• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is Dasam Duaar?

Mr §ingh

SPNer
Aug 20, 2004
Neutral Singh said:
How would explain this phenomenon ? Pleae discuss
vjwieAw vwjw paux nau duAwry prgtu kIey dsvw gupqu rKwieAw ] He blew the breath of life into the musical instrument of the body, and revealed the nine doors; but He kept the Tenth Door hidden. vajaa-i-aa vaajaa pa-un na-o du-aaray pargat kee-ay dasvaa gupat rakhaa-i-aa. gurduAwrY lwie BwvnI ieknw dsvw duAwru idKwieAw ] Through the Gurdwara, the Guru`s Gate, some are blessed with loving faith, and the Tenth Door is revealed to them. gurdu-aarai laa-ay bhaavnee iknaa dasvaa du-aar dikhaa-i-aa.
http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=922&english=t&id=39323
Lets kepep it this way until u expereince the Dasua Duar yourself :)

bhull chukk maaf
GurFateh

Last edited by a moderator:

Singhstah

SPNer
Jul 13, 2004
UK
Re: What is Dasam Duaar ?

I suggest reading Anhad Shabad Dasam Duar by Bhai Randhir Singh Ji. Very deep book, goes into great detail.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

The energy channels of the Ida, Pingala and Shushmana:

These three dwell in one place.
This is the true place of confluence of the three sacred rivers: This is where my mind takes its cleansing bath.
O Saints, the Immaculate Lord dwells there;
How rare are those who go to the Guru, and understand this.
The all-pervading immaculate Lord is there.
What is the insignia of the Divine Lord’s dwelling?
The unstruck sound current of the Shabad vibrates there.
There is no moon or sun, no air or water there.
The Gurmukh becomes aware, and knows the Teachings. Spiritual wisdom wells up, and evil-mindedness departs;
The nucleus of the mind sky is drenched with Ambrosial Nectar.
One who knows the secret of this device meets the Supreme Divine Guru.
The Tenth Gate is the home of the inaccessible, infinite Supreme Lord.
Above the store is a niche, and within this niche is the commodity.
One who remains awake, never sleeps.
The three qualities and the three worlds vanish in the state of Samadhi.
He takes the Beej Mantra, the Seed Mantra, and keeps it in his heart.
Turning his mind away from the world, he focuses on the cosmic void of the absolute Lord.
He remains awake, and he does not lie.
He keeps the five sensory organs under his control.
He cherishes in his consciousness the Guru’s Teachings.
He dedicates his mind and body to the Lord’s Love.
He considers his hands to be the leaves and branches of the tree.
He does not lose his life in the gamble.
He plugs up the source of the river of evil tendencies.
Turning away from the west, he makes the sun rise in the east.
He bears the unbearable, and the drops trickle down within; Then, he speaks with the Lord of the world.
The four-sided lamp illuminates the Tenth Gate.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib(Raamkalee, Word of Banee Ji, p. 974)

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India

Dear Khalsa Ji,

Dasham Dwar is not a physical opening like the other nine openings in human body. It is a a path way to link up with 'The Sat', it is a state of being. When one resonates with 'Shabad' i.e. when the individual has incorporated the teachings of the 'Siri Guru Granth Sahib' in her or his being, then the individual stands linked with 'The Sat'. This is a state of being. As we all know 'The Sat' is nirakaar, 'The Sat' does not need a physical entrance i.e. dwar. Hence one should not think that it is a physical opening that has to be found.

Dasam Dwar is a state of being in which the individual stands linked with 'The Sat'.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

Jul 30, 2004
world

Gurfateh

another name is Sahas Dal Kamal ie Thousend petal lotus located in top of forehead.It is gland with flesh tissues in thousends like petal called penial gland.Das request Bro HPS and Dr Khalsa Ji and other including Dr Manbir Singh Ji to put some light on that.

So far scince could not understand much about this gland.

stupidjassi

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
mississauga, ON

No Dont think its a state. that`s wht everyone think who do not want to belive on metaphysical stuff. If it were a state, it shouldn`t be called Dasam Dwar. then it should be known as Dasam State. But its a gate.

stupidjassi
PS.
Listen carefully what i found

Body is vehical, Mind is driver .

Nagree ekai nayu darvaaje dhaavat varaj rahaayee. Trikutee shootai dasvaa dar khoolai taa man kheevaa bhaayee: There are nine gates to the one city of the body; restrain your mind from escaping through them. When the knot of the three qualities of Maya is untied, then the Tenth Gate opens up, and the mind is intoxicated, O Siblings of Destiny (sggs 1124).

Dear Khalsa Ji,

Dasham Dwar is not a physical opening like the other nine openings in human body. It is a a path way to link up with 'The Sat', it is a state of being. When one resonates with 'Shabad' i.e. when the individual has incorporated the teachings of the 'Siri Guru Granth Sahib' in her or his being, then the individual stands linked with 'The Sat'. This is a state of being. As we all know 'The Sat' is nirakaar, 'The Sat' does not need a physical entrance i.e. dwar. Hence one should not think that it is a physical opening that has to be found.

Dasam Dwar is a state of being in which the individual stands linked with 'The Sat'.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

stupidjassi

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
mississauga, ON

Gurfateh

another name is Sahas Dal Kamal ie Thousend petal lotus located in top of forehead.It is gland with flesh tissues in thousends like petal called penial gland.Das request Bro HPS and Dr Khalsa Ji and other including Dr Manbir Singh Ji to put some light on that.

So far scince could not understand much about this gland.

penial gland is not dasam dwar. its alleged place of third eye .

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand

Respected jassi ji,

No one need answer this as it cannot be answered as only Guru can guide us. There are clear cut references to this in bani. If required, it can be discussed endlessly.

It has also been stated in bani that it is difficult to unlock this gate without the grace of Guru.

I shall not intellectualize on this further as it would be a state of the one who is in attuned to/with the Lord. I do appreciate your keenness but every thing comes to us with HIS grace .Even common understanding of the things is also HIS grace.

One out of millions gets such kind of chance.

Seek the guidance from the one who has created us. We are all in the same state of affairs. Someone may be closer and someone like me have yet to begin the journey that may be spread over many lives . Who knows?

No answer to this will ever satisfies you. You should do some research yourself.

All I can suggest is to 'google out' and read as many articles as possible but the end result may not be encouraging.

Kindly keep on practicing sikhi and God willing one day may be, you get the answer. Internet is full of articles on Dasam dwaar. I can suggest many sites as well. But I prefer to not to do this.

Ang 490

Goojaree, Third Mehl:
It is so difficult to obtain the Naam, the Name of the Lord, in this age; only the Gurmukh obtains it.
Without the Name, no one is liberated; let anyone make other efforts, and see. ||1||
I am a sacrifice to my Guru; I am forever a sacrifice to Him.
Meeting the True Guru, the Lord comes to dwell in the mind, and one remains absorbed in Him. ||1||Pause||
When God instills His fear, a balanced detachment springs up in the mind.
Through this detachment, the Lord is obtained, and one remains absorbed in the Lord. ||2||
He alone is liberated, who conquers his mind; Maya does not stick to him again.
He dwells in the Tenth Gate, and obtains the understanding of the three worlds. ||3||
O Nanak, through the Guru, one becomes the Guru; behold, His Wondrous Will.

This deed was done by the Creator Lord; one's light merges into the Light. ||4||3||5||

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Let's bring together the various tuks on Dasam Dwar (Tenth Door) and then decide on it. Stupidjassi is doing a good thing in bringing this very important matter up again.

Here's one tuk:-

ਗੁਰਦੁਆਰੈ ਲਾਇ ਭਾਵਨੀ ਇਕਨਾ ਦਸਵਾ ਦੁਆਰੁ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ ॥

गुरदुआरै लाइ भावनी इकना दसवा दुआरु दिखाइआ ॥
Gurḏu*ārai lā*ė bẖāvnī iknā ḏasvā ḏu*ār ḏikẖā*i*ā.
Through the Gurdwara, the Guru's Gate, some are blessed with loving faith, and the Tenth Door is revealed to them.
Guru Amar Das - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

ਸਿਵ ਕੀ ਪੁਰੀ ਬਸੈ ਬੁਧਿ ਸਾਰੁ
सिव की पुरी बसै बुधि सारु ॥
Siv kī purī basai buḏẖ sār.
In the City of God, sublime understanding prevails.
ਤਹ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਮਿਲਿ ਕੈ ਕਰਹੁ ਬਿਚਾਰੁ
तह तुम्ह मिलि कै करहु बिचारु ॥
Ŧah ṯumĥ mil kai karahu bicẖār.
There, you shall meet with the Lord, and reflect on Him.
ਈਤ ਊਤ ਕੀ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਰੈ
ईत ऊत की सोझी परै ॥
Īṯ ūṯ kī sojẖī parai.
Thus, you shall understand this world and the next.
ਕਉਨੁ ਕਰਮ ਮੇਰਾ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਮਰੈ ॥੧॥
कउनु करम मेरा करि करि मरै ॥१॥
Ka­un karam mėrā kar kar marai. ||1||
What is the use of claiming that you own everything, if you only die in the end? ||1||
ਨਿਜ ਪਦ ਊਪਰਿ ਲਾਗੋ ਧਿਆਨੁ
निज पद ऊपरि लागो धिआनु ॥
Nij paḏ ūpar lāgo ḏẖi­ān.
I focus my meditation on my inner self, deep within.
ਰਾਜਾ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੋਰਾ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
राजा राम नामु मोरा ब्रहम गिआनु ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Rājā rām nām morā barahm gi­ān. ||1|| rahā­o.
The Name of the Sovereign Lord is my spiritual wisdom. ||1||Pause||
ਮੂਲ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਬੰਧਿਆ ਬੰਧੁ
मूल दुआरै बंधिआ बंधु ॥
Mūl ḏu­ārai banḏẖi­ā banḏẖ.
In the first chakra, the root chakra, I have grasped the reins and tied them.
ਰਵਿ ਊਪਰਿ ਗਹਿ ਰਾਖਿਆ ਚੰਦੁ
रवि ऊपरि गहि राखिआ चंदु ॥
Rav ūpar geh rākẖi­ā cẖanḏ.
I have firmly placed the moon above the sun.
ਪਛਮ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਸੂਰਜੁ ਤਪੈ
पछम दुआरै सूरजु तपै ॥
Pacẖẖam ḏu­ārai sūraj ṯapai.
The sun blazes forth at the western gate.
ਮੇਰ ਡੰਡ ਸਿਰ ਊਪਰਿ ਬਸੈ ॥੨॥
मेर डंड सिर ऊपरि बसै ॥२॥
Mėr dand sir ūpar basai. ||2||
Through the central channel of the Shushmanaa, it rises up above my head. ||2||
ਪਸਚਮ ਦੁਆਰੇ ਕੀ ਸਿਲ ਓੜ
पसचम दुआरे की सिल ओड़ ॥
Pascẖam ḏu­ārė kī sil oṛ.
There is a stone at that western gate,
ਤਿਹ ਸਿਲ ਊਪਰਿ ਖਿੜਕੀ ਅਉਰ
तिह सिल ऊपरि खिड़की अउर ॥
Ŧih sil ūpar kẖiṛkī a­or.
and above that stone, is another window.
ਖਿੜਕੀ ਊਪਰਿ ਦਸਵਾ ਦੁਆਰੁ
खिड़की ऊपरि दसवा दुआरु ॥
Kẖiṛkī ūpar ḏasvā ḏu­ār.
Above that window is the Tenth Gate.
ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਅੰਤੁ ਪਾਰੁ ॥੩॥੨॥੧੦॥
कहि कबीर ता का अंतु न पारु ॥३॥२॥१०॥
Kahi Kabīr ṯā kā anṯ na pār. ||3||2||10||
Says Kabeer, it has no end or limitation. ||3||2||10||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

ਰਵਿ ਸਸਿ ਲਉਕੇ ਇਹੁ ਤਨੁ ਕਿੰਗੁਰੀ ਵਾਜੈ ਸਬਦੁ ਨਿਰਾਰੀ ॥੭॥
रवि ससि लउके इहु तनु किंगुरी वाजै सबदु निरारी ॥७॥

Rav sas la­ukė ih ṯan kingurī vājai sabaḏ nirārī. ||7||
The right and left nostrils, the sun and the moon channels, are the strings of the body-harp; they vibrate the wondrous melody of the Shabad. ||7||
(page 907)

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਆਨੰਤਾ ਗੀਤ ਕਬਿਤ ਗਾਵਉਗੋ
बेद पुरान सासत्र आनंता गीत कबित न गावउगो ॥
Bėḏ purān sāsṯar ānanṯā gīṯ kabiṯ na gāv­ogo.
There are countless Vedas, Puraanas and Shaastras; I do not sing their songs and hymns.

ਅਖੰਡ ਮੰਡਲ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਮਹਿ ਅਨਹਦ ਬੇਨੁ ਬਜਾਵਉਗੋ ॥੧॥
अखंड मंडल निरंकार महि अनहद बेनु बजावउगो ॥१॥
Akẖand mandal nirankār meh anhaḏ bėn bajāv­ogo. ||1||
In the imperishable realm of the Formless Lord, I play the flute of the unstruck sound current. ||1||

ਬੈਰਾਗੀ ਰਾਮਹਿ ਗਾਵਉਗੋ
बैरागी रामहि गावउगो ॥
Bairāgī rāmeh gāv­ogo.
Becoming detached, I sing the Lord's Praises.

ਸਬਦਿ ਅਤੀਤ ਅਨਾਹਦਿ ਰਾਤਾ ਆਕੁਲ ਕੈ ਘਰਿ ਜਾਉਗੋ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
सबदि अतीत अनाहदि राता आकुल कै घरि जाउगो ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Sabaḏ aṯīṯ anāhaḏ rāṯā ākul kai gẖar jā­ugo. ||1|| rahā­o.
Imbued with the unattached, unstruck Word of the Shabad, I shall go to the home of the Lord, who has no ancestors. ||1||Pause||

ਇੜਾ ਪਿੰਗੁਲਾ ਅਉਰੁ ਸੁਖਮਨਾ ਪਉਨੈ ਬੰਧਿ ਰਹਾਉਗੋ
इड़ा पिंगुला अउरु सुखमना पउनै बंधि रहाउगो ॥
Iṛā pingulā a­or sukẖmanā pa­unai banḏẖ rahā­ugo.
Then, I shall no longer control the breath through the energy channels of the Ida, Pingala and Shushmanaa.

ਚੰਦੁ ਸੂਰਜੁ ਦੁਇ ਸਮ ਕਰਿ ਰਾਖਉ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਜਾਉਗੋ ॥੨॥
चंदु सूरजु दुइ सम करि राखउ ब्रहम जोति मिलि जाउगो ॥२॥
Cẖanḏ sūraj ḏu­ė sam kar rākẖa­o barahm joṯ mil jā­ugo. ||2||
I look upon both the moon and the sun as the same, and I shall merge in the Light of God. ||2||

stupidjassi

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
mississauga, ON

Ahh! ....i Totally Agree

Respected jassi ji,

No one need answer this as it cannot be answered as only Guru can guide us. There are clear cut references to this in bani. If required, it can be discussed endlessly.

It has also been stated in bani that it is difficult to unlock this gate without the grace of Guru.

I shall not intellectualize on this further as it would be a state of the one who is in attuned to/with the Lord. I do appreciate your keenness but every thing comes to us with HIS grace .Even common understanding of the things is also HIS grace.

One out of millions gets such kind of chance.

Seek the guidance from the one who has created us. We are all in the same state of affairs. Someone may be closer and someone like me have yet to begin the journey that may be spread over many lives . Who knows?

No answer to this will ever satisfies you. You should do some research yourself.

All I can suggest is to 'google out' and read as many articles as possible but the end result may not be encouraging.

Kindly keep on practicing sikhi and God willing one day may be, you get the answer. Internet is full of articles on Dasam dwaar. I can suggest many sites as well. But I prefer to not to do this.

Ang 490

Goojaree, Third Mehl:
It is so difficult to obtain the Naam, the Name of the Lord, in this age; only the Gurmukh obtains it.
Without the Name, no one is liberated; let anyone make other efforts, and see. ||1||
I am a sacrifice to my Guru; I am forever a sacrifice to Him.
Meeting the True Guru, the Lord comes to dwell in the mind, and one remains absorbed in Him. ||1||Pause||
When God instills His fear, a balanced detachment springs up in the mind.
Through this detachment, the Lord is obtained, and one remains absorbed in the Lord. ||2||
He alone is liberated, who conquers his mind; Maya does not stick to him again.
He dwells in the Tenth Gate, and obtains the understanding of the three worlds. ||3||
O Nanak, through the Guru, one becomes the Guru; behold, His Wondrous Will.

This deed was done by the Creator Lord; one's light merges into the Light. ||4||3||5||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

ਕੁੰਡਲਨੀ ਸੁਰਝੀ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਪਰਮਾਨੰਦ ਗੁਰੂ ਮੁਖਿ ਮਚਾ ॥
कुंडलनी सुरझी सतसंगति परमानंद गुरू मुखि मचा ॥
Kundlanī surjẖī saṯsangaṯ parmānanḏ gurū mukẖ macẖā.
The Kundalini rises in the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation; through the Word of the Guru, they enjoy the Lord of Supreme Bliss.
[SIZE=-1]Page 1402, Line 10
http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=1402&L=10&id=59608[/SIZE]

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

TRIKUTI

When the knot of the three qualities of Maya is untied, then the Tenth
Gate opens up, and the mind is intoxicated, O brother (sggs 1123).
<><><><>

Trikuti (Tri+Kuti) is a Sanskrit word, which literally means "the confluence of the three". But the question one may ask is: the confluence of what three? The focus of this Gurbani Reflection is to ascertain through the Gurbani as to what these three are referred to here by Bhagat Kabeer Sahib Jee.
  • bwr bwr hir ky gun gwvau ] gur gim Bydu su hir kw pwvau ]1]rhwau]Awidq krY Bgiq AwrMB ] kwieAw mMdr mnsw QMB ] Aihinis AKMf surhI jwie ] qau Anhd byxu shj mih bwie ]1] somvwir sis AMimRqu JrY ] cwKq byig sgl ibKu hrY ] bwxI roikAw rhY duAwir ] qau mnu mqvwro pIvnhwru ]2]mMglvwry ly mwhIiq ] pMc cor kI jwxY rIiq ] Gr CofyN bwhir ijin jwie ] nwqru Krw irsY hY rwie ]3]buDvwir buiD krY pRgwsu ] ihrdY kml mih hir kw bwsu ] gur imil doaU eyk sm DrY ] aurD pMk lY sUDw krY ]4]ibRhspiq ibiKAw dyie bhwie ] qIin dyv eyk sMig lwie ] qIin ndI qh iqRkutI mwih ] Aihinis ksml Dovih nwih ]5]suik®qu shwrY su ieh bRiq cVY ] Anidnu Awip Awp isau lVY ] surKI pWcau rwKY sbY ] qau dUjI idRsit n pYsY kbY ]6]Qwvr iQru kir rwKY soie ] joiq dIvtI Gt mih joie ] bwhir BIqir BieAw pRgwsu ] qb hUAw sgl krm kw nwsu ]7]jb lgu Gt mih dUjI Awn ]qau lau mhil n lwBY jwn ]rmq rwm isau lwgo rMgu ]kih kbIr qb inrml AMg ]8]1]: Baar baar hari ke gun gaavau...: Sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord again and again. Meeting with the Guru, you will come to know the mystery of the Lord. ||1||Pause|| Sunday, begin the devotional worship of the Lord, and restrain the desires within the temple of the body. When your attention is focused day and night upon that imperishable place, then the celestial flutes play the unstruck melody in tranquil peace and poise. ||1|| Monday, the Amrit trickles down from the moon. Tasting it, all poisons (impurities) are removed in an instant. Restrained by Gurbani, the mind remains indoors; drinking in this Amrit, it gets intoxicated. ||2|| Tuesday, understand reality; you must know the way the five thieves (faults of the false ego-sense or Haume: lust, anger, greed, attachment and self-conceit) work. Those who leave their own home (inner home) to go out wandering will feel the terrible wrath of the Lord, their King. ||3|| Wednesday, one should enlighten his understanding. So the Lord may come to dwell in the lotus of the heart. Meeting the Guru, one comes to look alike upon pleasure and pain, and the inverted lotus (of his heart) is turned upright. ||4|| Thursday, wash off your corruption. Forsake the trinity (or three modes of Maya), and attach yourself to One God.(Those who give up the Praises of the Lord and continue living in Mayaic consciousness) they remain (submerged) at the confluence of the three rivers (of Maya's three-qualities); they sin day and night; (since the remain devoid of God's Praises) and they do not wash them ||5|| Friday, keep up and complete your fast of practising endurance; day and night, you must combat against your ownself (i.e., false self). If you restrain your five senses, then you will not cast your glance on another. ||6|| Saturday, keep the candle of God's Light steady within your heart; you will be enlightened, inwardly and outwardly. All your Kaarmic actions will be erased. ||7|| Know that as long as you place your hopes in others, you will not find the Lord's Presence. When you embrace love for the Omnipresent Lord, says Kabeer, then, you will become pure in the Heart ||8||1|| (sggs 344).
There is a wide variety of interpretations of "Trikuti" that can be found in the various Gurmukhi Teekaas or English translations of Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) available in the market. This confusion may be the upshot of the fact that Baabaa Nanak and Kabeer Sahib, for example, have repeatedly used many purely mystical or esoteric terms and expressions common to all Indian religions or traditions. However, Baabaa Nanak's or Kabeer Sahib's use of these mystical or esoteric terms (i.e. Taantric and Yogic terms) does not plausibly follow that they actually practiced themselves or conceivably suggested their practice to cohorts. This simply means they have used such technical esoteric terms only as figurative speech which were current and handy for use and were generally understood among advanced mystical orders of their time. In fact the Gurus and Bhagtas had many discussions during their time with Yogis, Saadhoos and ascetics of various mystical cults and denominations. Actually the Gurus and the Bhagatas had their own mystical message to convey to the humankind, which was original with them.
Having said that, some Gurmukhi Teekaa of the SGGS interprets as Kabeer Sahib suggesting here "Trikuti" to mean the confluence of the three main Naarhees (arteries) — Irhaa, Pinglaa and Sushumanaa that interconnect the Chakras or subtle energy centers of the human body. However, Kabeer Sahib would not be suggesting that because, as said before, he neither practiced Yoga himself nor suggested its practice to followers. Other Teeka of the SGGS interprets as Kabeer Sahib suggesting here the confluence of the three rivers — Gangaa, Jamunaa and Saraswati — that takes place in Trikuti. As we will see, this interpretation does not seem to be apt either. Some Teeka suggest both the confluence of the three main Naarhees and the three rivers!
Some English translations of the SGGS interpret as Kabeer Sahib suggesting here three rivers namely knowledge, right action and devotion in which we are to wash our sins or mistakes. This is not plausibly either, because they are incorrectly interpreting the word "Naahi" (nwih) to mean "to bathe or wash". In reality, the word "Naahi" means "no".

Then what does Kabeer Sahib really mean by "Trikuti"? Well, let's dig up help and guidance from the Gurbani itself. On page 1123 of the SGGS, in an another Shabad, Kabeer Sahib gives us the clue as to what this "Trikuti" really is. He says:
  • rI klvwir gvwir mUF miq aulto pvnu iPrwvau ] mnu mqvwr myr sr BwTI AMimRq Dwr cuAwvau ]1] bolhu BeIAw rwm kI duhweI ] pIvhu sMq sdw miq durlB shjy ipAws buJweI ]1] rhwau ] BY ibic Bwau Bwie koaU bUJih hir rsu pwvY BweI ] jyqy Gt AMimRqu sB hI mih BwvY iqsih pIAweI ]2] ngrI eykY nau drvwjy Dwvqu brij rhweI ] iqRkutI CUtY dsvw dru KUl@Y qw mnu KIvw BweI ]3] ABY pd pUir qwp qh nwsy kih kbIr bIcwrI ] aubt clµqy iehu mdu pwieAw jYsy KoNd KumwrI ]4]3]: Ree kalavaar gavaar moodh mati oulato pavan firaavou. Manu matavaar mer sar bhaathee amrit dhaar chuaavou. ||1|| Bolahu bhayeeaa raam kee duhaaee. Peevahu sa(n)t sadaa mati duralabh sahaje piaas bujhaaee ||1|| Rahaaou || Bhai bich bhaaou bhaai kooo boojhuhi har ras paavai bhaaee || Jete ghatt amrit sabh hee mahi bhaavai tisahi peeaaee ||2|| Nagaree ekai naou daravaaje dhaavat baraj rahaaee || Trikuti chute daswaa dar khule taa manu kheewaa bhaaee. Abhai pada poor taap tah naase kahi kabeer beechaaree || Oubat chala(n)te ihu mada paaiaa jaise kho(n)d khumaaree ||4||3||: You barbaric brute of primitive (foolish) intellect - reverse your breath (mind or consciousness) and turn it inward. Let your mind be intoxicated with the stream of Amrit (of the Lord's Name) which trickles down from the furnace of the Tenth Gate. ||1|| O brother, repeat again and again the Lord's Name. O Saints, drink in this wine (of the Amrit of the Lord's Name) forever so difficult to obtain and it will easily quenche your thirst (for Maya). ||1||Pause|| In the Fear (respect) of God, is the Love of God. Only those few who understand His Love obtain the sublime essence of the Lord, O brother. As many hearts as there are - in all of them, is His Amrit (of the Name); as He pleases, He causes them to drink it in. ||2|| There are nine gates (these are: two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, one mouth, one genital, and one ****) to the one city of the body; restrain your mind from escaping through them. When the knot of the three qualities of Maya is untied, then the Tenth Gate opens up, and the mind becomes intoxicated, O brother ||3|| When the mortal fully realizes the state of fearlessness, then his sufferings vanish; so says Kabeer after careful deliberation. Turning away from the world (i.e. Maya), I have obtained this wine, and I am intoxicated with it as if with the grape wine ||4||3|| (sggs 1123).
On the same page, in an another Shabad that comes before the foregoing Shabad, Kabeer Sahib lists these three qualities of Maya as (1) Saatava (Sat or Sato), (2) Raajas (Raj or Rajo), and (3) Taamas (Tam or Tamo). In English, these three modes can be called goodness, passion and ignorance, respectively. They are like intertwined strands of the winding cord or rope, a delusive force inherent in the creation. Through this sphere, all embodied beings are hold in bondage. The Gurbani time and again reveals to us that Maya's delusive force makes us (a) forget the Self ("Hari Visrai"), (b) it gives rise to emotional attachment ("Moh Upjai"), and (c) it creates duality ("Bhaau Doojaa") or the notion of "other" where there is none. In an another Shabad Kabeer Sahib says that everything will eventually get tired, fade away or vanish, but not this Maya.
  • rj gux qm gux sq gux khIAY ieh qyrI sB mwieAw]cauQy pd kau jo nru cIn@Y iqn@ hI prm pdu pwieAw: Raj gun tam gun sat gun kaheeai ih teri sabh maya. Chauthe pad kau jo nar cheenai tin hee param pad paya: Raajas, Taamas, and Saatav modes are the creations of Your Maya. The man who realizes the Fourth State; he alone obtains the Supreme Status (sggs 1123).
  • qRY gux mwieAw mohu pswrw sB vrqY AwkwrI]qurIAw guxu sqsMgiq pweIAY ndrI pwir auqwrI: Trai gun maya moh pasara sabh varte aakari...: The three qualitied mammon or Maya is pervading all the embodied beings. In the Sat Sangat, the company of the Truth, the state of Turiya (Supreme or Pure Awareness) is attained. The Merciful God carries us across (sggs 1260).
  • eyh mwieAw ijqu hir ivsrY mohu aupjY Bwau dUjw lwieAw: Eh Maya jit Hari visrai moh upjai bhaau dooja laaiaa: This is Maya, by which the Lord is forgotten; emotional attachment and love of duality is born (sggs 921).
  • kih kbIr ijsu audru iqsu mwieAw: Kahi kabeer jis udar tis Maya: Says Kabeer, whoever has a belly to fill, is under the spell of Maya (sggs 1160).
  • Qwky nYn sRvn suin Qwky QwkI suMdir kwieAw ]jrw hwk dI sB miq QwkI eyk n Qwkis mwieAw ]1]bwvry qY igAwn bIcwru n pwieAw ]ibrQw jnmu gvwieAw ]1] rhwau ]: Thaake nain sravan sun thaake thaakee su(n)dar kaaiaa...: My eyes are exhausted, and my ears are tired of hearing; my beautiful body is exhausted. Driven forward by old age, all my senses are exhausted; only my attachment to Maya is not exhausted. ||1|| O mad man, you have not obtained spiritual wisdom (Giaan) and quest for Self (Vichaar). You have wasted and lost this human life ||1||Pause|| (sggs 793).
Clearly, Kabeer Sahib stresses here the absolute necessity of transcending the realm of the three-modes of material nature (Traiguna Maya). He says that the Chautha Pada (the Fourth State, Turiya-Avasthaa or the state of Pure Awareness) is experienced only when the "Trikuti" of Saatav, Raajas and Taamas is transcended. In other words, he says when the knot of the three qualities of Maya is untied, then the Tenth Gate (Dasam Dawaar) opens up. In short, realization of God-Consciousness is the opening of the Tenth Gate by rising above the trinity of Saatav, Raajas and Taamas. Hence, according to Kabeer Sahib, "Trikuti" is the sphere of Maya wherein matter predominates over Spirit. In this sphere, the Kaarmic law of repeated suffering works in full swing. Therefore, he accentuates one must be go beyond Maya to realize one's True Nature as Pure Awareness. Going beyond Maya or the gross realm of material is synonymous with many other esoteric terms and expressions such as opening of Bajjar Kapaat, opening of third eye, Sunn, Sunn Anaraagee, Sunn-Samaadhi, Sunn Kalaa, Panch-Shabad Jhunakaar, Shabad-Surati, Surati-Dhun, Ajappaa-Jaap, Akul Niranjan Deethaa, Sachee Nagree, Begampuraa, Nijghar, Kundilini Surjhee, Siv Kee Puree, Sasi Ghari Soor, Siv Sakti, Anhat Naad, Anhat Dhuni, Anhataa Shabad, Anhat Baaje, Anhat Baanee, Anhat Beenaa, Anhad Benu, Anhat Run Jhun, Anhat Sunn, Ounman, Dhandhookaar Niraalam, Sat Saroop, Guptee Baanee, Bees Ikees, Sat Saru, Sahaj-Avasthaa, Gurmukh state, understanding of Irhaa-Pinglaa-Sushumanaa, and so on. The compelling force of the illusory and deceptive effects of the triple-qualitied Maya are subtle and enticing. Thus, the greatest challenge for the individual in his ultimate quest for liberation from bondage due to the powerful sway of Maya that easily deludes and distracts one's efforts. But Maya is not easily overcome especially for those who have not conquered the lure of their senses. To counter this attraction towards the mirage-like world caused by Maya, we are asked to strive to gain knowledge of the Supreme Being and one's own Aatmaan. This can be achieved by practicing sincere devotion or Bhagti (Naam-Simran etc.) that is capable of ripping apart the veil of Maya. Therefore, since nothing is permanent (joy and sorrow from the worldly gain and loss etc.) one has to develop one's spiritual nature (rising up to the Tenth Gate) and learn to engage in sincere Bhagti. Cultivating truthful living, mercy, compassion, selflessness, love, spiritual wisdom, contentment, self-control, seeing the same One God in all (friendliness towards all), humility, maintaining equanimity of the mind in all circumstances, wholeheartedly following the Gurmat, becoming the Gurmukh and developing Sahaj-Avastha (natural state of being) etc. These are the guidelines suggested that can help an individual overcome the effects of Maya. However, according to the Gurbani, this is a difficult path to tread — it's like chewing the steel ***** or walking on a double-edged sword! Accordingly, Kabeer Sahib says how the mind that has become like an elephant (with inflated ego) can pass through this narrow gate ("less than one-tenth of a mustard seed").
  • khqu kbIr nvY Gr mUsy dsvYN qqu smweI: Kahat Kabeer navai ghar moose dasavai(n) tatu samaaee: Says Kabeer, the nine openings (these are: two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, one mouth, one genital, and one ****) of the body are being plundered; rise up to the Tenth Gate, and discover the true essence (sggs 339).
  • nwnk mwieAw kw mwrxu hir nwmu hY gurmuiK pwieAw jwie: Nanak Maya kaa maaran har naam hai gurmukh paaiaa jaai: O Nanak, the Lord's Name is the antidote to Maya; the Gurmukh obtain it (sggs 513).
  • bjr kpwt jVy jiV jwxY gur sbdI Kolwiedw: bajar kapaat jarre jarr jaanai gur sabadee kholaaidaa: The hard and heavy doors of the Tenth Gate (the state of spiritual enlightenment or Self-realization) are closed and locked. Through the Divine Word, they are thrown open (sggs 1033).
  • kbIr mukiq duAwrw sMkuVw rweI dsvY Bwie]mnu qau mYglu hoie rhw inkisAw ikau kir jwie]AYsw siqguru jy imlY quTw kry pswau ] mukiq duAwrw moklw shjy Awvau jwau: Kabeer mukati duaaraa sa(n)kurraa raaee dasavai bhaai...: O Kabeer, the gate of liberation is narrow, less than one-tenth of a mustard seed. The mind has become as big as an elephant; how can it pass through this gate? If one meets such a True Guru, who becoming mightily pleased, shows His Mercy. Then, the gate of liberation becomes wide open, and the soul can easily passes through (sggs 509).
  • gurmuiK AMqir shju hY mnu ciVAw dsvY Awkwis: Gurmukh antar sahj hai man charhi-aa dasvai aakaas: Within the Gurmukh is Sahaj; his mind ascends to the Tenth Plane (sggs 1414).
According to the Gurbani, Spiritual Experience such as Dasam Dawaar ( Spiritual Realization etc.) cannot be put into words. The analogy adduced in the Gurbani is that of a mute person (Goongaa) enjoying the taste of the sweet candy. If you ask that mute person to describe his experience of the taste of the sweet candy he is enjoying, he will remain silent. He will smile, but say nothing. Similarly, when it comes to verbalizing the Spiritual Experience (of Dasam Dawaar etc.), the Gurbani tells the person will become speechless and silent, like a mute. Because, such Spiritual Experience lies outside the perception of the gross equipment of our body-mind-intellect, beyond the purview of the state of our Haume-mind (egocentric existence). Therefore, the language, words or phrases of any sorts can never hope to express, communicate, define or report upon It. One has to experience himself within. In other words, God-Experience cannot be described, given as a gift or made to an order. Here the Gurbani is simply trying to make us aware that if someone makes claims to the contrary, watch out!
  • ibsm ibsm ibsm hI BeI hY lwl gulwl rMgwrY ] khu nwnk sMqn rsu AweI hY ijau cwiK gUMgw muskwrY: Bisam bisam bisam hee bhayee hai laal gulaal rangaare. Kahu Nanak santan ras aayee hai jiyu chaakhi goongaa muskaare: I am wonder-struck, wonder-struck, wonder-struck and amazed, dyed in the deep crimson color of my Beloved. Says Nanak, the saintly souls savor this sublime essence, like the mute, who tastes the sweet candy, but only smiles (sggs 1302).
  • khxw hY ikCu khxu n jweI: Kahnaa hai kish kahan na jaae: People describe God, but He cannot be described at all (sggs 151).

— T. Singh

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand

All that naamjap ji is doing is commendable.

I am reproducing another shabad that contains the essence as to how to seek the blessings. There are many references to the sikh philosophical terms that we understand. In sikhism it is Naam and Simran that is the essence. As per some katha of Maskeen ji again the salvation is obtained by Simran.

Incidentally tenth gate has an allusion to the crown chakra that is stated to be on the top of head,. For me it is only a theoretical interpretation. If one is able to reach the opening of this chakra there is lot of release of energy as per Kundalni Jagran/awakening. But all this is the practice of yogis; we ,sikhs, are simple people and have been told that everything for us happens when we are in sangat. The tenth gate's unlocking and kundalini awakening are same. But all that I tell is from the readings and i do not understand this very much. There are no effective teachers of kundalini.

Those who reach this stage do not express and those who have not attained this stage can only make an effort to understand and share the perceptions of the things stated.

ang 124
Maajh, Third Mehl:

Within this cave, there is an inexhaustible treasure.
Within this cave, the Invisible and Infinite Lord abides.
He Himself is hidden, and He Himself is revealed; through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, selfishness and conceit are eliminated. ||1||
I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to those who enshrine the Ambrosial Naam, the Name of the Lord, within their minds.
The taste of the Ambrosial Naam is very sweet! Through the Guru's Teachings, drink in this Ambrosial Nectar. ||1||Pause||
Subduing egotism, the rigid doors are opened.
The Priceless Naam is obtained by Guru's Grace.
Without the Shabad, the Naam is not obtained. By Guru's Grace, it is implanted within the mind. ||2||
The Guru has applied the true ointment of spiritual wisdom to my eyes.
Deep within, the Divine Light has dawned, and the darkness of ignorance has been dispelled.
My light has merged into the Light; my mind has surrendered, and I am blessed with Glory in the Court of the Lord. ||3||
Those who look outside the body, searching for the Lord,
shall not receive the Naam; they shall instead be forced to suffer the terrible pains of slavery.
The blind, self-willed manmukhs do not understand; but when they return once again to their own home, then, as Gurmukh, they find the genuine article. ||4||
By Guru's Grace, the True Lord is found.
Within your mind and body, see the Lord, and the filth of egotism shall depart.
Sitting in that place, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord forever, and be absorbed in the True Word of the Shabad. ||5||
Those who close off the nine gates, and restrain the wandering mind,
come to dwell in the Home of the Tenth Gate.
There, the Unstruck Melody of the Shabad vibrates day and night. Through the Guru's Teachings, the Shabad is heard.
||6||
Without the Shabad, there is only darkness within.
The genuine article is not found, and the cycle of reincarnation does not end.
The key is in the hands of the True Guru; no one else can open this door. By perfect destiny, He is met. ||7||
You are the hidden and the revealed in all places.
Receiving Guru's Grace, this understanding is obtained.
O Nanak, praise the Naam forever; as Gurmukh, enshrine it within the mind. ||8||24||25||

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand

Another question:
Do we really know as to what are exactly the three qualities of maya that keep this nature going on.? I do not understand.

Another question
" Please explain cat to me"?
I cannot explain this in words though I know what a cat is.

I think Jassi ji we cannot share even as to what a cat is ,how can we know that is almost beyond comprehension. God is incomprehensible.
Only those blessed with HIS grace can know HIM and HIS secrets.
May Be you are that one in millions.

All the Luck .

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: