Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Learn Punjabi Blog about learning Panjabi

Discussion in 'Language, Arts & Culture' started by namritanevaeh, Sep 13, 2013.

1. namritanevaeh

namritanevaeh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

I thought some might be interested in reading this blog:

http://sohnikaur.tumblr.com/ It has to do with learning Panjabi, some challenges, some excitement, some epiphanies...etc.

:)
    :tablakudi:

• Like Like x 7
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Last Blog Blogs Oct 14, 2016
    Sikh News Pakistan's Sikh Legacy: Beyond Religion, Beyond Borders - Times Of India (blog) Breaking News Aug 7, 2016
    Spiritual Daily Amrit Vela Blog - Difficulties, Joys, Methods Of This Practical Journey To Self Discovery Blogs Oct 21, 2015
    30 Day Amrit Vela - Introducing a New Member Blog Sikh Sikhi Sikhism May 20, 2013
    Leisure Guest Blog: Leonard Nimoy On The Vulcan Salute Business, Lifestyle & Leisure Sep 21, 2012

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

It is wonderful. And just what a blog should be... an exploration. Here is an article. It attracted my attention right away.
    namritanevaeh ji

When you find these remarkable sites, do let us know. But also give us more insight into your impressions too. We want to share your thinking and understand your point of view.

:winkingkaur:

• Like Like x 6
  4. namritanevaeh

namritanevaeh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Shukriya, I appreciate that you liked it. It's actually my blog. :)

• Like Like x 6
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Then congratulations because I could get lost in it ... so interesting...all things that fascinate me.

Please share some of your thoughts here too from time to time...anything you are really enthusiastic about. I like the articles on numbers too and the graphic was really beautifuol

• Like Like x 6
  6. namritanevaeh

namritanevaeh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Dhanvadd!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Babandeep Singh

Babandeep Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Hello Namritaneveah Ji,

Happy to know that you are learning Punjabi and your experiences are quite interesting. I read in your blog how you have certain problems regarding minute pronunciation differences between certain words. I would suggest you check out this site where I contribute in the pronunciation of various Punjabi words....
    http://www.forvo.com/ or its Punjabi version,
    http://pa.forvo.com/

Hope you would like it and you can also add other words for learning their pronunciations.

Thanks

• Like Like x 6
  8. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Thank you both!! Good work! :cheerleaders:

• Like Like x 3
  9. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

@namritanevaeh Ji,
    The blog is actually very good. Learning Punjabi can be quite a challenge, especially its nasal and tonal components, and secondly the articulations of the words. But a flying eye view of your blog shows you are actually enjoying this task.
    Best of luck with you learning, and if any help is needed, feel free to drop me a PM, I'll be too happy to help.
    :peacesign:

• Like Like x 5
  10. namritanevaeh

namritanevaeh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

You know I have several good friends I call upon @ times to ask Q's. if u want to be added drop me a line and ill give u my private email. :) I appreciate the offer.

• Like Like x 2
  11. namritanevaeh

namritanevaeh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

I don't know if one of you is cuckoobird ;-) who posted a couple of comments. They're always welcome for sure.

For "charassee", I copied that word directly out of a "teach yourself Gurmukhi" primer. I can only blame it if I wrote it wrong. ;-) LOL

For the large title photo that has Gurmukhi script writing out "my homework..." etc., I didn't create that, but I did find it online and found it quite humourous so I used it...

As for meharbani, thanks for correcting that...I was taking a wild guess. I figure I am probably reading at about a grade 2 level, and quite likely writing at a similar level. I can recognise some words just at a glance now, the more commonly used ones. guru, nanak, sahib, ji, Canada (since I see that in articles in the newspaper frequently here!), Waheguru, blah blah...there are lots I don't "read" anymore...but also many that I still have to sound out letter by letter to get what they say. And much like an English speaking child could write out "I wont to reed a bouk" instead of "I want to read a book" I could probably write out quite a bit in bad grammar still. ;-) LOL

• Like Like x 3
  12. Babandeep Singh

Babandeep Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Haha I must admit that it was I who commented as cuckoobird. Disqus suggested this username to me, so I kept it.:grinningsingh:

I like your blog a lot especially the part when someone tries to learn Punjabi as a second or third language. Do write more about it since I'm following you now.

And yeah I hope you don't mind me pointing out certain errors. Sometimes I tend to be a Punjabi spelling Nazi (yeah you got it right :noticemunda:) ...Well you can say that's partly because of the frustration I used to have as a child when two different books of Punjabi had two (or more) different spelling styles for the same word. So now that I know most of the spelling rules I tend to point out the mistakes...(can't help it)

And please be aware of these minute things as some Punjabi books have quite spurious learning material as you said is the case with 84 (chaurasi)... You can drop me a PM if you have any queries, or any other things to share about ma langue bien-aimée, Punjabi. :happysingh: I'd be more than happy to help.

:peacesign:

• Like Like x 5
  13. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Babandeep ji You are showing some hands-down friendship when you offer your time. Be careful ... I am reading this and saying, "Hmmmmmmm. How can we get Babandeep ji to extend the reach of his services right here, with ideas for Learn Punjabi." Think about it! What could it be?
    :interestedmunda:
    :whatzpointkudi:
    :grinningkudi:

• Like Like x 5
  14. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Do some of those different spellings come about because of different Punjabi dialects?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Babandeep Singh

Babandeep Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Spnadmin Ji I am always ready to do my bit in the promotion of Punjabiyat and Sikhi. In fact apart from contributing at Forvo.com, I'm also an active editor at Punjabi Wikipedia where I have written about 1000 articles in Punjabi. You can see it here

https://pa.wikipedia.org/wiki/ਮੁੱਖ_ਸਫ਼ਾ and my contribution is here
    http://toolserver.org/~tparis/pages...ia&namespace=0&redirects=noredirects&getall=1

Besides, I help with the Facebook and WhatsApp translation into Punjabi. I'm actually concerned with the under-representation of Punjabi language when it comes to Internet. So this is my way of making small contribution. I'd be very happy to help this site or any person with regard to Punjabi learning.

And yes Ishna Ji, most of the dialectal differences come out as different words altogether and not different spellings, per se. Plus as per the guidelines from Punjabi University (the Oxford of Punjabi language), the standard for written Punjabi is the Majhi dialect (spoken in areas like Amritsar, Lahore) so the question of spelling anomalies doesn't arise. Hope that helps!

• Like Like x 6
  16. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Nice to learn about that. In fact, a couple of years back I was one of the major contributors to Punjabi and English Wikipedia, also SikhiWiki. But since, I didn't have enough time to continue with that, I decided to call it quits. That you are working so hard for the cause of beloved Punjabi is very appreciable.
    Gurprasad, blessings of Guru be with you....

• Like Like x 4
  17. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Ok Babandeep ji

Then I will brainstorm with the moderators to figure this out. Meanwhile please look at the forums under Punjab, Punjabi, Punjabayat and tell me what we need there to liven things up and make things more complete.

What a windfall/brainfall we have got!

• Like Like x 3
  18. namritanevaeh

namritanevaeh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Shukriya Babandeep ji!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. namritanevaeh

namritanevaeh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

You know the only thing I actually take objection to is that Nazi
    Word really. I mean honestly I've never understood comparing one's self to a group of xenophobes that slaughtered millions over religion...yes I'm serious. How about "passionato"? ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

The following has some words translated,

http://www.ijunoon.com/punjabi/punjabi.aspx?word=sohni

An example below and you have good blog so keep it up (beautiful Dragon Fly picture ... as kids in Punjab we used to catch these and tie a light string to their tails and get them to fly .. in hindsight may be a bit nasty :kudifacepalm:,

<table width="494"><tbody><tr><td>Meaning of word sohni

</td></tr><tr></tr></tbody></table><table style="color: rgb(97, 97, 97); font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial;" height="224" width="494"><tbody><tr><td padma_font_family_property="Arial" style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" class="names" height="28">Punjabi</td><td padma_font_family_property="Arial">a. khubsurat ; sohni ; sundar ; shakalwali ;</td></tr><tr><td padma_font_family_property="Arial" style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" class="names" height="28" width="100">English</td><td padma_font_family_property="Arial">graceful</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" colspan="2" height="10">
    </td></tr><tr><td padma_font_family_property="Arial" style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" class="names" height="28">Punjabi</td><td padma_font_family_property="Arial">a. mohni ; sohni ;</td></tr><tr><td padma_font_family_property="Arial" style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" class="names" height="28" width="100">English</td><td padma_font_family_property="Arial">fascinating</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" colspan="2" height="10">
    </td></tr><tr><td padma_font_family_property="Arial" style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" class="names" height="28">Punjabi</td><td padma_font_family_property="Arial">a. far far karke bolna ; sohnian gallan karnwala ;</td></tr><tr><td padma_font_family_property="Arial" style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" class="names" height="28" width="100">English</td><td padma_font_family_property="Arial">eloquent

</td></tr></tbody></table>

• Like Like x 7
  21. Babandeep Singh

Babandeep Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Namritanevaeh Ji

I sincerely apologise if I said something offensive or hurtful...:mundahug:

Yeah I know about this part but I used it because of a lack of word betokening the negative compulsion associated with pointing out the errors.

Yep I'm fervent about the language but how about I say I am this teeny weeny mild case of Grammar Pedantry Syndrome. :geeksingh:

To be frank, I have this whole post on facebook dedicated to me where my friends razz me about how I just can't live without emending their errors (lol I know) but I'm also the one they look for when they have to find out like who's got that word right!!!

Well I was going through the comments below the news about Québec Charter of Values and I couldn't help but notice many Canadians were dismissing it on the grounds of its similarity with early Nazism (and fascism)...So I was like hmm...namrtianevaeh Ji is needed here :p

• Like Like x 2