• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Regarding Sikh Girls

The reason for keeping your hair is to accept the way God made you. If you cut your hair then you are not excepting God’s gift. The child that cannot grow hair is for a reason and God knows that reason. What we must do is accept it. God made the child that way in his eyes the child is beautiful and radiant even with out the hair. And for you to cut your hair to give to the child you are helping the child change the way he/she looks and not accepting the way God made that child and yourself. For that you are not accepting God’s will. God gave you hair as a gift. God blessed you with hair take care of them and don’t cut them.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
hey
I have a small question to ask u guys:
Why do so many of our Sikh girls like Punjabi munde who cut their hair?
I think in Gurudwara....they should teach these girls about it because most of our brothers our cutting their hair only due to these girls.
I know so many instances where a guy cuts his hair after marrying to a girl or even if they are going out.....I'm in University studying engineering and i know this is true.
Most of the sikh girls prefer a clean-shaven guy and not a guy who has beard and turban.......This has happened with me, that a girl wanted to go out with me only if i would cut my hair.
'main onu kya ki tere wargiyan mainu lakh mil jaogi par meri pag nahin uthru gi'

I just want to tell the sikh girls on this website to please tell your friends that 'Sardars' are maintaining this religion and we look handsome with a turban n beard........we've got style & are educated so you'll have to change ur perception about us or they'll b no religion such as sikhism in near future coz our future generation will just look like hindus.

Thats all I have to say!!!!!!
Plz comment....i want to hear some reviews

Rubby ji

I love your answer you gave to the girl, that shows how much you love what you are and refuse to give in for mortals strange desires in your case. Girls who are taught about beauty of turban, refuse to marry hair cut, you will find one who will love you the way you are. Just cutting hair for girl is a low approach. I have many example to quote from my friends circles where girls refused to marry hair cut guys even though they could have gone to England and U.S.A. I applaud those girls too. I also believe that Sehajdhari Sikhs are also Sikhs but your stand is praise worthy and lovable. Never ever sell yourself for any thing.:up:Happy

Last edited:
May 27, 2008
It is not fair to blame sikh girls. In Jammu all sikhs are sabat soorat and 99 % sikh girls are having an affair with sikh boys. So firstly we shud see ourselves in mirror and keep ourself sabat soorat.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
The reason for keeping your hair is to accept the way God made you. If you cut your hair then you are not excepting God’s gift. The child that cannot grow hair is for a reason and God knows that reason. What we must do is accept it. God made the child that way in his eyes the child is beautiful and radiant even with out the hair. And for you to cut your hair to give to the child you are helping the child change the way he/she looks and not accepting the way God made that child and yourself. For that you are not accepting God’s will. God gave you hair as a gift. God blessed you with hair take care of them and don’t cut them.
You should accept God's gift of haircut, as well as his gift of nails...

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat Singh ji, i see the point you are making here, but ask yourself a question. Why did the Guru's Cut their nails, but not their hair?
Our nails grow since they are meant to be used quite a lot. If they didn't continue to grow continuously during our lifetimes, they would eventually erode away, leaving nothing behind. Which sucks though, because we need them. (If you have a hard time grasping this concept then look at beaver's teeth, claws of lion, tiger, etc)

In our society, we would need to cut our nails because we don't use our hands alot (we use tools, which protect out hands and nails). So to keep our nails short and manegeable, we simply cut them instead of scraping them along harder/rougher surfaces.

Our nails grow since they are meant to be used quite a lot. If they didn't continue to grow continuously during our lifetimes, they would eventually erode away, leaving nothing behind. Which sucks though, because we need them. (If you have a hard time grasping this concept then look at beaver's teeth, claws of lion, tiger, etc)

In our society, we would need to cut our nails because we don't use our hands alot (we use tools, which protect out hands and nails). So to keep our nails short and manegeable, we simply cut them instead of scraping them along harder/rougher surfaces.

Thanks for the info, but i already knew this.

You should accept God's gift of haircut, as well as his gift of nails...

What were your intentions when you wrote this? If we both agree nails can be cut but not hair.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
What were your intentions when you wrote this? If we both agree nails can be cut but not hair.
Well, you said
If you cut your hair then you are not excepting God’s gift.
My response to this was/is, You should accept God's gift of haircut, as well as his gift of nails...
If you say hair is a gift from God then so are haircuts and nails. My purpose was to make you realize that everything is a gift from God, both hair and haircuts, and that it's upto the individual which gift they want to accept.

My response to this was/is, You should accept God's gift of haircut, as well as his gift of nails...
If you say hair is a gift from God then so are haircuts and nails. My purpose was to make to realize that everything is a gift from God, both hair and haircuts, and that it's upto the individual which gift they want to accept.

Yes BhagatSingh ji, i agree it is up to the individual to accept what they want. But being a Sikh we accept the hair and do not cut it and nails can be cut for the reason you have given and others. This reminds me of the shabads:

Some sing of His Power-who has that Power? Some sing of His Gifts, and know His Sign and Insignia. Some sing of His Glorious Virtues, Greatness and Beauty. Some sing of knowledge obtained of Him, through difficult philosophical studies. Some sing that He fashions the body, and then again reduces it to dust. Some sing that He takes life away, and then again restores it.

Page 2
Some sing that He seems so very far away. Some sing that He watches over us, face to face, ever-present. There is no shortage of those who preach and teach. Millions upon millions offer millions of sermons and stories. The Great Giver keeps on giving, while those who receive grow weary of receiving. Throughout the ages, consumers consume. The Commander, by His Command, leads us to walk on the Path. O Nanak, He blossoms forth, Carefree and Untroubled. || 3 || True is the Master, True is His Name-speak it with infinite love. People beg and pray, "Give to us, give to us", and the Great Giver gives His Gifts. So what offering can we place before Him, by which we might see the Darbaar of His Court? What words can we speak to evoke His Love? In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness. By the karma of past actions, the robe of this physical body is obtained. By His Grace, the Gate of Liberation is found. O Nanak, know this well: the True One Himself is All. || 4 ||

What can the poor helpless creatures do? Your Praises are overflowing with Your Treasures. Those, unto whom You give-how can they think of any other? O Nanak, the True One embellishes and exalts. || 4 || 2 ||

Its simple as this because it was Guru Gobind Singh Sahib jis hukam for Sikhs to keep their hair. For a Sikh there should be no other Skeptic thoughts after this. But we are Skeptic people and we want to know even more and more. In other words we want to know everything in this world and the universe, but even knowing everthing in this world is useless if you dont accept Guru ji.

May 27, 2008
Please Dont compare nails with hair as we cut only dead nails not the live ones which lie on our fingre heads.
Similarly dead hair goes while combing.
So dont justify kattal of kesh by wrong example.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Please Dont compare nails with hair as we cut only dead nails not the live ones which lie on our fingre heads.
Similarly dead hair goes while combing.
So dont justify kattal of kesh by wrong example.
There is no such thing as a living hair or a living nail. Please read the reasoning in my previous posts on why we cut nails.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Its simple as this because it was Guru Gobind Singh Sahib jis hukam for Sikhs to keep their hair. For a Sikh there should be no other Skeptic thoughts after this. But we are Skeptic people and we want to know even more and more. In other words we want to know everything in this world and the universe, but even knowing everthing in this world is useless if you dont accept Guru ji.
It's funny how Guru Gobind Singh and the other Gurus always did the opposite of what you're saying. They never accepted any Guru jis, and they always questioned the flaws in society and not only that they actually did something about them.
A big example and a common one is Guru Nanak rejecting the jenaeoo. His father ordered him, along with a pundit, to put on this jenaeoo. He questioned them and did not wear it. Bottomline, our Gurus weren't brainless zombies and neither am I.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Bhagat ji

How refreshing -- I am going through a "mindless zombie" episode in another area of my life as a Sikh :cool: and have had to just back out of a discussion for fear of being truly offensive. You are right. These men had physical and moral courage and they were uncommonly brilliant, schooled in human nature, and down-to-earth.

What has happened to the rest of us? :eek: It proves we are not Gurus that is for sure!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM