• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Are The Benefits And Rewards For Living A Good Life In Conformity With Your Beliefs?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
By Balpreet Singh, The Ottawa Citizen July 11, 2010

Balpreet Sinh is legal counsel and acting executive director for the World Sikh Organization of Canada.

The key benefits of living a life in conformity with Sikh beliefs are twofold: understanding and fulfilment.

We all desire answers to some fundamental questions: Who am I? What is the purpose of my life? How can I achieve my purpose? Answering these questions is critical for fulfilment.

A belief in the Sikh faith provides the following understanding: We are spiritual beings living in a material world. Our true nature is spiritual and our desire for happiness and contentment cannot be fulfilled through material pleasures. Just as the human body has needs like food, water, clothing and shelter, the soul has needs as well. If we ignore the needs of the soul, fulfilment is not possible. Our soul desires an experience of the divine and a relationship with God. Life is an opportunity to experience and unite with God and only this union results in true bliss. That becomes possible through meditation on naam, or the name of God as revealed by the Guru.

The rewards and benefits of following a spiritual path, are available in the present and not in any distant future or in the life hereafter. If one is to experience and unite with God, it must happen in life. Meditation on naam and reflection on shabad, or the word of the Guru as enshrined in Sri Guru Granth Sahib, provide a tangible experience of the divine. A relationship with God and Guru is established, which is an eternal source of guidance and contentment. The Sikh faith provides a system for building this relationship and continually making it stronger.

So in short, living a life in conformity with Sikh beliefs results in life's purpose becoming clear and the experience of God becoming a reality. The resulting benefits are too numerous to quantify.

Read more: What are the benefits and rewards for living a good life inconformity with your beliefs?
[/COLOR][/LEFT]

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM