• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Mere Sikhi

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Balkar Singhji

Which attachment are you referring to? I have checked back 2 pages and do not see one. Please indicate the page number found in the upper right corner and also the bottom right corner of the page of comments. Will try to fix it if I ca
n find it.

Jan 16, 2010
Revisiting the Post after a period of over 2 years I find I've grown in the meanwhile. I'm not so sure that what I wrote earlier holds true. All I'm now sure of is that the "shrawan" of the gentle baani forms a large, very large part of being a Sikh.
Gur Fateh

Rupinder.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Mar 11, 2009
Brisbane Australia
Dear all

WJKK WJKF

It feels so good to come back to SPN, I would say thanks to Harry ji for poking this Thread.

Admin ji, It took me a while to recover my forgotten password, The Text Images being displayed before a password can be reset, are extremely hard and difficult to read. I had to refresh those images a lot of times before I got an image that was bit easier to guess(..still hard to read). I know it is good for our own security but it could also become a factor to drive people away. Please look into it if possible.

Now back to the topic of "Mere Sikhi" which eventually turned into "What is Naam" discussion in the last few posts.

We all grow with time and our understanding and perspective on topics also change with time. That is why we human beings are not "AKAAL (ie. Independent of time)", but Akaal is a state we all want to achieve. Gurbani enshrined in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is "Akaal" as it was true when it was written, is true today and will be true in times to come. Truly Time Independent.

I appologize in advance if some of my thoughts today do not align with my earlier posts, thats just how we learn and grow.

On topic of Naam, I have been trying to find out from Gurbani what actually Naam is. I have tried to discuss what i think naam is with many but very few of them could agree with me, or in other words i might have failed to explain it properly.I will try it here. Again I am open to discussions, criticism, corrections.
----------------------

What is Naam:

Please consider following three points:

1. Gurbani emphasizes a lot on "Karam" i.e. our actions or act of doing something, be it thinking, reflecting, responding, etc, etc.

2. Another thing Gurbani emphasizes a lot is "Truth". We cant be truthfull until and unless we are true to our own self. We can tell lies to the world, and they may even believe it, but deep inside us we know, something is not true. Telling lies to our inner self is an impossible task.

ਅਗਹੁ ਦੇਖੈ ਪਿਛਹੁ ਦੇਖੈ ਤੁਝ ਤੇ ਕਹਾ ਛਪਾਵੈ ॥੩॥

We can ignore the truth but it will still be there, even after years of ignorance.

There is one more fact of life I came across,
3. "If we define something wrongly and mark the definition unchangable, Chances are we may not ever find the real thing coz it is possible that the real thing might have totally different attributes"

So I keep my options open, while moving on.

There are few posts here which suggest that "Naam" has not been defined in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I am not saying that they are wrong, but i tend to not agree with that statement.

And then there are other posts which state that "Waheguru" is the only naam quoting following lines of Respected Bhai Gurdass ji (vaar 13, pauri 2).

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਹੈ ਜਪਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਖੋਈ।

But I always fail to grasp why people quoting above lines do not find any value in the below lines of same respected Bhai Gurdass ji (Vaar 1, Pauri 1)

ਨਮਸਕਾਰ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਕੋ ਸਤਿਨਾਮ ਜਿਸ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਸੁਣਾਇਆ।

I would prefer to put my point forward as follows:

The very first lines of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji are as follows:

ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

And in my opinion Key to Naam lies in above starting line.

Now for a while focus your attention to following couplet.
ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ

According to Prof Sahib Singh, and many other translaters, and my own observation of Gurbani Syntax, most of the words ending with "Sihari" (ਸਤਿ) signify an action.

If we follow that rule, ਸਤਿ is not a noun or adjective, it is actualy a verb. which essentially means "Doing Truth full Actions".

ਨਾਮੁ is the Naam we all are discussing here and are trying to find.

So in my understanding

ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ is actually the definition of Naam, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji talks about it through out.

So I personally translate it as follows:

"Doing Truth full Actions is THE NAAM"

This definition of Naamu, includes "Karam" (point 1 above) and Truth (point 2. above).

ਅਮਲੁ ਕਰਿ ਧਰਤੀ ਬੀਜੁ ਸਬਦੋ ਕਰਿ ਸਚ ਕੀ ਆਬ ਨਿਤ ਦੇਹਿ ਪਾਣੀ ॥

This naamu can only be recited by actually adhering to the principle of truth, by living it practically in every thing we do in our life. And that person will become of a distinguised status of ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ, one who truly practices righteous and truthfull Actions (Karam), ie, one who is ਕਰਤਾ (ie.Doer), state of oneness with almighty.

ਜਬ ਹਮ ਹੋਤੇ ਤਬ ਤੂ ਨਾਹੀ ਅਬ ਤੂਹੀ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ॥

If we adhere to this Naam, We become ਨਿਰਭਉ (ie. Fearless) because the very root of fear is in something that is not true.

If we adhere to This Naam, we become ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ (without enimity) because if we decide to be true, it becomes irelevant if person in front of you is a friend or a foe, we will always take side of truth.

If we adhere to this Naam, our thought process becomes Akaal(ਅਕਾਲ) , we were true when it happened, we are true today and we will be true in the times to come no matter what.

If we adhere to this Naam, we automatically become ਅਜੂਨੀ ( Free of incarnations) ie. we would niether incarnate as a friend to cover up a friend's wrongdoing,or incarnate as a Foe to selectively highlight an enemy's wrong doing. Rather we will stick to truth and remain ਅਜੂਨੀ.

This Naam can be recited only if we realise it within our innerselves. No third person can make us recite this naam, until and unless we are ourselves willing to do so within our self (ਸੈਭੰ).

This state can only be realised/achieved through ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ie. through(ie. ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ) spiritual wisdom(ie. ਗੁਰ).

And that in a nutshell is "Mere Sikhi" everything else originates and flows out from here onwards.

Our Gurus have consistently used following lines:

ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

or its shorter version

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

at start of most of the different compilations, in a way to highlight and remind us our goal of life and how it can be achieved.

---------------------

Thats all for now. Will tunein later.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Rupinder Singh
Keep learning
:mundahug:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM