• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
At the root is attachment. And what is this attachment aimed at? The eye and the ability to see different colours, the ear and to hear different sounds, the tongue and to tasting different flavours, the nose and to smelling different aromas, the body and to touching different sensations, and the mind and to be able to think different thoughts. In other words, we are most attached to me, mine and I. Ironically however, once we begin to understand (and not just assume) that the person we love most in the world is "me"�, in understanding that everyone else is also like this, we begin to be more sympathetic and kind towards other people.

So although it is a rule that we are all selfish and self-centred and do things all day often at the expense of others, our thoughts may begin to gradually incline towards the opposite direction, namely, the benefit of other people. Furthermore on seeing the difference in the quality of mind necessarily involved in these two states, the one would be perceived as desirable and the other not so.

This is of course not easy, and not only because we have accumulated so much of the tendency to attachment, but because of what in fact is the real problem, namely ignorance. It is because of ignorance that all kinds of evil arise. To know ignorance as ignorance and to know attachment as attachment is wisdom.

When we know that attachment to self, (which is the driving force for survival) comes down to the fundamental experiences such as seeing, hearing and so on, and that these are extremely fleeting and rise and fall away not in anyone's control, there is no reason to then struggle so much in order to get what we want. If we realize that whatever it is that we aim for in our struggle for survival can't ever satisfy except momentarily, is there any sense in continuing mindlessly pursuing those things? If we actually begin to see that the attachment itself is a state of agitation and that the detachment which comes with understanding is of the opposing quality, do we still wish to rely on attachment as means to happiness?

It all depend on interpretation if you are saying that root of survival is attachment then one can also say that even desire to live is attachment . If One old man who is suffering from terminally ill disease is trying to survive then one can say he is brave man fighting the illness ,the other may say that he is so much attached to life.

You may have dropped some word out in the above or I am just too dense right now. But I am very curious to know what is behind the second meaning you mention above and how some Indian saints, Jains and rich people are the same in this regard. So please elaborate.
I don't understand what you don't understand in my argument .I don't think any abrahamic religion recommended vegetarianism yet they have concept of daya ,let other people live
But Some form, of Hinduism and jainism took this concept further too animals too.

Are you saying here that those saints and rich people were wrong due to some perversion of thought and that the normal and sensible thing to do is to aim at survival?

Yes in my eyes they were wrong because they had limited view of world which they saw around them.None of the abrahamic prophet advocated vegetarianism because in their surrounding vegetarianism was impossible to apply

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
Some people argue that we should not eat meat because animals are lower than us, eating each other animals.

Then perhaps we should not drink water because animals drink water. Should we drink air?

I heard that many years ago, Brahmans forbad other people to eat meat, and they engored it themselves which made them a stronger race. I also heard that Brahmans did not come from India, but from the Aryan race which infiltrated the Hindu communities, imposing the caste system.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Why is a Khalsa here? to convert the masses? to spread the word of god to the unenlightened?

I do not think so, not to the degree that is present in other faiths anyway.

Khalsa is here to serve, to fight for injustice, to be a friend to the poor and needy, to bring peace to those that fear, feed the starving, and all in the name of the creator.

For a Khalsa to do this properly, Khalsa has to be strong and fit, so that they have the energy, both spiritual and physical to carry out these tasks, The creator has provided an abundance of food for the Khalsa, provided it is killed by way of jhatka, provided that respect is shown to the animal that gave its life so that khalsa can carry on with the creators work.

In the absence of jhatka, I think that being fit and able to carry out the hukam of the creator is more important than the transgression of the principle of jhatka,

be vegetarian by all means, meditate, judge, think, but only a khalsa will see the bigger picture, and not only his role in that, but the role of others around him, be they animal or human.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The Modern day Brahmans" that have INFILTRATED the KHALSA via the back-door of the Nirmala/udasi/sanatan dharma/bhagwa coloured BABAS of the various DERAS and CULTS- Radha Soamis, Narakdharees, Namdharees, nanaksarees, GHAGREEWALLHS (aka dhadreewallah)...are doing the exact same thing the Aryan Brahmans did to the Indian population 3000 years ago.....CURB the DIET that makes strong and robust race and that will make it easier to SUBJUGATe and CONQUER them..as is already happening..in PUNJAB, the Khalsa is the most SUBSERVIENT...moral-less, now drowning in Nasha, drugs, prostitution, vehlarrbazee gangster bazee etc etc..NO work no Play..all day HIGH !! THIS is the DIRECT RESULT of the HUNDRED THOUSAND DERAS IN PUNJAB !! Only a FOOL will DENY the fact. Each DERA claims to be making THOUSANDS of "amrtidharees"..on a "Daily" Basis..ghagreewallah is the current champion.....YET we see less and less DERAWALLAHS celebrating GURPURABS of the GURUS..and More and More B{censored}ES of their own DEAD BABAS !! Does any Baba...GhaGhreewallah ?? go to pakistan..in spite of hundred over Gurdwaras there..for parchaar..?? NO NEVER..not even malaysia..( our currency is too small compared to USD EUROS POUNDS )...currently 3 Major Babas are in line for a California TOUR...and many more at the American Visa office...These DERAWALLAHS have Manufactured hundreds of thosuands of SEVADAARS...wanna be granthis pathis for hire etc...all bred to live OFF the Hardworking populace....and be collection agents for their Baba Ji...

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Gyani Jarnail Singh ji, Randip Singh ji, Harry Haller ji, Harsimritkaur ji you collectively have in the latest posts hit the nail on the head. Specially the following per Gyani Jarnail Singh ji,

The Modern day Brahmans" that have INFILTRATED the KHALSA via the back-door of the Nirmala/udasi/sanatan dharma/bhagwa coloured BABAS of the various DERAS and CULTS- Radha Soamis, Narakdharees, Namdharees, nanaksarees, GHAGREEWALLHS (aka dhadreewallah)...are doing the exact same thing the Aryan Brahmans did to the Indian population 3000 years ago

This is the exact reason that I keep referring to Babeys/Sants in my posts even on other subjects or threads.

Let it be resolved that,

• eating meat is allowed in Sikhism and the only restriction per SRM is eating meat prepared the Islamic way, sacrificial and slow killing of animals.

Nobody is forced to eat meat. So vegans are allowed but let there be no reference to Gurbani and Gurus in this respect as a basis of doing so versus non-vegans.

Thank you all.

Sat Sri Akal.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Randip ji,

Quote: Originally Posted by 13800038
The animal loves its life as much as you. You seem to bring the wrong idea out of this. Who cares about the benefit? It's the life that counts.

I sincerely do not mean offence to you of Confused, but what has this got to do with Sikhism?

And why do you say that it has nothing to do with Sikhism?
Does Sikhism not talk about non-harming? Does it not teach about empathy? Does it not talk about the fact that living things have a craving for continued existence and this means that no human nor animal would like to be killed?

What do you understand as the Sikh view on meat. I say the same thing to Confused.

Well, 13800038 ji is talking about killing / not killing and not about consuming meat. Do you not see these two as being separate issues?

Please back up with shabads. No straying into Peta, and what an animal feels etc. What is the SIKH view?

Back up which point, eating / not eating meat or killing / not killing beings? If you are asserting that it is OK to kill animals according to Sikhism, can you back this up with some direct quote?

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Randip ji,

Forget explanations and the rights and wrongs , but what is the SIKH view?

You mean you read the scriptures without any understanding as to what is being proposed as right is right and what is said to be wrong is wrong? When you express the Sikh view, are you involved simply in parroting, or do you come in with your own particular interpretation?

This thread is about the SIKH view. Please stick to that. I await your response.

Sometime ago, on feeling frustrated by the views expressed here with regard to Karma, I asked my wife about it on our way back in the car. She said something like, "If you don't believe in Karma, what then is the basis for morality?" I thought to myself, "Bravo, I'm sure many Sikhs will agree with that". Besides, some Sikhs have also said to me that I'm more Sikh than most ......

My point here Randip ji, is that you have your own Sikh view, but you should know that there are other Sikhs who will not agree with your interpretation. And based on my wife's reaction I believe that I've been more or less in line with some of what is actually taught in Sikhism. What I speak against then is not Sikh, but your and some other people's interpretation of Sikhism. You therefore need to refrain from making the kind of assertion which in the end only reflects *your interpretation* but claimed to be the definitive Sikh view. Besides given the meaning of "Sikh", you appear to actually go against this because the attitude expressed sounds almost as if you are done learning.....

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
"Awal Allah nuur upaya
Qudrat ke sabh bande
Ek noor te sabh jag upjeya
Kaon bhale ko mande" ang 1349

Also

"Khak noor kardang duniayey
Asmaan zamin drakh pedaish Khudaye"... ang 723

They say we should not eat meat because we would be destroying the animals.

Perhaps we should not even drink water or eat food, because we would be destroying the tiny particles that God created.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
"Awal Allah nuur upaya
Qudrat ke sabh bande

Also

Perhaps we should not even drink water or eat food, because we would be destroying the tiny particles that God created.
Harsimiratkaur ji you are confusing me. Can you please post the complete shabads and then make your point.

Sat Sri AAkal.

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
We cannot even destroy anything. It the laws of physics, nothing gets destroyed. Things only convert to a different composition of molecules. The word ghatant to mean refers to change, not complete destruction. We cannot make anything completely be outside of God's huqam. Everything converts to a differing state of existence in the patalan patal, lakh agasa agas.

Ghatant ruupang, ghatant dipang, ghatan rav sasiry nekyetr gaganang

Beauty fades away, islands fade away, the sun, moon, stars and sky fade away.

Ghatant basuda gir tar sukhandang

The earth, mountains, forests and lands fade away.

Ghatant lalna sut brat hitang

One's spouse, children, siblings and loved friends fade away.
Ghatant kanik, manik, maya swaroopang

Gold and jewels and the incomparable beauty of Maya fade away.
Ne ghatant keval Gopal achut

Only the Eternal, Unchanging Lord does not fade away.
Astrirang Nanak sadh jan ]9]

O Nanak, only the humble Saints are steady and stable forever. ||9||

Shlok Seheskriti M 5 ang 1354

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
We cannot even destroy anything. It the laws of physics, nothing gets destroyed. Things only convert to a different composition of molecules. The word ghatant to mean refers to change, not complete destruction. We cannot make anything completely be outside of God's huqam. Everything converts to a differing state of existence in the patalan patal, lakh agasan agas.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Kanwardeep ji,

It all depend on interpretation if you are saying that root of survival is attachment then one can also say that even desire to live is attachment . If One old man who is suffering from terminally ill disease is trying to survive then one can say he is brave man fighting the illness ,the other may say that he is so much attached to life.

Or you may yourself say on another occasion, that he is afraid to die. Bravery then would be, not being so afraid because one understands the way things are and accepts it. Facing the pain with understanding is being brave, fighting the illness in order to escape from the pain is natural, but let us not call this brave.

Quote: You may have dropped some word out in the above or I am just too dense right now. But I am very curious to know what is behind the second meaning you mention above and how some Indian saints, Jains and rich people are the same in this regard. So please elaborate.

I don't understand what you don't understand in my argument .I don't think any abrahamic religion recommended vegetarianism yet they have concept of daya ,let other people live

You appear to be linking the idea of vegetarianism with that of killing / non-killing. If you are in fact saying that Abrahamic religions encourage killing and yet they can have compassion, you are correct. But this will be in spite of the human-cantered values and not because of it. But if you think that it comes from seeing man as the only worthy object of daya, this is quite a perversion of thought. Any supposed compassion arising must surely then be something else mistaken for the real thing, perhaps it is only pity. And pity is in fact a form of aversion, and aversion being conditioned by attachment, indicates that the relationship towards other human beings must be that of attachment. And taking this further, because in fact the attachment comes down to 'me' and 'mine', other people must then only be extensions of our own self. And so it becomes just a game of delusion.

But Some form, of Hinduism and jainism took this concept further too animals too.

So you are in fact saying that compassion can arise only with the perception of this particular hairless animal with two legs and two feet, (with or without clothes). And if someone felt something positive for hairy quadrupeds, feathered bipeds, scaly creatures swimming in the water or those crawling without any limbs, and thought that that was compassion, they are in fact fooled by a projected ideal.

Please tell me then, what is it about the image of "man" that qualifies him as worthy recipient for compassion and what is there in an animal which makes it impossible as object of compassion? Is it because you can relate to human beings and can't feel the same about some furry animal that can't speak but only know to make strange sounds? Is it because you can use "thy" and "thou" with regard to human beings whereas the animal will always remain an "it" to you?

Well if this is along the lines of what you really think, as far as I'm concerned, you have never known any compassion, not for any human being even. Because if you did, you'd know that compassion is aimed at the suffering of others and must in fact be preceded by kindness. If you have never experienced any kindness towards animals and if you have never perceived them as suffering beings, then you must be quite dead to anyone else's feelings. You only react to your own pleasant and unpleasant feelings. A human being is favored because he gives you pleasure and when something happens to him, it is not he that you care about, but the loss of your own pleasant feelings. What comes across as concern for the other is in fact the agitation which comes with aversion towards the new situation. In other words, it is all about YOU from beginning to end.

Quote: Are you saying here that those saints and rich people were wrong due to some perversion of thought and that the normal and sensible thing to do is to aim at survival?

Yes in my eyes they were wrong because they had limited view of world which they saw around them.None of the abrahamic prophet advocated vegetarianism because in their surrounding vegetarianism was impossible to apply

While vegetarianism in these cases is result of wrong understanding, however at some point there may actually have been genuine compassion towards animals. Advocating killing of animals on the other hand, can at no point ever be right! It can be made to appear justified through holding a particular view about things, one which is opposed to the limited view which those saints and rich people held, namely a comprehensive and all-encompassing view of the world.

And by this comprehensive view do you mean, thinking about plants, animals, humans, the environment, the earth through the eye of Darwin's theory of Natural Selection, and going further to relate this to the earth's place in the solar system, galaxy, universe and the cosmos? And what is man's place in relation all of this and how everything might be interconnected like a net of jewels? Or is it something even more? But let me ask you this:

When a mosquito bites you and you swat it, is this not because of aversion and not because you are thinking in terms of your and the mosquito's place in the scheme of things? When you chop off the chicken's head in order cook it for dinner, is it because you think in terms of natural selection, that you are motivated to do it, or is it that you think only about eating a tasty dish of chicken? It takes quite a bit of bullheadedness to deny what the real motivation for the killing is, and it takes a good deal of living in one's own head to then refer to an abstract idea such as 'the natural scheme of things', in order that the killing appear justified.

So thanks but no thanks for the kind of view which you think is superior.

If the Abrahamic prophets are claiming that killing for food is justified because the environment does not allow for vegetation, this is plain silliness on their part and foolish of you to agree with them. Animals kill for food but do so only enough to fill their bellies. They however do not entertain such silliness of view, one which makes man much more dangerous than any animal can ever be.

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
Why post an entire shabbad, because some of them are several pages long. Shlok Seheskrit M 5 is too much to read to make a small comment. I am trying to save time for all readers as the panktis I use are famous, anyway.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Harisimratkaur ji

The posting of an entire shabad is a forum Term of Service. There is only good reason for it. Saving time is laudable, true. However, the tendency to throw out a tuk here and pangatee there to prove a point is so tempting for so many who wish to discuss tenets of Sikhi. The result is that of posting the tuk that "proves" one's point, often missing the point of the tuk. Even worse is the tendency to search on a single word or term, and then to stack tuks and pangatees up in an article, 4 or 5 or even 20 to make a case. The cumulative effect is very impressive. The posters seems to know his/her stuff. But there again, the same idea expressed in Gurbani in one pangatee contributes a different meaning depending on the context of the shabad that surrounds it.

We are here to promote understanding of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and discussion of shabads is the ideal way. Per Professor Sahib Singh, the meanings of words and pangatees, even of shabads, requires a wholistic reading of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. As we gather the big encompassing ideas, then the particulars of word and phrase begin to fall into place.

By posting from http://www.srigranth.org the posting of long shabad goes much faster.

Thanks for your question.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip ji,

And why do you say that it has nothing to do with Sikhism?
Does Sikhism not talk about non-harming? Does it not teach about empathy? Does it not talk about the fact that living things have a craving for continued existence and this means that no human nor animal would like to be killed?

Well, 13800038 ji is talking about killing / not killing and not about consuming meat. Do you not see these two as being separate issues?

Back up which point, eating / not eating meat or killing / not killing beings? If you are asserting that it is OK to kill animals according to Sikhism, can you back this up with some direct quote?
:sippingcoffee:

NO

You back it up with a quote that say's it is NOT ok (whatever you are saying)!!

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip ji,

You mean you read the scriptures without any understanding as to what is being proposed as right is right and what is said to be wrong is wrong? When you express the Sikh view, are you involved simply in parroting, or do you come in with your own particular interpretation?

Sometime ago, on feeling frustrated by the views expressed here with regard to Karma, I asked my wife about it on our way back in the car. She said something like, "If you don't believe in Karma, what then is the basis for morality?" I thought to myself, "Bravo, I'm sure many Sikhs will agree with that". Besides, some Sikhs have also said to me that I'm more Sikh than most ......

My point here Randip ji, is that you have your own Sikh view, but you should know that there are other Sikhs who will not agree with your interpretation. And based on my wife's reaction I believe that I've been more or less in line with some of what is actually taught in Sikhism. What I speak against then is not Sikh, but your and some other people's interpretation of Sikhism. You therefore need to refrain from making the kind of assertion which in the end only reflects *your interpretation* but claimed to be the definitive Sikh view. Besides given the meaning of "Sikh", you appear to actually go against this because the attitude expressed sounds almost as if you are done learning.....

NO

Please quote a shabad with an explanation. No one words replies. No one liners!

It is very simple. motherlylove

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
"Awal Allah nuur upaya
Qudrat ke sabh bande

Has no reference to eating or not eating meat. Hence the suggestion at SPN please quote full Shabad and describe how you comment or deduce what you do!

Also

Again quoted below in full and , has no reference to eating or not eating meat. Hence the suggestion at SPN please quote full Shabad and describe how you comment or deduce what you do!

The above shabads say no such thing.

Essence of First Shabad:
The first shabad simply states that all is made of one and the same as made by the creator.

Essence of second Shabad:
The second shabad simply states all being one and then goes on to practices of the mislead going after maya and snatching what belongs to others like animals and the futility of the same.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ਪ੍ਰਭਾਤੀ ਅਵਲਿ ਅਲਹ ਨੂਰੁ ਉਪਾਇਆ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕੇ ਸਭ ਬੰਦੇ ਏਕ ਨੂਰ ਤੇ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਉਪਜਿਆ ਕਉਨ ਭਲੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਦੇ ॥੧॥
प्रभाती ॥ अवलि अलह नूरु उपाइआ कुदरति के सभ बंदे ॥ एक नूर ते सभु जगु उपजिआ कउन भले को मंदे ॥१॥
Parbẖāṯī.Aval alah nūr upā▫i▫ā kuḏraṯ ke sabẖ banḏe.Ėk nūr ṯe sabẖ jag upji▫ā ka▫un bẖale ko manḏe. ||1||
Prabhaatee:First, Allah created the Light; then, by His Creative Power, He made all mortal beings.From the One Light, the entire universe welled up. So who is good, and who is bad? ||1||
ਅਵਲਿ = ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ, ਸ਼ੁਰੂ ਵਿਚ, ਸਭ ਦਾ ਮੂਲ। ਅਲਹ ਨੂਰ = ਅੱਲਾਹ ਦਾ ਨੂਰ, ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਜੋਤ। ਉਪਾਇਆ = (ਜਿਸ ਨੇ ਜਗਤ) ਪੈਦਾ ਕੀਤਾ। ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕੇ = ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਦੀ ਕੁਦਰਤ ਦੇ (ਪੈਦਾ ਕੀਤੇ ਹੋਏ)। ਨੂਰ = ਜੋਤ। ਤੇ = ਤੋਂ। ਕੋ = ਕੌਣ?।੧।

ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਖ਼ੁਦਾ ਦਾ ਨੂਰ ਹੀ ਹੈ ਜਿਸ ਨੇ (ਜਗਤ) ਪੈਦਾ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੈ, ਇਹ ਸਾਰੇ ਜੀਅ-ਜੰਤ ਰੱਬ ਦੀ ਕੁਦਰਤ ਦੇ ਹੀ ਬਣਾਏ ਹੋਏ ਹਨ। ਇਕ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਹੀ ਜੋਤ ਤੋਂ ਸਾਰਾ ਜਗਤ ਪੈਦਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ। (ਤਾਂ ਫਿਰ ਕਿਸੇ ਜਾਤ ਮਜ਼ਹਬ ਦੇ ਭੁਲੇਖੇ ਵਿਚ ਪੈ ਕੇ) ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਚੰਗਾ ਤੇ ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਮੰਦਾ ਨਾਹ ਸਮਝੋ।੧।

ਲੋਗਾ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੂਲਹੁ ਭਾਈ ਖਾਲਿਕੁ ਖਲਕ ਖਲਕ ਮਹਿ ਖਾਲਿਕੁ ਪੂਰਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਸ੍ਰਬ ਠਾਂਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
लोगा भरमि न भूलहु भाई ॥ खालिकु खलक खलक महि खालिकु पूरि रहिओ स्रब ठांई ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Logā bẖaram na bẖūlahu bẖā▫ī.Kẖālik kẖalak kẖalak mėh kẖālik pūr rahi▫o sarab ṯẖāʼn▫ī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
O people, O Siblings of Destiny, do not wander deluded by doubt.The Creation is in the Creator, and the Creator is in the Creation, totally pervading and permeating all places. ||1||Pause||
ਲੋਗਾ = ਹੇ ਲੋਕੋ! ਭਾਈ = ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਖਾਲਕੁ = (ਜਗਤ ਨੂੰ) ਪੈਦਾ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ। ਸ੍ਰਬ ਠਾਂਈ = ਸਭ ਥਾਂ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਹੇ ਲੋਕੋ! ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! (ਰੱਬ ਦੀ ਹਸਤੀ ਬਾਰੇ) ਕਿਸੇ ਭੁਲੇਖੇ ਵਿਚ ਪੈ ਕੇ ਖ਼ੁਆਰ ਨਾਹ ਹੋਵੋ। ਉਹ ਰੱਬ ਸਾਰੀ ਖ਼ਲਕਤ ਨੂੰ ਪੈਦਾ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਸਾਰੀ ਖ਼ਲਕਤ ਵਿਚ ਮੌਜੂਦ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਸਭ ਥਾਂ ਭਰਪੂਰ ਹੈ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਮਾਟੀ ਏਕ ਅਨੇਕ ਭਾਂਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਸਾਜੀ ਸਾਜਨਹਾਰੈ ਨਾ ਕਛੁ ਪੋਚ ਮਾਟੀ ਕੇ ਭਾਂਡੇ ਨਾ ਕਛੁ ਪੋਚ ਕੁੰਭਾਰੈ ॥੨॥
माटी एक अनेक भांति करि साजी साजनहारै ॥ ना कछु पोच माटी के भांडे ना कछु पोच कु्मभारै ॥२॥
Mātī ek anek bẖāʼnṯ kar sājī sājanhārai.Nā kacẖẖ pocẖ mātī ke bẖāʼnde nā kacẖẖ pocẖ kumbẖārai. ||2||
The clay is the same, but the Fashioner has fashioned it in various ways.There is nothing wrong with the pot of clay - there is nothing wrong with the Potter. ||2||
ਭਾਂਤਿ = ਕਿਸਮ। ਸਾਜੀ = ਪੈਦਾ ਕੀਤੀ, ਬਣਾਈ। ਪੋਚ = ਐਬ, ਊਣਤਾਈ।੨।

ਸਿਰਜਨਹਾਰ ਨੇ ਇੱਕੋ ਹੀ ਮਿੱਟੀ ਤੋਂ (ਭਾਵ, ਇੱਕੋ ਜਿਹੇ ਹੀ ਤੱਤਾਂ ਤੋਂ) ਅਨੇਕਾਂ ਕਿਸਮਾਂ ਦੇੁ ਜੀਆ-ਜੰਤ ਪੈਦਾ ਕਰ ਦਿੱਤੇ ਹਨ। (ਜਿੱਥੋਂ ਤਕ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦੇ ਅਸਲੇ ਦਾ ਸੰਬੰਧ ਹੈ) ਨਾਹ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਮਿੱਟੀ ਦੇ ਭਾਂਡਿਆਂ (ਭਾਵ, ਜੀਵਾਂ) ਵਿਚ ਕੋਈ ਊਣਤਾ ਹੈ, ਤੇ ਨਾਹ (ਇਹਨਾਂ ਭਾਂਡਿਆਂ ਦੇ ਬਣਾਣ ਵਾਲੇ) ਘੁਮਿਆਰ ਵਿਚ।੨।

ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਸਚਾ ਏਕੋ ਸੋਈ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਕੀਆ ਸਭੁ ਕਛੁ ਹੋਈ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਨੈ ਸੁ ਏਕੋ ਜਾਨੈ ਬੰਦਾ ਕਹੀਐ ਸੋਈ ॥੩॥
सभ महि सचा एको सोई तिस का कीआ सभु कछु होई ॥ हुकमु पछानै सु एको जानै बंदा कहीऐ सोई ॥३॥
Sabẖ mėh sacẖā eko so▫ī ṯis kā kī▫ā sabẖ kacẖẖ ho▫ī.Hukam pacẖẖānai so eko jānai banḏā kahī▫ai so▫ī. ||3||
The One True Lord abides in all; by His making, everything is made.Whoever realizes the Hukam of His Command, knows the One Lord. He alone is said to be the Lord's slave. ||3||
ਸੋਈ = ਉਹੀ ਮਨੁੱਖ।੩।

ਉਹ ਸਦਾ ਕਾਇਮ ਰਹਿਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਵੱਸਦਾ ਹੈ। ਜੋ ਕੁਝ ਜਗਤ ਵਿਚ ਹੋ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ, ਉਸੇ ਦਾ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੋ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ। ਉਹੀ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਰੱਬ ਦਾ (ਪਿਆਰਾ) ਬੰਦਾ ਕਿਹਾ ਜਾ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜੋ ਉਸ ਦੀ ਰਜ਼ਾ ਨੂੰ ਪਛਾਣਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਉਸ ਇਕ ਨਾਲ ਸਾਂਝ ਪਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ।੩।

ਅਲਹੁ ਅਲਖੁ ਜਾਈ ਲਖਿਆ ਗੁਰਿ ਗੁੜੁ ਦੀਨਾ ਮੀਠਾ ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਮੇਰੀ ਸੰਕਾ ਨਾਸੀ ਸਰਬ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਡੀਠਾ ॥੪॥੩॥
अलहु अलखु न जाई लखिआ गुरि गुड़ु दीना मीठा ॥ कहि कबीर मेरी संका नासी सरब निरंजनु डीठा ॥४॥३॥
Alhu alakẖ na jā▫ī lakẖi▫ā gur guṛ ḏīnā mīṯẖā.Kahi Kabīr merī sankā nāsī sarab niranjan dīṯẖā. ||4||3||
The Lord Allah is Unseen; He cannot be seen. The Guru has blessed me with this sweet molasses.Says Kabeer, my anxiety and fear have been taken away; I see the Immaculate Lord pervading everywhere. ||4||3||
ਅਲਖੁ = ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਮੁਕੰਮਲ ਸਰੂਪ ਬਿਆਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ। ਗੁੜੁ = (ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਗੁਣਾਂ ਦੀ ਸੂਝ-ਰੂਪ) ਗੁੜ। ਗੁਰਿ = ਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ। ਸੰਕਾ = ਸ਼ੱਕ, ਭੁਲੇਖਾ। ਸਰਬ = ਸਾਰਿਆਂ ਵਿਚ।੪।

ਉਹ ਰੱਬ ਐਸਾ ਹੈ ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਮੁਕੰਮਲ ਸਰੂਪ ਬਿਆਨ ਤੋਂ ਪਰੇ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਦੇ ਗੁਣ ਕਹੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾ ਸਕਦੇ। ਕਬੀਰ ਆਖਦਾ ਹੈ-ਮੇਰੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ (ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਗੁਣਾਂ ਦੀ ਸੂਝ-ਰੂਪ) ਮਿੱਠਾ ਗੁੜ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ (ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਸੁਆਦ ਤਾਂ ਮੈਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਦੱਸ ਸਕਦਾ, ਪਰ) ਮੈਂ ਉਸ ਮਾਇਆ ਰਹਿਤ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੂੰ ਹਰ ਥਾਂ ਵੇਖ ਲਿਆ ਹੈ, ਮੈਨੂੰ ਇਸ ਵਿਚ ਕੋਈ ਸ਼ੱਕ ਨਹੀਂ ਰਿਹਾ (ਮੇਰਾ ਅੰਦਰ ਕਿਸੇ ਜਾਤ ਜਾਂ ਮਜ਼ਹਬ ਦੇ ਬੰਦਿਆਂ ਦੀ ਉੱਚਤਾ ਜਾਂ ਨੀਚਤਾ ਦਾ ਕਰਮ ਨਹੀਂ ਰਿਹਾ)।੪।੩। ❁ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦਾ ਭਾਵ: ਸਰਬ-ਵਿਆਪਕ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਹੀ ਸਾਰੇ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦਾ ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰ ਹੈ। ਸਭ ਦਾ ਅਸਲਾ ਇਕੋ ਹੈ, ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਮੰਦਾ ਨਾਹ ਆਖੋ।

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:
xxx

ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਇੱਕ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਾਲ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ।

ਖਾਕ ਨੂਰ ਕਰਦੰ ਆਲਮ ਦੁਨੀਆਇ ਅਸਮਾਨ ਜਿਮੀ ਦਰਖਤ ਆਬ ਪੈਦਾਇਸਿ ਖੁਦਾਇ ॥੧॥
खाक नूर करदं आलम दुनीआइ ॥ असमान जिमी दरखत आब पैदाइसि खुदाइ ॥१॥
Kẖāk nūr karḏaʼn ālam ḏunī▫ā▫e.Asmān jimī ḏarkẖaṯ āb paiḏā▫is kẖuḏā▫e. ||1||
The Lord infused His Light into the dust, and created the world, the universe.The sky, the earth, the trees, and the water - all are the Creation of the Lord. ||1||
ਖਾਕ = ਖ਼ਾਕ, ਮਿੱਟੀ, ਅਚੇਤਨ। ਨੂਰ = ਜੋਤੀ, ਆਤਮਾ। ਕਰਦੰ = ਬਣਾ ਦਿੱਤਾ। ਆਲਮ = ਜਹਾਨ। ਜਿਮੀ = ਜ਼ਿਮੀ, ਧਰਤੀ। ਦਰਖਤ = ਦਰਖ਼ਤ, ਰੁੱਖ। ਆਬ = ਪਾਣੀ। ਪੈਦਾਇਸਿ ਖੁਦਾਇ = ਪੈਦਾਇਸ਼ਿ ਖ਼ੁਦਾਇ, ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਰਚਨਾ। ਖੁਦਾਇ = ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ।੧।

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਚੇਤਨ ਜੋਤਿ ਅਤੇ ਅਚੇਤਨ ਮਿੱਟੀ ਮਿਲਾ ਕੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨੇ ਇਹ ਜਗਤ ਇਹ ਜਹਾਨ ਬਣਾ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ। ਆਸਮਾਨ, ਧਰਤੀ, ਰੁੱਖ, ਪਾਣੀ (ਆਦਿਕ ਇਹ ਸਭ ਕੁਝ) ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਰਚਨਾ ਹੈ।੧।

ਬੰਦੇ ਚਸਮ ਦੀਦੰ ਫਨਾਇ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਮੁਰਦਾਰ ਖੁਰਦਨੀ ਗਾਫਲ ਹਵਾਇ ਰਹਾਉ
बंदे चसम दीदं फनाइ ॥ दुनींआ मुरदार खुरदनी गाफल हवाइ ॥ रहाउ ॥
Banḏe cẖasam ḏīḏaʼn fanā▫e.Ḏunīʼn▫ā murḏār kẖurḏanī gāfal havā▫e. Rahā▫o.
O human being, whatever you can see with your eyes, shall perish.The world eats dead carcasses, living by neglect and greed. ||Pause||
ਬੰਦੇ = ਹੇ ਮਨੁੱਖ! ਚਸਮ = ਚਸ਼ਮ, ਅੱਖਾਂ। ਦੀਦੰ = ਦਿੱਸਦਾ। ਫਨਾਇ = ਫ਼ਨਾਇ, ਨਾਸਵੰਤ। ਮੁਰਦਾਰ = ਹਰਾਮ। ਖੁਰਦਨੀ = ਖ਼ੁਰਦਨੀ, ਖਾਣ ਵਾਲੀ। ਗਾਫਲ = ਗ਼ਾਫ਼ਲ, ਭੁੱਲੀ ਹੋਈ। ਹਵਾਇ = ਹਿਰਸ, ਲਾਲਚ।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਹੇ ਮਨੁੱਖ! ਜੋ ਕੁਝ ਤੂੰ ਅੱਖੀਂ ਵੇਖਦਾ ਹੈਂ ਨਾਸਵੰਤ ਹੈ। ਪਰ ਦੁਨੀਆ (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ) ਲਾਲਚ ਵਿਚ (ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਵਲੋਂ) ਭੁੱਲੀ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ, ਤੇ, ਹਰਾਮ ਖਾਂਦੀ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ (ਪਰਾਇਆ ਹੱਕ ਖੋਂਹਦੀ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ)।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਗੈਬਾਨ ਹੈਵਾਨ ਹਰਾਮ ਕੁਸਤਨੀ ਮੁਰਦਾਰ ਬਖੋਰਾਇ ਦਿਲ ਕਬਜ ਕਬਜਾ ਕਾਦਰੋ ਦੋਜਕ ਸਜਾਇ ॥੨॥
गैबान हैवान हराम कुसतनी मुरदार बखोराइ ॥ दिल कबज कबजा कादरो दोजक सजाइ ॥२॥
Gaibān haivān harām kusṯanī murḏār bakẖorā▫e.Ḏil kabaj kabjā kāḏro ḏojak sajā▫e. ||2||
Like a goblin, or a beast, they kill and eat the forbidden carcasses of meat.So control your urges, or else you will be seized by the Lord, and thrown into the tortures of hell. ||2||
ਗੈਬਾਨ = ਗ਼ੈਬਾਨ, ਨਾਹ ਦਿੱਸਣ ਵਾਲੇ, ਭੂਤ ਪ੍ਰੇਤ। ਹੈਵਾਨ = ਪਸ਼ੂ। ਕੁਸਤਨੀ = ਕੁਸ਼ਤਨੀ, ਮਾਰਨ ਵਾਲੀ। ਬਖੋਰਾਇ = ਬਖ਼ੋਰਾਇ, ਖਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ। ਕਬਜ ਕਬਜਾ = ਕਬਜ਼ ਕਬਜ਼ਾ, ਮੁਕੰਮਲ ਕਬਜ਼ਾ। ਕਾਦਰੋ = ਪੈਦਾ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ। ਦੋਜਕ ਸਜਾਇ = (ਦੋਜ਼ਕ ਸਜ਼ਾਇ) ਦੋਜ਼ਕ ਦੀ ਸਜ਼ਾ ਦੇਂਦਾ ਹੈ।੨।

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਗ਼ਾਫ਼ਲ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਭੂਤਾਂ ਪ੍ਰੇਤਾਂ ਪਸ਼ੂਆਂ ਵਾਂਗ ਹਰਾਮ ਮਾਰ ਕੇ ਹਰਾਮ ਖਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਇਸ ਦੇ ਦਿਲ ਉਤੇ (ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ) ਮੁਕੰਮਲ ਕਬਜ਼ਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਇਸ ਨੂੰ ਦੋਜ਼ਕ ਦੀ ਸਜ਼ਾ ਦੇਂਦਾ ਹੈ।੨।

ਵਲੀ ਨਿਆਮਤਿ ਬਿਰਾਦਰਾ ਦਰਬਾਰ ਮਿਲਕ ਖਾਨਾਇ ਜਬ ਅਜਰਾਈਲੁ ਬਸਤਨੀ ਤਬ ਚਿ ਕਾਰੇ ਬਿਦਾਇ ॥੩॥
वली निआमति बिरादरा दरबार मिलक खानाइ ॥ जब अजराईलु बसतनी तब चि कारे बिदाइ ॥३॥
valī ni▫āmaṯ birāḏarā ḏarbār milak kẖānā▫e.Jab ajrā▫īl basṯanī ṯab cẖe kāre biḏā▫e. ||3||
Your benefactors, presents, companions, courts, lands and homes -when Azraa-eel, the Messenger of Death seizes you, what good will these be to you then? ||3||
ਵਲੀ ਨਿਆਮਤਿ = ਨਿਆਮਤਾਂ ਦੇਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਪਿਤਾ। ਬਿਰਾਦਰਾ = ਭਰਾ। ਮਿਲਕ ਜਾਇਦਾਦ। ਖਾਨਾਇ = ਖ਼ਾਨਾਇ, ਘਰ। ਬਸਤਨੀ = ਬੰਨ੍ਹ ਲਏਗਾ। ਚਿ ਕਾਰੇ = ਕਿਸ ਕੰਮ? ਚਿ = ਕੀਹ? ਬਿਦਾਇ = ਵਿਦਾ ਹੋਣ ਵੇਲੇ। ਅਜਰਾਈਲੁ = ਅਜ਼ਰਾਈਲ, ਮੌਤ ਦਾ ਫ਼ਰਿਸ਼ਤਾ।੩।

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਜਦੋਂ ਮੌਤ ਦਾ ਫ਼ਰਿਸ਼ਤਾ (ਆ ਕੇ) ਬੰਨ੍ਹ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਤਦੋਂ ਪਾਲਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਪਿਉ, ਭਰਾ, ਦਰਬਾਰ, ਜਾਇਦਾਦ, ਘਰ-ਇਹ ਸਾਰੇ (ਜਗਤ ਤੋਂ) ਵਿਦਾ ਹੋਣ ਵੇਲੇ ਕਿਸ ਕੰਮ ਆਉਣਗੇ?।੩।

ਹਵਾਲ ਮਾਲੂਮੁ ਕਰਦੰ ਪਾਕ ਅਲਾਹ ਬੁਗੋ ਨਾਨਕ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਪੇਸਿ ਦਰਵੇਸ ਬੰਦਾਹ ॥੪॥੧॥
हवाल मालूमु करदं पाक अलाह ॥ बुगो नानक अरदासि पेसि दरवेस बंदाह ॥४॥१॥
Havāl mālūm karḏaʼn pāk alāh.Bugo Nānak arḏās pes ḏarves banḏāh. ||4||1||
The Pure Lord God knows your condition.O Nanak, recite your prayer to the holy people. ||4||1||
ਪਾਕ ਅਲਾਹ = ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ। ਅਲਾਹ = ਅੱਲਾਹ। ਹਵਾਲ ਮਾਲੂਮ ਕਰਦੰ = (ਤੇਰੇ ਦਿਲ ਦਾ) ਹਾਲ ਜਾਣਦਾ ਹੈ। ਬੁਗੋ = ਆਖ। ਪੇਸਿ = ਸਾਹਮਣੇ, ਪੇਸ਼ਿ। ਪੇਸਿ ਦਰਵੇਸ ਬੰਦਾਹ = ਦਰਵੇਸ਼ ਬੰਦਿਆਂ ਦੇ ਅੱਗੇ।੪।

ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ (ਤੇਰੇ ਦਿਲ ਦਾ) ਸਾਰਾ ਹਾਲ ਜਾਣਦਾ ਹੈ। ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਸੰਤ ਜਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚ ਰਹਿ ਕੇ (ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੇ) ਅਰਦਾਸ ਕਰਿਆ ਕਰ (ਕਿ ਤੈਨੂੰ ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀ ਹਵਸ ਵਿਚ ਨਾਹ ਫਸਣ ਦੇਵੇ)।੪।੧।

I hope this shows the value of quoting full shabads as otherwise people could and would be misled to mis-quote lines as you have done. Sorry for my directness.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
We cannot even destroy anything. It the laws of physics, nothing gets destroyed. Things only convert to a different composition of molecules. The word ghatant to mean refers to change, not complete destruction. We cannot make anything completely be outside of God's huqam. Everything converts to a differing state of existence in the patalan patal, lakh agasan agas.

ਘਟੰਤ ਰੂਪੰ ਘਟੰਤ ਦੀਪੰ ਘਟੰਤ ਰਵਿ ਸਸੀਅਰ ਨਖ੍ਯ੍ਯਤ੍ਰ ਗਗਨੰ ਘਟੰਤ ਬਸੁਧਾ ਗਿਰਿ ਤਰ ਸਿਖੰਡੰ ਘਟੰਤ ਲਲਨਾ ਸੁਤ ਭ੍ਰਾਤ ਹੀਤੰ ਘਟੰਤ ਕਨਿਕ ਮਾਨਿਕ ਮਾਇਆ ਸ੍ਵਰੂਪੰ ਨਹ ਘਟੰਤ ਕੇਵਲ ਗੋਪਾਲ ਅਚੁਤ ਅਸਥਿਰੰ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਧ ਜਨ ॥੯॥
घटंत रूपं घटंत दीपं घटंत रवि ससीअर नख्यत्र गगनं ॥ घटंत बसुधा गिरि तर सिखंडं ॥ घटंत ललना सुत भ्रात हीतं ॥ घटंत कनिक मानिक माइआ स्वरूपं ॥ नह घटंत केवल गोपाल अचुत ॥ असथिरं नानक साध जन ॥९॥
Gẖatanṯ rūpaʼn gẖatanṯ dīpaʼn gẖatanṯ rav sasī▫ar nakẖ▫yaṯar gaganaʼn. Gẖatanṯ basuḏẖā gir ṯar sikẖaʼndaʼn. Gẖatanṯ lalnā suṯ bẖarāṯ hīṯaʼn. Gẖatanṯ kanik mānik mā▫i▫ā savrūpaʼn. Nah gẖatanṯ keval gopāl acẖuṯ. Asthiraʼn Nānak sāḏẖ jan. ||9||
Beauty fades away, islands fade away, the sun, moon, stars and sky fade away. The earth, mountains, forests and lands fade away. One's spouse, children, siblings and loved friends fade away. Gold and jewels and the incomparable beauty of Maya fade away. Only the Eternal, Unchanging Lord does not fade away. O Nanak, only the humble Saints are steady and stable forever. ||9||
ਘਟੰਤ = ਘਟਦੇ ਹਨ, ਨਾਸ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ। ਦੀਪੰ = ਜਜ਼ੀਰੇ (द्वीप)। ਰਵਿ = ਸੂਰਜ (रवि)। ਸਸੀਅਰ = ਚੰਦ੍ਰਮਾ (शशधर = moon)। ਨਖ੍ਯ੍ਯਤ੍ਰ = ਤਾਰੇ (नर्क्षात्रं)। ਗਗਨੰ = ਆਕਾਸ਼। ਬਸੁਧਾ = ਧਰਤੀ (वसुधा)। ਗਿਰਿ = ਪਹਾੜ (गिरि)। ਤਰ = ਰੁੱਖ (तरु)। ਸਿਖੰਡੰ = ਉੱਚੀ ਚੋਟੀ ਵਾਲੇ। ਲਲਨਾ = ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ (ललना)। ਕਨਿਕ = ਸੋਨਾ। ਮਾਨਿਕ = ਮੋਤੀ।੯।

ਰੂਪ ਨਾਸਵੰਤ ਹੈ, (ਸੱਤੇ) ਦੀਪ ਨਾਸਵੰਤ ਹਨ, ਸੂਰਜ ਚੰਦ੍ਰਮਾ ਤਾਰੇ ਆਕਾਸ਼ ਨਾਸਵੰਤ ਹਨ, ਧਰਤੀ ਉਚੇ ਉਚੇ ਪਹਾੜ ਤੇ ਰੁੱਖ ਨਾਸਵੰਤ ਹਨ, ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਪੁਤ੍ਰ, ਭਰਾ ਤੇ ਸਨਬੰਧੀ ਨਾਸਵੰਤ ਹਨ, ਸੋਨਾ ਮੋਤੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਸਰੂਪ ਨਾਸਵੰਤ ਹਨ। ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਕੇਵਲ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਗੋਪਾਲ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨਾਸਵੰਤ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ, ਅਤੇ ਉਸ ਦੀ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਭੀ ਸਦਾ-ਥਿਰ ਹੈ।੯। ❁ ਭਾਵ: ਇਹ ਸਾਰਾ ਦਿੱਸਦਾ ਜਗਤ ਨਾਸਵੰਤ ਹੈ। ਸਿਰਫ਼ ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਹੈ। ਉਸ ਦਾ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲੇ ਬੰਦਿਆਂ ਦਾ ਜੀਵਨ ਅਟੱਲ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ।
ESSENCE:
Guruji states that everything is transformational even the star, the sun, the moon, mountains, trees, family, relatives and the materials like gems and pearls.
Only the creator is constant and the understanding of such is ever lasting.
Harsimirat Kaur ji the above as I quoted is perhaps even more helpful to understand with Prof. Sahib Singh ji's Teeka embedded.

This is a great shabad and your statements for this shabad are valid.

However I don't understand how it relates to eating meat. Unless you are implying that there is no difference between vegetables, meats and alcohol so we can have any or all of these. I added alcohol to just verify the rigor of your statement in terms of eating meat.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited by a moderator:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Confused ji,
I find your comments confusing in this case and I do see a strong Buddhist way of thinking. Every form of life is naturally geared for survival-thats why all biological processes have evolved the way they have. A spinach plant or potato plant wants to survive as much as a cow or dog or human. Just because humans do not have the capacity to perceive this with their own senses does not make it untrue and I think it is a very egotistical attitude to take – similar to the attitude of Romans who thought the Earth was the centre of the universe. Killing is killing whether it is a plant or animal, and is unavoidable in life. I don't see the difference in killing a plant and an animal as I am not bigheaded enough to limit my understanding of the world to my own senses and this is how Gurbani sees things too (as detailed earlier in the thread). Animal products (often byproduct from meat industry but not always) appear in the most unlikeliest places including our clothes, shoes, soaps, shampoos, cleaning products, hardback books, sports gear, cars, firefighting equipment, medical equipment and a thousand other things (including alcoholic drinks!). Sometimes these products are safer for the environment and for people than the synthetic alternatives. Indirectly the synthetic alternatives kill more life. So if you promote not killing on moral grounds then you should not be using any of these products either. Your stance on not killing yourself but not having problems with meat if it has already been killed confuses me as it seems a selfish way to behave showing concern for your own actions only (and hence attachment to self). If you were not consuming there would be no need for the killing to occur in the 1<sup>st</sup> place to it is an indirect way of supporting the action. Forgive my directness but your posts make no sense to me or maybe I've misunderstood.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: