Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Misconceptions on Sikh Baptism

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by Astroboy, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Astroboy

Astroboy Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
    Writer SPNer Contributor

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    National Sikh Campaign launched to tackle misconceptions about the community Community Out-Reach Mar 16, 2014
    Las Vegas Sikhs Challenge Misconceptions Interfaith Dialogues Jan 9, 2013
    Truths or Misconceptions about Sikhi? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Jul 3, 2011
    Sikh News American misconceptions of Arab, Muslim and Sikh persist Breaking News Oct 22, 2004
    Sikh News American misconceptions of Arab, Muslim and Sikh persist Breaking News Oct 22, 2004

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

NamJap ji

The leaflet is very informative. But I don't want to share my opinion on the specific topics because I am in a good mood and do not want to become involved in any arguments.

Overall, the leaflet reflects my understanding of the spiritual basics -- different from ritual and practice. And that is always to ask, What is the message of Nanaak?

Inclusive, loving, compassionate, positive, just, non-judgmental. And in turning our faces to the Guru, and speaking the Bani of the Guru, we have found a fortress against sin and hopelessness.

To many times a common logical fallacy comes into discussion. The fallacy is this: If you do x or y or z (wear jewelry, eat with non amridthari, dance, etc.) then you will displease God. This is not what Nanaak taught. In fact it is what Nanaak rejected. Nanaak also rejected the idea that fasting, penance, and empty ritual will please God.

Instead, what Nanaak is saying is this: If you do x or y or z, and you do not turn your face to the Guru and speak His Bani, then nothing can help you.

Just my two cents

4. clarkejoey

clarkejoey
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

aad ji, i agree with you. it seems to me the bottom line is orthodoxy (right belief) ahead of orthopraxy (right practise). Getting them together is ideal, of course, but Guru seems to say that it's more important to know, believe, and understand.

namjap ji, nice leaflet. i like how the "answer" part are given in nice, non-argumentative tones.

I was thinking the headings could have been delivered as a whole thought (as in, say, "Amritdharis are not supposed to dance") but i guess the subject matter is too wide for that. Good work.

5. Archived_Member1

Archived_Member1
    Expand Collapse
    gone to greener pastures
    SPNer Supporter

wow, this leaflet seems to think maryada is completely unimportant.

call me a fundamentalist or whatever, but i guess i think we need both miri AND piri. spritual and temporal. yes, that means gurbani AND rehet.

silly me.

6. Sherab

Sherab
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Kaur ji, I see we agree once again!

Wjkk wjkf,
    Surinderjit Singh

7. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

When practice leads us to scorn another human being, then Ego is talking. That is the point of the leaflet.