Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

What does Sikhi teach about attitudes towards infidels?

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by badshah, Jan 14, 2014.

1. badshah

badshah
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Hi

What does Sikhi teach about attitudes towards infidels(non believers in God)?

Please can someone share their thoughts on this?

Thanks

• Like Like x 3
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    What Does Meditation Mean In Sikhism? Questions and Answers Jul 6, 2014
    How does Sikhi help you through the tough times? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism May 13, 2013
    Sikhi? Does it Bring Kindness into Your Life? Inspirational Stories Feb 2, 2013
    One Infinite Creator in Sikhism, What Does it Mean? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Mar 12, 2012
    Does Sikhism embrace Mysticism? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Nov 24, 2011

3. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

The Abrahamic notion of infidelity is relative, a Christian is an infidel in eyes of a Muslim, Christians consider Hindus infidels and so on.....(I may be wrong, I don't vouch for this).

When it comes to the attitude of Sikhs towards Non-Sikhs, what better example can I give of Guru Nanak Sahib having a (so-called) lowly Muslim Mardana as his mate during his Udasees, Gurus having Non-Sikh balladeers Natha & Abdullah in their courts, and Guru Granth Sahib having the bani of people from many faith and spiritual traditions. I mean what scope does it leave for any explanations?

• Like Like x 8
  4. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Although Sikhi doesn't have anything to say about infidels (non-Sikhs) it does talk about slanderers and faithless cynics. I don't know if that's suitably related?

• Like Like x 1
  5. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

This is a very appropriate query Ishna Ji, this is a question that frequently comes to my mind.

I'll try to share as much I feel I'm confident with.

* What I feel is, wherever the adjectives of Manmukh(ਮਨਮੁਖ), Duhaagan(ਡੁਹਾਗਣ), Saakat(ਸਾਕਤ) have been used in the Gurbani they are shown in direct contrast to the Gurmat principles, in other words, they are used as a method of poetic contrast. Most of such Shabads end with the exaltation of Naam, Truthfulness and Gurmat, and that is pricesly what is meant by the use of these examples/words.

* Then there are portions of the bani where Gurbani authors use the negative and lowly epithets for themselves too.
    For example,

-In the Jap Ji Sahib Pauris with the refrain of ਅਸੰਖ which describe the many facets of the Creator's nature, Guru Nanak Sahib ends the Pauris with
    But in the Pauri which talks of thieves, ignorants and wrongdoers, Guru Sahib calls himself Nanak the lowly

Read this tuk by Bhagat Ravidas,
    Gurbani is composed entirely in poetry, and uses multiple figures of speech, so like any other form of poetry, the spirit of Gurbani too can only be understood only if the Shabad/Bani/Pauri is read in its entirety.

As far as I have experienced the Guru Granth Sahib and Sikhi principles, Sikhs are not encouraged or called to look down upon other faith traditions or 'non-believers', instead Sikhism advocates a free discourse. The heterogeneity of Gurbani authors is a shining example of that.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

I do not believe in 'God' and I am a Sikh, what exactly do you mean by 'God'?

• Like Like x 2
  7. badshah

badshah
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Sorry we cannot define God, it is beyond any definition

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

SAKAT sang na keejeyeah..DONT have Company with the SAKATS..thsoe who dont beleive in Him...the Creator. This is the Gurmatt position vis a vis those who deny the Creator. There are no infidels in Gurmatt...

9. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

untrue, God is defined in several religions, Sikhism is one of the few that do not, I need to know what your definition of God is, the abrahamic God? The Vedic God?

• Like Like x 2
  10. badshah

badshah
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I already told you, God is beyond a definition, it does not affiliate with anyone

You can give it any name, tree, brick, cloud, dihuh677681bxyjij .......... but no one can define it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUBMDUgJ9J4

11. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

the christians seem to think they have, should I tell them or shall I leave that to you?

12. badshah

badshah
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Erm, what does SPN think?

13. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

You seem to be struggling, allow me to make it simple

you cannot ask what Sikh attitudes to infidels are, without first defining infidels, so, if we define infidels as those that do not believe in god, which god?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God

although as you stated we cannot define god, we do however have attributes even in Sikhism, as stated in Mool Mantra, I think what you are trying to refer to is knowing god, rather than describing god

14. badshah

badshah
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

When I say God, I mean God of all gods, the God that made all of the other gods........

I did not know that there is more than one God, please explain, thanks

There is only one God, Hindus call him Bagwaan, Westerners call him God, Sikhs call him Waheguru, Muslims call him Allah

Same thing

B

15. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

In Christianity, god is in human form and you spend eternity by his side, he is also a he, in Sikhism god is formless and in exists in everything everywhere

same thing?

In Sikhism therefore there cannot be any infidels as everyone has god in then whether they like it or not, it is not a choice, you do not ask jesus to come into your life whilst on your knees, you just need to open up a frequency, vibrate at that frequency and bingo, we assist anyone infidel or not.

However there is a difference between a non believer, and one who connects with the dark side, the side of the self, the worship of the self, one who makes the self the master has made a choice, such is a dangerous being, as nothing stops in the way of desire, be it for money, power or beautiful women

• Like Like x 4
  16. badshah

badshah
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

If in Christianity god is in human form, what does he look like?

17. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

a human?

look I am not being funny but if I have to educate you on the most basic of basics, is there any point in our debate?

• Like Like x 2
  18. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

badshah ji

I do have to agree with harry ji ... You have 3 threads going that are pretty similar in tone. What is your agenda? Or are you bored?

• Like Like x 2
  19. badshah

badshah
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Have you got a portrait of him?

What colour eyes does he have?

Is he a black man?

20. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

you need to ask a Christian forum, I am not a Christian

• Like Like x 1
  21. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

Badshah ji you yourself a creator's child as far as Sikhism is concerned!

Who is your daddy or mother or creator? Define yourself and if you cannot then try scratching the head (sorry I am assuming as not everything in creation has head) and try to find answers within! Share some of the answers you are getting from within and we may have some questions to pose. Forum is not a one way street. The traffic flows both ways and many directions including asking and answering.

Badshah ji, what color are you? Black, brown, pink, red or yellow. Remember colors are a relative concept for humans as part of creation. To a dog you may look like many shades of gray and to a snake a fuzzy warm color indifferent animal!

Any thoughts!

Sat Sri Akal.

• Like Like x 3
    #20 Ambarsaria, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014