• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News World's First Sikh Supermodel Debuts In GQ Fashion Spread (Daily Telegraph)

Sep 20, 2004
A San Francisco businessman is set to become the world's first Sikh supermodel after being picked to feature in top fashion magazines including GQ.

Sonny Caberwal's moody looks have won him a string of commissions and caused a surge of pride and excitement throughout the world's Sikh community.

Mr Caberwal's appearance in GQ's Style magazine for spring-summer 2009 has been hailed as major boost for Sikh traditionalists. In a spread, shot by Gregor Hohenberg, Mr Caberwal, 30, poses in a black dinner jacket, black silk scarf and a pink turban. In another he wears a white tuxedo with a yellow sunflower and matching turban.

His sudden emergence as a model has come as a surprise to him. Mr Caberwal, who was working as a business developer for IT companies while running his own tea firm, was discovered by Kenneth Cole, the American fashion designer, early last year.
He featured in a video called "We Walk in Different Shoes" and was signed up by the American and South African model agency Boss.

"Cole was looking for a turbaned man for their 25th anniversary campaign, but could find no professional Sikh model," he said. "My brother-in-law suggested that I email a photo to them, and the rest is history."

He said is delighted and proud of the reaction he has received so far, and hopes it will promote greater self-confidence among Sikh men.

"It's not about me, but about Sikh identity and about our culture and traditions being in a positive light to people around the world," he said.

Although Sikh American-Indian hotelier Vikram Chatwal featured briefly in Zoolander, the Ben Stiller satire on the fashion world, Mr Caberwal is believed to be the world's only Sikh professional model.
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rs...h-supermodel-debuts-in-GQ-fashion-spread.html

Attachments

• caberal_1378047f.jpg
    caberal_1378047f.jpg
    48.6 KB · Reads: 134

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: