• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Legal What Amounts To Cruelty Against Husband?

Jan 1, 2010
What amounts to cruelty against husband? Though it is the duty of the court to decide the case based on facts and circumstances but what amounts to cruelty is an important aspect as misuse of Laws by the wife against husband in society is growing day by day and most apparently some Indian Urban educated women have turned the tables and are using these laws as weapon to unleash personal vendetta on their husbands and innocent relatives and there are certain grounds on which cruelty against husband can be proved:-

• Misuse of Dowry Laws, Domestic Violence Act and ‘Sec: 498-A’ of IPC by wife against husband and in-laws of husband through lodging false complaints.

• Desertion by wife which means wife deliberately intending for separation and to bring cohabitation permanently to an end.

• Adultery by the wife means wife having s*xual relationship with some other person during the lifetime of marriage and there must be strict law to punish wife who has committed adultery.

• Wife opting out for second marriage without applying for the divorce proceedings.

• Threatening to leave husband’s home and threat to commit suicide by the wife.

• Cruel behavior of wife where wife tearing the shirt of the husband, refusing to cook food properly or on time and breaking of the mangalsutra in the presence of husband’s relatives.

• Abusing and accusing husband by way of insulting in presence of in-laws and in some cases wife abusing husband in front of office staff members.

• Wife refusing to have s*x with husband without any sufficient reasons which can be considered as a ground of cruelty and husband can file a divorce petition.

• Lowering reputation of the husband by using derogatory words in presence of family members and elders.

• Lodging FIR against husband and in-laws which has later proved as false report.

• Conduct and misbehavior of the wife against husband i.e. pressuring husband to leave his home, insisting for the separate residence, mentally torture and disrespectful behavior towards husband and in-laws as well.

• Some other grounds of cruelty i.e. mental disorder and unsoundness of wife, Impotency of wife, illicit relationship of wife with some other person and Wife suffering from the filarial.

• Extra-marital affairs of wife can also be a ground of cruelty against the husband.

• Initiating criminal proceedings against husband and in-laws of husband with mala-fide intention by the wife.

CASE LAWS: situations in Hindu marriage where a wife was held as ‘cruel’ to the husband and the Hindu divorce law was applied by the Supreme Court:

I. Mrs. Deepalakshmi Saehia Zingade v/s Sachi Rameshrao Zingade (AIR 2010 Bom 16)
In this case petitioner/wife filed a false case against her husband on the ground of ‘Husband Having Girl Friend’ which is proved as false in a court of law so it can be considered as cruelty against husband.

II. Anil Bharadwaj v Nimlesh Bharadwaj (AIR 1987 Del 111)
According to this case a wife who refuses to have s*xual intercourse with the husband without giving any reason was proved as sufficient ground which amounts to cruelty against husband.

III. Kalpana v. Surendranath (AIR 1985 All 253)
According to this case it has been observed that where a wife who refuses to prepare tea for the husband’s friends was declared by the court as cruelty to husband.

Though the amendments introduced in the penal code are with the laudable object of eradicating the evil of Dowry, such provisions cannot be allowed to be misused by the parents and the relatives of a psychopath wife who may have chosen to end her life for reason which may be many other than cruelty. The glaring reality cannot be ignored that the ugly trend of false implications in view to harass and blackmail an innocent spouse and his relatives, i.e. fast emerging. A strict law need to be passed by the parliament for saving the institution of marriage and to punish those women who are trying to misguide the court by filing false reports just to make the life of men miserable and ‘justice should not only be done but manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done’.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
refusing to cook food properly or on time
this is considered cruelty against the husband????? Why can't the husband cook sometimes??

According to this case it has been observed that where a wife who refuses to prepare tea for the husband’s friends was declared by the court as cruelty to husband.
Again... why couldn't the husband make the tea?

It seems to me that the above, while I agree with much of it (both ways - the same could be said of a husband doing these things against a wife) but not making tea or not wanting to cook sometimes is considered cruelty?? wow.... I think the men in these cases need to learn to help out around the house sometimes and then they might appreciate more what their wives do for them!

Jan 1, 2010
this is considered cruelty against the husband????? Why can't the husband cook sometimes??

It seems to me that the above, while I agree with much of it (both ways - the same could be said of a husband doing these things against a wife) but not making tea or not wanting to cook sometimes is considered cruelty?? wow.... I think the men in these cases need to learn to help out around the house sometimes and then they might appreciate more what their wives do for them!
Akasha ji,
No doubt in Indian scenierio it is considered cruelty and your question is right why not the husband sometimes cook himself. The Court would have decided after going through all the aspects and after going through pros and cons of various factors the court would have decided, the decision will not be based on the single instance. Secondly not to prepare tea for the friends have been considered as cruelty, it will be based on the series of neglect by the wife. Everybody has the opinion that a single instance is not considered as cruelty but the neglect made in series is considered as cruelty.
In India most of the household chores are being done by wives because they are homely and have to devote all of their time at home. But now-a-days in the cities and towns most of the women don't do any household chore and from petty job of cleaning of dish plates, washing of clothes and dusting, brooming all such type of household chores are being done by domestic help, Even then the wives complain of getting tired without doing anything whole of the day.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

Quite a lot i agree with just like yourself, but on the couple of things you pointed out...

I think everyone should always have to the intention to do things themselves, unless another person kindly offers :)

When you're expecting the other person to do things for you as their duty, i think it can get a bit silly...concerning tea, cooking etc...

God Bless

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: