• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Blog About Learning Panjabi

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
The following has some words translated,

http://www.ijunoon.com/punjabi/punjabi.aspx?word=sohni

An example below and you have good blog so keep it up (beautiful Dragon Fly picture ... as kids in Punjab we used to catch these and tie a light string to their tails and get them to fly .. in hindsight may be a bit nasty :kudifacepalm:,

<table width="494"><tbody><tr><td>Meaning of word sohni

</td></tr><tr></tr></tbody></table><table style="color: rgb(97, 97, 97); font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial;" height="224" width="494"><tbody><tr><td padma_font_family_property="Arial" style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" class="names" height="28">Punjabi</td><td padma_font_family_property="Arial">a. khubsurat ; sohni ; sundar ; shakalwali ;</td></tr><tr><td padma_font_family_property="Arial" style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" class="names" height="28" width="100">English</td><td padma_font_family_property="Arial">graceful</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" colspan="2" height="10">
</td></tr><tr><td padma_font_family_property="Arial" style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" class="names" height="28">Punjabi</td><td padma_font_family_property="Arial">a. mohni ; sohni ;</td></tr><tr><td padma_font_family_property="Arial" style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" class="names" height="28" width="100">English</td><td padma_font_family_property="Arial">fascinating</td></tr><tr><td style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" colspan="2" height="10">
</td></tr><tr><td padma_font_family_property="Arial" style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" class="names" height="28">Punjabi</td><td padma_font_family_property="Arial">a. far far karke bolna ; sohnian gallan karnwala ;</td></tr><tr><td padma_font_family_property="Arial" style="border-bottom:solid 1px #e6e6e6;" class="names" height="28" width="100">English</td><td padma_font_family_property="Arial">eloquent

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Dhanvadd!! I was amazed, the other day I was standing at a bus loop exchange and a dragonfly landed on me...on my stomach...and STAYED there for about 2 minutes. I was able to get up close with my iPhone and take a photo of it. I've always loved dragonflies, they are my favourite insect. I was hoping it was a sign of good luck to come; I need some of that karma... :'(

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
Namritanevaeh Ji

I sincerely apologise if I said something offensive or hurtful...:mundahug:

Yeah I know about this part but I used it because of a lack of word betokening the negative compulsion associated with pointing out the errors.

Yep I'm fervent about the language but how about I say I am this teeny weeny mild case of Grammar Pedantry Syndrome. :geeksingh:

To be frank, I have this whole post on facebook dedicated to me where my friends razz me about how I just can't live without emending their errors (lol I know) but I'm also the one they look for when they have to find out like who's got that word right!!!

Well I was going through the comments below the news about Québec Charter of Values and I couldn't help but notice many Canadians were dismissing it on the grounds of its similarity with early Nazism (and fascism)...So I was like hmm...namrtianevaeh Ji is needed here :p

BELIVE ME...I have been posting over on FB about Québec and their stupidities. It irks me to no end. More on PM...

I don't know if I would say insulted. Something no one really knows about me yet is...I don't get insulted easily ESPECIALLY on boards...I have a very thick skin (not dark...pasty white ;-) but thick LOL) due to many years on debate boards where sides are vehmently opposed on some level. I LOVE online debates (in real life...I HATE conflict and avoid it as much as possible...go figure...but I still have a thick skin, I'm just not a fighter so much as a peacekeeper).

I just find it shocking how many people flip that word around and call THEMSELVES the N word as if it's just ok to refer to that group of murderers. There are aspects of probably ALL religions, that I disagree with personally, for one reason or another. But NO ONE deserves to die just because they are a part of a given religion (or race or cultural background), even if there is something in particular that could be disagreed with.

:)

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
http://sohnikaur.tumblr.com/post/61335077780/making-jokes-in-another-language

Making jokes in another language

Jokes can be a difficult thing to get right away. However, since every language has some words that sound similar but are different, one of the easier ways of starting to make your own jokes is play-on-words, substituting one word for another, followed by a tee-hee. It helps if you can laugh at yourself a little bit. And sometimes you inadvertently make a joke and become the butt of a joke too…imagine someone ordering a “chest of chicken” in English. It’s understandable but somewhat giggle-worthy. In learning another language I once asked a teacher if he was doing his “doctorate degree or his mistress’ degree” at university…and was most confused when he chuckled and said “please don’t tell my wife that!” :) Only later when it was explained to me did I understand it…but that also meant I learned the difference in that language between a master and a mistress. I’m proud to say I made my first joke in Pañjābī the other day. Someone I know texted me something along the lines of “ਮੈਂ ਕਮਰਾ ਵੀੱਚ ਿੲਕੱਲਾ ਹਾਂ”. I am pretty sure I spelled the 2nd word from the end wrong but I’m just flying by the seat of my pants here…correct me if you please!! :) Anyhow, knowing what was ACTUALLY said, my reply was “you’re eating a banana in your room?” :) That would have been ਕੇਲਾ, not ਿੲਕੱਲਾ…but it got a chuckle in text back from the other party. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
Grr. For some reason the frovo link Babandeep shared is not working with my iPad. My computer is old & slow & might freeze but I guess I'll have to try it on that...

Last edited:

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
For anyone interested, the latest post at http://sohnikaur.tumblr.com/ as well as the 3rd to last deal with specific words I have found easier than others to learn. In them, when there is a decent reason that I can think of that they stick in my brain easily enough, I share it. Some of them will make sense perhaps only to me, but hopefully some will make sense for others learning the language.

One of my favourites is Hans/ਹੰਸ, making me think of Hans (Christian Anderson), the author of "The Ugly Duckling" which is a story about a swan. Feel free to go over and look at the rest, comment here or there on the blog... :)
:sippingcoffeemunda:

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
excellent blog, why do you not post a copy here when you update it

As I said I update it almost daily, or try to. However, maybe this post is of some interest. As I was discussing earlier with a friend we are about to open (or maybe did? I'm unclear as to the official opening date?) our brand new Emergency Department at Surrey Memorial Hospital here in BC, Canada, and it is to be called Guru Nanak Emergency Services (that might actually be for tomorrow's post LOL). Tonight that is what I was reading about...with some help. :)

http://sohnikaur.tumblr.com/post/62699618138/guru-nanak-dev-ji

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I was pleased to see I basically only made an error in making it kamra not kamrey? I don't know why but this word didn't end up looking nice ਿੲਕੱਲਾ it shows on my screen as having a kind of circle in between the eeri and the umm...is it siharee? I'm less familiar with the names of the vowel letters still. *blush* ;-)

that CIRCLE IN BETWEEN ALPHABETS IS A UNIQUE QUIRK OF THE Unicode system....IT DENOTES A space..I CNAT FIGURE OUT WHY ??
This causes a glitch in font conversion too..Maybe someone expert in FONTS and Font mapping can figure out ..
This is a constant pain in the...(blush)...for me..

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Obviously I am not an expert on fonts and font-mapping, but I have noticed this only shows up on certain documents created in Word, and then not 100 percent of the time. It may be a Windows problem and not a Unicode problem. It never happens on a Macintosh, which makes me think that the Windows keyboard translation is causing this.

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
that CIRCLE IN BETWEEN ALPHABETS IS A UNIQUE QUIRK OF THE Unicode system....IT DENOTES A space..I CNAT FIGURE OUT WHY ??
This causes a glitch in font conversion too..Maybe someone expert in FONTS and Font mapping can figure out ..
This is a constant pain in the...(blush)...for me..

I find it doesn't always appear. It seems to come and go at will. I will look at my e-mails on my phone with some Gurmukhi characters in them and all is well, but if I look on my computer, it has some circles in it. Some Panjabi keyboards seem to insert them wherever they please whilst others are a little easier to deal with. *sigh*

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: blog post about motivation

namritanevaeh ji

I have merged today's blog post with this thread. Details for the decision to come by private message. Thank you however for your kind contribution today. :)

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
Re: blog post about motivation

I made a new blog post that might be of interest to some.

http://sohnikaur.tumblr.com/post/68343812190/the-lesson

I sure hope I got it all right now. :)

ਬਣਨਾ, ਬਣਾਉਣਾ, ਅਤੇ ਬਣਵਾਉਣਾ : The ਕੇਲਾ Lesson

One night I was having a stimulating conversation about Punjabi verbs and learned that they have a fascinating trait that I have never seen to this extent in any other language I’ve learned (mostly English, some romance languages, and a bit of German). Or at least, some of the verbs do. This lesson was SO mind-blowing that it stuck immediately and I refer to it as the banana lesson because the verb that was used to demonstrate it to me looks to me a bit like the English word banana. I know it’s not pronounced exactly like that, but it’s close enough that that stuck, and so this is the Banana lesson.

So what happens here? Essentially, many Punjabi verbs, as I understand it, have a kind of “root” form. In this case, it is ਬਣਨਾ. This verb is roughly translated as “to make” or “to become” depending on the context. Essentially, this is kind of a verb that will indicate the action happening to the subject of the sentence…so it is become in this case. Make it of yourself, if you will. If I want to say I will become a police officer, you would use this verb. If you want to say *he* is at school and will become a police officer (make one of himself), you would also use this verb. In this case, the subject and the object of the sentence are essentially the same.

Next scenario: ਬਣਾਉਣਾ. This verb essentially squeezes ਣਾਉ (minus the nna sound which I can’t seem to erase right now, stupid computer, so sorry for that!) in between the rest of the characters, and in this case, substitutes the nna sound, ਣ, for the other na sound, ਨ, found in the root of this type of verb. This is an actual rule you can use with many Punjabi verbs. And this type of verb, then is used to indicate making something. Essentially, you would use ਬਣਾਉਣਾ to indicate that you are making a ship, a house, or a pair of shoes most likely. In this case, the subject does something to the object of the sentence.

The last type of verb, the 3rd, is ਬਣਵਾਉਣਾ. In this case, there is a ਵ inserted again in the middle of the word. This type of verb would more demonstrate something being done by someone else. If you want to say you are having a dress made (at the dressmaker’s shop down the street) and not by your friend in the room that you are talking to, i.e. not asking said friend to please help you make the dress…you would likely use this verb. In this case, the subject has something done to the object by using the help of yet another object.

This type of rule in Punjabi verbs transfers over to many verbs, but essentially not quite all of them.

ਮਰਨਾ, ਮਾਰਨਾ, & ਮਰਵਾਉਣਾ (these three don’t seem to have the O sound in the middle of the 2nd like in the first example)…these would essentially be to die, to kill, and to have assasinated. ;-) The first would be I die or he dies, or you will all die…however you conjugate it. The 2nd would be if I kill my neighbour, or something and the 3rd would be like I get my neighbour to kill my dog. Morbid, maybe, but it was another prime example which makes sense and helps drive this lesson home.

ਸਿੱਖਣਾ , ਸਿਖਾਉਣਾ , ਸਿਖਵਾਉਣਾ : to learn, to teach, and to be taught.

ਲਿਖਣਾ, ਲਿਖਾਉਣਾ, ਲਿਖਵਾਉਣਾ : to write (to yourself/himself), to be written to, and I guess to get something written (potentially professionally)…?

ਬੋਲਣਾ, ਬੁਲਾਉਣਾ, ਬੁਲਵਾਉਣਾ : to speak, to be spoken to, to get a speach done?

ਟਾਈਪ ਕਰਨਾ, ਟਾਈਪ ਕਰਾਉਣਾ, ਟਾਈਪ ਕਰਵਾਉਣਾ : In this case, you’re essentially using a modern-day English word, “type” and then the verb “to do”, (krna) which you add afterwards to say to type (in the first case). The 2nd and third, I gather, essentially mean the same in this case: to get something typed up.

Anyhow, I’ve been thinking of this post for quite a while. I originally encountered this verb as ਸਿੱਖਣਾ vs ਸਿਖਾਉਣਾ when I asked a friend how to say “teach” like “you teach me Punjabi” and when he told me I said “isn’t that learn? Like I learn Punjabi?” and he said there was an extra added O sound to mean teach. At that point in time, I found that very confusing (this would be…probably may of this year, 2013) and said how would you remember that and tell them apart! But later, another friend explained it much much better, with all these examples and probably more, and ever since, this Banana lesson has stuck. I may not remember what a specific verb means, in some cases, but I can now identify to a certain extent how it is being acted out in the sentence…by the subject? Or not? :kaurkhalsaflagblue:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: