• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is The Death Of Guru's Shabad?

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!
Dear all!

For Sikhs Shabad is the Guru.

Should a Sikh be worried because Shabad may die one day.

Can some please explain this?

"gur kai sabad marai man maaray ha-umai jaa-ay samaa-i-aa." SGGS Ang 1068-8

Balbir Singh<br /><br />
----------------------------------------<br />

----------------------------------------<br />

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣਾ ਸਬਦਿ ਨਿਵਾਰੇ
आवण जाणा सबदि निवारे ॥
aavan jaanaa sabad nivaaray.
Through the Shabad, one's comings and goings in reincarnation are ended.

ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਰਖੈ ਉਰ ਧਾਰੇ
सचु नामु रखै उर धारे ॥
sach naam rakhai ur Dhaaray.
He keeps the True Name enshrined within his heart.

ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਰੈ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਹਉਮੈ ਜਾਇ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥੫॥
गुर कै सबदि मरै मनु मारे हउमै जाइ समाइआ ॥५॥
gur kai sabad marai man maaray ha-umai jaa-ay samaa-i-aa. ||5||
He dies in the Word of the Guru's Shabad, and conquers his mind; stilling his egotism, he merges in the Lord. ||5||

Last edited by a moderator:

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all!

Quote "Through the Shabad, one's comings and goings in reincarnation are ended."
Is this the reason? Hardly Sikhs are found on earth.

Quote "He dies in the Word of the Guru's Shabad . . ."
This would be great to ask the dead how he died in the word of the Guru's Shabad.

Balbir Singh

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Dear all!

Quote "Through the Shabad, one's comings and goings in reincarnation are ended."
Is this the reason? Hardly Sikhs are found on earth.

Quote "He dies in the Word of the Guru's Shabad . . ."
This would be great to ask the dead how he died in the word of the Guru's Shabad.

Balbir Singh

Balbir Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Gurbani is all spiritual not physical. Physical death is inevitable how ever spiritually one dies and lives many times depending how often one gets astray from Shabad Vichar. Hence the Shabad says :-

Through contemplation and putting Gurbani into practice one stops the cycles of manmukh and gurmukh. The pendulum stops its to and fro motion and a true sikh becomes a gurmukh. hence one enjoys Sehaj-Gurmat fulcrum.

Ik Ong Kaar helps the Gurmukh to be always aware of his/her Gurmat ideals.

Guru Shabad takes one out of ignorance ( presence of ignorance means death of gurmat) and hence dispels ego.

Responding to your first post, Sikhi is idea based not personality based.. People die. Gurmat Ideas( Guru Shabad) become immortal when we make them part of our lives.

Hence Shabad is eternal and will always be if we donot give up this Sikhi Marg.

Tejwant

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all and Tejwant Jee!

The only sentence from your post that we can also refer in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee is "Guru Shabad takes one out of ignorance and hence dispels ego," provided the Guru has blessed one with Gur Shabad.
All other sentences are your understanding, in my observation.

Balbir Singh

hps

Apr 23, 2007
Respected Balbir singh ji,

I had similar doubt as you have.However, One has to keep in mind that Gurbani is always correct,our understanding is,probably ,poor.It is true for all of us.We, sometimes, get stuck up on account of limtations that our intellect is not ready to accept the meaning as it appears on the face.

'Shabd' in two context.
1.The above word can be read/used in two contexts.One is that 'shabad' is the eternal sound or the sound current.It is advocated by of some spritual masters that ultimately the objective is to get hold of this in essence 'shabad'.

2.The second meaning of the 'shabad' is the 'word' used to mean Gurbani.One can infer any meaning. One is free to use the present word under consideration.However, by using the meaning one should try to reach some logical meaning.If the meaning that we assign to the Gurbani leads to absurdity the same should be avoided.

I should suggest you that you look into the above sentence again.It is as follows:

" ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਰੈ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਹਉਮੈ ਜਾਇ ਸਮਾਇਆ"

I would look into the above sentence by using some spacing to arrive at the meaning that should be logical.I would read the above lline as follows:

"ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ , ਮਰੈ ਮਨੁ , ਮਾਰੇ ਹਉਮੈ , ਜਾਇ ਸਮਾਇਆ."

I have simply added two commas,Hope there won't be any objection.Even "japu ji sahib' requires this sort of mental placement of the commas..Most of the Gurbani requires this sort reading.

On reading the above there is a clear meaning that thru. Guru's Shabad one kills the mind [ controls the uncontrolled mind].
Guru's shabad kills the egoism.
Thru Guru's shabad one intermingles with the Almighty.

Hope this should suffice.I have made an attempt for myself and am sharing with you only and I may not be correct.

Thx and regards.

[ I would be sorry for all the mistakes.]

hps

Last edited:

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Respected hps ji,

with kind regards it is good that you want to discuss this tuk.

BUT THIS 'ADDING COMAS TO WHEREEVER IN GURBANI' IS CONSIDERED DISRESPECT TO GURBANI FOR GURSIKHS.

GURBANI HAS TO BE PRESENTED AS IT IS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WITH CHERRY ON THE TOP.......

Please kindly don't do this.

i humbly request you with folded hands.

forgive me please

Respected Saadh Sangat Ji,

We are not supposed to make any insertions or alterations to the Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
We all are aware of the fact that Originaly the TEXT in Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is without even spaces. SO THAT ONLY GURMUKHI LEARNED CAN READ GURBANI. GURMUKHI LIPI WAS INTRODUCED BY DHAN DHAN GURU SAHIBAAN JEEO FOR A GOOD REASON. To make it easy to read and understand spaces are introduced. YOU HAVE TO BE WELL VERSED IN GURMUKHI TO UNDERSTAND GURBANI :) .........................:rofl!!:

INTRODUCTION OF SPACES -THAT IS ENOUGH, AT LEAST IT DOESN'T ALTER THE MEANING. BY ADDING VISRAMS-IT WILL BE A MESSsssssssssssssssss.

SORRY FOR THE interruption from this neech in the discourse that was going on.......

humbly asking for everybody's forgiveness

just adding a few more words-
UNDERSTANDING ANY LANGUAGE DEEPLY IS NOT EASY, IT TAKES SOME TIME- LANGUAGE IS NOT JUST SIMPLE WORDS, IT REPRESENTS THE CULTURE, THE VALUES, Society.................
FOR US GURMUKHI IS THE LANGUAGE IN WHICH OUR GURU SAHIBAAN ARE COMMUNICATING WITH US- so not merely a method of communication, it is a Spiritual Symbol.

GURBANI IS PRESENTED TO US IN THIS SACRED JEWEL.

hps

Apr 23, 2007
Respected Balbir ji,

I have looked into the meaning of the above line in the English translation of SGGS.It is as follows.
gur kY sbid mrY mnu mwry haumY jwie smwieAw ]5] (1068-8, mwrU, mÚ 3)
He dies in the Word of the Guru's Shabad, and conquers his mind; stilling his egotism, he merges in the Lord. ||5||
The meaning is almost the same as suggested above.However, due to translation there are semantic differentials.This is inevitable as even our styles of reading and then coming at the meaning may be different.Some experts may have their view points that should also be respected although they will not suggest anything.
I have plainly made an effort to convey as to how I would interpret myself.
Others may not agree and they have the intrinsic right to differ.

hps

hps

Apr 23, 2007
Respected Surinder Kaur ji,

I have gone thru. your kind and expert advice as above and the same is noted for reference purpose only.Your expert guidance would be sought as and when required.We all are grateful for your guidance that is available to us from time to time and hope that you shall continue to do so in future as well.

Humbly asking for forgiveness from the core of my heart please.
All the best in your research.

hps

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: