• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Re: Dairy prodcuts & Sikhism?

13800038 ji,

FIRST OFF THIS IS UNBELIEVABLY DUMB WHAT YOU JUST POSTED (sorry I had to get it out).

I thought Randip ji's response was good, although that was before I read his comments in later messages.....

But now I would like to talk with you.

Drinking milk is a paap if the cow was horribly treated while the milk was taken out of her.

What you have been suggesting is that the moral quality of an action changes with change in background information. For example in this particular case of "drinking milk", the rightness and wrongness of the act is different in each of the following cases:

1. Not knowing what it is (as in the case of an infant).
2. Knowing that it is milk, but no knowledge about where it comes from (a child).
3. Knowing that it is from a cow but with no idea about the fact that it was meant for the calf.
4. Knowing that it is intended for the calf, but thinking that what you got is what is "extra".
5. Knowing that the calf was deprived of milk just so that you could drink it.
6. Knowing that the cow and the calf were subject to bad conditions in the process of getting the milk for you.
7. Knowing that these things generally happen, but no way of knowing for sure whether the milk you are drinking has the same history.
8. Getting to drink the milk you believe has gone through the correct procedure.

But really, does anyone ever think beyond "milk", plain, sweet, chocolate flavour etc. or perhaps compare with tea, coffee and so on, whether one likes it or not and whether it is good or bad for health?

And why should they?
Eating food is eating food, and although this is mostly done with greed, it however is a necessary activity for maintenance and continuance of life, in which case there can in fact be understanding about it. But although it can't be expected that anyone today will have such level of understanding where food is then seen as a kind of medicine, still it must be an innocent activity for everyone is it not? After all, drinking milk is neither killing, lying nor stealing, or do you think that it is?

You make a link between one person's evil actions with another's innocent one. But know that this very activity of yours is itself wrong, and how so? This is because you are in effect encouraging wrong understanding and wrong thinking about one's experience. Instead of leading someone to understand what the reality is there and then, in placing value in thoughts about the past, projecting this into the present with an implication of what the future may bring, is leading others in the wrong direction. And this is a form of evil of a high category.

After watching the video, instead of trying to show what is right and what is wrong to those who consume milk, why not the urgency to try and talk sense into those other people who were involved directly, with the bad treatment of the cows? Of course, I wouldn't encourage you to do this, since I'm quite sure that they wouldn't listen to you. However, I believe that your mistake is that although you do have some idea that causing distress to animals is morally wrong, the understanding is only very vague.

Had your understanding been deeper and the reference was to the quality of mind itself and the associated intention, you'd know to separate the act of drinking and eating food from that of moral / immoral actions performed at other times. Let alone linking one person's actions with that of another, you'd know not to link the two kinds of actions even with reference to one individual alone. If I kill to eat, the killing is no doubt wrong, however even this won't make my eating on a later occasion any different from say, my eating the same meat in a restaurant. In short, beef is not cow and eating is not killing.

I'll leave the rest of your message without commenting except that what you've written is what I consider "thought proliferation" conditioned by attachment and wrong understanding. And this is yet more evidence as to to the greater evil of "wrong understanding", namely that it leads to much perversion of perception and wrong thinking which then conditions accordingly, the behaviour through body, speech and mind.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

13800038 ji,

I thought Randip jis response was good, although that was before I read his comments in later messages.....

Where exactly is my comment "Dumb" in later messages? Please enlighten me Confused ji?

When someone has to resort to personal abuse they have lost the argument.

That is the case with 138000038. She has been warned about this kind of behaviour.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand

Randip ji,

Where exactly is my comment "Dumb" in later messages? Please enlighten me Confused ji?

When someone has to resort to personal abuse they have lost the argument.

That is the case with 138000038. She has been warned about this kind of behaviour.

Or perhaps it is you who is taking it personally?
My comment was about the value of the message, one as interpreted before your later comments, and the other after those comments were made. But I wonder whether you would have judged my response as being ‘personal’ had I expressed only praise for your comments?

Secondly, you used the word “dumb†which is not what came to my own mind as opposite to “goodâ€.

But now let me explain why I changed my mind about your comment,

You had written:

What is this Paap you are talking about?

Is drinking milk a Paap?

Is eating plants a a Paap?

Is eating eggs a Paap?

Is eating meat a Paap?

Is wearng leather a Paap?

Is playing tabla (with goat skin on it), and playing shabads with it a Paap?

The question is what is Paap, and what authority are you using to define this Paap?

What I took the above to suggest was that these, unlike such actions as killing, lying and stealing, were morally neutral actions. And I thought that this was more than enough to give anyone pause for thought. And although 13800038 did not appreciate it, what may be needed is more discussion along this same line. However when in a following post you suggested:

Page 1290

Those who renounce meat, and hold their noses when sitting near it, devour men at night.
They practice hypocrisy, and make a show before other people, but they do not understand anything about meditation or spiritual wisdom.

Nanak recognised that those who profess kindness to animals are just as capable (if not more) nasty and evil to human. Fat Brahmins who were vegetarians would watch low caste children starve to death, because according to them, that was their "Karma" and they had done "Paap" in a former life.

This apparently, did not follow the line of argument which I thought you were making. And what I can see here, is that 138000038 ji can easily respond by saying that her showing kindness to animals also includes showing the same towards human beings. In fact she could even argue that her kindness towards animals is consequence of what she feels for humans.

I myself would have used the same quote that you have given, to point out the wrongness of belief that refraining from eating meat and being a vegetarian leads to moral purity. And this would be more in line with the argument which I originally thought you were making.

Also, your comment about karma and paap in former lives, appear to downplay the significance of these, if not in fact an indirect rejection. And this goes against what I have been trying to encourage here for so long.

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
IF the contention is that "being Sikh" is the issue..then are all those diary farms in the West supplying milk to hypermarkets across the Globe all SIKH ?? Where do the Milk drinking SIKHS in the WEST..and even INDIA..or PUNJAB get their milk from ?? is every milk supplier to every halwaii, restaurant, hotel,roadside dhabbas...even gurdwara ? a SIKH ?? How do we check the authenticity of Sikh milk and non-sikh milk ??
I am sorry...this is the world where NO GOAT ever dies form "old age"....and even IF one or two do die...their number is NOT ENOUGH to cover ALL the MILLIONS of Tablas, Dholkis, Drums, nagaras etc sold in the world...

we need to get real...IF we have Principles and need to stick to them..be like the BHAI SAHIB BHAI RANDHIR SINGH..who demanded and got a cow to personally milk... even in JAIL...the jailor tried to overpower Bhai sahib with the help of 5 or six wardens and force the "forbidden milk" into Bhai sahib jis mouth..NOT a drop went in even though they BROKE his TEETH to insert a hose !!..but sadly 99.9% of Sikhs today are NOT even close to bhai sahib..but we can certianly try..and be real at the same time...???

Okay all I am trying to say is that Sikh's should become vegen because everything that is in the stores which is dairy most likely didn't treat the animal rightfully and gave them a bad life as well. It is fine if you keep you're own cow and milk it by hand but just simply buying milk from people's businesses where they treat the cow wrongfully is wrong because you are making their business go and also you are supporting them. By not buying dairy products you are not supporting them and when you die you can rightfully say you did not support this. Oh yeah and the goat thing right? I forgot to mention that it's okay to use the skin if the goat died when it got sick.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
old goats..and now sick goats....the fact is there simply arent enough of those to make all the tablas the ever increasing ragi jathas are whacking away at all over !! Most of those tabla skins came from goats slaughtered while healthy and full of life !! Who would support a Goat till he is old ?? whats the economic benefit in that ?? I have personally seen THOUSANDS of "HOLY COWS" roaming the streets of Punjab..driven OUT by Hindus and SIKHS..simply becasue they are OLD...unable to give milk any more..or MALES ( Buffaloes and Bulls, camels, donkeys, horses etc also included) which are of no economic use !! IF a "HOLY COW" can get thrown out on its ear..who will be keeping and feeding an old goat/sick goat for years and years just so its skin can be used to make a "HOLY TABLA"..? doesnt sync.
Take a look at this link...this is what JHATKA is all about..RESPONSIBILITY for ones actions..what Gurbani teaches us..and SRM emphasises...why Jhatka is allowed and Hallal is NOT.... http://www.guardian.co.uk/environme...2011/may/27/mark-zuckerberg-kill-animals-meat

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
138000038 ji

If I may come in with some comments.

Okay all I am trying to say is that Sikh's should become vegan because everything that is in the stores which is dairy most likely didn't treat the animal rightfully and gave them a bad life as well. It is fine if you keep you're own cow and milk it by hand

If the latter position is a reaction to the former, then both are just two sides of the same coin. Both involve the same misperceptions and thought proliferation, leading to courses of action which have nothing to do with morality whatsoever.

Examples of wrong / evil actions are killing, stealing, false speech, sexual misconduct, slander, harsh speech, covetousness, idle chatter, ill will and wrong understanding. Right / good actions on the other hand, include moments of restraint from these above actions. So are you saying that the decision to become a vegan or milking your own cow, are actions of moral restraint?

If a bee stings me, and I have the impulse to kill it, but then shame and fear of wrongdoing arises and I refrain from the action, this is moral restraint. Or if I see a diamond ring on the floor and I know that the owner must be around here somewhere, and feel the urge to pocket it, but refrain, this too is moral restraint. How is the situation that you have described above, moral restraint? It sounds more to me like a case of following a course of action judged as good and right just so as to make one feel that one is getting somewhere and good about it.

The hallmark of all those religions out there that teach vegetarianism (and now veganism) as a way to moral purity is that the followers are happy just to follow these rules and no attention is paid to the state of mind. Indeed being a vegetarian is more, if not all important as compared to other considerations, such as speaking the truth, showing kindness, giving and moral restraint.

And how can you expect morality to grow when what should be considered is not given any consideration, namely kindness, giving, moral restraint and most importantly, wisdom, while that which is the product of misperception is given so much attention? And if it is a case of mistaking what is not good moral conduct for good moral conduct, how can it be expected that there will be understanding about anything at all?

One thing I've noticed is that followers of certain religious sects that teach their followers to become vegetarians, these people when it comes to their dealings with other people, for example in business, not only are they ruthless, but also very easily will they lie and cheat in their dealings. But of course this is not unexpected.

The reason is that with a distorted sense of morality but believing otherwise, people get the impression that they are doing the right thing by following them. This not only takes the attention away from other considerations, but also the thought that they are already being 'good and pure' to some extent. And this is exactly the danger of "rules and rituals". And the more one latches on to this impression, the further one goes from ever acting rightly when the situation demands it. And all this gets worse in that new ideas about what is good and right are created to justify those wrong actions, such as, "I do it for my family" or that "this is business" etc.

Perhaps here the quote that Randip ji gave is pertinent:

Quote:
Those who renounce meat, and hold their noses when sitting near it, devour men at night.

They practice hypocrisy, and make a show before other people, but they do not understand anything about meditation or spiritual wisdom.

but just simply buying milk from people's businesses where they treat the cow wrongfully is wrong because you are making their business go and also you are supporting them. By not buying dairy products you are not supporting them and when you die you can rightfully say you did not support this. Oh yeah and the goat thing right? I forgot to mention that it's okay to use the skin if the goat died when it got sick.

Veganism is vegetarianism gone wild, so I'll stick with the latter. It is clear that your concern is towards "your" religion, so what does this say? That you are not really concerned about whether the people involved in killing and torturing cattle will correct their behaviour. That this is just an extension of what at the root is attachment to 'self'/ self-concern. If any degree of concern exists towards those other people, given that your course of action does not directly address the problem, plus the fact that you want "Sikhs" as a whole to also follow you, this appears as arrogant and conceited.

What after all comes across to other people when you and the rest of the Sikhs are known to not eat meat? Do you think that this addresses their problem of having the tendency to kill, one bit? If you stopped and others didn't, do you think that the butcher is going to pay attention to you or would he just ignore you? Indeed if you come across as standing against his values, not only will he not listen to you, but he'd react with ever more vigour in continuing to do what he does? And what if the whole world did stop eating meat, how would this have touched upon the individual's inherent tendency to ignorance, greed and hatred? Killing for the sake of business may cease if no market exists, but would this stop someone from killing for his own consumption as well?

The Christian missionaries were arrogant to have gone out and try to convert people of other beliefs to their own. However they did provide with some direct teachings about morality. But you don't do this, instead you make a statement reflecting a "preference" and not any "Truth". So is this not in a way worse? You don't draw the attention to the question of morality so how can you expect anyone to change? If these people while killing and torturing animals are not moved by the cry of pain and realize their mistakes, how can you expect a vegetarian's behaviour to trigger any moral shame in them?

On the question of what happens when death approaches, what goes on "now" can give a clue as to what will happen then. If our life now is that of greed, hatred, delusion and wrong understanding, so will it be at the time of death, unless we have begun to take steps to change all that. And I don't think that your decision to become a vegan is reflection of anything positive in this regard.

Just random thoughts for you to consider 138000038 ji. Please don't mind the directness of my comments.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

Randip ji,

Or perhaps it is you who is taking it personally?
My comment was about the value of the message, one as interpreted before your later comments, and the other after those comments were made. But I wonder whether you would have judged my response as being personal had I expressed only praise for your comments?

Secondly, you used the word dumbwhich is not what came to my own mind as opposite to good

Well being called Dumb, is pretty personal, don't you think? There is no other way to take it.

...and if I misinterpreted what you were saying then I apologise.

But now let me explain why I changed my mind about your comment,

You had written:

What I took the above to suggest was that these, unlike such actions as killing, lying and stealing, were morally neutral actions. And I thought that this was more than enough to give anyone pause for thought. And although 13800038 did not appreciate it, what may be needed is more discussion along this same line. However when in a following post you suggested:

This apparently, did not follow the line of argument which I thought you were making. And what I can see here, is that 138000038 ji can easily respond by saying that her showing kindness to animals also includes showing the same towards human beings. In fact she could even argue that her kindness towards animals is consequence of what she feels for humans.

I think the Nanakian question was, does one necessarily follow the other, and his conclusiojn was a firm no. These so called protectors of animals were incredibly cruel people to humans.

I myself would have used the same quote that you have given, to point out the wrongness of belief that refraining from eating meat and being a vegetarian leads to moral purity. And this would be more in line with the argument which I originally thought you were making.

Also, your comment about karma and paap in former lives, appear to downplay the significance of these, if not in fact an indirect rejection. And this goes against what I have been trying to encourage here for so long.

Well Karma and former lives has no significance in Sikhism, otherwise we would believe in the caste system if we did.

Nanak says there are Humans, and then other life falls below this.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Okay all I am trying to say is that Sikh's should become vegen because everything that is in the stores which is dairy most likely didn't treat the animal rightfully and gave them a bad life as well.

Firstly could you back up where in Sikhism it encourages Sikhs to be vegan or vegetarian?

Secondly, I think you need to read the essay at the begining of this.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/8828-fools-who-wrangle-over-flesh.html

Sikhs should definitely not become vegan and I definitely would not encourage it.

..but at the end of the day that is their choice. Just as our Guru's stated their was nothing wrong with eating meat there is nothing wrong with being vegan.

It is fine if you keep you're own cow and milk it by hand but just simply buying milk from people's businesses where they treat the cow wrongfully is wrong because you are making their business go and also you are supporting them. By not buying dairy products you are not supporting them and when you die you can rightfully say you did not support this.

Could you elaborate on this with the Sikh view on this?

Oh yeah and the goat thing right? I forgot to mention that it's okay to use the skin if the goat died when it got sick.

..as Giani ji said, this is not what actually happens. Healthy goats are killed for making tablas:

Vaar 23 Pauri 13 of 21 of Vaaran Bhai Gurdas

The proud elephant is inedible and none eats the mighty lion.
Goat is humble and hence it is respected everywhere.
On occasions of death, joy, marriage, yajna, etc only its meat is accepted.
Among the householders its meat is acknowledged as sacred and with its gut stringed instruments are made.
From its leather the shoes are made to be used by the saints merged in their meditation upon the Lord.
Drums are mounted by its skin and then in the holy congregation the delight-giving kirtan, eulogy of the Lord, is sung.
In fact, going to the holy congregation is the same as going to the shelter of the true Guru.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand

Randip ji,

Well being called Dumb, is pretty personal, don't you think? There is no other way to take it.

...and if I misinterpreted what you were saying then I apologise.

I am still puzzled about this, but it does not matter.

I've commented on another part of your response, but have moved that to the "Karma - Birth, Life and Death" thread.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
13800038 ji and others who follow this line of argument:

If you turn vegetarian due to cruelty of animals then you should also not wear clothes you buy in the shops due to the cruelty involved in making those. Cotton involves slave labour and many chemicals. Other fabrics are often created in countries where they do not care about poisoning people, disrupting water supplies or ruining environments. Then the clothes are stitched together in sweat shops which use slave labour, often children. Even organic and fair trade do not guarantee the entire process is without exploitation and "paap". These people suffer for their entire lives, including children. However, making our own clothes is not practical.

Pearls are living creatures and are killed to make jewels. Diamond and other precious jewel mining destroys the countries where they are and often uses the local population as slaves. So many industries involving "paap".

So many Sikhs clamour for vegetarianism but I never hear Sikhs speaking out against
* the sweatshops that make our clothes
* the jewellery industry which is founded completely on exploitation
* non-fairtrade fruit/vegetables/coffee etc which is based on exploitation fo farmers
And so many more.....

Are these causes not worthy of our indignation and action? Does consumption or use of these things not involve "paap" accroding to your way of thinking? How many things can we abstain from? Surely we ahve more power as consumers. If we collectively clamoured for better treatment for people and animals, fairer treatment in all industries and ethical standards, would the world not be a better place? It's very easy to abstain from meat, not so easy to deal with other issues that are at least as worthy if not more so!!! So lets leave these double standards behind and start trying to truly be better people by caring for the rest of the world too.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
BEAUTIFULLY PUT findingmyway JI...HYPOCRACY is what its all about. Target the easy part...and ignore the hard parts...GURU Ji voiced out on ALL those EXPLOITATIONS...soemtimes bluntly and harshly...went to PRISON...sat on Hot Plates..for their conviction...we merely go about eating cucumbers and think we are holy.KHOOB Khanna KHEECHHRREE we declare..see ?? but then who/which SIKH OBEYS Bhagat Kabir Ji and EATS KHICCHHRREE in the "KHOOB" way ?? I bet 99.9% of these vegetarian Sikhs barely cook kicchhrree once ina Blue Moon..when they are SICK..most likely !! why ?? becasue its tasteless thats why !! Kabir Ji wnats us to be Humble...charitable...eat to LIVE...thats why he asks us to eat khicchhrree..(rice+daal)...and Farid Ji advises us to eat Bread that is NOT CHOPPARRED..i.e. without butter/ghee etc....sukee roti..dry bread..Hiw many OBEY that faithfully ??? Which Sant baba eats khicchrree and suki rotis ONLY...NONE !! BUt they ALL preach against meat and its swaad !!! HYPOCRITES with a Capital H.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If you turn vegetarian due to cruelty of animals then you should also not wear clothes you buy in the shops due to the cruelty involved in making those. Cotton involves slave labour and many chemicals. Other fabrics are often created in countries where they do not care about poisoning people, disrupting water supplies or ruining environments. Then the clothes are stitched together in sweat shops which use slave labour, often children. Even organic and fair trade do not guarantee the entire process is without exploitation and "paap". These people suffer for their entire lives, including children. However, making our own clothes is not practical

Well Gandhi used homespun Khadi. We can do for the same purpose.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
13800038 ji and others who follow this line of argument:

If you turn vegetarian due to cruelty of animals then you should also not wear clothes you buy in the shops due to the cruelty involved in making those. Cotton involves slave labour and many chemicals. Other fabrics are often created in countries where they do not care about poisoning people, disrupting water supplies or ruining environments. Then the clothes are stitched together in sweat shops which use slave labour, often children. Even organic and fair trade do not guarantee the entire process is without exploitation and "paap". These people suffer for their entire lives, including children. However, making our own clothes is not practical.

Pearls are living creatures and are killed to make jewels. Diamond and other precious jewel mining destroys the countries where they are and often uses the local population as slaves. So many industries involving "paap".

So many Sikhs clamour for vegetarianism but I never hear Sikhs speaking out against
* the sweatshops that make our clothes
* the jewellery industry which is founded completely on exploitation
* non-fairtrade fruit/vegetables/coffee etc which is based on exploitation fo farmers
And so many more.....

Are these causes not worthy of our indignation and action? Does consumption or use of these things not involve "paap" accroding to your way of thinking? How many things can we abstain from? Surely we ahve more power as consumers. If we collectively clamoured for better treatment for people and animals, fairer treatment in all industries and ethical standards, would the world not be a better place? It's very easy to abstain from meat, not so easy to deal with other issues that are at least as worthy if not more so!!! So lets leave these double standards behind and start trying to truly be better people by caring for the rest of the world too.

Excellent point and the Nanakian point!!

We put animals on some kind of pedalstal and our fellow humans in the gutter!!:whatzpointsing:

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
They prohibit eating meat and force the same on others, but rob the golak to buy a new home. They do not allow women to read akhand paath or read Shlok M 9. They lie to win gurdwara elections. They commit murder in India and smuggle drugs, then run to America and start or coup overthrow leaderships in big sangat gurdwaras. They kiss asses with the RSS. They wear Amditrdhai costumes parading like on Haloween, looking and like Taliban. If you do not believe like they do, they do not book you to preach in their sangat. They pay money to pressure gurdwara secretaries to prevent parcharaks, real gianis from preaching. They only book Brahmans raagis and katavachaks who disguise themselves as Sikhs and their blind faith zealous followers.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Well Gandhi used homespun Khadi. We can do for the same purpose.

Sure, go ahead!! Will the material be grown at home or come from exploited labour? But what about every non-fairtrade vegetable you eat or non-fairtrade cup of coffee/tea you drink? Or will you live secluded and completely self sufficient? Why not become a yogi-as long as you're ok and you're karma is ok why should the rest of the world matter?

What is better-a banana grown by slave labour or free range chicken which are given full freedom in life and a humane deatrh?

Forgive my harsh words. I consider the concept or shielding ourselves only quite narrow minded. Personally I put my money in fairtrade to help whole communities (not just farmers) and other responsible choices so other people will benefit. I also join campaigns for workers rights etc. Karma does not relate just to actions but also to decisions. We have a responsiblity to others but that seems to involve more thinking and money that turning vegetarian so its easy to take the moral high road and look the other way!

When I was in Malawi, Africa, I was lucky enough to work on a fair trade plantation as see what a difference it made. I saw firsthand how much people are exploited. As Randip ji says, humans seem to put animals on a pedestal while other humans can go in the gutter. Here's some food for thought (excuse the pun)
http://www.blackgoldmovie.com/story.php
YouTube - ‪Black Gold Trailer‬‏

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
Cheap labor, cheap humans, cheap parcharaks.

Many rich gurdwaras hire poojaris desparate for money at very low salaries in USA.

The churches and synagogues give their priest, clergy a professional salary plus medical benefits.

Our gurdwaras bring shame on us for hiring granthis, mostly incompetant with no knowlege of Gurbani philosophy, only Brahmanism, and then pay them so little salary and no benefits.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I thought I would add my wife's opinion to this, I have decided my wife is actually more enlightened than me, which is strange as a) she is not looking for enlightenment and b) she actually has no idea how enlightened she is!

We went to the tip last week, we had garden waste to throw away, and it gets all chewed up by the machine. I was just about to put a bin full of grass into the machine feeder,when my wife noticed three snails stuck to the top. Gently she removed each one and placed each snail in the boot of our car. When we got home they were released into the garden. My wife is at her sweetest with animals rather than people, it is her dream to have a dog rescue home in India. That is not to say she does not love people, she works with mostly terminally ill old people in her nursing job, but I digress.,I asked her this morning why she was not a vegetarian. She replied that she had thought about it in her youth, but she did not see any problem with eating meat at all. She reminded me of the Native Americans who used to kill a beast and then worship it to thank it for the meal it would provide, but would then use and eat every scrap for the carcass. This shows respect to the animal.

Her other point was the circle of life, and that perhaps it is because we eat animals that more have not died of extinction. Who knows if the cow or the pig would not be here today if we did take the time to breed and farm them. Her last point was that she could not eat an animal that died a slow death, or was in any unnecessary pain, ideally death with a single blow. I have never mentioned jhatka to my wife, yet she seems to encapsulate the mood of sikhi so easily, she does not drink, smoke, has an abundance of love for everyone she meets. I have been trying to get her to enjoy life more lately, as I do, I love my food, I love the odd drink, whereas my wife actually ate mashed potato and peas the other day, out of choice, whilst I ate steak. I have mentioned to her that she seems to have lost her lust for life, whereas now I think maybe she knows something I do not.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM