• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Does God Do For Us ?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I have established that there is no reward for me regardless what I do with my life, mind you, there is also no punishment either, so that is pretty even!

If God is not smiling at me with his perfect pearly white teeth everytime I help a lil old lady cross the road, if he is not frowning everytime I cut someone up in traffic, if all the events in the world are not caused by God, in his white loin cloth throwing lightning, if the starving do not cause God to cry and rain down so that crops can grow, if God is nothing but an energy, then what does it do for us? whats in it for us?

Well, I think the answer is grace, God gives us grace, Kirpa, the first online dictionary meaning gave me

Verb
<TABLE class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px">Do honor or credit to (someone or something) by one's presence.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

if that is what grace is, then I cannot think of anything better that could be gifted by Creator, it is something to be earned through actions, thoughts and speech.

Grace, I like this word, it is a beautiful word, if there is one person who has taught me grace, it is my wife, Sian, whose name I have just discovered translates directly into God's grace.

As always, I would be most interested to hear what others feel God does for us, thank you

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I'm not sure that this is on topic, but somehow I think it is...

Sometimes I get so frigging tired of my own pontificating that I want to throw up. I write like I have all the answers, when really I can hardly manage my own life.

My health is lousy, I cannot sleep and I am in constant physical pain. In addition, I have developed a full body itch that nothing seems to relieve.

Half the time my Nitnem is a mechanical matter that I get through and my simran is simran in name only. After Sohila, I always read a bit from SGGS ji on my pink Sony Reader. Sometimes I pay attention to what I'm reading and sometimes I don't. I often feel like I am going through the motions and just satisfying my ego. Even that I do poorly. I spend much more time listening to Dr. Hook and IRA songs - I really like Irish music a lot - than I do to kirtan.

Two days ago, I got so disgusted that I threw my kirpan, gatra and all, across the room, followed by my kara. Fortunately I was home alone and didn't injure anybody. It felt good, I admit, although I did immediately retrieve them and put them back where they belong. Back where I hope they belong.

I don't know what "God" does for me; I am only certain that this insane existence would be unlivable for me if I didn't feel there was some point to it. Why not call it grace? That's as good a word as any.

Gur parsad.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Sometimes I get so frigging tired of my own pontificating that I want to throw up. I write like I have all the answers, when really I can hardly manage my own life.

sisji, you do have a lot of the answers, it doesn't mean you follow them, knowing what to do, and doing are two seperate things, I am the same, I write well, but following my own advice sometimes is the hardest. Sometimes when I have a problem, or I am acting in a way that I am not happy about, I imagine writing a post about it. The 'SPN' me would tear it to shreds in seconds...

My health is lousy, I cannot sleep and I am in constant physical pain. In addition, I have developed a full body itch that nothing seems to relieve.

sis, I know you have spoken in the past about an absolute refusal to take any medication that takes your senses away, but would it not seem an idea just to get you through what is clearly a difficult time? just getting a few good nights sleep can make all the difference, and if you can take something to help that, it would make your life a bit easier, possibly

Half the time my Nitnem is a mechanical matter that I get through and my simran is simran in name only. After Sohila, I always read a bit from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji on my pink Sony Reader. Sometimes I pay attention to what I'm reading and sometimes I don't. I often feel like I am going through the motions and just satisfying my ego. Even that I do poorly. I spend much more time listening to Dr. Hook and IRA songs - I really like Irish music a lot - than I do to kirtan.

this is only my own personal opinion, but if you can take inspiration from a Dr Hook song, or irish music, which is also one of my favourites, especially clannad, and there are words in there that resonate with you and compatible with Gurbani, then I cannot see the problem, surely enjoying something is better than going through the motions, again, not from a long term view, but just during difficult periods,

Two days ago, I got so disgusted that I threw my kirpan, gatra and all, across the room, followed by my kara. Fortunately I was home alone and didn't injure anybody. It felt good, I admit, although I did immediately retrieve them and put them back where they belong. Back where I hope they belong.

They do not define you sis, anyone who knows you knows what you are about, and as you well know, you have more Sikhi in your little finger than most have in our entire hearts, I mean, look at the Chaleigh Mutke, they did far worse than that, and ended up in the Ardass!

I don't know what "God" does for me; I am only certain that this insane existence would be unlivable for me if I didn't feel there was some point to it. Why not call it grace? That's as good a word as any.
<TABLE class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px">.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 20px" class="vk_txt ts"><TBODY><TR><TD>Verb
<TABLE class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px">Do honor or credit to (someone or something) by one's presence.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 10px">the above could have been written for you............</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I remember watching a program once about driving.

they analyzed the 'vision' of new drivers to the 'vision' of experienced' drivers...
they realized that new drivers almost had a fixed vision on the road ahead...looking only so far, and seeing only a very limited aspect of what lies ahead.

Experienced drivers, were almost subconsciously moving their eyes all around, near and far...vision expanded...they were 'aware of more', 'Understood' their surrounding more...appreciated other road users and looked out for the safety of the walking public (obviously there are some who are not like this lol )

All those years avoiding pot holes, experiencing some road rage, experiencing the kindness of others giving them a safe passage through difficult junctions...the experience of kids screaming in the back and driving safely at the same time...all these wonderful experiences making them the drivers they are now...expanded vision and understanding :)

so for me, the creative mind of God, creates countless experiences for me on my journey through life...whether they are perceived as good or bad, they allow my consciousness, my 'driver' vision to grow and expand so that i can understand and appreciate all that exists around me and within me (God) in ways i could never imagine without these experiences...

Just my crazy thoughts....nothing more :)
God Bless...

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Chazji

Your absolutely right, sometimes when I am driving with my stepson, I will move lanes, or flash someone, before they indicate, only because I know they are about to move, or brake, by reading the road, and he will say, 'how did you know that', I always reply 'its not rocket science, its just reading the road, seeing whats going on, being prepared for all situations' , in my youth, I had a great fondness for driving fast, very fast, fast enough to go to prison! but it does teach you to absorb everything that is going on all around you, you watch every car like a hawk, as it only takes one {censored} to do something stupid and your toast, of course the irony that the one car doing something stupid was actually me, is not lost on me, but thats what age does to you, like most, I look at my past and cringe.

I think its an excellent analogy brother

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Chazji

Your absolutely right, sometimes when I am driving with my stepson, I will move lanes, or flash someone, before they indicate, only because I know they are about to move, or brake, by reading the road, and he will say, 'how did you know that', I always reply 'its not rocket science, its just reading the road, seeing whats going on, being prepared for all situations' , in my youth, I had a great fondness for driving fast, very fast, fast enough to go to prison! but it does teach you to absorb everything that is going on all around you, you watch every car like a hawk, as it only takes one {censored} to do something stupid and your toast, of course the irony that the one car doing something stupid was actually me, is not lost on me, but thats what age does to you, like most, I look at my past and cringe.

I think its an excellent analogy brother

That's right,

if we focus on the negative of each experience...we make the same mistakes over and over...

if we pick out a positive that we can work with, however small it is...then we move forward...consciousness expands...

I lose my job, wife starts to scream, anxiety kicks in, worries, fears...what am i going to do!! the world is falling apart around me...

or

I've lost my job, everyone around me is worried...but i always wanted to try something different...maybe i can try now...why not...maybe god heard my inner cry to do something different...a Cry that i was ignoring myself...but one He couldn't ignore..

Its hard to pick out the positives especially when certain types of events occur...but i can't see any reasoning for creation other than to experience both yin and yang and pass through both as a better more conscious person.

Just my thoughts again...nothing more

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: