• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Do You Believe In Love?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Watched Coldplay live the other weekend in manchester...they were super cool...some of their songs would be good on this blog...

I shouldn't be surprised, well normally I would rather stick pins in my eyes, however, they do have one song that I seem to have been playing for years on end,

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I shouldn't be surprised, well normally I would rather stick pins in my eyes, however, they do have one song that I seem to have been playing for years on end,

a classic....

i also listen to a lot of Drum n Bass....not really love based :) but the beats usually get my up and moving :)

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Dear Harry ji

The answer to your question is obviously yes; but the definition of ‘love’ may vary from person to person. We, also, often qualify the term with a prefix e.g., true, false, matlabi (self-interest), anokha (strange, extraordinary), durlabh (not easily attainable) etc.

In respect of age you are between the age of my two sons both educated and brought up in the UK, therefore, there is an element of unexplained affinity and understanding here.

On a lighter note, I recorded an album of romantic songs (in Delhi) in the 1990s. But I never released it as my interest in and affiliation with Gurbani got stronger and stronger. I only record Gurbani now – you may listen to some of my musical compositions on my site – just google my full name as signed under.

Here are the opening lines (asthaa-ee) of one of the songs which I think you will appreciate, perhaps, appropriate to your present thoughts and indisposition.

rol ke tur gayin a kyon sajni eh samjha jaavin

O beloved, why have you abandoned me in this pitiful and painfulcondition? Please explain!

gamaa they bus sanoo keeta ee kyon eh samjha jaavin

Why have you submitted me to this world of misery and depression? Please come and explain!

A translation can never express the same or original emotions, (ecstasy of the separated one) of a poet.

True love between man and wife is equated in Gurbani to that of between human and Akal Purkh (Waheguru, Ik Onkar, Universal Consciousness, God – take your pick). The Shabd (by Ravidas Ji) posted by Original ji is very relevant in this context.

Goodwill to all.
Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
i do...

right or wrong, i don't think true love is expressed that often...it often appears with conditions...

for example...if i love my partner...but she cheats on me...and wants to leave
i love her and as a result want her to be happy....

true love then would be...

i want her to be happy...whether its with me or someone else...and you let that person move on with only good wishes in mind...

from a personal perspective...that would be true love...unconditional..

In the game of Life, Karam and acceptance of karam= True Unconditional Love. God is fearless in serving us our karams whether good or bad, He himself has experienced every scenario that has been experienced. After many ages He discovered himself to be Truth.

If your wife cheated on you, she should expect the slap of karma somewhere down the line. If she isn't served karam, how else will she learn? You should accept that both yours and her karam will be served as deserved.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
In the game of Life, Karam and acceptance of karam= True Unconditional Love.

I disagree, I do not accept karam, does that mean I will never know true unconditional love?

God is fearless in serving us our karams whether good or bad, He himself has experienced every scenario that has been experienced. After many ages He discovered himself to be Truth.

My understanding is that god was always true, from the beginning, rather than a period of deity self discovery.

f your wife cheated on you, she should expect the slap of karma somewhere down the line.
why?

If she isn't served karam, how else will she learn?
using her brain?

You should accept that both yours and her karam will be served as deserved.
I accept no such thing, to accept such a thing brings a wider debate on the disabled, the raped, the dying, the dead, the abused, in my view Sikhism has no place for such carrot/stick concepts.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
I disagree, I do not accept karam, does that mean I will never know true unconditional love?

My understanding is that god was always true, from the beginning, rather than a period of deity self discovery.

why?

using her brain?

I accept no such thing, to accept such a thing brings a wider debate on the disabled, the raped, the dying, the dead, the abused, in my view Sikhism has no place for such carrot/stick concepts.

Yep God was always True, we all are, we just need to get to the consciousness of realising who we already are.

Truth never changes, it's not just a word, it means what it is- it is All that is, without any illusions- and God was the First Truth Knower.

I understand that some find it difficult to accept karam, but if you can't be at peace with Gods will, then how can you be all loving- you're not accepting Him in every action.

We reap what we sow, thats the law of karma.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Sir

Re: Calling

I'm of the opinion that you've been singled out for a reason. The Modern Sikh needs leadership and direction. You are the chosen 1. If you don't believe me, have a look at the similarities between you and the rest of god's gang.
  1. Moses - Ex 3:4, God said, "Moses, Moses - here I am". He led...Exodus
  2. Samuel - Sam 3:6, God called out, "Samuel". Ministry Worker...
  3. Paul - Acts 9:4, "And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, ‘Saul, Saul, why persecute thou me?’...Persecutor turned Ministry Worker - Christianity
  4. Harry Singh - [slot reserved, watch this space]....hmm !
Like you, they were all singled out for the maker to mould into shape the vessel to carry His message.

Your soul is upon the lathe of the Divine Being grounded and polished until it reflects the glory of its creator [Waheguru].

You can run but you can't hide !

And, that handsome Harry, is "true love". All else is PLAY [leela].

See all of life's experiences as stepping stones to bring you to this pitch of perfection where you can "converse" with God on a 121.

Love you - Guru Ji

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Yep God was always True, we all are,
but you said earlier that god after many ages discovered truth, now your saying something else, how can I put any weight on your definitive comments if you duck and dive so? Perhaps you should make it clear these are your opinions and thoughts that are open to debate rather than definitive statements that can be changed at your whim.

Truth never changes, it's not just a word, it means what it is- it is All that is, without any illusions- and God was the First Truth Knower.

In my view God was the truth creator, for him to know it, it must have been there before God, and nothing was before God

I understand that some find it difficult to accept karam, but if you can't be at peace with Gods will, then how can you be all loving- you're not accepting Him in every action.

no, your not accepting your thoughts and theories in every action, to some being at peace will God's will may mean something other than accepting a punishment reward cycle. As for being all loving, can you please describe for me what such a state is, what it involves, and how such a person should view love?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Re: Calling

if is a calling, its not very loud...

I'm of the opinion that you've been singled out for a reason.
yes, its normally something I have done wrong, thankfully, I don't believe in karma

If you don't believe me, have a look at the similarities between you and the rest of god's gang.

But we are all God's gang, are we not Originalji?

• Moses - Ex 3:4, God said, "Moses, Moses - here I am". He led...Exodus
  • Samuel - Sam 3:6, God called out, "Samuel". Ministry Worker...
  • Paul - Acts 9:4, "And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, ‘Saul, Saul, why persecute thou me?’...Persecutor turned Ministry Worker - Christianity
  • Harry Singh - [slot reserved, watch this space]....hmm !

I just do my own thing ji, I am deep undercover, we get different rules and rewards. The rules are that there aren't any, and the rewards follow the same path, ie, there aren't any.

Like you, they were all singled out for the maker to mould into shape the vessel to carry His message.

but not you? or you as well? do we get a tufty club badge or something?

Your soul is upon the lathe of the Divine Being grounded and polished until it reflects the glory of its creator [Waheguru].

well that explains the chest pains, all that grinding and polishing can be quite painful sometimes, I will reflect the glory of Waheguru when I am dead, this lathe is killing me.

You can run but you can't hide !

I can't run period, I'm fat.

And, that handsome Harry, is "true love". All else is PLAY [leela].

The more I ponder love, the more I see it as a need, something for the self, something you can do without, it makes a mockery of the thinking behind 'I can't live without you', what a dreadful state, to be so consumed with another, in books we call such people romantics, in real life they remain the insane.

See all of life's experiences as stepping stones to bring you to this pitch of perfection where you can "converse" with God on a 121.

all except that thing that happened in Amsterdam, I thought she was french, and I thought she said tre sexual....

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
God was the First Truth Knower.
..God is truth [sat], hence the reason Nanak called Him "satnam".
I understand that some find it difficult to accept karam
..try glossing it up, for example, 'what goes around comes around'. Isn't that a another way of explaining karam ? The truly wise will know what is right, do what is good and be forever, kool n deadly.
We reap what we sow, thats the law of karma.
..yes, from a theoretical perspective within most ideologies. Sikhism provides a window for comfort to see the positive side of even the worst tragedies if one was to adopt a holistic approach.

Goodnight n Godbless

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Some say love is blind.
I disagree.
If love were blind.
She would not notice my goose bumps.
If love were blind.
I would not see the sparkle in her eyes.
If love were blind.
She would not know my frailties.
True love stands.
On the stilts of life.
To cope with our inner hurricanes.
Which makes Love divine.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Ahhhh...but

if there is only Waheguru...as you say in many posts...and as Gurbani Describes...

then in reality....does fear really exist?

nirbau...?

:)

Yes.... it does. But it's actually part of Maya / illusion...

Fear = product of separation from Waheguru, created by our Ego - it's a part of illusion. In reality there is nothing to fear because we never cease to exist and we are all ONE. (The ONE has nothing to fear because it's ONE... there is no other... hence nobody to fear)
But in our separation, through duality everything becomes "Me" and "Mine" and when you focus on "Me" and "Mine" then you fear losing those things which you consider to be "Mine" and fear loss of or harm to "Me". But all through this we have forgotten that the "Me" was never real to begin with. It's a temporary part we are playing. Impermanent, and unreal. Reality is actually the ONE.

Love = product of Waheguru - I'd maybe even go so far as to say Waheguru IS love. There is only Love.

So maybe it would be more appropriate to say there is only Love and.... separation from Love?

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: