• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Are We Not Allowed To Cut Hair When It's Ok To Cut Nails, Since Both Are Created By God?

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I found another great article on the topic shared by a bibi on FB:

Q: Why Sikhs do not cut their hair but they cut their nails?

A: It is often argued that Sikhs do not cut their hair so why do they cut their nails. Sikhs only cut the dead gray part of their nails, not the alive pink/red part. This is similar to combing and removing dead hair while retaining live hair. Just like we do not cut the pink/red part of our nails, why should we cut our perfectly live an
d healthy hair? If anything dead grey part of nails should be compared to dandruff or dead hair removed while combing.

In addition, hair is not a hindrance to anyone. Because hair can be placed in a bun and kept clean and does perform a number of functions, it is only practical to realize that keeping hair is not hard. On the other hand, having long nails is a hindrance to the body. An individual with long nails cannot functions and do everyday chores comfortably. In order to ensure that one can perform the tasks of everyday life, only the dead part of nails is trimmed.

In addition, whereas the hair grows from a tubular pit (hair follicle), formed by sinking in of the most actively dividing layer of the skin (stratum germinativum) into the lower dermis, the gray part of nails is only modifications of the upper dead layer (stratum corneum). Further, the base of every follicle bulges out forming an inverted cup, which receives blood capillaries for nourishment and nerve fibers to make the hair sensitive. An oil gland, known as sebaceous gland, opens into every hair follicle, the secretion of which lubricates the hair. A muscle is also attached to the base of every hair for bringing about movement. Pigments are added to the shaft of the hair as it grows. None of these features is associated with the dead part of nails.

Structurally, hair is extremely strong, and resists breaking due to its elasticity and flexibility. Strength of hair can be estimated from the following facts, a human hair laid on a bar of steel and then passed through a cold rolling mill would leave an imprint on the face of the steel. A hair of a man’s beard is about as strong as a copper wire of the same dimensions. If a rope were made out of strands of long hair, it would be strong enough to lift an automobile. Dead part of nails, on the other hand, are very brittle and rigid, breaking off easily. Hair are countless (upto 125,000 on head region alone), thereby increasing the surface area. Hair protects us against the harmful Ultra Violet radiations and skin cancer while the dead part of the nails do not seem to provide a similar functionality.

The differences between the two do not end with the structural features. Even the body’s response towards the two is totally different. Our body, throughout life, tries to maintain a particular length of hair. Every individual has a specific length for hair. Once the hair reaches its specific length, it stops growing. If the hair is cut, the body responds by growing it again to the specific length. It clearly indicates the link of the body with the hair all along its length. The body shows no such response to the nails, which grow from birth to death at the same rate, irrespective of whether cut or not. It follows, thus, that cutting of the dead part of nails does not tell on the body at all, whereas, cutting of hair puts extra load on the body. To sum up, if there is anything on the head that can be compared with the dead part of nails, it is either dandruff or dead hair which are removed by combing.

Nature knows best what to retain or discard. Whatever is retained is not without purpose. Hair is a gift from God, not a burden. Guru Gobind Singh Ji, in his infinite wisdom, instructed us to respect hair and refrain from tampering with it. This is the visible token of his affection for us, as well as our faith in him

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Lol, why I never came across to this thread? I would post that what Kanwaljit said 3 years ago. This is the best " reason" . But what you need for Hair is just love... Someone who dont want to maintain it, will defiently find a way to cut it.. Mhh, I think it is just because of the society.. there is no other reason ... I knew a very clever/smart guy(just on bowing terms) he made his DR title with 18 years.. I had a short moment to talk with him.. and he said he only does it because it is easier in this society.. I dont want to be excluded.. He said he doesnt want to cut, but he does it for others ..

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
So do you think we are allowed to cut our split ends and dead hair off?

An amritdhari Sikh doesn't cut any hair anywhere on the body. "Allowed"? You can do whatever you want, I suppose.

This is sounding very legalistic to me.
:noticekudi:

This points out the weakness in all the arguments, except my final answer here.*

I think of a Christian lady I used to know.

"What will happen if you cut your hair."
"Nothing."

icecreamkudi

"Will God punish you?"
:whatzpointsing:
"No."

"Will you be thrown out of being a Sikh?"
:angryyoungkaur:
"No."

"Will other Sikhs hate you?"
:angryyoungsingh:
"A few maybe. Not many of them."

"So why don't you cut your hair?"

"I love my hair. And Guru told me not to cut them. And not cutting honours my natural form, the way my Creator made it."

kaurhug
This reminds me of my next door neighbour, a morose Ukrainian who believes there has to be a hell because "why else would people obey God?"

peacesignkaur

Last edited:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
OK, I can be a hair-splitting legalist when the occasion calls for it.

First, how do you recognise a dead hair and on what basis to you say that split-end hairs are dead?

For the sake of argument, let us agree that split-end are dead. Examine the split end. Assuming dead hairs can be cut, exactly where should it be cut. Exactly where does the live hair end and the dead hair begin?

:confusedkudi:

This all gets very silly, very quickly.

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Sat siri Akal ji,
First of all - this makes sense do yiu even know how spliss accruses? It is due to fricition(if it is long) If it is cut short - there isnt much friciton - furthermore it is predisposition - Chemical substrats can promote spliss as well! Scientifally proven.. Just search for it..!
And the thing with the dead hair - yes cut it if you find any! - That why we got a comb - it removes it without searching for one " dead " hair... all hair that is solid in our scalp is you can call it " living" - You can cut the hair that you put out of your comb - but I dont know what you gain - furthermore I don´t think you will search 2 hours on your head for a "dead hair". I dont get your point...

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
If this is directed at me, I was just trying to show how silly it gets when we try to make legalisms instead of focusing on the spirit of the issue.

What makes you say that ? It's not directed at anyone, the conversation went into ''cutting dead hairs''
The 'I don't get it'' is directed at this timewasting suggestion by Kamalaji.

Tigerstylezji has made it clear that so called dead hairs are dead because they are not attached into the follicle!!- this is what our combs are for.
Why would anyone go looking for loose dead hairs in your scalp, when your comb pulls them out.
What is this crazy talk of cutting dead hairs.- split ends are partially damaged hairs they are NOT dead, I'm sure we all kow that!!
Yes, split ends are damaged and can be repaired!!
I am no hairdresser or expert, but I'm sure that the hundreds of costly serums are to ''repair''. We can't repair something that is 'dead'

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
What makes you say that ? It's not directed at anyone, the conversation went into ''cutting dead hairs''
The 'I don't get it'' is directed at this timewasting suggestion by Kamalaji.

That was not clear to me, so I responded. This is silly. Shall we move on?

How do you repair split ends? My hair are very fine and damage easily. Nothing I have tried has worked. Any home/natural remedies.

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
What about damaged hair? Can we get rid of those? We should always look our best just like how our Guru jis have (especially Guru Gobind Singh ji).

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
What about damaged hair? Can we get rid of those? We should always look our best just like how our Guru jis have (especially Guru Gobind Singh ji).

We look our best with the 5k's, doesn't matter if hair is straight or curly or split ended. If it's too damaged and doesn't belong on the head, then it will fall out on it's own accord, need not worry about that activity!

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
What do you mean by "Guru Gobind Singh ji" did? Guru Gobind Singh ji maintained his hair.. Kamala ji if you don´t feel the need of hair - get rid of those . If you don´t want to follow any Guru jis Hukam - do whatever you want! No one is forcing you to be a Sikh ! Why searching for execuses, or try to justify your doing? ...? Just burn all the hair on your body - then I bet you will feel free, you will look the cleanest and best in the world... cutting hair is only a "cosmetical reason" - because majority is doing this .. It infested their mind that they "look good" then.. No they don´t not in my eyes I prefer
this::) and this: :blueturban: or this:winkingmunda

bscheema

SPNer
Jan 4, 2010
sorry i jumped to last ,

well god created all trees on earth we cnt cut all of them , god created paddy , wheat etc we can cut .God created nails if you work hard with your hand every day they wnt grow, but it doesnt hppns with hair they ll grow nice till you are young even if you work hard .

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
What do you mean by "Guru Gobind Singh ji" did? Guru Gobind Singh ji maintained his hair.. Kamala ji if you don´t feel the need of hair - get rid of those . If you don´t want to follow any Guru jis Hukam - do whatever you want! No one is forcing you to be a Sikh ! Why searching for execuses, or try to justify your doing? ...? Just burn all the hair on your body - then I bet you will feel free, you will look the cleanest and best in the world... cutting hair is only a "cosmetical reason" - because majority is doing this .. It infested their mind that they "look good" then.. No they don´t not in my eyes I prefer
this::) and this: :blueturban: or this:winkingmunda

We are all at different stages in this life my young Veerji

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Harry ji you are right, but why don´t we start working to develope ourselfs..? There is moer arguing about Kesh and other things - then Simran / contemplation...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: