• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity Why I Chose To Be A Sikh And Not A Christian!

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Das appriciate the views but all fingers are not the same.Das can say that in Kanjer Kavita title we have email adress of a bro who wants to ahve deabte with das on Dasham Granth.Try to contact him and you will find him cool.

He is know as the Khalsa Fauj.REst of the Sanatani Sikhs do not lie him but Das admires him.

Jul 10, 2006
I think either way, if you analyse what you have stated, these things go on inspite of Sikhism and NOT because of Sikhism.

In the UK we had demonstartation over a play called Behzti, and many of my white English friends who went to see the play were disgusted by the implication of the play that rape, murder etc happened because of Sikhism.

People pay lip service to Sikhism. They think that by growing their beard long, praying day and night, wiping shoes at the entrance of the Gurudwara, attacking people who eat meat with venom etc etc etc they are Sikhs. This is however wrong.....Sikhism is about code of conduct.

This is what Guru Nanak says about woman:

Page 473

He goes on to say both are equal as they both have God in them:

Guru Ramdas

[/b][/color]

Thank Waheguroo that there are people like yourself who actually try and understand and live gurbani.

Unfortunately there are many so called Sikhs in, for example UK,dress like amritdharis(women mostly) but treat women as second class citizen. (not as bad or the same degree as the muslims mind you).

And guess what, ITS THE WOMEN who treat their daughter in laws, daughters and other women like crap. This "older" women act all pious but have forgotten all about the teachings of Sri Guru Nanak ji. And these women incite their husband, sons etc to behave in this manner. Take for eg, burning of the young daughter-in-law recently in India. If the women in that family had any sense and practised gurbani/ Sikhi, that incident wont have happened!. Unfortunately their attachment to money was too great (ie "dowry" which should not be practised by a Sikh!).

Unfortunately there are many who need to be spoonfed to understand the principals of a Sikh way of life.

No effort in finding it out for themselves, lack of education ie reading and writing( which is a major problem in punjab), cant be bothered, have misconception of thinking that they are Sikh's just because they are born into a Sikh family, no guidance from Sikh parents, brainwashed by non-Sikhs due to their environment etc etc.

I think this generation of Sikhs will do much better as they have access to computers, forums, electronic forms of Gurbani with translations, forums to ask questions etc.

As for me, I am too independent and speak my mind to take any hindufied or islamified crap about women and their station in life from anyone. :}{}{}:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Thank Waheguroo that there are people like yourself who actually try and understand and live gurbani.

Unfortunately there are many so called Sikhs in, for example UK,dress like amritdharis(women mostly) but treat women as second class citizen. (not as bad or the same degree as the muslims mind you).

And guess what, ITS THE WOMEN who treat their daughter in laws, daughters and other women like crap. This "older" women act all pious but have forgotten all about the teachings of Sri Guru Nanak ji. And these women incite their husband, sons etc to behave in this manner. Take for eg, burning of the young daughter-in-law recently in India. If the women in that family had any sense and practised gurbani/ Sikhi, that incident wont have happened!. Unfortunately their attachment to money was too great (ie "dowry" which should not be practised by a Sikh!).

Unfortunately there are many who need to be spoonfed to understand the principals of a Sikh way of life.

No effort in finding it out for themselves, lack of education ie reading and writing( which is a major problem in punjab), cant be bothered, have misconception of thinking that they are Sikh's just because they are born into a Sikh family, no guidance from Sikh parents, brainwashed by non-Sikhs due to their environment etc etc.

I think this generation of Sikhs will do much better as they have access to computers, forums, electronic forms of Gurbani with translations, forums to ask questions etc.

As for me, I am too independent and speak my mind to take any hindufied or islamified crap about women and their station in life from anyone. :}{}{}:

Hi Kaur-1,

Thanks for your kind words.

I am still learning and I have always seen studying sikh history from objective sources as the key to understanding the Sikh psychi.

You are correct, there are too many people who think that a Sikh dressing or eating in such and such a way is the key to Sikhism. Sikhism is about deeds and actions. No point talking about Truth, you have to actually walk that truth......"Higher that truth is truthful living".

To many of us "Sikhs" think by mimicing some Baba or Sant that, that is the Sikh way, when the reality is the our Guru (the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji), is what we need to go for and understand......and coming full circle again......studying Sikh history helps me in understand ing the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji..............not some big bearded Sant Jatha type.

Women and Men have always stood as equals in Sikhism, through their title's Singh and Kaur. Both titles are of equal and hight status. It is their own title (not someones surname).........and this also recognises our diversity......as men and women....hence why women are Kaur and men are Singh. So you could say the idea of equality and diversity too was thought up by our Guru's over 300 years ago. :wink:

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
1. The Guru Granth Sahib ji was penned by the Guru's and not by disciples, many years later.
2. Sikhism is a non-missionary faith that does not believe in converting other and disrespecting other people beliefs.

3. Sikhism concepts of Langaar (Communal Kitchen), Wandh Chakna, and the Chardi Kalan Spirit.

4. "Higher than Truth is Truthful Living". No point just talking about the truth unless one is prepared to live it.

5. Defending the poor and weak, no matter what their religion, colour, creed.

6. Standing up for Justice, Freedom, and Equality.

7. Sikh women can and have for last 300 to 400 years taken Sikh congregations wheras Christians still argue about female priests.

8. The concept of Gurmatta or mutual consent, which is a democratic principle. Christianity has no such principle.

9. God does not take human form, but rather God is in each and every one of us. It is up to each and every one of us to realise God.

10. Sikhism respects, Jesus, Mohammed, Moses, Ram etc on an equal footing.

11. Believe in the life of a householder and not one of a recluse or a Nun or Priest.

Can anyone else add more to this?

Not to get into a bashing mentality but other things big things could include;

No history of systematic slavery in Sikhism (Christians in Africa)

No unprovoked attacks on other races for the simple reason of being different (The inquisition)

Witch dunking and witch hunts

Colonialism with undertones of Christendom

Displacing communities all over the globe (Indentured trading)

Killing of homosexuals (condoned in bible, Leviticus I think)

Totally irrational creation stories (Adam and Eve, where were the dinosaurs?)

That is not to say that we haven't got any dark episodes in our history but the unprovoked mass murder and slavery under the banner of Christianity is on another level.

H.t.

SPNer
Oct 8, 2006
This post is meant to be a direct rebuttle to internet troll and Christian religious fanatic Rajs post.

My Reasons are as follows:

1. The Guru Granth Sahib ji was penned by the Guru's and not by disciples, many years later.

2. Sikhism is a non-missionary faith that does not believe in converting other and disrespecting other people beliefs.

3. Sikhism concepts of Langaar (Communal Kitchen), Wandh Chakna, and the Chardi Kalan Spirit.

4. "Higher than Truth is Truthful Living". No point just talking about the truth unless one is prepared to live it.

5. Defending the poor and weak, no matter what their religion, colour, creed.

6. Standing up for Justice, Freedom, and Equality.

7. Sikh women can and have for last 300 to 400 years taken Sikh congregations wheras Christians still argue about female priests.

8. The concept of Gurmatta or mutual consent, which is a democratic principle. Christianity has no such principle.

9. God does not take human form, but rather God is in each and every one of us. It is up to each and every one of us to realise God.

10. Sikhism respects, Jesus, Mohammed, Moses, Ram etc on an equal footing.

11. Believe in the life of a householder and not one of a recluse or a Nun or Priest.

You say that sikh is non-missionary and all accepting, right? Tell me then what merit has this man?
He became famous for preaching that he is God. He died for it. Is He not a fool? He would have to believe that He was God inorder to go to His grave for it. His desiples claimed He rose from death. They died for that. They believed it as much a He believed Himself God.
Either these 13 soul have spread the mud of insanity over the revelation of God, or Jesus really is God and must be worshipped "forsaking all others" like in a monogamous marriage.
Why do you deny God or accept a madman?

H.t.

SPNer
Oct 8, 2006

Not to get into a bashing mentality but other things big things could include;

No history of systematic slavery in Sikhism (Christians in Africa)

No unprovoked attacks on other races for the simple reason of being different (The inquisition)

Witch dunking and witch hunts

Colonialism with undertones of Christendom

Displacing communities all over the globe (Indentured trading)

Killing of homosexuals (condoned in bible, Leviticus I think)

Totally irrational creation stories (Adam and Eve, where were the dinosaurs?)

That is not to say that we haven't got any dark episodes in our history but the unprovoked mass murder and slavery under the banner of Christianity is on another level.

The crusades, racism, warring between protestants and Catholics, many evils have been committed by Christians in the name of Christ.
These people are chief in Satan's ranks. They think they are of Christ, but they are bound for hell.
"You travel across land and sea to convert one soul, but once he is converted you make his twice the son of hell that you are!"
People are evil. The Roman Catholic church for thousands of years are nothing more than a secular kingdom with a lot of crossed lying about.
Many Christians are evil. These are not following Christ. Jeshuah never killed anyone, enslaved anyone, indentured anyone. God is Love. So many people will do whatever they want so long as they end it with the phase "God wills it!"

Have a world empire shatter, leaving Sikhs in places of power and see if the evil in all humans does bring them to do some atrocious evils.
Sikhism isn't even six hundred years old yet. Give it 2000 starting at the colapse of a world empire, and see how many evil so-called sikhs there have been.
All the thing you mentioned two mentioned above are actually proofs for Christianity. No matter how corrupt the powers that be are, there are always those willing to seek truth through the false doctrine.
seeking after God
H.t.
God did not commend us to kill homosexuals. The Yistaelites were commanded to put on trial anyone involved in the disease ridden "life style".
Homosexuality (the sexual longing for the same gender) is a natural degrading of DNA. It is a disease like asthma or arrhythmia.
The law was made to keep STD's at bay in the nation of Yisrael.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

randip singh ji i don't beleive sikhism was non missionary faith.if that is the case then how about ancestors of 25 million sikhs converted to sikhism.may be sikhs are not interested in converting people now and they are more interested in imposing sikhi on their children.

navroopsingh

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
Im not christian because i honestly don't know who wrote the bible.

Dont know which parts have been changed for whatever reason or which gospels haven't been included.

Christ believed himself to be a God? I think it is far from that! He believed himself to be the son of god which is incorrect because we are all the children of god.

Sexism is extremely high and is even in the bible.

The final reason i am not christian is because I love my guru!

Jul 28, 2006
Surinder - I agree with you. Simply by saying that we are equal doesnot mean we give equal rights to women. Delve deeper in your hearts and see if we are really following it. The truth is that most sikh women donot question back for their rights, usually you see them smiling in Public gatherings in new clothes and lots of makeup. But is that all TRUE or there is more to it.

Secondly, the standard of living of women in christian societies and christian based countries is far better than anyone else. Our women are scared to speak because of respect of their parents and because they are brought up with som much pressure that any rebellion is BAD and dis-repectful. They suffocate themselves but donot question.

Jul 28, 2006
Satan can affect anyone anytime..

The crusades, racism, warring between protestants and Catholics, many evils have been committed by Christians in the name of Christ.
<Every faith will have people who do good and bad in name of faith. Whats ur view on Mother teresa and Abraham Lincoln?>

These people are chief in Satan's ranks. They think they are of Christ, but they are bound for hell.
<Does that mean that you believe in Heaven and Hell theory??>>

"You travel across land and sea to convert one soul, but once he is converted you make his twice the son of hell that you are!"
<How?>

People are evil. The Roman Catholic church for thousands of years are nothing more than a secular kingdom with a lot of crossed lying about.
<No comments on this>

Many Christians are evil. These are not following Christ. Jeshuah never killed anyone, enslaved anyone, indentured anyone. God is Love. So many people will do whatever they want so long as they end it with the phase "God wills it!"
<But we know that they r doing their Will and not Gods will>

Have a world empire shatter, leaving Sikhs in places of power and see if the evil in all humans does bring them to do some atrocious evils.

Sikhism isn't even six hundred years old yet. Give it 2000 starting at the colapse of a world empire, and see how many evil so-called sikhs there have been.
<sikhism hasnt seen so much amout of power to be seen>

All the thing you mentioned two mentioned above are actually proofs for Christianity. No matter how corrupt the powers that be are, there are always those willing to seek truth through the false doctrine.

seeking after God

H.t.

God did not commend us to kill homosexuals. The Yistaelites were commanded to put on trial anyone involved in the disease ridden "life style".
<We all know that this disease is a state of mind and not of Body. We all agree that it is abnormal and this didnot exist earlier. So, how is it right?>

Homosexuality (the sexual longing for the same gender) is a natural degrading of DNA. It is a disease like asthma or arrhythmia.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
You say that sikh is non-missionary and all accepting, right? Tell me then what merit has this man?

This avoids the game of one upmanship displayed by Christianity and Islam i.e. "my religion is better than your religion". Sikhism works on attraction rather than selling it like a second hand car salesman.

He became famous for preaching that he is God.

His word is not written so how do you know that?

He died for it. Is He not a fool?

Did he die for that or was he trying to just be a better *** and reform Judaism. Did he ever want a separate religion?

He would have to believe that He was God in order to go to His grave for it.

Why would he? Two Sikh Guru's martyred themselves and never believed they were God? The Tenth Sikh Guru's 4 children martyred themselves and never did the 10th Guru utter words of hatred. He never thought he was a god.

His desiples claimed He rose from death.

Did he actually die?

They died for that.

How many exactly died?

They believed it as much a He believed Himself God.

I don't believe he ever thought he thought he was God. This is gibberish made up during the rule of Constantine.

Either these 13 soul have spread the mud of insanity over the revelation of God, or Jesus really is God and must be worshipped "forsaking all others" like in a monogamous marriage.

I don't believe the 13 spread anything. I think Jesus was just a reforming Rabbi trying to be a better ***.

Why do you deny God or accept a madman?

I don't deny God, I just choose not to follow your path. I can respect your path but you cannot respect mine because your religion of Constantine won't let you.;)

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

If you think Homosexuals are a disease, you truly need help!

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Surinder - I agree with you. Simply by saying that we are equal doesnot mean we give equal rights to women. Delve deeper in your hearts and see if we are really following it. The truth is that most sikh women donot question back for their rights, usually you see them smiling in Public gatherings in new clothes and lots of makeup. But is that all TRUE or there is more to it.

Is that Sikhism or is that Punjabiat/Indian Culture? The so called Bollywood/Bhangra Culture?

Secondly, the standard of living of women in christian societies and christian based countries is far better than anyone else. Our women are scared to speak because of respect of their parents and because they are brought up with som much pressure that any rebellion is BAD and dis-repectful. They suffocate themselves but donot question.

Are they?

India, Bangladesh and Pakistan have had women Presidents. Has America?

The head of the Sikh Gurudwara's was a woman till recently. I have not come accrosss any female leaders of Christian Churches?

I have searched Christian chronicles but I have not comes across women like Mai Bhago, who sword in hand led Sikhs from the front. Sisters like Bebe Nanki, who's love devotion and faith in her brother is an inspiration to us all.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

Sonia ji

Please do not compare western christian societies with any Indian society.The standard of women is better their because they are developed countries and not because they are christian

Jul 28, 2006
they are better countries because of something different abt them.why most moslim countries r violent, why Punjab is a RICH State, Why is there no Sikh beggar but hundreds in Hindus and moslims?, Why is west only so advanced as compared to others...

Its because their Beliefs tie well with their plans that go well with their implementation.

Why is it all so Perfect for them only..?? What is that Key differentiator between them and others.. and you will get the answer.

Jul 28, 2006
In the same India and Pakistan those women are NO MORE. Has america??

Yes, there was 1 woman heading the gurudwaras.. But here we are speaking about the remaining.. Those that are not in power and are not that strong.

Jul 28, 2006
well, there was no STD in 3000 BC.Also, there was no means of determining the DNA. Still the law existed even before the 'Lifestyle spread'.and those who voilated the law ,saw the consequences.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
In the same India and Pakistan those women are NO MORE. Has america??

Yes, there was 1 woman heading the gurudwaras.. But here we are speaking about the remaining.. Those that are not in power and are not that strong.

Hi Sonia,

I think if one is to measure women have made more progress in so called "Christian" countries (because they are Christian only in name), what measures do we use to measure progress?

If we are talking about religion then Christianity is very backwards. Here are some examples:

1) Religious services are still 99% of the time conducted by men, wheras women or a man can conduct a Sikh service. Christianity the church is divided over this and some people won't attend a church conducted by a woman.

2) Heads of Gurudwara. There are women heads of Sikh temple committees all over Punjab, and India. There a no heads of any Christian churches that are women.

Are we measuring in terms of education?

Western Countries (due to the legacy of Imperialism) have better education than so called developing countries. Note that womens emancipation has only occurred in earnest in the last 20 years in the UK. There are still few women, Engineers, Surveyors etc, so called boys subjects.

Economics?

Women still earn less than men in the West despite laws. There is inherent prejudice STILL in the workplace. This has been acknowledged in many studies.

These are just a couple of examples. Things may seem hunky dory and all nice in Western Countries, but the discrimination against women is still there. A be it a little more subtle than in India.;)

I say this as a person born and bred in England and has campaigned (and still does) for euality for women and ethnic minorities.

Mar 26, 2006
The biggest difference I can see and say is Christian Evangelists promise everything from money to jobs to women and heaven.

Sikhi, Sikhi of the Khalsa swaroop has just one incentive A VALOUROUS SACRIFICE

Hind De Sacche Paadshaah Dasmes Pita Sri Guru GobindSinghji Kalgidhar Maharaj states thus in His prayer
Deh Shiva bar mohe ihai shubh karman the kabhu na taroo
Na daroo ar siyoo jab jah laroon Nischai kar apni jeet koroo
Ar Sikh hao apne hi mum ko Eh lalch hou guna tau uchroo
Jab aav ki audh nidhann Banay Aut he rann me tab joojh maroo

Translation: O Lord grant me this boon, that I may never avoid doing a good deed.
Never shall I fear the enemy when I go into the battlefield and always ensure my victory .That I may teach myself this greed alone, to learn only Thy praises.
And when the last days of my life come, I may die in the might of the battlefield.

The reason why I have highlighted is ..The Prayer clearly states " I may die in the might of the battlefield." Here The Sarbans Daani Dasve Paadshaah ji has not asked for the Kingdom of Heaven. He also does not request the Akaal Purakh Lord Almighty to slay the enemies. HIS Highness the Tenth Master asks for the boon to fight.

THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE.

THIS IS THE STATE OF CHARDHIKALA. THE KHALSA is a Saintly Warrior Panth . We have no incentives when we wish to initiate. We even have to forego the beautifying of the KES (hair) . We by initiating into the Khalsa are putting on the Uniform of the AKAAL PURAKH'S ARMY .

" je tau prem khelan ka chao:
sir dhar talli galli meri aoo."

"Desirest though to play the game of love with me?
Then come ,but thy head on thy palm should be:

This is Sikhi. From the day you enter you just Sacrifice.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: