• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Will You Marry A Girl With A Beard?

May 6, 2006
Chandigarh
This may sound a little wierd but i was asked this question by a woman who was having hair on her chin.
Due to some hormonal imbalances some girls have some unwanted facial hair which look like beards and moustaches. Girls of other religions get rid of them by threading, shaving or some cosmetic surgery, but in sikh religion removing hair from any part of the body is prohibited.So in such a situation what would a sikh girl do?
Why do then sikh boys don't accept them as wives?
Some sikh preachers advocate that these girls sould accept it as will of God and do not remove them.Then another question arises, Why don't these preachers have such girls as their daughter-in-laws?
I am having no answers to these questions, can anyone help me?

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
the or kesh is waheguru's gift to us... we have no real lagit reason to cut or trim it. Osme ppl do it for "work" related reasons, but they are not real sikhs... there are alot of examples of sikhs going to work with dastar and beard.

I get quite angry when i hear of our singhs rejecting or disliking women for who they are, :}:)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
hormonol imbalance is exceptional case and disease.in my opinion these girls should do
cosmetic surgery.for those who say that they should not remove hairs are just fanatics.there are many medical cases where a patient has to remove hair before surgery.

Feb 20, 2005
Bindy_Bains said:
the or kesh is waheguru's gift to us... we have no real lagit reason to cut or trim it. Osme ppl do it for "work" related reasons, but they are not real sikhs... there are alot of examples of sikhs going to work with dastar and beard.

I get quite angry when i hear of our singhs rejecting or disliking women for who they are, :}:)

I agree but a sikh male w/o beard looks funny and he should seek medical assistance to grow it. similarly a girl should seek cosmetic treatment to get rid of it to look natural. let us not be Kattar on this.

Anoop

SPNer
Mar 12, 2006
London Uk
The thing is, the way of god is not going through the world anymore, as everything has changed. People are not fanatic who say they shouldn't cut their hair or not. Its not about sikhism...infact its more about how god made us, and how we should leave the way we are. The thing is, its not bad, but in this world, its hard to have facial hair on women, because the world is not ready for divinity. The world is modern, so it wouldnt be acceptable to the people of this modern age. Its not a question of keeping hair is against sikhism or it doesn't look nice on women, we were all not suppose to cut our hair in the first place, as it is the way of god. So obviously to us, its not going to look nice, we are not ready for the path of god. So i would suggest that, it would be suitable in places like india, as people down in uk canada or whateva, should cut it, if they are not ready for the sikh path of divinity. This is the reason why there is a western world, different religions, etc, because people have different ways on approaching god, but the sikh way, is actually the truthfullest and purest way to go to god, as it is just what god would want us to do. But for starters it would be hard to keep hair. So let them be what they want, no ones wrong.

Anoop

SPNer
Mar 12, 2006
London Uk
There is no such thing as wrong or not.

We were not meant to look at our physical bodies, but more intro our souls and spirit.

Therefore, sikhs cant persuade people who are not ready to keep hair. You cant force people, its not about sikh teachings, because sikhism is from god, so its just about how close you are with god. Sikhism, khalsa, at that time was needed, and was the proper form of god. However, this world is not going that close with god, and its late at becoming pure. So no ones wrong, people have different feelings because they are not confident...

Its all gud!!:)

May 6, 2006
Chandigarh
hps62 said:
love knows no bond.

If I love her I shall marry her. Hair or no hair.
the beauty lies in the eye of beholder.

as they say in punjabi " apa la jan ga jino lagagi payari.

love

hps62

Wah ji wah ji..... kya baat hai !!!

Dil Khush kar ditta ji

Nov 19, 2004
Sat Sri Akaal Every one ji
When some one has cancer should we except it as the will of God and do not get it treated or removed.

Just like cancer or any growth is not normal same way hormonal imbalance is not normal for women and it need to be treated.

Just a second thought what do you all think about organ transplant.

Rab Rakha

Preetkanwar

SPNer
May 17, 2006
Noor e Khalsa does have a point

I have just one question:

which one of you would actually happily marry a women with a beard or have parents that would also consent to it?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
this is strictly "personal"...I have friends who married a midget..., another married a grossly obese girl..another married a blind man...
LOVE is BLIND.

IF a man with a beard LOVES a woman with a beard...who can come between them. The Friend who married a midget is actually 6ft tall and handsome..a most eleigible bachelor, educated to University, holding aCEO post..highly successful...the midget is an uneducated farmer's daughter, and not particualrly beautiful either..the Family tried everything in their power to dissuade him..no success..the mother threatened to burn herself if the marriage went ahead..IT DID !! on the DOT ( and the mother then didnt burn herself !!).

There are THOUSANDS of UNMARRIED Aishwaria rai types of BEAUTIES..and there are THOUSANDS of happily married "Pretty UGLIES" no one would throw a second look at..who says what happens..

Are you SURE..removing the beard will GUARANTEE a HAPPY MARRIAGE ?? IF yes go ahead..no body can stop you...IF thats what you really want..BUT the Message FORUM is NOT the place to Find your answer...

Gyani jarnail Singh

this is strictly "personal"...I have friends who married a midget..., another married a grossly obese girl..another married a blind man...
LOVE is BLIND.

IF a man with a beard LOVES a woman with a beard...who can come between them. The Friend who married a midget is actually 6ft tall and handsome..a most eleigible bachelor, educated to University, holding aCEO post..highly successful...the midget is an uneducated farmer's daughter, and not particualrly beautiful either..the Family tried everything in their power to dissuade him..no success..the mother threatened to burn herself if the marriage went ahead..IT DID !! on the DOT ( and the mother then didnt burn herself !!).

There are THOUSANDS of UNMARRIED Aishwaria rai types of BEAUTIES..and there are THOUSANDS of happily married "Pretty UGLIES" no one would throw a second look at..who says what happens..

Are you SURE..removing the beard will GUARANTEE a HAPPY MARRIAGE ?? IF yes go ahead..no body can stop you...IF thats what you really want..BUT the Message FORUM is NOT the place to Find your answer...

Gyani jarnail Singh

Last edited:

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Khalsa JI

Girl having a beard is definately pathological in medical terms . No doubt about it!

As in mordern world we treat other patholigies with medicines and surgery same should be done here

About marrying a girl with beard , if situation arises I will marry her and then get her treated as it is abnormality ( disease )caused by hormonal imbalance , and that what I have learned in my profession to treat diseases of my patient

I am really astonished to see how some us are making fuss out of medical problem and try to view and target it as Religious problem

Please think again !

Jatinder Singh

tantrix

SPNer
May 31, 2006
If you're a sikh girl, would you marry a sikh with no hair (disorder)? This question is highly subjective and very situational. Nothing to do with religious faith!

Let's say your wife of many years (very religious) has to get an operation.. she has to get her head shaved for that.. are you going to stop loving her? Ask some real questions.. question the faith of these raagi's who we respect at the highest level.. the one they found in Vancouver (or somewhere) with a girl (of the lowest kind).. that might be a good issue to raise.. not if you'll get a girl with beard.. that's too subjective..

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
hps62 said:
love knows no bond.

If I love her I shall marry her. Hair or no hair.
the beauty lies in the eye of beholder.

as they say in punjabi " apa la jan ga jino lagagi payari.

love

hps62

Maybe. If you know the gal.

But if it's an arranged marriage, then facial hair isn't exactly something that's gonna keep her on the list of suitors...let's be honest.

Waheguru made us a certain way, that's kewl. But he also gave us the ability to affect our environment and our bodies. The keeping of hair is symbolic. Under a dastaar, the symbol remains intact. But on the face of a woman?

Dude, that's just pushing it a little... :{-:)

GITIKA KAUR

SPNer
Sep 7, 2006
delhi,india
wjkk wjkf
I want to say that if the guy is a pure Sikh in heart and soul, he should not reject a girl coz of her facial hair, its a gift of God, some of us have more hair growth others less. If he rejects her for only that reason, there will be someone who appreciates her for that. If he respects her as a creation of God he will honor her the way she is. But i can understand that some girls/women don't feel comfy with too much hair growth on their chin or like you mentioned carry a mustache. If they don't shave or take radical steps coz of their faith and belief and they feel very insecure about their appearance, some of them bleach the hair on their face. But this only goes for fair skinned girls, else it might have contradicting results. I strongly believe that God created people to be happy and not suffer their whole lives feeling inferior or wrong if they have facial hair, it can create complexes and does not necessarily be viewed as a sin to wards God to keep their faces hairless. God wants that every living creature gets the respect and acceptance they deserve, no matter how they look like. Once again my apologies to anyone who doesn't agree with me, these are my views and views differ for different individuals. . I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings with my reply i am a learner and will always be a learner please guide me
with regards
gitika kaur{sggsji daughter}

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
wjkk wjkf
I want to say that if the guy is a pure Sikh in heart and soul, he should not reject a girl coz of her facial hair, its a gift of God, some of us have more hair growth others less.

Mm...see, it works both ways. It's all about everyone projecting their own personal standards on other people. Whether it's me thinking that the idea of a girl with facial hair is unattractive, or whether it is you thinking that love should somehow be purely plutonic and not at all physical (or that facial hair on women is physically attractive on the basis that it is God-given), the point is that we all have different standards and principles.

God creates everyone equal, yes...but a common misconception, particularly in the West, is that the idea of being "equal" and being "identical" are the same thing. They're not.

A black man and a white man are "equal", of course. But they are very obviously not "identical". Similarly, a woman with facial hair and a woman without are also "equal", but - again - are not "identical". The criminal and the victim of a crime are "equal", but they are not "identical".

We make choices every day about how we want to conduct ourselves, and that's really all that matters in the end. I know that I would rather not get married to a woman who will be my life partner and not have someone who I found physically attractive as well as being of sound spirit. But, then again, there may be someone who has a different idea of beauty and actually happens to dig a goatee on a gal...or doesn't care for physical attraction at all.

In the end, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' for these kinds of things. There are only choices.

GITIKA KAUR

SPNer
Sep 7, 2006
delhi,india
wjkk wjkf
in sukhmani sahib 16 ashtpadi we read
Rup na rekh na rang kichh,trih gun te Prabh bhinn
God has no form, outline or color .He is unaffected by the three qualities of Maya
Tiseh bujhae nanka jis hovai su-prasann
he causes him to know him,with whom He is well pleased,{says} {Guru} Nanak.
dont want to say more in this topic
regards
gitika kaur{sggsji daughter}

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
u have a point geetika.. but as max said, attraction is a subjective and personal matter..

i guess jatinder put the hammer right on the nail when he says that when we say"harmonal imbalance" we are accepting a disorder...and i think it should be rectified..

peace

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: