• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Manmohan Singh's Statement On 1984 Riots

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Here is the relevent paragraph from the article, ‘Judge me from my performance’, says Prime Minister ':

He [Prime Minister Manmohan Singh] also said, the tragic issue of 1984 riots cannot be kept alive for always as those who were raking it up were only trying to get political mileage out of it.

I must respond:

Why, thank you for clarifying that, Mr. Prime Minister. I had thought that
the other survivors as well as myself were trying to obtain justice and
proper respect for our shaheed sons, brothers, fathers, uncles, and
daughters, sisters, mothers and aunts and all the others sacrificed by the
mobs on the altars of Indira and Rajiv.

Mr. Prime Minister, pray tell, what "political mileage" does a Canadian
grandmother get from reliving these painful memories on a daily basis?

Mr. Prime Minister, whether you like it or not, you will be judged by your
words, as well as your actions.

Mr. Prime Minister, I believe you owe us a big apology.

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Mai Ji,

As I understand, the statement of PM Manmohan Singh Ji is addressed only to the political parties, who raise this issue for the purpose of votes and had done nothng when they were or are in power.

The pain of loss we all suffered cannot be reduced till the justice is done.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Dear Mai Ji,

As I understand, the statement of PM Manmohan Singh Ji is addressed only to the political parties, who raise this issue for the purpose of votes and had done nothng when they were or are in power.

The pain of loss we all suffered cannot be reduced till the justice is done.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

He and his party raise the issue of babri and 2002 riots again and again and do nothing for muslims and ask sikhs to forget riots of 1984.He also raises question on being Nitish Kumar as seculer when he shakes hand with modi.But he himself had Tytler and Sajjan in his cabinet.Manmoan is now really a twin faced politician

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Dear Amarpal Singh Ji,

Whoever this fool was talking to or about, to make such a statement is outrageous for a Prime Minister, much less a Sikh Prime Minister to make. Any mention made of the 1984 carnage should be made with proper respect for those who died and for those still living.

It has always been difficult for me to reconcile his prominence in the party responsible for all this suffering with that dastaar on his head and that (Sikh) Singh in his name. He should be very, very careful not to injure by careless speech the feelings of those he claims as sisters and brothers. I know Dr. Singh to be a highly educated, intelligent human being. In this instance, he said something both hurtful and foolish.

Vaheguru! Haven't we suffered enough without having to further endure this sort of nonsense?!

May 24, 2008
I wonder what to make of Dr. Manmohan Singh's statement who a shining star for Sikhs . Manmohan Singh himself escaped narrowly in 1984 riots . His house was about to be burned when his Hindu son-in-law came to his rescue . He lied to the mob that the house belonged to him, a Hindu not a Sikh & then the crowd went away . Manmohan Singh even bought a house in Chandigarh after 1984 & lived there for few years also because he was AFRAID to be back in Delhi .

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I wonder what to make of Dr. Manmohan Singh's statement who a shining star for Sikhs . Manmohan Singh himself escaped narrowly in 1984 riots . His house was about to be burned when his Hindu son-in-law came to his rescue . He lied to the mob that the house belonged to him, a Hindu not a Sikh & then the crowd went away . Manmohan Singh even bought a house in Chandigarh after 1984 & lived there for few years also because he was AFRAID to be back in Delhi .

The real prime minister of India is Sonia gandhi and not manmohan singh.Manmohan singh
can cross every limit of slavery to her that's why He was selected as prime minister.Many times Manmohan Singh made statements which made him a laughing stock

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
The very strangest of all his statements was when he apologised for these same 1984 "riots." OMG

(They weren't riots, of course, as riots are spontaneous; these were a government-sponsored pogrom). And then we wonder why Bollywood portrays us as buffoons!

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
The real prime minister of India is Sonia gandhi and not manmohan singh.Manmohan singh
can cross every limit of slavery to her that's why He was selected as prime minister.Many times Manmohan Singh made statements which made him a laughing stock

He could have proved to be a real Sikh to be fair if he was a real Sikh, because his own party was involved, to stay in power, he chose a path that makes him more politician than a Sikh. Only one thing I respect him is due to his honesty in context of money since rest of all politician ripped India as much as they could; only Raj Narain was like him, if I am right!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
He could have proved to be a real Sikh to be fair if he was a real Sikh, because his own party was involved, to stay in power, he chose a path that makes him more politician than a Sikh. Only one thing I respect him is due to his honesty in context of money since rest of all politician ripped India as much as they could; only Raj Narain was like him, if I am right!

If he would have been a real sikh or even have some feelings for his community then he could have never been a prime minister.Just think why sonia gandhi chosed a person who has no political base even in his own state of punjab.I was wondering if Chidambram or pranab mukherjee had been projected as Prime minister then chances could have been a complete sweep in favour of congress in bengal or tamil nadu.Both states have 40-42 seats
but sonia gandhi is afraid of any political person Who can make his/her own identity and could threaten her or Rahul's position in party.So a non political mammohan singh was selected who is no threat and even his family is not into politics.

Manmohan singh is just an econmoist and good government servant

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
It is sheer arrogance on the part of those who judge others of being Sikhs or not. Playing Ik Ong Kaar has become a way of life for some and they they claim to love Gurbani and delve only in SGGS. Sheer hypocricy and double standards and it shows.

Only Ik Ong Kaar is the judge. Only Ik Ong Kaar knows which milestone each of us is at. It is dishonest to pretend to play Ik Ong kaar.

No human is perfect. Same goes for Manmohan Singh.

Tejwant Singh

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
No human is perfect. Same goes for Manmohan Singh.

Tejwant ji I am just speaking the truth.Sikhs just had one major hope from him that he will give justice in 1984 riots cases to the victims.He had done nothing and will not do anything in future for 1984 riots victims.He has no feeling towards his community

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant ji I am just speaking the truth.Sikhs just had one major hope from him that he will give justice in 1984 riots cases to the victims.He had done nothing and will not do anything in future for 1984 riots victims.He has no feeling towards his community

KDS1980 ji,

Guru Fateh.

Let us talk about Manmohan Singh as an honest or dishonest politician then, not if he is a Sikh or not because only Ik Ong Kaar knows that and can judge that. This is what I meant by my post

No offense intended.

Tejwant Singh

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
KDS1980 ji,

Guru Fateh.

Let us talk about Manmohan Singh as an honest or dishonest politician then, not if he is a Sikh or not because only Ik Ong Kaar knows that and can judge that. This is what I meant by my post

No offense intended.

Tejwant Singh

Manmohan singh is honest there is no boubt about it.But One has to be a leader to be a PM of India.Unfortunately he is not at all leader.The fact is he is just a puppet in front of his
and many sikhs are now drifted towards him because he is a sikh.

One thing I also want to say that large majority of people of world have some soft corner towards their community but he is such a person who don't have any feelings for sikh victims of 1984.His cabinet had Tytler and sajjan kumar as ministers so here I am sorry but i even want to criticise him as a sikhalso

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Manmohan singh is honest there is no boubt about it.But One has to be a leader to be a PM of India.Unfortunately he is not at all leader.The fact is he is just a puppet in front of his

One thing I also want to say that large majority of people of world have some soft corner towards their community but he is such a person who don't have any feelings for sikh victims of 1984.His cabinet had Tytler and sajjan kumar as ministers so here I am sorry but i even want to criticise him as a sikhalso

Kds1980 ji,

Guru Fateh.

Well, it seems he is not an honest politician. One can judge that from his latest remarks about the 1984 riot victims. Same dishonesty can be labelled to all the turban wearing politicians like Badal and his ilk who became the siamese twin by linking his Akali dal party and himself to BJP- the old Jan Sangh- the Sikh haters, Capt. Arminder and his ilk of Congress party and many more. We can talk in the same manner about late Gyani Jail Singh and Buta Singh as well.

Even some of the honchos of SGPC and DGMC are dishonest. If you remember the Jatherdar of the Akal Takhat of Patna Sahib is or was a bigamist. I have no idea if he is still the Jatehdar.

What I said in my post is that we as Sikhs should not judge others if they are Sikhs or not as we do not judge the Hindus, Muslims and Christians from their actions in the political arena.

This behaviour shows how arrogant we are in pretending to play Ik Ong Kaar. Once again, only Ik Ong knows who is a Sikh or not. Let's leave that to HIS judgement.

Yes, we can call them dishonest.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

Kds1980
Here are some people looking for an opportunity to declare others hypocrites(never look in their own back yard to see how much clutter they have regardless their seeking of Ikk Onkaar), What you have pointed out has merit unlike other’s comments.. I repeat if he is a real Sikh, why dint he being PM of India, never aggressively seek justice for victims of 84 -genocide? If from a PM in an attire of a Sikh, Sikh victims of 84- genocide couldn’t get anything, from who they hope more for the justice? Sikhs stood for justice in History by putting their lives on the line, this guy preferred to glue to the chair of PM instead.
Ponder over this idea, if Ikk Onkaar knows who is who and Sikhs should not judge others then why some people stoop low to call others hypocrites? Isn’t it clear that such people has nothing to do with seeking justice from a Sikh PM but to look for a chance to satisfy own mind’s hunger for attacking others.

Regards
G Singh

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kds1980 ji,

Guru Fateh.

Well, it seems he is not an honest politician. One can judge that from his latest remarks about the 1984 riot victims. Same dishonesty can be labelled to all the turban wearing politicians like Badal and his ilk who became the siamese twin by linking his Akali dal party and himself to BJP- the old Jan Sangh- the Sikh haters, Capt. Arminder and his ilk of Congress party and many more. We can talk in the same manner about late Gyani Jail Singh and Buta Singh as well.

First of all I am sticking with my statement that he is hardly a poltician.I don't think any of his speeches are original.They all come from congress party.As i said above he is very weak so he can't oppose because if he oppose then he will not remain as prime minister.

As far as turban wearing polticians are concerned No doubt they are corrupt but majority of politicians all over the world are corrupt.Look at Dalit,tamil etc politicians they are known as some of the worst corrupt politicians and do hardly anything for their communities.

What I said in my post is that we as Sikhs should not judge others if they are Sikhs or not as we do not judge the Hindus, Muslims and Christians from their actions in the political arena.

Well we have to judge manmohan singh because congress had projected him as a sikh in sikh dominated areas of punjab and exit polls are showing that Akalis are going to loose because sikh Pm was a big draw.
Also jagdish tytler these days call himself as a sikh as his mother was sikh.Can any sikh even say that jagdish tytler is sikh? I don't think so

Also nowhere i said that Manmohan singh is not a sikh but there is a difference between being a sikh and being a real sikh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
People are judged by their actions....as the saying goes..Actions SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS !!
Manmohan Singh has shown by his actions that he is INDIAN FIRST and SIKH SECOND.
During the French Dsataar crsis..he did absolutley NOTHING...as Indian Interests vis a vis French interests dovetailed....Sikh interests came a far third. Since he is the INDIAN PM first and SIKH second..he put the dastaar issue on the backburner and ignored it.
In the Tytler/sajjan kumar issue..he follows the official Congress line.
Just One Day before the Voting..he ECHOED the ADvani/Badal one liner...."JUST FORGET THE 1984 RIOTS EVER HAPPENED.....!!! IF the Hindus cannot forget the Ravan...and burn his effigy at dussehra even after thousands years....how is it possible for sikhs to forget the LIVE BURNING OF SIKHS..after just 25 years ??................:advocate::advocate::crazy::crazy::hmm::hmm::eek::eek::(:(:8-:):8-:)

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I must agree that it is not my place to declare anyone a real Sikh or not. I have my opinions, but they are just that, my opionions. I have often said that it takes more than a dastaar and a Singh - or a Kaur - somewhere in your name to make you a Sikh. Beyond that, I don't have much to say.

I take back that first statement slightly. Kanwar Pal ----- Gill is not a "real Sikh, in spite of his turban and the Singh I have dropped from his name. (I am, after all, a sinner and not above judging him.) I do not put Manmohan Singh in that category, at all.

I wonder how we would all define a "real Sikh," anyway. And would it make any difference whether Manmohan Singh is a "real Sikh" or not to anyone except himself and Akaal Purakh and possibly Guru Gobind Singh Ji, if he is Amritdhari.

My point is that he said something very stupid and hurtful and he ought to have the integrity to apologise to us survivors. Of course, I am not a citicen of the Republic of India, so my views are just academic anyway.

Gurfateh and chardi kala! :ice:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Only Ik Ong Kaar can define/judge who is a real Sikh or not. Not us. So let us leave that to HIM and judge people for what they are and through their deeds in the political arena no matter what religion they belong to.

Yes, I have read it that Manmohan Singh's brothers called him a true Sikh in Amritsar to get the votes for the Congress. In the same token Akali Dal said Manmohan Singh is not a real Sikh to get votes for them and BJP. But that is not the point since my first post.

KDS 1980ji, Pk70ji, Mai ji and others, please do not take this in a personal way. The fact is that we can not pretend to play Ik Ong Kaar by judging who is a real Sikh and not. We can judge them as honest or dishonest people through their deeds or lack there of.

No Offenese intended.

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: