• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Do You Believe In Love?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Hmmm I can't view the video as work blocks out youtube, but I am going to say that since love can not be proven, therefore we must be pragmatic and say that love does not exist. ;) Or at least how can we ever KNOW it exists, so we shouldn't care right? For that matter... caring itself how can you ever prove someone cares, or that caring is real? It could be just chemicals swishing around in your brain, so even saying you care or don't care to know about the secrets of the universe (or love), your caring or not caring is itself not provable therefore being pragmatic we must dismiss our ability to care or not care to come down to the state of chemicals in our brain and are not 'real feelings' or even free will right?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
i do...

right or wrong, i don't think true love is expressed that often...it often appears with conditions...

for example...if i love my partner...but she cheats on me...and wants to leave
i love her and as a result want her to be happy....

true love then would be...

i want her to be happy...whether its with me or someone else...and you let that person move on with only good wishes in mind...

from a personal perspective...that would be true love...unconditional..

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Oh no Harry Ji, wasn't trying to make you feel worse (if something happened). You know I do in fact believe in Love... I was trying to be funny. I couldn't view the video so I didn't know it was from something that happened personally. Appologize. And hope you feel better.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
but I am going to say that since love can not be proven, therefore we must be pragmatic and say that love does not exist.
oh love exists, the question is what exactly is it, madness?chemicals? a need for validation? or just someone to cuddle at night ( I am currently using a pillow with a face drawn on it),

Yes, the concept of love is very relevant to me at the moment, I have to confess to viewing it as some sort of emotional bondage at present

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
i do...

right or wrong, i don't think true love is expressed that often...it often appears with conditions...

for example...if i love my partner...but she cheats on me...and wants to leave
i love her and as a result want her to be happy....

true love then would be...

i want her to be happy...whether its with me or someone else...and you let that person move on with only good wishes in mind...

from a personal perspective...that would be true love...unconditional..

I believe there is a communal love, a shared love that is higher than what you describe above

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Oh I left the wife, or she left me, or someone left someone, so in one fell swoop I lost three dogs, a stepson, a wife, a nice house, and a warm bed. It was my choice, so a debate on love would be interesting

:(

So sorry to hear... don't know what else to say except stay strong. There are always sunny days after a storm.

My point was that none of us can explain our subjective experience of love to others... however I like to think that love is not the emotion but rather an action. You feel happiness and joy, but you GIVE (do/action) love. Quick way to look at this... you can't say I happy someone. I joy someone. I ____ someone is an action. I love someone. Means I show them in every way possible what they mean to me. I feel happy because I love them. Lots of people think of it as an emotion, I think of it as an action.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
So sorry to hear... don't know what else to say except stay strong. There are always sunny days after a storm.
many thanks for your kind words, I hope they are your last, why ruin a beautiful relationship!

No, I am just working out options, have a sex change, maybe turn gay, become celibate, run away and join the circus, the world is my lobster!

However it seems to me that true love, the true true love that we all want and wish is only capable with the self and ultimately with God. All other love affairs are pointless and self gratifying.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
There
However it seems to me that true love, the true true love that we all want and wish is only capable with the self
..yeah, and the self is God ! Besides, you aren't the only one saying that ! Look what Guru Ravidas said, "sachi preet hum tum sayion jori, tum sayion jori avar sang tori" [O God, you are my true love and since attaching with you, I've detached from the world]

ਜਉ ਤੁਮ ਗਿਰਿਵਰ ਤਉ ਹਮ ਮੋਰਾ ॥ ਜਉ ਤੁਮ ਚੰਦ ਤਉ ਹਮ ਭਏ ਹੈ ਚਕੋਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਮਾਧਵੇ ਤੁਮ ਨ ਤੋਰਹੁ ਤਉ ਹਮ ਨਹੀ ਤੋਰਹਿ ॥ ਤੁਮ ਸਿਉ ਤੋਰਿ ਕਵਨ ਸਿਉ ਜੋਰਹਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਜਉ ਤੁਮ ਦੀਵਰਾ ਤਉ ਹਮ ਬਾਤੀ ॥ ਜਉ ਤੁਮ ਤੀਰਥ ਤਉ ਹਮ ਜਾਤੀ ॥੨॥ ਸਾਚੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਹਮ ਤੁਮ ਸਿਉ ਜੋਰੀ ॥ ਤੁਮ ਸਿਉ ਜੋਰਿ ਅਵਰ ਸੰਗਿ ਤੋਰੀ ॥੩॥ ਜਹ ਜਹ ਜਾਉ ਤਹਾ ਤੇਰੀ ਸੇਵਾ ॥ ਤੁਮ ਸੋ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਅਉਰੁ ਨ ਦੇਵਾ ॥੪॥ ਤੁਮਰੇ ਭਜਨ ਕਟਹਿ ਜਮ ਫਾਂਸਾ ॥ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੇਤ ਗਾਵੈ ਰਵਿਦਾਸਾ ॥੫॥੫॥ [p658-659 SGGSJ].

Look at Moses, Muhammed, Buddha, Nanak and all the lonely hearts, singled out coz the Almighty wanted to have 121. Watch out H....I hate to loose you to Chz n the gang ! There will be no one to argue with !

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
.yeah, and the self is God ! Besides, you aren't the only one saying that ! Look what Guru Ravidas said, "sachi preet hum tum sayion jori, tum sayion jori avar sang tori" [O God, you are my true love and since attaching with you, I've detached from the world]

And now we have the interesting bit, to live as householders, to live complete lives, we are unable to detach from the world, so is detach the correct translation?

Look at Moses, Muhammed, Buddha, Nanak and all the lonely hearts, singled out coz the Almighty wanted to have 121
no, they must have been married to my ex at some point,

I hate to loose you to Chz n the gang ! There will be no one to argue with !
You may lose me, but not to the red hand gang......

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
And now we have the interesting bit, to live as householders, to live complete lives, we are unable to detach from the world, so is detach the correct translation?
...well observed ! Ravidas uses the word "sang", literal meaning, to associate or association. In answer to your question, Ravidas is expressing an emotional splendour of having found "true love", an inner realisation, which as a result, disassociated him from the outer world.

The context in which he wrote was spiritual and not social, but all in all, good picking ! Thx

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Watched Coldplay live the other weekend in manchester...they were super cool...some of their songs would be good on this blog...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: