• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Women Run The Show In Ropar

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Women run the show in Ropar
Megha Mann
Tribune News Service

Ropar, April 29
As many as 13 women are contributing their might to the Ropar district administration.

Eight women are at key posts in the district administration in Ropar, including Judges, Excise and Taxation Officer, Senior Section Officers, while five are at lower positions.

Ropar district has two women officials in district courts, including Chief Judicial Magistrate Manjot Kaur and Additional Civil Judge (senior division) Mandeep Kaur Bedi. DSP Baldev Kaur is the only senior woman officer in the police force in the district.

Assistant Excise and Taxation Commissioner (AETC) Harjit Kaur is handling Ropar as well as Nawanshahr district. A native of Ludhiana, she joined government service in 1995.

Handling liquor vends and excise paraphernalia, Harjit feels that nothing is impossible for women. “No job is the exclusive right of a particular gender,” she said.

At the excise office, Anju is a senior section officer (accounts) and is responsible for the Excise Departments of Ropar and Mohali districts. She is also the auditor of three sales tax barriers at Balongi in Kharar, Lakhnaur barrier and Mullanpur.

“There are eight or 10 women in my cadre. When I joined in 1995, not many women were around in the accounts department. Now our number has risen,” she said.

District social security officer Amrit Bala juggles with the charge of three districts - Ropar, Mohali and Nawanshahr - dealing with old-age pension and widow pension.

“I have often handled two districts at the same time, but this is the first time when I am looking after three districts. It does grow hectic at times, but one has to work, no matter what happens,” she said.

District Food and Civil Supplies Officer Rupinder Kaur is entrusted with the job of ensuring smooth crop procurement in the entire district. She is taking care of five procuring agencies - Pungrain, Punjab Warehousing Corporation, Punsup, Punjab Agro and Food Corporation of India (FCI).

District Language Officer Manjit Kaur handles Ropar as well as Mohali district. While at Ropar, she has some supporting staff, at Mohali, she works all alone.

The Language Officer is supposed to propagate and ensure usage of Punjabi in government offices and hold events for its propagation.

Similarly, District Employment Officer Gurmeet Kaur looks after the employment and Child Development and Panchayat Officer Satinder Kaur monitors the atta-dal scheme.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20110430/punjab.htm#11

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I hope women continue to support one another as a result of this. When we band together and do not bicker, back-stab, or compete for the approval of men, no one can stop us. That is why in the dawn of civilization it was imperative that we be suppressed, sometimes violently if necessary, or sometimes by laws and punishments.

Commendations to the men who gave their support realizing that they too benefit from our talent and brains. :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM