• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Basic Of Sikhism

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Q: Do Sikhs believe in equality of all humanity?

A: Yes, Sikhs believe that all individuals are equal.

One of the major principles of Sikhism is equality for regardless of gender, cast, creed, culture, wealth, etc. In the fifteenth century, the Hindu caste system had become strongly rooted in India. Many Hindu priests (Brahmins) believed in the caste system and perpetuated it as much as possible, by segregating individuals of certain backgrounds (perceived as lower) and looking down on them. Some people in India, who considered themselves of a high-class society wouldn’t even touch a person who they considered as being part of any lower class. If touched accidentally they would take a bath. They also would serve food to their servants and workers on the floor and would themselves eat while sitting higher on some sort of chair or table.

langar3.jpg
The Sikh Gurus preached to “recognize the Lord's Light within all, and not to consider social class or status; there are no classes or castes in the world hereafter” (Guru Granth Sahib, 349). Guru Nanak Dev Ji, the first Guru established langar, a free community kitchen. Langar is free food served in Gurdwara Sahib, which is prepared by a Sikh congregation and then consumed by them and their guests while sitting at the same level next to each other. The purpose of the langar is to eliminate any type of caste system and look to view all humans as equal. While eating langar together, there remains no difference between rich and poor, and a superior or inferior person, for all present are eating the same food at the same level. Langar is served in all Gurdwaras around the globe twenty-four hours a day.

All beings and creatures are His; He belongs to all” (Guru Granth Sahib, 425). Gurus furthermore preached to “Sing the Praise of the One, the Immaculate Lord; He is contained within all” (Guru Granth Sahib, 706). “The special feature of the Sikh of the Guru is that he goes beyond the framework of caste-classification and moves in humility. Then his labor becomes acceptable at the door of God” (Bhai Gurdas Ji, 1).

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Do Sikhs believe all humans are spiritually equal?

A: Sikhs believe that all humans are equal no matter which religion they are from but people can differ in spirituality.

Sikhs do respect spiritual people. Spirituality is attained by meditating on God. When a person meditates on God, his spiritual level rises. He begins to understand this world and realize the importance and role of God. This is of course different for every individual being. Thus it is important to realize that people can be at different points on their spiritual path. Knowing what role God has in our life is real spirituality.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Q: Do Sikhs lead a normal life, get married and have children, etc.?

A: Yes, Sikhs lead a normal life.

Sikhism instructs that you do not have to fast, abstain, go on renunciation or enter a monastery in order to meet God. All you have to do is have faith, recite the Name of God and remember Him for each possible moment. Guru Ji themselves got married and lived a family life and showed everyone that you can meet God while living a family life.

As a rule, every Sikh must follow three principles. First, he must earn his livelihood by honest means. Second, he must meditate and the third, he must share with others. It means you must work hard, earn your livelihood by an honest means and give away some of it to help others. That is a true way of a Sikh life. There is no restriction on marriage. Marriage is encouraged even for the priests. All Sikhs are encouraged to lead a family life, to have children and be a normal person in the world. Sikh family structure is very stable.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Five Sikh Symbols
bar1.gif

Sikhs have five symbols of faith natively known as Kakaars. These are Kesh (uncut hair), Kanga (comb), Kara (Bracelet), Kirpan (sword) and Kachehra (a special type of shorts). A baptised Sikh is to keep all five symbols of faith. These symbols are not merely symbols, they not only represent or identify a Sikh but also have deep meanings. Guru Gobind Singh Ji created a lifestyle within which one does not dwindles and remains focused on the path to attain salvation.

Kesh: Hair is not just a symbol, it is the gift from God. Guru Nanak started the practice of keeping the hair unshorn. The keeping of hair in its natural state is regarded as living in harmony with the will of God, and is a symbol of the Khalsa brotherhood and the Sikh faith. Hair is an integral part of the human body created by God and Sikhism call for its preservation. Sikhs live the way God made humans and never cut their hair. Guru Gobind Singh Ji instructed Sikh to wear Turban in order to protect their hair. Turban has many purposes and one is to keep a Sikh focused in his beliefs.

Kanga: The comb is necessary to keep the hair clean and tidy. A Sikh must comb his hair twice a day and tie his turban neatly. The Gurus wore turbans and commanded the Sikhs to wear turbans for the protection of the hair, and promotion of social identity and cohesion. It has thus become an essential part of the Sikh dress.

Kara: The bracelet symbolizes restrain from evil deeds. It is worn on the right wrist and reminds the Sikh of the vows taken by him, that is, he is a servant of the Guru and should not do anything which may bring shame or disgrace. When he looks at the Kara, he is made to think twice before doing anything evil with his hands.

Kirpan: The sword is the emblem of courage and self-defense. It symbolizes dignity and self-reliance, the capacity and readiness to always defend the weak and the oppressed. It helps sustain one's martial spirit and the determination to sacrifice oneself in order to defend truth, oppression and Sikh moral values.The rule is never to do injustice and never let anyone do injustice.

Kachehra: Kachehra symbolizes to live a faithful life. It reminds the Sikh of the need for self-restrain over passions, lust and desires. Apart from its moral significance, it ensures briskness during action and freedom of movement at all times. In todays dark world, filled with lust, if ever a Sikh gets carried away in the moment of lust, the Kachehra refrains one from making wrong moves and reminds him of his duties.

The Five K's are not supposed to foster exclusiveness or superiority. They are meant to keep the Sikhs united in the pursuit of the aims and ideals of the Gurus. They enable them to keep their vows made at the time of baptism. Keeping the symbols of faith keeps one close to being a Sikh and being a Sikh brings one closer to God. Whatever Gurus narrated has a purpose and meaning because it was told to them by God Himself. God has created a religion, a path, a faith which brings one closer to God and helps one to Unite with Him.

In order to meet God, one has life an honest life and meditate on God. Sikh Gurus themselves lived an honest life and showed everyone how it can be done while living a family life. If one is not a Sikh, it is harder to live truly. One Sikh writes his experience about his turban as follows:

"My turban has saved me so many times that I cannot even begin to explain. Like most, I am also filled with greed and lust. I even thought about looting or robbery in order to accumulate wealth. But everytime I think about it I think about my turban. A thought comes in my mind that how will my Guru feel if I do such a thing. I am a Sikh and a Sikh must walk on the path of humility and respect and live happily in whatever God has given me. If I have not had a turban on my head, I probably would have become a thief, a rogue, and probably a murderer. My turban saves me." [More ...]

The Sikh symbols keeps a Sikh focused. It saves a Sikh from bad company and keeps a Sikh close to God. Guru created a livestyle which helps one to be close to God and less likely to detour. Now a days, rare are Sikhs that walk in the path shown by the Guru. Rare are the ones that do not cut their hair and live an honest life like a Sikh suppose to. And to the ones there are Guru Nanak says he is willing to sacrifice himself for them.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
How is Sikhism a religion created by God?

A: The Sikh Gurus were in direct communion with God and narrated only God’s Word. Guru Nanak Dev Ji writes, “When I speak, I speak as You make me speak” (Guru Granth Sahib, 565). Furthermore, the fourth Guru, Guru Ram Das Ji writes, “O God, O Creator, Lord and Master of the devotee Nanak, as You wish, so do I speak” (Guru Granth Sahib, 800). In addition, “O Sikhs of Guru, know that the Word of the True Guru is true, absolutely true. The Creator Lord Himself causes the Guru to chant it” (Guru Granth Sahib, 308). Everything Sikh Gurus said was instructed to them by God. Guru Arjun Dev Ji (the fifth Guru) writes, “What can I say? I don't know what to say. Whatever pleases God, so do I speak” (Guru Granth Sahib, 1202). In addition, “The Word of the Guru has been emanated from God. It eradicates all anxiety” (Guru Granth Sahib, 627).

Before the coming of the Gurus, India was filled with discrimination due to a very strong belief in the caste system. Most people believed in making pilgrimages, black magic and other such superstitions. Essentially people had forgotten God. God sent the Sikh Gurus in this world in order to enlighten people and showed them the path to salvation and eternal bliss.

The tenth Guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji writes, “I did not wanted to come in this world. My mind was immersed in God. Then somehow God explained me His purpose and sent me to this world with His directive. Then God said, ‘I establish thee as my son, You are to create a religion. Go and create a religion and stop people from doing unrighteousness and evil actions.’ I stood up, with my palms joined and bowing my head to God and said, ‘I will only be able to create a religion when You help me.’ This is the reason God send me in this world and I was born in this world. I speak as God told me. I have no enmity with anyone. Those who call me God, will fall into the pit of hell. Consider me as a humble servant of God and have no doubt about it. I am a servant of the Supreme Being and have come to witness His worldly play. I have come in this world for this purpose. God sent me for the purpose of religion. Wherever you will spread this religion, evil and wicked will be eliminated. I have taken birth for this purpose. Let the holy men understand this well. I have come to spread the divine religion, protection of the devotees of God and the annihilation (elimination) of all evils.” (Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Vachitar Natak).

Hence Guru Gobind Singh Ji completed the purpose for which he and the nine Gurus before Him were sent: by creating the Sikh religion. God’s purpose of enlightening people was started by sending Guru Nanak Dev Ji in this world, carried on by sending the next eight Gurus and completed by sending Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Hence Sikhism is a religion created by God through the Sikh Gurus.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
God and Sikhism Beliefs:Revisited

God is one. He is the supreme truth. He, the Creator, is beyond fear and beyond hate. He is immortal. He is neither born and nor does He die. By Guru’s grace shall He be met. In the beginning He was the truth. Throughout the ages He has been the truth. He is the truth here and now and He shall be the truth forever’ (Guru Granth Sahib, 1). He is indescribable, inestimable, indubitable, infallible, intangible, imperishable, immutable, immortal, immaculate, immanent, unconquerable, unique, formless, fearless, compassionate, omnipresent and creator of all. He is beyond color and form, beyond birth and death, beyond portraiture and a lot more, which is beyond thinking.

Sikhism is one of the world’s simplest faiths, yet very strong discipline and the results produced by it have been very powerful. Sikhism helps one to devote his life to God and attain salvation. In 1469, a light of knowledge was send by God on earth to eliminate the darkness of ignorance. Guru Nanak Dev Ji was born in 1469. He was send to earth by God to enlighten people about the true meaning of life. With the will of God, Guru Nanak Dev founded a religion, known as Sikhism. Sikhs had ten Gurus in succession and the tenth Guru compiled all the teachings in a holy scripture called Guru Granth Sahib. That revered scripture presides over as the eleventh Guru of Sikhs. Guru Granth Sahib has 1430 pages and each and every page gives amazing information about God. The Guru is in direct communion with God and passes the word of God to his followers.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Salvation and Sikhism
In order to attain salvation one must live a honest life and meditate on God. Sikhism shows the way to attain salvation and become One with God. Sikhism instructs that you do not have to fast, abstain, go on renunciation or enter a monastery in order to meet God. All you have to do is have faith, recite the Name of God and remember Him for each possible moment. Guru Ji themselves got married and lived a family life and showed everyone that you can meet God while living a family life. Furthermore, Guru Ji said that your mind has to be detached from this world, you have to look this world as a temporary place, you will not be here forever, one day you will have to die. What you do while you are alive is critical, so make your decisions wisely. Furthermore, you do not have to detach yourself from this world physically, you can lead a normal family life and still be able to meet God.

The life to lead in order to attain salvation is clearly explained by Ninth Guru, Guru Teg Bahadur Ji in his sloks (name of a part of scripture). It is translated and summarized as follows:

Mortals are attached to this fake world and are not detached from it even for a moment. Your wealth, your spouse and everything you posses, which you think as of your own, Nanak says, the truth is that none of them shall go along with you at the time of your death. Mortal view this world as his own, but nothing here belongs to him. Mortal’s consciousness dwindles all the time because of money and among millions is one, who actually remembers God. Mortal have not enchanted the praises of Lord and have wasted all of his life. Mortals do not remember the name of Lord, and are completely drenched in money. All naïve and foolish mortals are worried about money. Nanak says, without reciting the name of Lord, this life is useless. Without reciting the name of Lord, you shall be caught in the cycle of birth and death again. For the one who does not recite the name of Lord, the use of his body is no greater than that of any animal that walks on this earth. Nanak says, everything is useless without reciting the name of Lord.

The one who goes to pilgrimages, sustain fast, make donations and by doing so take pride in his mind. His actions are like of an elephant that takes bath in the river and rolls in mud. Mortals are made of flesh and blood and consider themselves intelligent and clever. Mortals are very proud of their body; it all perishes in an instant. Nanak says, the mortals who have recited upon the Name of Lord wins upon this world.

Be aware of three phases of life, childhood, youth and old age. Youth passes away in no time and you shall attain an old body. Mortal wished never to die but death came upon him. Mortal plotted to deceive it but death stood on his very own threshold. Nothing comes in mind when you are old and death stand at your threshold. Mortals did not do what they were suppose to, and remained entangled in greed. Says Nanak, all the time has passed away, mortal did not worship God, then and why is he crying now? Mortal have not loved the One who gave him the body and wealth. Mortal’s head shakes, feet stagger, and eyes become dull and weak. Nanak says, this is the condition mortals face, and why still they do not recite the Name of Lord? Nanak Says, O my naïve friend, when death is near you, you shake and tremble helplessly. Have you recited the Name of Lord, you would not have feared death. Nanak says, human body is hard to attain, do not waste it. Mortals have numerous friends in good time and none in bad. Nanak says, tell your conscience to recite the Name of Lord, and He shall be your companion in the end (at the time of death).

God has given you body, wealth, peace, and house to live. Nanak says, why don’t you recite the name of Lord? Lord is the only giver of peace and happiness, and there is none else. God is the savior of sinners. He is the destroyer of fear, eradicator of evil-mindedness and the protector of every orphan. Nanak says, He always resides near you, make an attempt to know Him. Immerse your mind in Him, just like the fish in the water and you shall not be caught in the cycle of birth and death again. Always recite the One, by reciting whom you attain salvation. And salvation is attained only by reciting the name of God. Your dignity lies in merging in the one whom you originated from. Nanak says, tell your conscience to recite the name of Lord, and you shall be able to meet Him.

The one who is not affected by happiness, pain, greed, emotional attachment and egotistical pride. The one who is beyond praise and slander, and treats iron and gold alike. The one who is not touched by pain or pleasure, and treats his friends and enemies alike. The one who does not terrorize anyone and neither is afraid of anybody. The one who leaves all the materialistic things, renounces wealth and have detached himself from this world. The one who recites the name of God day and night, Nanak says, that person is the one who knows what is salvation, that person becomes spiritually aware, that is the person whose future is bright and that person becomes the image of Lord. The truth is that by become the image of Lord it means that there remains no difference between God and that individual. Just like a drop of water merges in the ocean.

Mortals have wandered lost and confused through countless lifetimes and yet they have not overcome the fear of death. Nanak says, tell your conscience, reciting the name of Lord, and you shall merge in the fearless Lord.

All mortals in this whole world roam around like beggar; Lord is the giver of all. Nanak says, by reciting Him in the heart, all work comes to completeness. The ones who always long happiness should start reciting the name of Lord. Tell you tongue to recite the Name of Lord and tell your ears to hear the Name of Lord. Says Nanak, tell your conscience if you do so, you shall not be caught in the cycle of birth and death ever.

Consider this world just like a dream. Nothing here is true besides God. Says Nanak, tell your conscience that all mortals are created in this world just like ripples on the water, who comes in existence and fade away all the time. Nanak says, nothing in this world is yours.

You should be worried if death was to wipe only you. But this is the condition everyone in this whole world has to face, no one is stable here. The one who has taken birth has to die; everyone has to perish. The world and its affairs are totally fake, be aware of this my friend. Just like a sand castle, this world will not last long. This world is like a dream, nothing lasts forever here. Nanak says, this is the time to sing praises of Lord and give up all entanglements. Nanak says, stable is the worshipper of God, enshrine this in your mind. Stable is the Name of Lord and stable is Lord. Says Nanak, rare are ones who have enchanted the praises of Lord.

Whenever a mortals who recites the name of Lord loses strength and is caught in worldly means and cannot do anything at all to save himself. He then asks God for help, God helps him with the strength which is greatest of all. Then he regains his strength and is able to do forsake this world. He knows that the almighty God is with him. Nanak says, everything is in the hand of God; He is the greatest savior and protector. Nanak has enshrine the Name of Lord in his heart and he says there is nothing else equivalent to it. Its His Name by reciting all the troubles disappear and Lord Himself come in appearance.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Sikhism and other Faiths
Sikhism is an individual religion formed by God through Sikh Guru.

God sent Guru Nanak Dev Ji to the this world in order to enlighten Hindus and Muslims that they are merely fighting with each other trying to prove that their religion is superior. Guru Nanak Dev Ji preached that one does not have to be in a certain religion to meet God. It does not matter which religion one belongs to, as long as one performs true worship and meditation, he or she is capable of meeting with God. As proclaimed by God, Guru Nanak Dev Ji introduced a true immaculate way in order to attain salvation and be one with God. Whoever followed the way of Guru Nanak Dev Ji was known as Sikh. Many Hindus and Muslims joined Guru Nanak Dev Ji and became his follower. Sikhism is an independent way to meet God, which does not derive any ritual from either Hinduism or Islam, however there are some similarities in the rituals and beliefs which are clarified below. Sikhism is an individual faith established by God through Sikh Gurus and it is completely wrong to consider Sikhism as a part or combination of either Hinduism or Islam.

Guru Nanak considers himself neither Hindu nor Muslim. He did not follow Hindu rituals and nor did he join Islamic law. As commanded by God, Guru Nanak introduced a true faith, whose sole purpose is the love towards God. Guru Nanak Dev Ji denounced the superstitions followed by Hindu and Muslims and told them to worship God instead of considering their religion superior.

Many Hindus and Muslims consider their religion superior but Guru Nanak Dev Ji instructed to focus on meditation of God instead of glorifying a religion. Bhai Gurdas narrates one instance when Hindus and Muslims asked Guru Nanak about was greater among them. “Priest from both Hinduism and Islam got together and began discussing religion. A great fantasy has been created and no one could understand its mystery. They asked Guru Nanak to open and search in his scripture whether Hindu is great or the Muslim. Guru replied that, without good deeds both will have to weep and wail. Only by being a Hindu or a Muslim one cannot get accepted in the kingdom of God. As the color of safflower is impermanent and is washed away in water, likewise the colors of religiosity are also temporary.” (Bhai Gurdas Ji’s Vaars 1). Guru Nanak Himself said, “The Hindu comes to the house of a Hindu. By reading the scriptures, he puts on the sacred thread. He puts on the thread, but does evil deeds. Not by taking baths he will be approved in the Kingdom of God. The Muslim glorifies his own faith. Without following the Guru, he will not be accepted in the Kingdom of God. Only a few people follow even if they are shown the way” (Guru Granth Sahib, 951).

Following are the reasons how Sikhism is different from both Hinduism and Islam:

1. Hindus worship Demi-Gods like Shiva, Bramhma, Krishna, Vishnu, Kali, Durga, Ganesh and others. Sikhism instructs to believe in One Almighty God. “The performance of countless millions of other devotions is not even equal to one devotion to the Name of God” (Guru Granth Sahib, 1163). [ More ... ]

2. Hindus perform idol worship. Sikhism instructs not to perform idol worship and not to worship anyone else besides God. Guru Granth Sahib Ji is Sikhs' Holy Scripture. Sikhs bow their head in the Gurdwara to Guru Granth Sahib as a sign of respect but Sikhs do not worship the scriptures. Guru Ji is the spiritual teacher of Sikhs and shows the way to meet God. Guru Nanak instructs that idol worship will not lead one to salvation. [ More ... ]

3. Hindus practice caste system. Hindu society is divided into four basic caste clusters. People are ranked according to their caste and are considered either superior or inferior. Sikhism instructs to consider all humans equal regardless of caste, color, race, class and gender. [ More ... ]

4. Muslims believe in polygamy and they even marry their cousins. By Islamic law Muslims can have up to four wives. Guru Nanak Dev Ji completely denounced these activities and instructed to be wedded to one person only.

5. Muslims indulge in animal sacrifices and Guru Nanak told them that this would not bring any good. Killing God’s creations in the Name of God is totally ironic. [ More ... ]

6. Muslims do not give women equal status. However, Sikhism instructs to give women equal status. [ More ... ]

7. Muslims makes fast and consider the month of Ramadan holy. Sikhism instructs that making your body suffer will not help you to meet God. Sikhism tells that meditation of God is above all.

8. Both Hindus and Muslims cut their hair. Sikhs however do not cut their hair as a respect towards God and live the way God made us. [ More ... ]

9. Both Hindus and Muslims consider their religion superior. Guru Nanak Dev Ji instructed to focus on meditation of God instead of glorifying a religion. To the Muslims Guru Nanak says, “The Muslims praise the Islamic law; they read and reflect upon it but God’s bound servants are those who bind themselves to see God” (Guru Granth Sahib, 465).

10. Both Hindus and Muslim make pilgrimages. Sikhism instructs to search for God inside your heart. One does not need to go to Pilgrimages in order to be close to God. In addition, Sikhism instructs that taking bath at pilgrimages do not wash sins. Bathing at Ganga, and Triveni does not clean your soul. The only way to clean your soul is to meditate on God. [ More ... ]

11. Moreover, Sikhism instructs the purpose of life. The purpose of this life is to become one with God, to merge in the One whom we originated from. [ More ... ]

12. Finally, Sikhism shows the way to attain salvation and become One with God. Sikhism says that you do not have to fast, abstain, go on renunciation or enter a monastery in order to meet God. All you have to do is have faith, recite the Name of God and remember Him for each possible moment. Guru Ji themselves got married and lived a family life and showed everyone that you can meet God while living a family life. Furthermore, Guru Ji said that your mind has to be detached from this world, you have to look this world as a temporary place, you will not be here forever, one day you will have to die. What you do while you are alive is critical, so make your decisions wisely. Furthermore, you do not have to detach yourself from this world physically, you can lead a normal family life and still be able to meet God. [ More ... ]

Guru Nanak Dev Ji laid the foundation of Sikhism as instructed by God. The next nine Guru sent to this world by God, strengthened the roots of Sikhism and enlightened people to meditate on One God only. Many people found the true meaning of Sikhism and those who did join and embraced Sikhism with love. Sikhism tells everyone to get rid of egotism, anger, greed, and materialistic things. Sikhism tells everyone to live a humble life and worship God. God sees all and your worship will be fruitful with time.

It is completely ridiculous to consider Sikhism a sect of any other religion. Just like you wouldn’t consider Christianity a sect of Buddhism, you should not consider Sikhism a sect of either Islam or Hinduism or a combination of both.

Many people think that Sikhism is a sect of Islam or Hinduism and many others think that Sikhism is a combination of Islam and Hinduism. What do Sikhs say about this topic?

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
ikongkaar.gif

[SIZE=-1]Its Originality[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Without an iota of doubt, the Sikh faith is original in its every aspect. It becomes clear if we pay a little attention, and study it a bit more deeply, rather than (like Tyonby etc.) believing some who merely follow the hearsay without searching the truth. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Problem[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The statements that the Sikh Gurus picked up things mainly from Hinduism and Islam, and intertwined them into the new Sikh faith, have no base. Such a claim may directly project the expression that the Sikh Gurus were not God-sent Prophets, and the Sikh faith was only a maneuvered byproduct of other faiths. Anything may get imagined and distorted by those having nefarious intentions and vested interests. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Has anyone in other religions, ever professed such derogatory claims for his or her faith? Perhaps, only the Sikhs assert their ‘vague’ liberal-mindedness, feel proud of their misdirected modernity, and make such ill-founded assertions! Very innocently, they insult their Prophets, and feel dignified and distinguished with their confused ideas. The so-called scholars and searchers, should make sincere efforts to find out the truth before making their minds public, and when advancing their opinions.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Top of Page[/SIZE]​
sikhgurus.jpg

[SIZE=-1]What do the Gurus Say?[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Such unfounded ideas evaporate when we even cursorily study what the Gurus say in Guru Granth Sahib, the Sikh Holy Book -[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]jYsI mY AwvY Ksm kI bwxI qYsVw krI igAwnu vy lwlo ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]jYsI mY AwvY Ksm kI bwxI qYsVw krI igAwnu vy lwlo ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jaae-see maae aavaae khasam kee baan.ee [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]t.aaesr.aa karee geaanu vae Lalo [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]O Lalo, I say what God reveals to me![/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1-722-Line 16[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]siqgur kI bwxI siq siq kir jwxhu gurisKhu [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]hir krqw Awip muhhu kFwie ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]siqgur kI bwxI siq siq kir jwxhu gurisKhu [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]hir krqw Awip muhhu kFwE ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Sat.t.egur kee ban.ee sat.t.e sa.t.t.e kar-e jaan.hu gur-sikh-hu [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Har-e Kart.aa aape muhu kadhaae[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]O faithful ones, have faith in the Guru’s Hymns,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Lord Himself makes him utter these.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]4-308-5 [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]qU Awip scw qyrI bwxI scI Awpy AlKu AQwhw hy ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]qU Awp sçcw qyrI bwxI sçcI Awpy AlKu AQwhw hy ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Toon’ aaep sachaa t .aeree baan.ee sachee[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]aapae alakhu athaahaa hae[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]O Lord, You are a truth, Your Hymns are true (revealed to the Guru), You are unfathomable and unlimited![/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]3-1057-8[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]Dur kI bwxI AweI ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]iqin sglI icMq imtweI ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Dur kI bwxI Aweé ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]iqin sglI icMq imtweé ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Dhur kee baan.ee aa-ee[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]t.in-e saglee chint. mitaa-ee[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]What I say is the revealed one (received directly from God),[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]and it alleviates all anxieties. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]5-628-2[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]inq aiT gwvhu pRB kI bwxI ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]inq auiT gwvhu pRB kI bwxI ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Nit.t. outh:.e gaavhu Prabh kee baan.ee[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Get up and sing the God given Hymns (His praise).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]5-1340-7[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]Guru Nanak, the First Sikh Prophet would himself say something like, “O Mardana, take out Rabab (string instrument played with a striker), revelation is coming.” What the Gurus sang was God-sent.[/SIZE]
gurugobindsingh2.jpg

[SIZE=-1]The Tenth Master[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Let us see what the Tenth Master Guru Gobind Singh says in ‘Bachitar; Natak,’ (Dassam Granth) -[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]mY Apnw suq qoih invwjw ] pMQu pRcur krby kh swjw ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]jwih qhW qYN Drmu clwie ] kbuiD krn qy lok htwie ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]mY Apnw suq qoih invwjw ] pMQu pRcur krby kh swjw ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]jwih qhW qYN Drmu clwe ] kbuiD krn qy lok htwe ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Maaen’. apnaa sut.t. tohe nivaajaa [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Panthu pr;achur karbae ko saajaa [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jaahe t.ahaan’ taae dh:armu chalaa-e [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Kabudh:e karan t.ae lok hataa-e [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I have designated you my son[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]And am sending you to set up the path of righteousness.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]In the world, you should establish Dharma (right path),[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]And take the people away from evils. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]10th Guru-Dassam Granth.[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]ieh kwrin pRB moih pTwXo ] qb mY jgiq jnmu Dir AwXo ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Eh kwrin pRB moih pTwXo ] qb mY jgiq jnmu Dir AwXo ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Eh kaarane Pr;abh mohe pathaa-eyo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Tabb maaen. jagat. janamu d:har-e aa-eyo [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]God made me for this reason (to start a right path),[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]And sent me to the world. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]10th Guru-Dassam Granth.[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]How clearly the Guru tells that God prepared and then sent him to the world to start a new Dharma. Clearly, he came to the world prepared to start a new faith and had no need to borrow things from others. The Tenth Master declares - [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]pWie ghy jb qy qumry qb qy koaU AWK qry nhIN AwnÎo ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]rwm rhIm purwn kurwn Anyk khYN mq eyk n mwnÎo ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]isMimRiq swsqR byd sBY bhu Byd khYN hm eyk n jwnÎo ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]sRI Aispwn ik®pw qumrI kir mY n khÎo sB qoih bKwnÎo ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]pWie ghy jb qy qumry qb qy koaU AWK qry nhIN AwnÎo ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]rwm rhIm purwn kurwn Anyk khYN mq eyk n mwnÎo ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]isMimRiq swsqR byd sBY bhu Byd khYN hm eyk n jwnÎo ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]sRI Aispwn ik®pw qumrI kir mY n khÎo sB qoih bKwnÎo ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Paan’ae gahae jabb t.e T.umrae t.abb t.ae kouoo aan’kh t.arae naheen’ aanyo [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Raam Raheem Puraan Kuraan anaek kahaen’ mat.t. aek naa maanyo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Sin:mr;ite Sastr; Baed sabhaae bahu bhaed kahaaen’ hamm aek naa jaanyo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Sr;ee Asipaan kr;ipaa T.umree Karre maae naa kahyo sabh T.ohe bakhaaneou[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Since I have taken Your refuge, I never looked to anyone else.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Rama, Mohammad, Puranas, Qouran, tell a lot, but I have depended only on You, God![/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]All the books of the Hindu faith tell so many secrets, but I kept steady in my faith only on You. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]God, my praising You is due to Your blessing. On my own, I cannot do anything, only You make me praise![/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Svayaa-10-Dassam Granth[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]If we have faith in our Gurus, we will have to believe them word by word. The Gurus say the truth, because it is what God ordained them to do, they themselves do not say or do anything. They are in total surrender to God. Their every thingis said or done by Him, and they stay unbound by the Karma (actions and their reactions i.e. they stay above destiny). [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Every thing in the world is under His will, but the irony is that the worldly people do not absolutely surrender to the Lord; therefore, they say or do things themselves and incur their Karma (they themselves create their destinies).[/SIZE]

Sikh Missionary Society(U.K.) - Articles - Sikh Theology, its Originality

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
[SIZE=-1]Guru Nanak[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Na Ko Hindu Na Musalman.[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]Guru Nanak, came out of ‘Bae-een’ rivulet after staying submerged in it for a couple of days, and declared, “None is Hindu nor a Muslim.” He meant that quite a number of them did not practice their faiths sincerely, and he had his independent path seeking no ideas from anyone else. He gave to his faith, the following original things -[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=-1]Beej-Mantar - the ‘Seed-Formula.’ It is the Symbol < “Ik-Oankar.” It means ‘He is One (there is none other like Him), All Pervading, All Powerful, and the Doer.’ [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=-1]Mool-Mantar - the Basic-Formula - [/SIZE]
    1. [SIZE=-1]<> siq nwmu krqw purKu inrBa inrvYr [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=-1]Akwl mUriq AjUnI sYBM gur pRswid ][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=-1]< siq nwmu krqw purK inrBå inrvYr [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=-1]Akwl mUrq AjUnI sYBM gur pRswid ][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=-1](< kw açcwrn hY “iek AoMAMkwr”)[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=-1]Ik oNkaar sat naam kartaa purakh nirbh-a-o nirvair [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=-1]akaal moorat ajoonee saibhN gur parsaad.[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=-1]God is everywhere and in everything, He is the truth - immortal, creator, without-fear, without-enmity, unborn, and self-created. This understanding comes by the Guru's Grace.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=-1]Gur-Mantar - the Supreme-Formula, or Guru’s-Formula. It is the Holy Word - vwihgurU vwhyguu{ “Waheguru” - It means the Wonderful Lord i.e. God is Great! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]There is no doubt that Guru Nanak had his Guru, but He is God Himself and none else - [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]AprMpr pwrbRhmu prmysr nwnk gur imilAw soeI jIa ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]AprMpr pwrbRhmu prmysru nwnk guu{ imilXw soe ijå ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Apran:par Parbr;ahmu Parmesaru [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Nanak Guru mil-eaa soo-ee jeeo [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Lord Himself, who is unfathomable, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]and beyond reach, is the Guru of Nanak. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1-599-5[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]Guru Nanak got every thingfrom God, had no need to learn things from others in the world, and rather he taught things to the humanity.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Top of Page[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]Protection of the Original Faith [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]The Tenth Master was also born ready (prepared) to protect and promote this new - original, faith. He asserts the same thing as Guru Nanak - [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]jvn kwl sB jgq bnwXo ] dyv dYq j`Cn aupjwXo ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Awid AMiq eykY Avqwrw ] soeI gurU smiJXhu hmwrw ]9] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]jvn kwl sB jgq bnwXo ] dyv dYq jçCn apjwXo ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Awid AMq eykY Avqwrw ] soe guu{ smiJhu hmwrw ]9] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Javan kaal sabh jagat. banaayo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]d.ae d.aaeq jachhan oupjaayo [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Aad.e ant.t.e aekaae avt.aaraa [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Soee Guroo samjhyhu hamaaraa ||9||[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]One who created the world,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]gods, devils and semi-gods,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]One who is the Prime-Being (Constant: Immortal),[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]know that He is my Guru![/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]10 - Chaupai - Hamree karo haath d.ae Rachhaa - Dassam Granth.

-

[/SIZE]​

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
[SIZE=-1]Bhai Gurdas[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]suxI pUkwir dwqwr pRBu guru nwnk jg mwih pTwieAw ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]..... kil qwrix guru nwnk AwieAw ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] suxI pUkwir dwqwr pRBu guu{ nwnk jg mwih pTweXw ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]..... kil qwrix guu{ nwnk AweXw ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Sun.ee pukaare d.aat.aar Prabhu Gur Nanak jagg maahe pathaa-eaa| ................ Kalle t.aaran.e Guru Nanak aa-eaa|[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Lord, sanctioning the appeal of the (suffering) humanity, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]sent Guru Nanak to the world............... Guru Nanak came to emancipate Kalljug (dark age - the people of the present time).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Bhai Gurdas-Vaar 1-Paaor.ee 23.[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]Guru Nanak came prepared to save the world and had no need to learn anything from anyone other than God. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]What does all this mean?[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]The above given Words of the Gurus reveal that they did not pick things from here and there, but proclaimed what the Lord Himself ordained to them - they followed His command. Anything said by anyone Guru, pertains to all the Ten of them (they are one in spirit), and it collectively becomes in its totality the philosophy and psyche of the Sikh faith. This signifies that this faith is original, and not an outcome of any other faith, singly or jointly. The Gurus kept revealing to the people the ‘Words of God’ through their revelations: compositions i.e. the Holy Hymns. They did not adopt anything from anywhere else in the world, but equally shared with everyone what the Lord gave to them. They illuminated the world equally all over with God’s light. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The beauty is that the Guru’s preachings: Hymns, are preserved in their originality as these were composed by them. No one else authored or compiled these after their departure from the world. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A Guru is beheld as his body, which is perishable, or in the form of his spirit which is immortal. The immortal spirit of the Gurus is what they said (composed) - their Hymns, and these are contained in Guru Granth Sahib - The Sikh Holy Book. This is the reason why the Sikhs revere their Holy Book i.e. the ‘originality,’ as their ‘Living Guru.’ Had their Hymns been with no originality, there was no need for the Gurus to compose, preserve and protect them in the form of Guru Granth Sahib. Many other holy books already existed. The Gurus had originality, they shared it with the world, and it (the world) followed them in millions not in vain. The people became aware of something different, and it was the originality which they followed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]Truth and Goodness[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]We should keep in the mind that all faiths teach goodness - truth, honesty, compassion, sharing, and remembering God. No religion ever preached anything different from goodness. Goodness or truth is always the same, and it never differs from faith to faith. There is nothing like Hindu-goodness or Muslim-goodness. If it differs, it is not the truth or goodness. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Sikh Gurus had no need to beg the truth or goodness from other religions, they had it as the others had, and they were sent with it by God. They gave it to the world in its own original form and decorated with simplicity, free from superstitions, and, free from discriminations including caste system etc., filled with equality, a life free from drugs, and with controlled or right and restrained use of sex (no lust). It was based on the honest earnings and sharing with the needy. This is for the Sikhs to follow and practice. If they fail - [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]kbIr swcw siqgur ikAw krY ja isKw mih cUk ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]kbIr swcw sqguu{ ikAw krY jå isKw mih cUk ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Kabeer sachaa Sat.t.e-guru keaa akraae [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]jou Sikhaa mahe chook[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Kabeer, what can a Guru do if his disciple fails to follow![/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Kabeer-1372-18[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]Bani (compositions) of Kabir or any other saint, when accepted by the Guru and entered in the Holy Book, became ‘Gurbani’ - expressing the views of the Gurus. The preceding quote of saint Kabir, equally projects the mind of the Guru.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]Misleading[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Roots of the Sikh faith were in the main Hindu-block. The first four Gurus came directly from the Hindu families, and became the Guru’s Sikhs later. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The First Guru Nanak was a born Guru, and was different from the other faiths right from his beginning. As a child, he refused Janju (Jan-eoo), the Hindu Sacred-Thread Ceremony (putting their holy thread across the trunk). Later, he did not accept the Hindu rites for his marriage. He devised his own unique ways. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Hindu and Sikh religions are mostly apart in certain regions and in their total philosophy. But they both are one socially as well mostly in their spiritual thinking. It is impossible to easily separate them. Perhaps, due to this closeness the Gurus heavily drew episodes from the Hindu mythology to elaborate and illustrate their own views. This, extremely close relationship may sometimes create an illusion that the Sikh faith which is so recent, depended heavily on Hinduism and Islam etc. The Sikhi (Sikh faith) established its own independent, individual and distinct path uninfluenced by any other religion. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]Military Hue[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]If anyone says that the Guru gave military hue to the faith, it may get mistaken as the faith of fighters, and then it will fail to project its right picture and essence. The Gurus were not afraid of anyone other than God, and preached the same. Ninth Guru Tegh Bahadur said -[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]BY kwhU kau dyq nih nih BY mwnq Awn ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]BY kwhU kau dyq nih nih BY mwnq Awn ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Bhaae kahoo ko daet. nahe [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]naah bhaae maanat. aan[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Fear none, and frighten none.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]9-1427-9[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]The Gurus taught fearlessness and courage to adopt and practice the faith, and to fight tyranny, inequality, and discrimination. They preached to safeguard their rights, freedom, and dignity. They prepared the masses to fight evil - [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]ggn dmwmw bwijE pirE nIswnY Gwau ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Kyqu ju mWifAo sUrmw Ab jUJn ko dwau ]1] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]sUrw so pihcwnIAYy ju lrY dIn ky hyq ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]purjw purjw kit mrY kbhU n CwfY Kyqu ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]ggn dmwmw bwijAo pirau inswny Gwå ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Kyqu ju mWifE sUrmw Ab jUJn ko dwå ]1] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]sUrw so pihcwinE ju lrY dIn ky hyq ] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]purjw purjw kit mrY kbhU n CwfY Kyqu ][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Gagan d.amamaa bajeo pareou nisaa-naae ghaao[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Khaet.u ju maan.deou soormaa abb joojhan ko d.aao[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Sooraa so pahe-chaani-aae jo laraae d.een kae haet.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Purjaa purjaa katte maraae kab-hoo naa chhadaae khaet.u[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Answering the battle drum, aim is taken [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]and wound is inflicted.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The warriors enter the battlefield for combat.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]He is the real warrior who fights for the faith.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]He gets cut to pieces, but never turns his back to the battlefield.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Kabir-1105-4. [/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]What is the real battle? [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]It is fighting for the faith (Dharam) - a struggle with evils.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Gurus developed the spirit, and instilled high morale into the people to live a God-oriented ethical life, to protect the needy - the weak, and downtrodden. They encouraged them to have an able body, stable mind, tough will, and developed in them ability essential for all this - an edict to bear arms, as illustrated by the lives of the 6th Guru Hargobind, and the 10th Guru Gobind Singh.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]​
guruhargobind2.jpg

[SIZE=-1]Guru Hargobind[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]The Fifth Guru Arjun Dev told his son the Sixth Guru Hargobind to take up arms if the atrocities of the Mugal reign (Jahangir) did not stop even after his martyrdom. He had to take up arms, and constructed Akaal-Takht beside Harimandir-Sahib, at Amritsar, to impress the need of self-assertion (temporal power) to protect the faith and the self etc.[/SIZE]

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Thank you Randip Ji for the reference .Yes the web-site suggested/quoted by you is really an excellent site.I am giving below the links to the following articles. Hope the viewers can take the benefit of the links. I have yet to try these.I shall be posting some of these articles under various threads.

Regards

Following are the links
  1. "Saffornisation of Sikh history" [SIZE=-1] by Gurtej Singh. July 2002[/SIZE]
  2. "A Yankee in Khalsa Court" [SIZE=-1] by Darshan Singh Maini. January 2002.[/SIZE]
  3. "When the Leaders are Blind".[SIZE=-1] Novembor 2001.[/SIZE]
  4. "Dr. Ambedkar and Sikhism" [SIZE=-1]by Gurtej Singh. October 2001.[/SIZE]
  5. "Psychology of a Productive Spiritually inclined Khalsa". [SIZE=-1] by SS Sodhi. September 2001.[/SIZE]
  6. "On Sikh Personal Law"[SIZE=-1] by Dr. Kharak Singh. August 2001.[/SIZE]
  7. "The Amritsar Tragedy" [SIZE=-1] by Hardit Singh. July 2001.[/SIZE]
  8. "Nische Kar Apni Jeet Karo - The Sikh Regiment"[SIZE=-1] by D.S. Sandhu. June 2001.[/SIZE]
  9. "THE SIKH PROBLEM, PUNJAB, INDIA MEDIATION, NEGOTIATION AND CONFLICT RESOLUTION"[SIZE=-1] by Inderjeet Singh. May 2001.[/SIZE]
  10. "Sikh minority in India"[SIZE=-1] by Dr. Gurdarshan Singh Dhillon. April 2001.[/SIZE]
  11. "The coming Renaissance"[SIZE=-1] by Maj general Himmat Singh Gill (Retd). March 2001.[/SIZE]
  12. "We are not Symbols"[SIZE=-1] by Sri Guru Nanak Sat Sang Sabha. February 2001.[/SIZE]
  13. "Life,Mission and martyrdom of Sant Jarnail Singh"[SIZE=-1] by Dr. Ranbir singh ji Sandhu. January 2001.[/SIZE]
  14. "Concepts of Sikh polity"[SIZE=-1] by Dr. Harjinder singh ji Dilgeer. December 2000.[/SIZE]
  15. "Flowers of Guruji"[SIZE=-1]Short story by Mr. Tarnjit Singh. November 2000.[/SIZE]
  16. "Betrayal of the Sikhs"[SIZE=-1] by Dr. Kapur Singh. October 2000.[/SIZE]
  17. "Gurdwaras in Pakistan"[SIZE=-1] overview by Dr. Preetam Singh September 2000.[/SIZE]
  18. "Japuji Sahib"[SIZE=-1] by Khushwant Singh. August 2000.[/SIZE]
  19. "SIKHS AS NOOR MOHAMMAD SAW THEM"[SIZE=-1] by Prof. Surjit Singh. July 2000.[/SIZE]
  20. "REINFUSION OF SIKH VALUES THROUGH SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT OF IMMIGRANT COMMUNITIES "[SIZE=-1] by Mr. Harpreet Singh. June 2000.[/SIZE]
  21. "FUTURE OF SIKHS OUTSIDE PUNJAB"[SIZE=-1] by R.S. Narula. May 2000.[/SIZE]
  22. "FUTURISTIC VISION OF SIKHISM "[SIZE=-1] by Dr. Pritipal Singh Kapur. April 2000.[/SIZE]
  23. "PROPOSED NEW CALENDAR FOR NANAKSHAHI SAMVAT"[SIZE=-1] by Pal Singh Purewal. March 2000.[/SIZE]
  24. "BHAKTA RAVI DAS AND HIS STRUGGLE WITH MANUVAD"[SIZE=-1] by Dr S.S. Sodhi & Dr J.S. Mann. February 2000.[/SIZE]
  25. "1984 Massacre, wounds that do not heal"[SIZE=-1] by Mr. Satyindra Singh. January 2000.[/SIZE]
  26. "Langar, its ideal and concept"[SIZE=-1] by Sardar Hardit Singh December 1999.[/SIZE]
  27. "Understanding the Kirpan"[SIZE=-1] by Mr. Sandeep Singh BrarNovember 1999.[/SIZE]
  28. "Apostasy in Sikhism"[SIZE=-1] by Ms. Alice Basarke. October 1999.[/SIZE]
  29. "Spirit of Bhangani"[SIZE=-1] by Dr. Kuldip Singh. September 1999.[/SIZE]
  30. "Equality of sikh women in idealogy and practice"[SIZE=-1] by Valerie Kaur August 1999.[/SIZE]
  31. "Women as Gurmat Portrays her"[SIZE=-1] by Prabhjot Kaur. July 1999.[/SIZE]
  32. "Sikhism and Women"[SIZE=-1] by Jatinder Singh. June 1999.[/SIZE]
Archive of Featured Articles at History of the Sikhs Website

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sikh Religious Philosophy[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Realization of Truth is higher than all else.
Higher still is Truthful Living." (Guru Nanak, Sri Rag)
[/FONT]

bullet_o.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is only one God, he is the Creator, Sustainer and Destroyer.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"You are the Creator, O Lord, the Unknowable. You created the Universe of diverse kinds, colours and qualities. You know your own Creation. All this is your Play." (Guru Nanak, Var Majh)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "The Formless Supreme Being abides in the Realm of Eternity. Over His creation He casts His glance of grace. In that Realm are contained all the continents and the universes, Exceeding in number all count. Of creation worlds upon worlds abide therein; All obedient to His will; He watches over them in bliss, And has each constantly in mind." (Guru Nanak, Japji) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
bullet_o.gif
God cannot take human form.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "He neither has father, nor mother, nor sons nor brothers." (Guru Nanak, Maru) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Burnt be the mouth that asserts, the Lord takes birth. He is neither born nor dies; neither enters birth nor departs. All pervasive is Nanaks Lord." (Guru Arjan Dev, Raga Bhairon) [/FONT]
bullet_o.gif
The goal of human life is to break the cycle of birth's and deaths and merge with God. This can be accomplished by following the teachings of the Guru, meditation on the Holy Name and performance of acts of service and charity.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Without devotion to the Name Divine is birth in the world gone waste. Such consume poison, poisonous their utterance; Without devotion to the Name, without gain they die, and after death in transmigration wander." (Guru Nanak, Raga Bhairon) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "True life is life in God, contemplation on the Name and the society of the saints" (Guru Arjan Dev, Dhanasari) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "I shall merge in the Lord like the water in the sea and the wave in the stream. The soul will merge in God and like air I shall look upon all alike. Then why shall I come again? The coming and going is under the Will of the Lord and Realising This Will, I shall merge in the Lord" (Bhagat Kabir, Maru) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "The disciple of the True Guru (God) dwells upon the Lord through the teaching of the Guru and all his sins are washed away" (Guru Ram Das, Var Gauri) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Our service in the world gets us a seat in the Court of the Lord" (Guru Nanak, Sri Rag) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "One known as disciple of the holy Perceptor must, rising at dawn, on the Name Divine meditate" (Guru Ram Das, Raga Gauri) [/FONT]
bullet_o.gif
The five cardinal vices are; Kam (lust), Krodh (anger), Lobh (greed), Moh (worldly attachment) and Ahankar (pride). If one can overcome these, they will achieve salvation.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Five thieves who live within this body are lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego. They rob us of ambrosia, but the egocentrics do not understand it and no one listens to their cries" (Guru Amar Das, Sorath) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "I am in the Refuge of the Lord; Bless me, O Lord with your Grace, so that the lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego may be destroyed" (Guru Arjan Dev, Gauri Sukhmani) [/FONT]
bullet_o.gif
Narm Marg; emphasizes daily devotion to the remembrance of God.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Meditation of the Lord is the highest of the deeds, through which myriads obtain release, through which the thirst (of desires) is quenched, through which one becomes all knowing, through which the fear of death goes away, through which all the desires are fulfilled, through which the dirt of the mind is cleansed and the Nectar of the Name of God is absorbed in the mind" (Guru Nanak, Gauri Sukhmani) [/FONT]
bullet_o.gif
Rejection of all forms of blind rituals such as fasting, religious vegetarianism, pilgrimages, superstions, yoga, as well as any form of idol worship.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Let good conduct be thy fasting." (Guru Nanak, Var Majh) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "You keep the fast to please Allah, but slay life for your relish..But you do not reflect on the Lord, Who is within you" (Bhagat Kabir, Asa) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Only fools argue whether to eat meat or not. They don't understand truth nor do they meditate on it. Who can define what is meat and what is plant? Who knows where the sin lies, being a vegetarian or a non vegetarian?" (Guru Nanak, Var Malar) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "The world is in agony because of the filth of ego, the word is filthy because of duality; The filth of ego cannot be washed away, even if one bathes at one hundred holy places." (Guru Amar Das, Sri Raga) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "They go to holy places for a bath, Their minds are impure and bodies are like thieves; If by bath their dirt drops down, they got on themselves twice as much dirt and ego." (Guru Nanak, Var Suhi) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Whosover controls the mind, he is a pilgrim" (Guru Arjan Dev, Maru Solhe) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "You calculate the auspicious moments, but do not realise, That God is far above the effects of these auspicious moments." (Guru Nanak, Ramkali) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Good omens and ill omens stick to him Who does not remember the Lord." (Guru Arjan Dev, Asa)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "The way to true yoga is found by dwelling in God and remaining detached in the midst of worldly attachments." (Guru Nanak, Suhi)) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Pandits are busy studying Puranas, Yogis are busy in yogic meditations; Sannyasis are intoxicated with ego, Tapsis are intoxicated with secrets of Tapas; All are intoxicated, none is awake, With them are thieves robbing them." (Bhagat Kabir, Basant) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Five are the Muslim prayers; five their appointed hours, Five their names. These be the true prayers: The first is Truth, the second is lawful earning and the third is to beg the Graces of God for all, The fourth is the right intention in the mind and the fifth is the praise of the Lord." (Guru Nanak, Var Majh) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "He reads the holy books with commentaries, He does not remember God, his way of living is not flowless. He instructs and makes other people firm, But does not practise, whatever he says. Understand the substance of the Vedas, O Pandit!" (Guru Arjan Dev, Ramkali) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "The stone he calls his god, in the end, drowns him with itself... Know that a boat of stone carries one not across" (Guru Arjan Dev, Suhi) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "The stone neither speaks nor gives anything. Therefore its service is fruitless and its worship is of no avail." (Bhagat Kabir, Bhairo) [/FONT]
bullet_o.gif
Normal Family life (Grasth) is encouraged, celibacy or renunciation of the world is not necessary to achieve salvation. The devotee must live in the world yet keep his mind pure. He must be a soldier, a scholar, a saint.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Beauteous lady! hast not heard with thy ears, To the husband's home must thou come, nor for ever canst thou in the parental home abide" (Guru Nanak, Sri Rag) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "I that in the parents home on the Lord meditated, In the husband's home bliss have found. Blessed is the entire life of such." (Guru Ram Das, Sri Rag) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Those known as celibates knowing not the right device, discard house and home." (Guru Nanak, Asa) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Forsaking the household, one's mind took him to the forest, but it could not get peace even for a moment; but when it sought the refuge of the Saint of the Lord, its wanderings ceased and it returned to its own home. One abandoned his relatives and became a Sannyasi, but the craving of the mind did not cease. One's desires are not finished without the Word of the Guru, which alone can bring peace. When hatred for the world wells up in ones mind, he becomes a naked recluse, but the mind wanders ceaselessly and these wanderings do not end his desires, but when he meets the saints, he reaches the House of Mercy. Siddhas learn numerous Yogic poses; but their mind only after miraculous powers yearns. Thereby comes not to them fulfilment, content and peace of mind." (Guru Ram Das, Bilaval) [/FONT]
bullet_o.gif
The Sikh Holy Book (Guru Granth Sahib) is the perpetual Guru, there is no place in Sikhism for a living Guru today.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "The bani is the preceptor and the preceptor is the bani, All the nectars are present in the bani: If the faithful follows the bani of the preceptor, The preceptor himself helps him in the realisation of his ideal." (Guru Ram Das, Nat) [/FONT]
bullet_o.gif
Sikhism rejects all distinctions of caste, creed, race or sex.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "All are created from the seed of God. There is the same clay in the whole world, the potter (God) makes many kinds of pots." (Guru Amar Das, Bhairo) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Recognise the light (of God) and do not ask for the caste, There is no caste in the next world." (Guru Nanak, Asa) [/FONT]
bullet_o.gif
The Guru's stressed the full equality of women, rejecting female infanticide, sati (wife burning), permitting widow remarriage and rejects purdah (women wearing veils).
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "We are born of woman, we are conceived in the womb of woman, we are engaged and married to woman. We make friendship with woman and the lineage continued because of woman. When one woman dies, we take another one, we are bound with the world through woman. Why should we talk ill of her, who gives birth to kings? The woman is born from woman; there is none without her. Only the One True Lord is without woman" (Guru Nanak, Var Asa) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "They cannot be called satis, who burn themselves with their dead husbands. They can only be called satis, if they bear the shock of separation. They may also be known as satis, who live with character and contentment and always show veneration to their husbands by remembering them." (Guru Amar Das, Var Suhi) [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Honest labour and work (Kirat Karna) are the approved way of living ones life. It is considered honourable to earn ones daily bread through honest work and not by begging or dishonest means.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"He who eats what he earns through his earnest labour and from his hand gives something in charity; he alone, O Nanak, knows the true way of life" (Guru Nanak Dev, Rag Sarang, pg. 1245)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vand Chhakna, sharing with others is also a social responsibility. The individual is expected to help others in need through charity.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Seva, community service is also an intergral part of Sikhism. The free community kitchen (langar) found at every gurdwara and open to people of all religions is one expression of this community service.[/FONT]

The Sikhism Home Page: Sikh Religious Philosophy

[/FONT]

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Introduction to Sikhism[/FONT]
rkhanda.gif

question.jpg
A way of life and philosophy well ahead of its time when it was founded over 500 years ago, The Sikh religion today has a following of over 20 million people worldwide. Sikhism preaches a message of devotion and remembrance of God at all times, truthful living, equality of mankind, social justice and denounces superstitions and blind rituals. Sikhism is open to all through the teachings of its 10 Gurus enshrined in the Sikh Holy Book and Living Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Who and What is a Sikh? [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The word 'Sikh' in the Punjabi language means 'disciple', Sikhs are the disciples of God who follow the writings and teachings of the Ten Sikh Gurus. The wisdom of these teachings in Sri Guru Granth Sahib are practical and universal in their appeal to all mankind.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I observe neither Hindu fasting nor the ritual of the Muslim Ramadan month; Him I serve who at the last shall save. The Lord of universe of the Hindus, Gosain and Allah to me are one; From Hindus and Muslims have I broken free. I perform neither Kaaba pilgrimage nor at bathing spots worship; One sole Lord I serve, and no other. I perform neither the Hindu worship nor the Muslim prayer; To the Sole Formless Lord in my heart I bow. We neither are Hindus nor Muslims; Our body and life belong to the One Supreme Being who alone is both Ram and Allah for us." (Guru Arjan Dev, Guru Granth Sahib, Raga Bhairon pg. 1136)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Any human being who faithfully believes in: (i) One Immortal Being, (ii) Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Dev to Guru Gobind Singh, (iii) The Guru Granth Sahib, (iv) The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and, (v) the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion is a Sikh." (Reht Maryada, Sikh Code of Conduct)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Philosophy and Beliefs
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
bullet_k.gif
There is only One God. He is the same God for all people of all religions.
[/FONT]
bullet_k.gif
The soul goes through cycles of births and deaths before it reaches the human form. The goal of our life is to lead an exemplary existence so that one may merge with God. Sikhs should remember God at all times and practice living a virtuous and truthful life while maintaining a balance between their spiritual obligations and temporal obligations.
[/FONT]
bullet_k.gif
The true path to achieving salvation and merging with God does not require renunciation of the world or celibacy, but living the life of a householder, earning a honest living and avoiding worldly temptations and sins.
[/FONT]
bullet_k.gif
Sikhism condemns blind rituals such as fasting, visiting places of pilgrimage, superstitions, worship of the dead, idol worship etc.
[/FONT]
bullet_k.gif
Sikhism preaches that people of different races, religions, or sex are all equal in the eyes of God. It teaches the full equality of men and women. Women can participate in any religious function or perform any Sikh ceremony or lead the congregation in prayer.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]History and Practices[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The founder of the Sikh religion was Guru Nanak who was born in 1469. He preached a message of love and understanding and criticized the blind rituals of the Hindus and Muslims. Guru Nanak passed on his enlightened leadership of this new religion to nine successive Gurus. The final living Guru, Guru Gobind Singh died in 1708. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]During his lifetime Guru Gobind Singh established the Khalsa order (meaning 'The Pure'), soldier-saints. The Khalsa uphold the highest Sikh virtues of commitment, dedication and a social conscious. The Khalsa are men and women who have undergone the Sikh baptism ceremony and who strictly follow the Sikh Code of Conduct and Conventions and wear the prescribed physical articles of the faith. One of the more noticeable being the uncut hair (required to be covered with a turban for men) and the Kirpan (ceremonial sword). [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Before his death in 1708 Guru Gobind Singh declared that the Sikhs no longer needed a living and appointed his spiritual successor as Sri Guru Granth Sahib, his physical successor as the Khalsa. Guru Gobind Singh felt that all the wisdom needed by Sikhs for spiritual guidance in their daily lives could be found in Sri Guru Granth Sahib, the Eternal Guru of the Sikhs. Sri Guru Granth Sahib is unique in the world of religious scriptures because not only is it accorded the status of being the spiritual head of the Sikh religion, but besides the poetry of the Gurus, it also contains the writings of saints of other faiths whose thoughts were consistent with those of the Sikh Gurus.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sikhism does not have priests, which were abolished by Guru Gobind Singh. The Guru felt that they had become corrupt and full of ego. Sikhs only have custodians of the Guru Granth Sahib (granthi), and any Sikh is free to read the Guru Granth Sahib in the Gurdwara (a Sikh temple) or in their home. All people of all religions are welcome to the Gurdwara. A free community kitchen can be found at every Gurdwara which serves meals to all people of all faiths. Guru Nanak first started this institution which outline the basic Sikh principles of service, humility and equality. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The most significant historical religious center for the Sikhs is Harmiandir Sahib (The Golden Temple) at Amritsar in the state of Punjab in northern India. It is the inspirational and historical center of Sikhism but is not a mandatory place of pilgrimage or worship. All places where Sri Guru Granth Sahib are installed are considered equally holy for Sikhs.[/FONT]
The Sikhism Home Page: Introduction to Sikhism

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gurdwaras[/FONT]
rkhanda.gif

bullet_k.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is a Gurdwara?[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
temple1.jpg
During the times of the early Gurus, Sikh places of worship were referred to as dharamsalas. They were a place where Sikhs could gather to hear the Guru speak or sing hymns. As the Sikh population continued to grow Guru Hargobind introduced the word Gurdwara, meaning the gateway through which the Guru could be reached. Thereafter all Sikh places of worship came to be known as Gurdwaras. Any place where the Guru Granth Sahib is installed and treated with due respect can be referred to as a Gurdwara, whether it is a room in ones house of a separate building. Three main functions are carried out in all public Gurdwaras. One is Kirtan which is the singing of hymns from the Guru Granth Sahib, another is Katha which is reading of the Guru Granth Sahib and explanations. The third main function which is carried out at every Gurdwara is the Langar, free community kitchen for all visitors of all religions. Along with these main functions Gurdwaras around the world also serve the Sikh community in many other ways including, libraries of Sikh literature, schools to teach children Gurmukhi and the Sikh scriptures and charitable work in the community on behalf of Sikhs.
[/FONT]
bullet_k.gif
Gurdwara Protocols
When entering the Gurdwara one is expected to remove the shoes and cover ones bare head as signs of respect towards the sovereignty of the Guru Granth Sahib. Hands are washed and in some Gurdwaras there are also feet washes. Approaching the Guru Granth Sahib one is expected to bow down and touch the floor as a sign of further respect towards the Eternal Sikh Guru. Offerings of cash are usually made at this time to help carry the expenses of running the Gurdwara and community work carried out by the Gurdwara. These offerings are voluntary and not compulsory. All people irrespective of their status sit on the floor as a sign of equality as opposed to chairs and the Guru Granth Sahib is always installed on a higher level. One may enter or leave the congregation at any time. Men and women do not generally sit together but on separate sides of the room, both at an equal distance from the Guru Granth Sahib. All people are expected to stand facing the Guru Granth Sahib when the Ardas (common prayer) is read out. Gurdwaras are open to all people of all religions and are generally open 24 hours a day. Some Gurdwaras also provide temporary accommodations for visitors or pilgrims. In the Langar all sit on the floor and food is cooked and served by volunteers, this food is available at all times. Only vegetarian food is served so that no person may be offended and all people of all religions can sit together to share a common meal irrespective of any dietary restrictions.
[/FONT]

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gurdwaras
The Most Sacred Shrines
[/FONT]
rkhanda.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Golden Temple: Sri Harimandir Sahib, Amritsar[/FONT]
golden0b.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Harimandir Sahib (meaning Temple of God) is also commonly known as the Golden Temple or Darbar Sahib (Divine Court). It is situated in the city of Amritsar in Punjab. The Golden Temple is a living symbol of the spiritual and historical traditions of the Sikhs. It is a source of inspiration for all Sikhs and their chief place of pilgrimage. The temple with it's glistening gold covered exterior stands in the middle of a square tank with each side about 150m with an 18m path on all four sides. A 60m causeway traverses the pool to reach the Temple itself which is 12m square and rests on a 20m square platform in the middle of The Pool of Nectar. The Harimandir Sahib has entrances and doors on all four sides. Guru Arjun Dev exclaimed; "My faith is for the people of all castes and all creeds from whichever direction they come and to whichever direction they bow." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Guru Amar Das the Third Sikh Guru asked Ram Das (who would go on to become the Fourth Sikh Guru) to build a central place of congregation for the Sikhs. Guru Ram Das started excavation work in 1577 during his lifetime. Guru Arjun Dev the Fifth Sikh Guru completed excavation of the Tank known as Amritsar (The Pool of Nectar) in 1588. Guru Arjun Dev then started construction of the Temple building itself which was finally completed in 1601. The first edition of the Holy Book of the Sikh's The Guru Granth Sahib was installed there in 1604 with Baba Buddha as the first granthi (caretaker of the book). The last Sikh Guru to live in Amritsar was the Sixth Guru, Guru Hargobind. In 1664 Guru Tegh Bahadur the Ninth Sikh Guru visited The Golden Temple but was refused entry by the corrupt temple caretakers, The Masands. The Golden Temple has always been a rallying point for Sikhs throughout it's history. Around 1740 Massa Ranghar, the ruler of Amritsar desecrated the Temple by using it as a dancing hall. He was killed by Mahtab Singh. In 1761 Ahmed Shah Abdali blew up the Temple and filled in the Sacred Tank with refuse. The great Sikh martyr Baba Deep Singh laid down his life in revenge. The construction of the Golden Temple as it appears today was begun in 1764 when Jassa Singh Ahluwalia laid the foundation stone. Many of the doors and domes were covered with copper sheets overlaid with gold during the reign of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. The Golden Temple was partially damaged by the military invasion of the Indian Army during June 1984.

The Five Holy Takhts:
These Five Gurdwaras known as the Five Takhts (Thrones) have a very special significance for the Sikh community. They are considered the seats of Sikh religious authority. Many important decisions concerning the religious and social life of the Sikh community were made here.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sri Akal Takht[/FONT]
ak2.jpg
Akal Takht literally means Eternal Throne. It is part of the Golden Temple complex in Amritsar. The Akal Takht is situated on the other end of the causeway connected to the Harmandir Sahib. It's foundation was laid by Guru Hargobind. It was here that he was ceremonially installed as Guru in 1606. The building of the Akal Takht opposite the Golden Temple has a special meaning. While the Golden Temple stands for spiritual guidance the Akal Takht symbolizes the dispensing of justice and temporal activity. During the day the Guru Granth Sahib is kept in the Golden Temple, while at night it is kept in the Akal Takht. Traditionally all Sikh warriors sought blessings here before going to battle. During the 18th century while Sikhs were fighting a guerrilla war in the forests they used to gather at the Akal Takht on special occasions such as Baisakhi and Diwali. Here the community used to have general meetings and approve resolutions. The Akal Takht was the oldest of the Five Takhts, but it was destroyed by the Indian Army during its military invasion in 1984. It's reconstruction is almost complete.

Takht Sri Damdama Sahib
damdama3a.jpg

Damdama Sahib is situated in the village of Talwandi Sabo near Bhatinda. This is where Guru Gobind Singh stayed for nearly a year and compiled the final edition of the Guru Granth Sahib known as the Damdama Sahib Bir in 1705.

Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib
anandpur1a.jpg

Keshgarh Sahib is situated at Anandpur. It is considered the birthplace of the Khalsa. The Khalsa order was founded here by Guru Gobind Singh in 1699. Some of the weapons of Guru Gobind Singh are displayed here. The most precious of these is the actual Khanda (double edged sword) used by Guru Gobind Singh to prepare the amrit (sweet water) used in the first Khalsa initiation ceremony.

Takht Sri Hazur Sahib
hazur1.jpg

Hazur Sahib is on the banks of Godavari in Maharashtra. This is where Guru Gobind Singh left this world. The inner room of the temple is called Angitha Sahib and is built over the place where Guru Gobind Singh was cremated in 1708.

Takht Sri Patna Sahib
patna1.jpg

Patna Sahib is situated in Patna the capital of Bihar. It was here that Guru Gobind Singh was born in 1666 and spent his early years before moving to Anandpur. Besides being the birthplace of Guru Gobind Singh, Patna was also honoured by visits from Guru Nanak as well as Guru Tegh Bahadur.
[/FONT]

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gurdwaras[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

zafarnama.jpg
All religions have temples where people can gather together to contemplate on God and pray. The Sikh temple is called a Gurdwara. The word 'Gurdwara' means 'Gateway to the Guru'. In Sikhism ones personal dedication to living a good life is important but another important aspect of Sikhism is the Sangat (congregation). Not only should one meditate on God on their individual level but also on a corporate level. There are thousands of Gurdwaras throughout Punjab and the rest of the world. They serve as community centers for the Sikh's. There are no restrictions on who may enter a Gurdwara for prayer. People of all religions are welcome to attend. Another common feature of all Gurdwaras around the world is Langer, the free community kitchen. Here food is served to all people who sit together to enjoy a communal meal. It is a symbol of the Sikh belief in a non-sexist, non-racist society where all people of all casts, religions are equal and can share a common meal in the true spirit of unity.
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Many of the Gurdwaras in Punjab have a pool (sarovar) for bathing in. In Sikhism one can bathe in these pools if they wish, but they should be pure inside in order to accomplish anything. For the water may clean you on the outside, but it cannot clean you on the inside if your heart is not pure. Unlike some religions, pilgrimages is not a part of Sikhism. Sikhs may visit any Gurdwara as they are all considered equal because in all the living Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib (the Sikh Holy Scriptures), is installed as the spiritual head of the Sikh religion.

In the Footsteps of the Gurus: The Photographs

Sikhism is almost 500 years old and the landscape of Punjab is scattered with Gurdwaras commemorating important events in the lives of the Sikh Gurus. In early 1995 I spent two months in Punjab visiting, photographing and documenting over 65 historical Gurdwaras. It's one thing to read about a religion and it's history, it's quite another to experience it. Visiting the Gurdwaras of Punjab really made the religion come alive for me. Suddenly I felt transported back in time, walking in the same place where the great Sikh Gurus walked. The experience had a very profound effect on me, both emotionally and spiritually.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I originally had gathered this material to publish a book, but publishing costs are very high and I think that this precious resource material should be made available to all Sikhs and non-Sikhs around the world. There is currently no resource like it, in print, or in any other media. This web site is my individual effort to help all people realize just how rich a history and tradition Sikhism has. Sikhs should feel proud as the guardians of this precious religious heritage and make every effort to preserve it.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Khalsa [/FONT]
rkhanda.gif

khalsa3.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I have made this body and mind a sacrifice, a sacrificial offering to the Lord. Dedicating my body and mind, I have crossed over the terrifying world-ocean, and shaken off the fear of death."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] (Guru Arjan Dev, Chant, pg. 576)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Who and What is a Khalsa?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
"He who keeps alight the unquenchable torch of truth, and never swerves from the thought of One God; he who has full love and confidence in God and does not put his faith, even by mistake, in fasting or the graves of Muslim saints, Hindu crematoriums, or Jogis places of sepulchre; he who recognises the One God and no pilgrimages, alms-giving, non-destruction of life, penances, or austerities; and in whose heart the light of the Perfect One shines, - he is to be recognised as a pure member of the Khalsa" (Guru Gobind Singh, 33 Swaiyyas)
[/FONT]
2women.jpg
The word "Khalsa" means "pure", Khalsa's are Sikhs which have undergone the sacred Amrit Ceremony initiated by the 10th Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh. The Khalsa order was initially created on Baisakhi Day March 30 1699, with Guru Gobind Singh baptizing 5 Sikhs and then in turn asking the five Khalsa's to baptize him. Following this the Guru personally baptized thousands of men and women into the Khalsa order. The Khalsa baptism ceremony is undertaken as part of ones own personal spiritual evolution when the initiate is ready to fully live up to the high expectations of Guru Gobind Singh. All Sikhs are expected to be Khalsa or be working towards that objective.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The Khalsa baptism ceremony involves drinking of Amrit (sugar water stirred with a dagger) in the presence of 5 Khalsa Sikhs as well as the Guru Granth Sahib. The initiate is instructed in the following; (a) You shall never remove any hair from any part of thy body, (b) You shall not use tobacco, alcohol or any other intoxicants, (c) You shall not eat the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way, (d) You shall not commit adultery. The initiate is required to wear the physical symbols of a Khalsa at all times as well as follow the Khalsa Code of Conduct.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Khalsa
Quotes from the Gurus
[/FONT]
rkhanda.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Adopting the physical symbols or taking the Khalsa baptism ceremony alone does not make one a Gursikh (Sikh of the Gurus). It is a step in the right direction but a full commitment to living the Sikh lifestyle both physically and spiritually is required to be a Gursikh and true Khalsa of Guru Gobind Singh.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Whosoever assumes a religious garb pleases not God even a bit. O ye men, understand this clearly in your minds, that God is attained not through showmanship. They who practice deceit, attain not Deliverance in the Hereafter. They do so only to accomplish the affairs of the world and even the kings worship them for their appearance! But through showmanship, God is attained not, howsoever one searches. He who subdues his mind alone recognizes the Transcendent God." (Guru Gobind Singh, Chaupai 53-55, Chapter 6, Vachitra Natak, Dasam Granth)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The disguiser puts on various garbs. Within him is desire, and he walks about proudly. His ownself he understands not and loses the game. Putting on religious garbs some play clever. Love of maya and doubt have supremely misled them. Without serving the Guru, they suffer immense pain. They who are imbued with God's Name, ever remained detached." (Guru Amar Das, Gauri, pg. 230)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Indulging in egotism, one knows not the Lord, whatever religious garb he may wear." (Guru Nanak, Gauri, pg. 226)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"He who calls himself a Sikh of the True Guru, he should get up in the early hours of the morning and remember the Name of the Lord. He should make effort to rise before the day dawns and take a bath in the pool of nectar. Under the instructions of the Guru, he should repeat the mantram of the Guru, all his troubles will end and all his sins and blemishes will be destroyed. Then when the day dawns, he should sing the bani of the Guru and remember the Name of the Lord while sitting or moving. He who remembers my Lord with every breath and loaf, that Gursikh is liked by the Guru. He on whom my Lord showers His Blessings, the Guru instructs that Gursikh. I beg for the dust of the feet of that Gursikh, who not only repeats the Name of the Lord but also makes others to repeat it." (Guru Ram Das, Var Gauri)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"In this body (lamp), put the oil of the practice of reciting the religious books and the wick of Lord's fear. Light this lamp with the fire of the knowledge of the Truth." (Guru Nanak, Sri Rag, pg.25)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Those who are absorbed in the Name of the Lord, all their eatables, clothes and maya are pure; their houses, temples, palaces and rest-houses are all pure, in which the Gurmukhs, devotees, and the praying Sikhs live or stay; their horses, saddles and sacks are all pure on which the Gurmukh Sikhs and saints take a ride; their actions of piety are all pure, who repeat and remember the Name of the Lord; those who are destined to be virtuous, such Gurmukh Sikhs go to the Guru" (Guru Ram Das, Var Sorath)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"O Gursikhs, always remember the Name of the Lord, the True Guru and the Lord will make the life comfortable in your home, O Gursikhs, consider the bani of the Guru as True, the Lord Himself issues it through his mouth. The dear Lord Himself purifies the mouth of the Gursikhs and Himself makes the whole world proclaim loudly the Praises of the Guru. I am the servant of the Lord, who protects the honour of his servants." (Guru Ram Das, Var Gauri)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The True Guru is the ocean of pearls, one attains it according to his Writ. The Sikhs like swans gather together according to the Will of the True Guru. The ocean is full of gems and pearls, the swan eats them, but the ocean always remains full. The Lord wills that the ocean and the swans are not separated. Only that Sikh comes to the Guru, on whose forehead this Writ is recorded from the very beginning. Such a Gursikh not only ferries across the world-ocean, himself, but also saves his family and the whole world." (Guru Arjan Dav, Var Ramkali, pg. 960)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The True Guru is the field of Dharma, in which one reaps whatever one sows. The Gursikh sow the nectar and get the ambrosial fruit of God. They are pure in both worlds and in the Court of the Lord, they receive a robe of honour." (Guru Ram Das, Var Gauri) [/FONT]

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM