• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Manmohan Singh's Statement On 1984 Riots

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Manmohan Singh betrays a really poor understanding of his community. Since when have Sikhs EVER forgotton incidents like this in the past? We remember the previous ghallugharas and attacks on Sikhs, what makes him think that we are going to change now?

We are a people that place a very high premium on our own corporate recollection of events, and seeing how history is often distorted and whitewashed, this is no small thing.

I have to actually correct what I've said here, because in one respect, yes, this is a part of our past but the truth is that it is actually a living experience for the many that survived those events or were directly affected by losing loved ones. My heart goes out to you all.

The notion that Sikhs will not pursue justice is ridiculous given past behaviour. Manmohan Singh, how could you? I respect your achievements, both academic and that which you have implemented in India for the good of many. But when are you going to follow the Khalsa principles of being hope to those without hope and a restorer of honour to those who have had their honour assailed. Will you be a true Singh and fight injustice or play a part in the ongoing attempt to turn a blind eye to what has happened?

Waheguru.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
People are dying today, so shouldn't we focus on these injustices under our noses rather than lamenting over the past? :shrug:

People are still suffering from the actions in 1984, how can you tell them to forget like that? If you had lost your own family in such an event, I don't think you would be making such statements.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Benjamin Chaudry said:

People are dying today, so shouldn't we focus on these injustices under our noses rather than lamenting over the past? :shrug:​

:mad:NO@:

As a survivor of this carnage, I have your answer. We are still living and dying today...Please consider us before you write.

I wrote this in another forum. Unfortunately, it seems to fit in perfectly here:

Dear Benjamin Chaudry Ji,

I will answer your query and to why we cannot "forgive and forget" the carnage of 1984. Perhaps some are able to forgive and that is very good. I, as yet, am not able, as I still long for and miss my dead husband, son, brothers and the baby daughters who did not live long enough to be born. These are our shaheeds never to be forgotten; certainly they will not be forgotten in my lifetime.

I cannot forget those sweet smiles I will never see again, the children I will never bear, the grandchildren who will never be born. I cannot forget every time I feel the pain in my damaged knee and the improperly healed torn muscle in my leg, or when I see the scars on my body. I cannot forget every night when I sleep a bit and wake and sleep a bit and wake up and this continues until morning. In fact, I haven't gotten a full night's natural sleep in nearly 25 years. I could go on, but that is enough, I think to make my point.

Forgive, yes, very good, for those spiritually advanced enough to do so. (I am not, as yet. Perhaps tomorrow, perhaps soon, I cannot say.) Please, though, do not insult the memory of our shaheeds by suggesting we forget.

Forgive, yes, someday. Maybe. Forget, NEVER!!

Mai Harinder Kaur, Survivor
Chardi kala! :ice:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
People are dying today, so shouldn't we focus on these injustices under our noses rather than lamenting over the past? :shrug:

Actually Benjamin ji

We have enough energy, heart and attention to focus on both, or more, or even more. There is no reason to forget, and every reason to remember. It does not detract from our compassion for other suffering people.

The ability to feel compassion starts at home. If we cannot recognize suffering in ourselves, then how do we recognize suffering felt by others? Compassion is not a fixed item in our emotional budget. It is something that can be spent and spent and spent and it never runs out. The more we give the greater our compassion grows.

Nov 16, 2006
Perth, western Australia
mai Harinder kaur ji,

your quotation from gurbani" ਦਾਦਰ ਤੂ ਕਬਹਿ ਨ ਜਾਨਸਿ ਰੇ ॥
dhaadhar thoo kabehi n jaanas rae ||
You frog, you will never understand.

ਭਖਸਿ ਸਿਬਾਲੁ ਬਸਸਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਜਲ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨ ਲਖਸਿ ਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
bhakhas sibaal basas niramal jal anmrith n lakhas rae ||1|| rehaao ||
You eat the dirt, while you dwell in the immaculate waters. You know nothing of the ambrosial nectar there. ||1||Pause||

it is so beutiful and appropriate that it conveys everything

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM