follow Sikhism, follow Guru ji.
Yes humans need guidance from time to time, but guidance doesn't mean you can't question anything.

I have reminded Sikhs many times you dont have to listen to a word i say, but the only one that you should take into consideration is that ask Guru ji your question. But that doesnt always happen and people start asking question on this site and others. So the best thing anyone else or i can do is give them the facts and there will be always someone out their that disagrees, thats fine as long as its in the best interest of the person who asked the question and others.
Follow Guru JI, meaning follow Guru Granth Sahib?
Can you show me where in Guru Granth Sahib, rules are being imposed on the reader, like "don't cut hair"???

so if your implying that i am a Guru Lol, then thats your intrepation of me. Which is really funny. You got me laughing really hard here:rofl!!:
How in the world you got the idea that I was implying that you are a guru, I don't know. In fact, if you read my post correctly, I said, "It's funny how Guru Gobind Singh and the other Gurus always did the opposite of what you're saying." Read my posts carefully mate.
But I am glad I put a smile on your face. :yes:
Unless you laugh without smiling....:shock: hehe

What do you mean by direct connection?

That Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji is already one with God.

Yes humans need guidance from time to time, but guidance doesn't mean you can't question anything.

Yes question what you want but if you do not follow Guru ji then what is the use of all the answers. The answers become meaningless to you and your soul can be lossed in the five theives.

Follow Guru JI, meaning follow Guru Granth Sahib?
Yes

Can you show me where in Guru Granth Sahib, rules are being imposed on the reader, like "don't cut hair", "dont eat meat"???

That i know of nowhere and neither does it say you can cut your hair. Here are some Shabads from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib that helps one realize hair should not be cut nor does it need to be cut.

BHAIRAO, FIFTH MEHL: The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the Inner-knower of
my heart. The Naam is so useful to me. The Lord.s Name permeates each and every hair of mine. The Perfect True Guru has
given me this gift. || 1 || ang 1144

He gives Support to the unsupported. The
Name of the Lord is the Wealth of the poor. The Lord of the Universe is the Master of the masterless; the Beautiful-haired Lord
is the Power of the weak. The Lord is Merciful to all beings, Eternal and Unchanging, the Family of the meek and humble. The
All-knowing, Perfect, Primal Lord God is the Lover of His devotees, the Embodiment of Mercy.
-1356-
The Supreme Lord God, the Transcendent, Luminous Lord, dwells in each and every heart. Nanak begs for this blessing from
the Merciful Lord, that he may never forget Him, never forget Him. || 21 ||ang 1356

Kabeer, chant the Name of the Beautifully-haired Lord; do not sleep unaware. Chanting His Name night and
day, the Lord will eventually hear your call. || 223 || ang 1376

SHALOK, FIRST MEHL: They pluck the hair out of their heads, and drink in filthy water;
they beg endlessly and eat the garbage which others have thrown away. They spread manure, they suck in rotting smells, and
they are afraid of clean water. Their hands are smeared with ashes, and the hair on their heads is plucked out.they are like
sheep! They have renounced the lifestyle of their mothers and fathers, and their families and relatives cry out in distress. No
one offers the rice dishes at their last rites, and no one lights the lamps for them. After their death, where will they be sent?
The sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage give them no place of protection, and no Brahmin will eat their food. They remain
polluted forever, day and night; they do not apply the ceremonial tilak mark to their foreheads. They sit together in silence, as
if in mourning; they do not go to the Lord.s Court. With their begging bowls hanging from their waists, and their fly-brushes in
their hands, they walk along in single file. They are not Yogis, and they are not Jangams, followers of Shiva.
-150-
They are not Qazis or Mullahs. Ruined by the Merciful Lord, they wander around in disgrace, and their entire troop is
contaminated. The Lord alone kills and restores to life; no one else can protect anyone from Him. They go without giving alms
or any cleansing baths; their shaven heads become covered with dust. The jewel emerged from the water, when the mountain
of gold was used to churn it. The gods established the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage, where the festivals are
celebrated and hymns are chanted. After bathing, the Muslims recite their prayers, and after bathing, the Hindus perform their
worship services. The wise always take cleansing baths. At the time of death, and at the time of birth, they are purified, when
water is poured on their heads. O Nanak, the shaven-headed ones are devils. They are not pleased to hear these words. When
it rains, there is happiness. Water is the key to all life. When it rains, the corn grows, and the sugar cane, and the cotton,
which provides clothing for all. When it rains, the cows always have grass to graze upon, and housewives can churn the milk
into butter. With that ghee, sacred feasts and worship services are performed; all these efforts are blessed. The Guru is the
ocean, and all His Teachings are the river. Bathing within it, glorious greatness is obtained. O Nanak, if the shaven-headed
ones do not bathe, then seven handfuls of ashes are upon their heads. || 1 || ang 150

On the fourteenth day of the lunar cycle, in the fourteen worlds and on each and every hair, the Lord
abides. Center yourself and meditate on truth and contentment. Speak the speech of God.s spiritual wisdom. || 15 ||ang 344

Hearing the Bani of the Lord.s Name, all my affairs were brought to
perfection and embellished. With each and every hair, with each and every hair, as Gurmukh, I meditate on the Lord. I
meditate on the Lord.s Name, and become pure; He has no form or shape. The Name of the Lord, Raam, Raam, is permeating
my heart deep within, and all of my desire and hunger has disappeared. My mind and body are totally adorned with peace and
tranquility; through the Guru.s Teachings, the Lord has been revealed to me. The Lord Himself has shown His kind mercy to
Nanak; He has made me the slave of the slaves of His slaves. || 3 || ang 443

Your eyes are beautiful, and Your teeth are delightful. Your nose is graceful, and Your hair is so long. Your body is
precious, cast in gold. His body is cast in gold, and He wears Krishna.s mala; meditate on Him, O sisters. You shall not have to
stand at Death.s door, O sisters, if you listen to these teachings. From a crane, you shall be transformed into a swan, and the
filth of your mind shall be removed. Your eyes are beautiful, and Your teeth are delightful. || 7 || ang 567

I have come to Your Sanctuary, Destroyer of pain; O Primal
Immaculate Lord, may I dwell upon You in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. O Lord of beautiful hair, Destroyer of
pain, Eradicator of sins, Nanak lives, gazing upon the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan. || 2 || 9 || 125 || ang 829

Finally, the True Guru said, .When I am gone, sing Kirtan in Praise of the Lord, in Nirvaanaa.. Call
in the long-haired scholarly Saints of the Lord, to read the sermon of the Lord, Har, Har. Read the sermon of the Lord, and
listen to the Lord.s Name; the Guru is pleased with love for the Lord. Do not bother with offering rice-***** on leaves, lighting
lamps, and other rituals like floating the body out on the Ganges; instead, let my remains be given up to the Lord.s Pool. The
Lord was pleased as the True Guru spoke; he was blended then with the all-knowing Primal Lord God.
-924-
The Guru then blessed the Sodhi Ram Das with the ceremonial tilak mark, the insignia of the True Word of the Shabad. || 5 || ang 923

BhagatSingh ji, Why would Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji give the order to the Sikhs to keep their hair and why did the Gurus keep their hair uncut?

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Yes question what you want but if you do not follow Guru ji then what is the use of all the answers.
Did Guru Nanak follow any Guru Jis? No, and yet he found a use of all the answers.

The answers become meaningless to you and your soul can be lossed in the five theives.
oh pluhlease.
Ill comment once you explain your definition of the soul and five thieves.
That i know of nowhere and neither does it say you can cut your hair. Here are some Shabads from the Sri Guru Granth Sahib that helps one realize hair should not be cut nor does it need to be cut.
Ok let's see...

my heart. The Naam is so useful to me. The Lord.s Name permeates each and every hair of mine. The Perfect True Guru has
:}:): ...nothing here that says don't, or should not or does not need to be cut, unless you can explain otherwise.

Name of the Lord is the Wealth of the poor. The Lord of the Universe is the Master of the masterless; the Beautiful-haired Lord
is the Power of the weak. The Lord is Merciful to all beings, Eternal and Unchanging, the Family of the meek and humble. The
All-knowing, Perfect, Primal Lord God is the Lover of His devotees, the Embodiment of Mercy.
-1356-
Ok for some reason I did not find this on page 1356, so no comments until you can provide me with the correct page number. i am using www.srigranth.org
The Supreme Lord God, the Transcendent, Luminous Lord, dwells in each and every heart. Nanak begs for this blessing from
the Merciful Lord, that he may never forget Him, never forget Him. || 21 ||ang 1356
WOW, talk about off topic. I don't see how this has anything to do with hair.
Kabeer, chant the Name of the Beautifully-haired Lord; do not sleep unaware. Chanting His Name night and
day, the Lord will eventually hear your call. || 223 || ang 1376
Beautifully-haired lord eh? cool. And this is supposed to tell me to not cut my hair, etc etc?
the same kabeer tells me this:
ਕਬੀਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਇਕ ਸਿਉ ਕੀਏ ਆਨ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਇ
कबीर प्रीति इक सिउ कीए आन दुबिधा जाइ ॥
Kabīr parīṯ ik si*o kī*ė ān ḏubiḏẖā jā*ė.
Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.

ਭਾਵੈ ਲਾਂਬੇ ਕੇਸ ਕਰੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਘਰਰਿ ਮੁਡਾਇ ॥੨੫॥
भावै लांबे केस करु भावै घररि मुडाइ ॥२५॥
Bẖāvai lāʼnbė kės kar bẖāvai gẖarar mudā*ė. ||25||
You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. ||25||
SHALOK, FIRST MEHL: They pluck the hair out of their heads, and drink in filthy water;
they beg endlessly and eat the garbage which others have thrown away. They spread manure, they suck in rotting smells, and
they are afraid of clean water. Their hands are smeared with ashes, and the hair on their heads is plucked out.they are like
sheep! They have renounced the lifestyle of their mothers and fathers, and their families and relatives cry out in distress. No
one offers the rice dishes at their last rites, and no one lights the lamps for them. After their death, where will they be sent?
The sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage give them no place of protection, and no Brahmin will eat their food. They remain
polluted forever, day and night; they do not apply the ceremonial tilak mark to their foreheads. They sit together in silence, as
if in mourning; they do not go to the Lord.s Court. With their begging bowls hanging from their waists, and their fly-brushes in
their hands, they walk along in single file. They are not Yogis, and they are not Jangams, followers of Shiva.
-150-

They are not Qazis or Mullahs. Ruined by the Merciful Lord, they wander around in disgrace, and their entire troop is
contaminated. The Lord alone kills and restores to life; no one else can protect anyone from Him. They go without giving alms
or any cleansing baths; their shaven heads become covered with dust. The jewel emerged from the water, when the mountain
of gold was used to churn it. The gods established the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage, where the festivals are
celebrated and hymns are chanted. After bathing, the Muslims recite their prayers, and after bathing, the Hindus perform their
worship services. The wise always take cleansing baths. At the time of death, and at the time of birth, they are purified, when
water is poured on their heads. O Nanak, the shaven-headed ones are devils. They are not pleased to hear these words. When
it rains, there is happiness. Water is the key to all life. When it rains, the corn grows, and the sugar cane, and the cotton,
which provides clothing for all. When it rains, the cows always have grass to graze upon, and housewives can churn the milk
into butter. With that ghee, sacred feasts and worship services are performed; all these efforts are blessed. The Guru is the
ocean, and all His Teachings are the river. Bathing within it, glorious greatness is obtained. O Nanak, if the shaven-headed
ones do not bathe, then seven handfuls of ashes are upon their heads. || 1 || ang 150
Did not find these quotes on page 150 so no comments until you provide correct page number, i am using Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib
On the fourteenth day of the lunar cycle, in the fourteen worlds and on each and every hair, the Lord
abides. Center yourself and meditate on truth and contentment. Speak the speech of God.s spiritual wisdom. || 15 ||ang 344
Let me finish this off.
ਚਉਦਸਿ ਚਉਦਹ ਲੋਕ ਮਝਾਰਿ
चउदसि चउदह लोक मझारि ॥
Cẖa*uḏas cẖa*oḏah lok majẖār.
On the fourteenth day of the lunar cycle, in the fourteen worlds

ਰੋਮ ਰੋਮ ਮਹਿ ਬਸਹਿ ਮੁਰਾਰਿ
रोम रोम महि बसहि मुरारि ॥
Rom rom meh baseh murār.
and on each and every hair, the Lord abides.

ਸਤ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਕਾ ਧਰਹੁ ਧਿਆਨ
सत संतोख का धरहु धिआन ॥
Saṯ sanṯokẖ kā ḏẖarahu ḏẖi*ān.
Center yourself and meditate on truth and contentment.

ਕਥਨੀ ਕਥੀਐ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨ ॥੧੫॥
कथनी कथीऐ ब्रहम गिआन ॥१५॥
Kathnī kathī*ai barahm gi*ān. ||15||
Speak the speech of God's spiritual wisdom. ||15||

ਪੂਨਿਉ ਪੂਰਾ ਚੰਦ ਅਕਾਸ
पूनिउ पूरा चंद अकास ॥
Pūni*o pūrā cẖanḏ akās.
On the day of the full moon, the full moon fills the heavens.

ਪਸਰਹਿ ਕਲਾ ਸਹਜ ਪਰਗਾਸ
पसरहि कला सहज परगास ॥
Pasrahi kalā sahj pargās.
Its power is diffused through its gentle light.

ਆਦਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਮਧਿ ਹੋਇ ਰਹਿਆ ਥੀਰ
आदि अंति मधि होइ रहिआ थीर ॥
Āḏ anṯ maḏẖ ho*ė rahi*ā thīr.
In the beginning, in the end, and in the middle, God remains firm and steady.

ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਮਹਿ ਰਮਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ॥੧੬॥
सुख सागर महि रमहि कबीर ॥१६॥
Sukẖ sāgar meh rameh Kabīr. ||16||
Kabeer is immersed in the ocean of peace. ||16||

Again doesnt say "don't cut hair", "shouldnt cut hair" or "dont need to cut hair".
the" long haired lord" thing seems to be a trend in Kabeer's writings.

perfection and embellished. With each and every hair, with each and every hair, as Gurmukh, I meditate on the Lord. I
meditate on the Lord.s Name, and become pure; He has no form or shape. The Name of the Lord, Raam, Raam, is permeating
my heart deep within, and all of my desire and hunger has disappeared. My mind and body are totally adorned with peace and
tranquility; through the Guru.s Teachings, the Lord has been revealed to me. The Lord Himself has shown His kind mercy to
... this is getting repititive. Its talking about how a gurmukh is absorbed into the meditation. That every single hair on his/her body is meditating upon hte lord. Again nothing to do with "helps one realize hair should not be cut nor does it need to be cut."

Your eyes are beautiful, and Your teeth are delightful. Your nose is graceful, and Your hair is so long. Your body is
precious, cast in gold. His body is cast in gold, and He wears Krishna.s mala; meditate on Him, O sisters. You shall not have to
stand at Death.s door, O sisters, if you listen to these teachings. From a crane, you shall be transformed into a swan, and the
filth of your mind shall be removed. Your eyes are beautiful, and Your teeth are delightful. || 7 || ang 567
... copy and paste
Again nothing to do with "helps one realize hair should not be cut nor does it need to be cut."
Immaculate Lord, may I dwell upon You in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. O Lord of beautiful hair, Destroyer of
pain, Eradicator of sins, Nanak lives, gazing upon the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan. || 2 || 9 || 125 || ang 829
Again nothing to do with "helps one realize hair should not be cut nor does it need to be cut."

Finally, the True Guru said, .When I am gone, sing Kirtan in Praise of the Lord, in Nirvaanaa.. Call
in the long-haired scholarly Saints of the Lord, to read the sermon of the Lord, Har, Har. Read the sermon of the Lord, and
listen to the Lord.s Name; the Guru is pleased with love for the Lord. Do not bother with offering rice-***** on leaves, lighting
lamps, and other rituals like floating the body out on the Ganges; instead, let my remains be given up to the Lord.s Pool. The
Lord was pleased as the True Guru spoke; he was blended then with the all-knowing Primal Lord God.
-924-
The Guru then blessed the Sodhi Ram Das with the ceremonial tilak mark, the insignia of the True Word of the Shabad. || 5 || ang 923

BhagatSingh ji, Why would Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji give the order to the Sikhs to keep their hair and why did the Gurus keep their hair uncut?
I don't know I am not Guru Gobind Singh. (been bashed on this forum for formulating a hypothesis of what Guru GObind singh would have thought when doing a certain action. SO I won't be getting into that again):yes:
No proof of whether the other Gurus kept their hair uncut.

Last edited by a moderator:

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Brothers Bhagat and Singh

No one should dispute that kesh is a central part of the Khalsa identity. But the reality (like it or not) os that right now the majority of people who are referred to as Sikhs are monay. This includes the people in Panjab.

I think an approach that berates an individual or group for not keeping kesh is actually quite detrimental to the panth. The mona of today can well be the Amritdhari of tomorrow. I have seen a fair number of instances of people with kesh cutting them. Conversely I have seen many people who were monay become amritdhari. If you have kesh, belittling or looking down on others is not exactly the peak of high spirituality. I'm just suggesting letting people progress on their spiritual awakening as life or God reveals to them.

I don't have kesh, many I admire greatly, do. What do you all think of the suggestion that we all take a break from judging each other and realise that despite failings on rehat, an individual can still be a good soul and beloved of God.

One problem I noticed when I was at university over a decade ago, was that some people had kesh and had no idea why they kept it. Years later, as a teacher I often meet Sikh students who despite being lovely personalities, have absolutely no idea of why they kept their kesh beyond their parents telling them they have to. This is the danger of stressing kesh and not other essential elements of Sikhi in unison.

Ultimately as Sikhs we will answer to God for our actions. Let us not try and take his/her/its place and concentrate on our own spiritual development, which is hard enough these days.

I hope I haven't offended anyone.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Brothers Bhagat and Singh

No one should dispute that kesh is a central part of the Khalsa identity. But the reality (like it or not) os that right now the majority of people who are referred to as Sikhs are monay. This includes the people in Panjab.

I think an approach that berates an individual or group for not keeping kesh is actually quite detrimental to the panth. The mona of today can well be the Amritdhari of tomorrow. I have seen a fair number of instances of people with kesh cutting them. Conversely I have seen many people who were monay become amritdhari. If you have kesh, belittling or looking down on others is not exactly the peak of high spirituality. I'm just suggesting letting people progress on their spiritual awakening as life or God reveals to them.

I don't have kesh, many I admire greatly, do. What do you all think of the suggestion that we all take a break from judging each other and realise that despite failings on rehat, an individual can still be a good soul and beloved of God.

One problem I noticed when I was at university over a decade ago, was that some people had kesh and had no idea why they kept it. Years later, as a teacher I often meet Sikh students who despite being lovely personalities, have absolutely no idea of why they kept their kesh beyond their parents telling them they have to. This is the danger of stressing kesh and not other essential elements of Sikhi in unison.

Ultimately as Sikhs we will answer to God for our actions. Let us not try and take his/her/its place and concentrate on our own spiritual development, which is hard enough these days.

I hope I haven't offended anyone.
Wonderful post!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
You know Dalsingh ji,

I so much admire you for taking a stand and making your views so clear. So much so, that I stand behind you in the event of any backlash on this point.

There are ever so many questions that I myself have regarding the difference between spiritual practice and growth within the panth as distinguished from religious practices. And your openness coupled with deep knowledge of Sikhism makes you a trustworthy person to consult.

:yes:

Did Guru Nanak follow any Guru Jis? No, and yet he found a use of all the answers.

So what is your point here?

Originally Posted by Singh
..nothing here that says don't, or should not or does not need to be cut, unless you can explain otherwise.
Okay lets look what the shabad is saying. God’s name exist in each and every hair of mine. Some can say the shabad is saying God exist everywhere. But one word changes everything here. “Mine” meaning my hair. So God exist in your and my hair. Now if I cut this hair does that bring me closer to God or further? Just this action alone all other factors stay the same. Then read the next line.

The Perfect True Guru has given me this gift. || 1 ||

What gift is Guru ji referring to here? The gift of the lord’s name. The lord’s name is a gift from the True Guru and this naam permeates on every hair of mine then this hair that is on our body’s is of some use. It must have something really special about it but some do not know why it is so special.

Quote:
-1356-
Ok for some reason I did not find this on page 1356, so no comments until you can provide me with the correct page number. i am using www.srigranth.org

Its on ang 1355 near the end and at the top of 1356. Just look more carefully, you’ll find it.
All I wanted to share with you here was that Guru ji is describing Waheguru with beautiful-hair.

Well not really, the shabad is on the same ang as the top one 1355-1356. So once again be more careful before you rush to a conclusion.

Beautifully-haired lord eh? cool. And this is supposed to tell me to not cut my hair, etc etc?
the same kabeer tells me this:

ਕਬੀਰਪ੍ਰੀਤਿਇਕਸਿਉਕੀਏਆਨਦੁਬਿਧਾਜਾਇ
कबीरप्रीतिइकसिउकीएआनदुबिधाजाइ
Kabīr parīṯ ik si*o kī*ė ān ḏubiḏẖā jā*ė.
Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.

ਭਾਵੈਲਾਂਬੇਕੇਸਕਰੁਭਾਵੈਘਰਰਿਮੁਡਾਇ੨੫॥
भावैलांबेकेसकरुभावैघररिमुडाइ॥२५॥
Bẖāvai lāʼnbė kės kar bẖāvai gẖarar mudā*ė. ||25||
You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. ||25||

Kabeer, be in love with only that one, whose Master is the Lord. The Pandits, the religious scholars, kings and landlords. what good is love for them? || 24 || Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart. You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. || 25 || Kabeer, the world is a room filled with black soot; the blind fall into its trap. I am a sacrifice to those who are thrown in, and still escape. || 26 || Kabeer, this body shall perish; save it, if you can. Even those who have tens of thousands and millions, must depart bare-footed in the end. || 27 || ang 1365

To understand these shabads look at what Kabeer ji is saying first. Kabeer is saying nothing else matters when you are in love with the Lord. Only the one matters. Also he is saying do not get caught up in worldly affairs so much that you forget about the overall goal.

Keeping the hair or cutting the hair can distract a person from the ultimate goal in life. The hair creates an issue for an instance cutting it every time takes time trying to making it look good for yourself or others can start eating at the person. The person constantly alters the hair to be perceived in a certain way and the person then gets tired of that look and moves on to another. This will also be changed in time. nowthe person is caught up in the maya of hair and beauty and forgets the Lord. The person starts going to hair salons spending unbelievable amount of time and money to worry about something that will turn into dust anyway. Also the one that keeps his hair can be doing the same thing. Constantly worrying about how it looks spending so much time trying to make it look good and then forgetting the ultimate goal in life. This theory works in both cases but keeping your hair is the better choice from the two because it was Guru Gobind Sinh Sahibs hukam, the Gurus kept their hair and the science also lead us to believe hair does bring us closer to the Lord.

Quote:
-150-

Did not find these quotes on page 150 so no comments until you provide correct page number, i am using Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

These shabads are on at the end of ang 149 and at the top of ang 150. I wait for your response on this one.

Quote:

Let me finish this off.
ਚਉਦਸਿਚਉਦਹਲੋਕਮਝਾਰਿ
चउदसिचउदहलोकमझारि
Cẖa*uḏas cẖa*oḏah lok majẖār.
On the fourteenth day of the lunar cycle, in the fourteen worlds

ਰੋਮਰੋਮਮਹਿਬਸਹਿਮੁਰਾਰਿ
रोमरोममहिबसहिमुरारि
Rom rom meh baseh murār.
and on each and every hair, the Lord abides.

ਸਤਸੰਤੋਖਕਾਧਰਹੁਧਿਆਨ
सतसंतोखकाधरहुधिआन
Saṯ sanṯokẖ kā ḏẖarahu ḏẖi*ān.
Center yourself and meditate on truth and contentment.

ਕਥਨੀਕਥੀਐਬ੍ਰਹਮਗਿਆਨ੧੫॥
कथनीकथीऐब्रहमगिआन॥१५॥
Kathnī kathī*ai barahm gi*ān. ||15||
Speak the speech of God's spiritual wisdom. ||15||

ਪੂਨਿਉਪੂਰਾਚੰਦਅਕਾਸ
पूनिउपूराचंदअकास
Pūni*o pūrā cẖanḏ akās.
On the day of the full moon, the full moon fills the heavens.

ਪਸਰਹਿਕਲਾਸਹਜਪਰਗਾਸ
पसरहिकलासहजपरगास
Pasrahi kalā sahj pargās.
Its power is diffused through its gentle light.

ਆਦਿਅੰਤਿਮਧਿਹੋਇਰਹਿਆਥੀਰ
आदिअंतिमधिहोइरहिआथीर
Āḏ anṯ maḏẖ ho*ė rahi*ā thīr.
In the beginning, in the end, and in the middle, God remains firm and steady.

ਸੁਖਸਾਗਰਮਹਿਰਮਹਿਕਬੀਰ੧੬॥
सुखसागरमहिरमहिकबीर॥१६॥
Sukẖ sāgar meh rameh Kabīr. ||16||
Kabeer is immersed in the ocean of peace. ||16||

Again doesnt say "don't cut hair", "shouldnt cut hair" or "dont need to cut hair".
the" long haired lord" thing seems to be a trend in Kabeer's writings.

Just showing that God abides on every hair and the hair has use and should be kept to find out that use. Otherwise Guru ji would have not put this in. Yes it is a trend and it has meaning my friend. The only thing is we humans do not know the meaning of this trend. Just because it is a trend we should not put it in the back and think nothing of it for the line has reason and meaning.

Quote:

... this is getting repititive. Its talking about how a gurmukh is absorbed into the meditation. That every single hair on his/her body is meditating upon hte lord. Again nothing to do with "helps one realize hair should not be cut nor does it need to be cut."
Hold up, read the Shabad one more time with an open mind. Lol yes it is getting repetitive which is the point. In the Sri Guru Granth Sahib the Guru tells us to repeat the lords name over and over and this gets repetitive and I don’t see you taking it so lightly. The Guru repeats what they want us to understand so easily. Now if one cuts the hair off the body then how can that person mediate on that hair. That person has loosed the opportunity to mediate on that hair. Now if we are told to constantly mediate on the lord and we take away the hair that also mediates on the lord does that make us better off or worse off?

Quote:

The lord is described with hair and it has meaning to it like I said above.

Quote:
-924-

Look at it again and see why the Guru is so specific when he says who should be called in to read the sermon of the lord. The long-haired scholarly saints are the one he specifies to read the sermon of the lord. Not the one that shave their head bald, but the ones with long-hair. And it does help the reader realize hair should be kept. Because the shabad is saying only the pure one’s are to read the lord’s sermon when the Guru is gone from this earth.

I don't know I am not Guru Gobind Singh. (been bashed on this forum for formulating a hypothesis of what Guru GObind singh would have thought when doing a certain action. SO I won't be getting into that again)
clip_image001.gif
No proof of whether the other Gurus kept their hair uncut.

What! All Gurus kept their hair long. Look what the last shabad that I explained says. This is a total shock to me that you would think that any of the Guru would cut their hair. The Gurus Sikhs laid their lifes down because they were told to cut there hair. Here you say there is no proof. Truly astonishing.

Dalsingh ji nicely said. But a few things I would like to point out.

When the question of hair arises in Sikhism like it has now it should be explored. Just pushing it aside is when one person can make a mistakes and end up telling others there is no use of hair. Yes arguing over the issue like animals will get you no where and only hurt the people spiritually in the longrun. Also for a person with kesh to bash a mona is wrong and the cause of this bashing is judging the person without getting to know him/her.

I totally agree people progress spiritually at there own pace, but again this issue has been brought up and it should be explored. I know it gets repetitive to bring it up over and over again but to ignore it is a mistake. The person asking the question does not know the facts and is asking for help. And for us to ignore the person would be really stupid of us. Why not share what you know of the great lord with others. It is the greatest gift one can give to another.

closetonanak

SPNer
Mar 1, 2007
hey
I Have A Small Question To Ask U Guys:
Why Do So Many Of Our Sikh Girls Like Punjabi Munde Who Cut Their Hair?
I Think In Gurudwara....they Should Teach These Girls About It Because Most Of Our Brothers Our Cutting Their Hair Only Due To These Girls.
I Know So Many Instances Where A Guy Cuts His Hair After Marrying To A Girl Or Even If They Are Going Out.....i'm In University Studying Engineering And I Know This Is True.
Most Of The Sikh Girls Prefer A Clean-shaven Guy And Not A Guy Who Has Beard And Turban.......this Has Happened With Me, That A Girl Wanted To Go Out With Me Only If I Would Cut My Hair.
'main Onu Kya Ki Tere Wargiyan Mainu Lakh Mil Jaogi Par Meri Pag Nahin Uthru Gi'

I Just Want To Tell The Sikh Girls On This Website To Please Tell Your Friends That 'sardars' Are Maintaining This Religion And We Look Handsome With A Turban N Beard........we've Got Style & Are Educated So You'll Have To Change Ur Perception About Us Or They'll B No Religion Such As Sikhism In Near Future Coz Our Future Generation Will Just Look Like Hindus.

Thats All I Have To Say!!!!!!
Plz Comment....i Want To Hear Some Reviews
I Think The Gals Who Are Refusing The Guy Just Coz Of Hairs Is Not Trule Love.. And Here In India Plently Of Sikh Gals I Had Seen They Dont Like Clean Shave Guys... Rest On Thinking Ne ...

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Dalsingh ji nicely said. But a few things I would like to point out.

When the question of hair arises in Sikhism like it has now it should be explored. Just pushing it aside is when one person can make a mistakes and end up telling others there is no use of hair. Yes arguing over the issue like animals will get you no where and only hurt the people spiritually in the longrun. Also for a person with kesh to bash a mona is wrong and the cause of this bashing is judging the person without getting to know him/her.

I totally agree people progress spiritually at there own pace, but again this issue has been brought up and it should be explored. I know it gets repetitive to bring it up over and over again but to ignore it is a mistake. The person asking the question does not know the facts and is asking for help. And for us to ignore the person would be really stupid of us. Why not share what you know of the great lord with others. It is the greatest gift one can give to another.

Hey, I have no problems with exploring and debating as long as no one is insulting the faith. I think that is a part of Sikhi myself (vichaar.) Just everyone try and be respectful to each other.....and enjoy the debate. Singh bear in mind sometimes people start to explore faith later in life when they have developed the proper intellectual facilities to do this justice.

I would dare to say that it is hard to understand Sikh philosophy when people are young because it is complex. I've been spending a few years doing it and still feel I have major gaps in my knowledge. I'm concluding that Sikhi is a lifelong learning affair.

So people be careful not to belittle kesh and conversely do not put excessive emphasis on this whilst ignoring other key elements of Sikhi. I was taught that kesh were a symbol of Sikh identity and an external symbol of the inward belief of a Sikh. Having kesh without the inward belief is problematic.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dalsing ji

Once again, well said. There are orders of yogis who keep their hair long and do not shave as a mark of their order of yoga. Some will have a serious dhyan; others will have nothing more than ritual and obsession. The same thing. :)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I think we should discuss this in a new topic.

Okay lets look what the shabad is saying. God’s name exist in each and every hair of mine. Some can say the shabad is saying God exist everywhere. But one word changes everything here. “Mine” meaning my hair. So God exist in your and my hair. Now if I cut this hair does that bring me closer to God or further? Just this action alone all other factors stay the same. Then read the next line.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
The following has been responded to in:
http://www.sikhism.us/sikh-youth/22759-hair.html#post85653

Ok guys back to SIkh gurlzz!!! :D

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: