Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

My Sikh Rehat Meryada

Discussion in 'Sikh Rehat Maryada' started by harsimiritkaur, Feb 4, 2012.

1. harsimiritkaur

harsimiritkaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Guru Granth Sahib is my Sikh Rehat Maryada.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Loading...

3. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

Hasimiritkaur ji thanks for your post.

Can you please describe some of your key findings? There is nothing wrong with what you say except the detail of your understanding will help others to learn, check, etc.

Sat Sri Akal.

4. harsimiritkaur

harsimiritkaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

There are over 100 separate so called "Sikh Rehat Maryadas" Baba Ji Sants compete with each other over which one is original.

A committee mixed with religious men, some educated, and some politician type got together to form a sort of code of conduct.

It is up to us to decipher which code or codes are authentic and which ones are man-made due to greedy Brahman type cults disguising Hinduism as Sikhism, brainwashing and imposing rituals and restrictions against Guru Nanak's views, and forging Guru Gobind Singh's name and adding extra-Aad Granth texts as his writings, full of sex and drugs, Guru Gobind Singh idol worshipping the sun and moon like in the "Dev Shiva" hymn sung as the Sikh National Anthem. "Hey Rav, Hey Sas"...Bole Sonihaal..." etc.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār

Bhain harsimiritkaur ji I do not defend SRM per SGPC but your dismissal in a cursory fashion is little troubling. The following were the people engaged originally and most of these were not as bad as you denegrade these in your post. Perhaps you can state your qualifications in this matter as compared to some of those I am excerpted quoting for you,

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    By the way the use of the word Giani was not simply a meaningless addition to some of the names. Giani was an educational level study of Sikh religion, Gurbani and Punjabi as in High School for science these days.

There is absolutely no question in my mind that SRM should be treated as a live Guiding document and is overdue for serious dissection and improvement.

Sat Sri Akal.

• Like Like x 3
  6. harsimiritkaur

harsimiritkaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

If this is Rehat Maryada, then why do all the other 99 Rehat Maryadas forbid consumption of jhatka meat? Which Rehat Maryada is correct?

Why are many of the Sikh Religious leaders politicians dressed in amritdhari clothes promoting Brahmanwat?

Why do they allow a coconut during akhand paath?

Why do they have kirtan and akhand paath in the same room?

Why do they have 50 akhand paaths in one room at the same time like an akhand paath zoo. I see it even in Harmandar Sahib.

Why do they still forbid women from kirtan in Harmandar Sahib, yet Ahluwaliah's wife or daughter use to do kirtan there?

Why do they degrade women like ignorant pindus?
    Why the pakandi dera do not allow women to read akhand paath, yet the paathis wear Muslmaan burka?

Where is Sikhism today? I don't want it to look like a stupid religion to outsiders.

• Like Like x 4
  7. lionprinceuk

lionprinceuk
    Expand Collapse
    (previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
    SPNer

actually dal panth practises jhatka meat and have their own puraatan maryada

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Actually we are "blaming" the wrong thing...barking up the wrong tree...

Its NOT the SRM that forces some Amrtisar ke Thugghs to dress up like Amrtidharees and commit fraud...cheat and lie...or do all those things Harsimrat has listed in her mail...
    What can the SRM do to stop a baba Ji mahapurahs type of thuggh to have coconuts and red thaggeh tied to water pots...alas what can the SRM do to blow out shudh ghee jyots that pollute Gurdwaras ....

In fact I could ask...DONT ALL THESE WRONGS HAPPEN inside GURDWARAS in the PRESENCE of SGGS ??? Why doesnt the SGGS stop these wrongs ??

The Real truthful answer is provided in GURBANI by the GURU...SGGS..."POORA STGUR KIA KAREH ji sikhaan mehn CHOOK ".....Its the SIKHS who are at FAULT 100%...Not the GURU, Not SGGS not SRM....NO JIOS..its US. Blame OURSELVES.

• Like Like x 3
  9. lionprinceuk

lionprinceuk
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

ghee and coconuts, explain further?

Again, I cannot see any nihangs in the document, therefore the Khalsa was seriously misrespresented for SRM. A maryada without khalsa input, what's the point, we might as well become fancy dress singhs?

10. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

11. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār

lionprinceuk ji just some comments.

You keep pushing negatives and history.

Do you have any positive suggestions about the future as I started just such a thread in case it helps as follows,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/contr...gs-legacy-behold-core-build-2.html#post160438

Regards and Sat Sri Akal.

• Like Like x 1
    #10 Ambarsaria, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  12. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

Coconuts, jyots, water pitchers etc are used by some keshadharee hindus when they have akhand paaths of sggs.

13. lionprinceuk

lionprinceuk
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I am sure in puraatan sampradiaye they have the same things. also in the dals. What is so bad about this practise, does it corrupt the soul? What is wrong with these traditional and ancient practises?

14. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

There is nothing wrong per se...whats wrong is that Gurbani teaches us to be practical...not ritualistic and karamkandees. When we should "drink" Gurbani so its teachings change our daily life..i see many sikhs wnat the "blessed water" from the pitcher to be sprinkled on them for good luck..now thats utterly karamkaandeeism....one cna see many bottles of water under the sggs manji sahib during akhand paaths..people seem to think gurbani neters the water and thst water will solve all their problems...whereas Gurbani atively condemns all such karamkaands. thats all...there is no need for any coconuts or gharras of water or red threads..etc..the need is to follow gurbani in spirit so it chnages us daily..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

corrupt the soul?

I am going to tell the story of a man, actually, I am going to make it a woman, and I am going to call her Janet. Janet is big on traditional and ancient rituals, she believes in the power of God, and she believes that this power can be felt through her faith. Janet lives very well, has a good job, lots of friends, is happy, and has huge faith. Janet believes that this faith gives her special treatment, sometimes the lights go to green as her car approaches, that is God smiling down on her, sometimes at work, everything just falls into place, again, because of a ritual she may have done recently, God is pleased with her and has rewarded her, she is a vegetarian, once she ate some meat, and somebody scratched her car in the carpark, so, as not to anger God, she keeps to vegetables.

Unknown to her, Janet is an addict, she is addicted to superstition, and its not that hard, convince yourself that following ritual results in a better life in the 'special lane' reserved for VIP's, and its very hard to go back from that. The irony is that when something terrible happens, Janet is completely unprepared for what to do, all she can do, all she knows is which ritual does this, and which ritual does that, has she angered the Gods, that they punish her so, and so, in the face of adversity, instead of being pragmatic and using her brain to find a solution, she is faced with the question of which ritual to invoke,

When you are going round in circles like this, yes I believe your soul is corrupt, you have learned nothing, you know nothing, your faith is in meaningless ritual, and the circle gets more and more closed, you cannot escape, the only way to break the circle is to put your faith in knowledge and wisdom, but to do that is to admit failure in the rituals, and a lot of people are just not strong enough to admit that.

It is this sort of 'worship' that the Gurus warned us against, but people do not listen, it is written in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, but certain people cannot get away from the fact that God is not there to be appeased, or fawned over, God is there to be emulated, it is the character of God we need to copy, we need to be apprentice Gods, We need to look at God and say, I want to be like that, I want to do help God do what needs to be done, by using my hands, my brain, my energy, my strength, I want to learn, to gain wisdom, knowledge, so that in a crisis, I know exactly what to do, by the grace of God

• Like Like x 3
  16. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

Harry Ji..THANK YOU.cheerleader

• Like Like x 1
  17. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

mundahug mundahug

• Like Like x 3
  18. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār

Thank you veer Harry ji. Great prose and from the heart all well connected.

Regards,

Sat Sri Akal. mundahug

• Like Like x 2